Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Dunno if anyone's seen this buuuuuuutt.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/covid-passports-are-coming-not-easy-build-rcna554

Spoiler

The Biden administration said this week that it won’t build a national vaccination app, leaving it to the private sector to create mobile digital passports that can prove people have been vaccinated for Covid-19. 

But that doesn’t mean the White House is going to be hands-off. 

Technologists and consultants who are helping to design future digital vaccine cards said they are counting on the Biden administration to provide federal support for the effort, even if officials are working mostly behind the scenes to shape decisions related to privacy or where vaccine passports could be deployed. 

“This is something that can’t be driven exclusively by the private sector,” said Dakota Gruener, executive director of ID2020, a nonprofit group that’s working on digital identification and is part of a collaborative on health passes. 

A scramble has been growing for months among big tech companies, nonprofits and state agencies to try to invent a secure electronic method for storing and sharing vaccination records and coronavirus test results — in short, something more sophisticated and private than a photo of a paper vaccine card. 

1616072111159_tdy_news_8a_harman_coronavirus_passport_210318_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

A vaccine passport might display a QR code that a business could scan to check vaccination status, or it might show something simpler like a green checkmark or red X. 

But the various projects face a host of challenges, including how to prevent forged records, how to protect health privacy and how to make sure different apps work with each other. Decisions on those questions could reverberate for years, said Jenny Wanger, director of programs at Linux Foundation Public Health, a nonprofit that’s advising on the development of basic standards

“What is really necessary to get this going is to make sure it works, to make sure things are interoperable and to make sure we’re not going forward with the ‘move fast and break things’ philosophy,” Wanger said, referring to a former motto at Facebook. 

“If you make compromises on some of those foundational principles like privacy and open standards, it’s very hard to make those sorts of decisions go away,” she said. 

Experts said they expect high demand for digital proof of vaccination in the next few months. Businesses as wide-ranging as airlines, office-based employers or even Krispy Kreme doughnut shops could ask to see evidence before allowing entry or serving a customer. Outside the U.S., Qatar Airways and other airlines have tested an app meant to provide proof of vaccinations and negative test results.

Madison Square Garden has been one of the test sites for the Excelsior Pass, an effort by New York state based on technology from IBM. And Walmart has said that people who've been vaccinated at thousands of its stores will be able to get a digital vaccine card.

"What it really is, is putting health data in a security digital envelope," said Paul Meyer, CEO of The Commons Project, a nonprofit that has developed the technology being used by Walmart and some airlines.

"There's a huge difference between trials and full operations. Totally different ballgame."

Paul Meyer, CEO of The Commons Project

Meyer said the trials by airlines have been a success — Lufthansa said Wednesday it was expanding the use of the CommonPass app to show test results — but wide adoption will require a larger and more sustained effort.

"There's a huge difference between trials and full operations. Totally different ballgame," he said.

In other words, it could be months more before vaccine passports are widely available and used in the U.S.

Eren Bali, CEO of California-based Carbon Health, said his company has been providing digital vaccine records to people it vaccinates, and that 600,000 people had viewed them. Now it’s looking to expand the offering and make the cards compatible with different smartphone "wallets."

“Wherever you got vaccinated in the United States, we’ll be able to give you a verified health pass,” Bali said. 

Rutgers University in New Jersey has said it will require proof of a Covid-19 vaccination for most students before they can attend class in person this fall, though it hasn’t said so far what kinds of proof it will accept. 

Each requirement may raise thorny questions, such as how to accommodate people who don’t use a smartphone and so don't have a digital record. Some fear the development of a two-tier economy along vaccination lines, though Covid-19 vaccines are expected to be widely available as early as May. 

There is also growing outcry from some Republicans and libertarians who have begun to argue that vaccine passports are a violation of civil rights. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he will issue rules that prevent businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations, though it is not clear how much power he will have to stop the practice. 

But there's a wide range of organizations and companies working to make passports an option, at least. The Biden administration counted at least 17 such efforts tackling different parts of the problem, according to a government slide deck obtained by The Washington Post.

"Federal agencies are participating ad hoc independently in various initiatives," according to the slide, from the Department of Health and Human Services.

Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, said in a briefing Tuesday that the administration is not planning a central federal vaccinations database, a role that for other types of vaccines has historically fallen to the states. 

"Development of a vaccine passport, or whatever you want to call it, will be driven by the private sector," Psaki said.

But she said the administration plans to issue recommendations at some point for digital vaccine certificates so that they meet certain standards. She did not give a timeline. 

“The only thing the bouncer at the concert venue needs to know is: Does the person meet the criteria for entry, yes or no?”

“We want to drive the market toward meeting public interest goals, so we’ll leverage our resources to ensure that all vaccination credential systems meet key standards, whether that’s universal accessibility, affordability, availability, both digitally and on paper,” she said. 

The Biden administration may be asked to help decide questions such as exactly when it’s appropriate to ask someone for vaccination proof, Gruener said. 

“This is a place where the administration does need to weigh in," she said. "What are the settings or venues where it’s permissible to ask for proof of vaccination, and where is that not permissible?”

The same goes for the amount of health information a venue or business gets to see.

“The only thing the bouncer at the concert venue needs to know is: Does the person meet the criteria for entry, yes or no?” Gruener said. “That’s one place where I think the administration has an important role to play.”

There’s also the question of possible federal funding for state and local vaccination registries. Those agencies, which ultimately store much of the nation’s vaccination records for purposes such as school attendance, have invested relatively little in making digital records widely available, and they may need upgrades if they’re going to work with Covid-19 passports. 

"It’s not that states aren’t interested in the idea, but on the list of priorities, this is not highest on the list," said Rebecca Coyle, executive director of the American Immunization Registry Association, a membership organization for state and local vaccine registries.

Digital vaccine cards are already in use in Israel, where the national government and a centralized health care system sped their development. European Union leaders have announced the development of a similar “digital green certificate.” 

The U.S. system is already more freewheeling, with numerous companies such as IBM testing early versions of digital certificates. 

"We want to encourage an open marketplace with a variety of private sector companies and nonprofit coalitions developing solutions," Psaki said.

It's messed up how many awful things Covid has been an excuse to do. This is like post 9/11 all over again.

Edited by DoctaMario
Just now, axeman61 said:

You know, at this point, that vaccine could be smoking when they bring it out and I'd probably still take it. Everything about the virus makes it sound like it would obliterate me if it caught me slipping.

You just gotta have your bravery and faith stats at 99.

Like this guy

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

don't agree. Every time we got to one of the supposed benchmarks, they just moved the goalposts. It seems like they're doing everything they can to make this a neverending pandemic.

Given that this is a novel virus, information is going to change. The more cases that came, the bigger the scope, the harder to contain. It's gonna be here for a while because it spread like wildfire. If we honestly just chilled out for a month, it would have likely curb-stomped it. The goal post in this case has to move if the thing you are trying to contain keeps getting out. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

That video gave me cancer

Misogyny created sex?

giphy.gif

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Got my first Covid shot last weekend.  Feeling pretty fine other than the expected soreness and had a very slight runny nose but that's about it.  Been hearing most people get hit with the side effects with the 2nd shot which I get next month.  Well let you guys know if I'm about to turn into a zombie, get put under surveillance anymore than normal, or thinking I'm about to get vaped by a giant space laser that may or may not be owned by someone of jewish descent.

Edited by Sonichuman

It's not like I didn't know about this, but this will likely trigger something really bad. I'm just not optimistic for the future and always had little faith in humanity from mere examples of this.

I wish that we were mostly selfless creatures rather than to manipulate and take from others passing it as our own.

Even I believe that all nations will fall eventually, because it's in our nature to destroy ourselves.

Edited by Emptyeyes
4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Given that this is a novel virus, information is going to change. The more cases that came, the bigger the scope, the harder to contain. It's gonna be here for a while because it spread like wildfire. If we honestly just chilled out for a month, it would have likely curb-stomped it. The goal post in this case has to move if the thing you are trying to contain keeps getting out. 

Misogyny created sex?

giphy.gif

I get that information changes but it's clear that there was no plan, even at a lot of state levels where they weren't really beholden to the whims of the federal government. The whole situation showed how bad the institutions that we're supposed to be able to trust really are at handling their business when the chips are down, and all some of them have really excelled at in this situation have been power grabs. And now they want access to medical records and information on top of all the other info they scrape from devices and social media accounts, and to be able to decide who gets to do what based on that information. I can't think of a virus on earth that would warrant that.

Edited by DoctaMario
4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Got my first Covid shot last weekend.  Feeling pretty fine other than the expected soreness and had a very slight runny nose but that's about it.  Been hearing most people get hit with the side effects with the 2nd shot which I get next month.  Well let you guys know if I'm about to turn into a zombie, get put under surveillance anymore than normal, or thinking I'm about to get vaped by a giant space laser that may or may not be owned by someone of jewish descent.

I'll put in a word with the jew crew and get you whitelisted RE space lasers. 

Will Do I Got You GIF by Patriot Act

5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

You're going to get the gay gene and will leave your family for a chubby black dude in West Hollywood. See you at Disneyland during gay days! 😆

Sooo a few weeks back I came in here lookin for advice on what to do about my suspicion a homie was doin fuck shit to women. But wasn't quite sure.. Because all my evidence was circumstantial and mostly bad spider senses vibes. Well his ex messaged me again freaking out... Turns out he's trying to get back with her

. Mind you he broke up with her and threw all her shit out of the apartment. 

Sooo apparently he's trying to blackmail her into getting back with him by threatening to release naked photos and sex tape of them. Which unfortunately isn't illegal in mass if they consented. 

So now I gotta go confront captain dumbfuck and basically drop him. Because I don't deal with people who do that shit. 

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

Sooo a few weeks back I came in here lookin for advice on what to do about my suspicion a homie was doin fuck shit to women. But wasn't quite sure.. Because all my evidence was circumstantial and mostly bad spider senses vibes. Well his ex messaged me again freaking out... Turns out he's trying to get back with her

Sooo apparently he's trying to blackmail her into getting back with him by threatening to release naked photos and sex tape of them. Which unfortunately isn't illegal in mass if they consented. 

So now I gotta go confront captain dumbfuck and basically drop him. Because I don't deal with people who do that shit. 

Why bother confronting him?

Just drop him.

When he inevitably comes to see you, then address it.

Do not put yourself in the position where your actions can be so readily misconstrued by others.

Sun Tzu his ass.

7 hours ago, Maxx said:

Play footsies. Start avoiding him and drop some pretty declarative stuff, and then leave. Let him dash up, and then throw him away. No need for that shit. People like that are clingy and will come to you. Establish the high ground and then detach the support ropes. Fuck that guy.

Yeah most people in the world simply are not worth any kind of trouble/hassle.  There's certain people that I wish it were *possible* to ghost them....oh yeah, sometimes it's not even possible, sadly.  I already know that most probably wouldn't understand it though. (*basically...when someone happens to be family or a friend of the family... unfortunately they WILL always be somewhere in the background of your life, unfortunately....that's my situation with certain people.  One was also who I was thinking about when mentioning the annoying situation of people that call you 20 to 30 seconds later after you didn't answer the first time.  If you ignore this person for 7 or 8 years...you guessed it... he will STILL be calling you on occasion 7 or 8 years later, because he has nothing else going on in life, really....and is an extreme case of "dependency issues", clingy or whatever ya want to call it.  There's been times in years past when I just leave the phone on the floor underneath some clothes or something, because it annoys me to even see the screen light up...because I already know who it is calling for the 8th goddam time in the same day.)

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, JHDK said:

Why bother confronting him?

Just drop him.

When he inevitably comes to see you, then address it.

Do not put yourself in the position where your actions can be so readily misconstrued by others.

Sun Tzu his ass.

It's a pandemic.. No one sees eachother right now.  Also doing it because this girl is freaked out... I'm the only friend of his she knows of and she has no real legal recourse. Obviously she's trying to keep this on the low due to her job as a nurse and some private health stuff he's also apparently willing to reveal. 

I don't have a problem confronting someone like him. It's not like he can beat me up... I've literally carried him out of bars and drunk fights like a toddler even though he's taller than me. 

Edited by Maxx
Just now, HD-Man said:

I been on the phone with my insurance company to get a tow truck out here for damn near an hour. Like how tf hard is it to get some ppl out here? He still hasn't found anyway as of now, this day gets progressively more frustrating

I take it that your insurance company Isn't Progressive?

That sucks though. 

4 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I take it that your insurance company Isn't Progressive?

That sucks though. 

Yea, it's Alfa. I've never actually had to use it until today, but I FINALLY got an ETA on a truck. After that, gotta get a locksmith who will no doubt tax tf outta me. Oh well, atleast I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel 

Decellularized Spinach Serves as an Edible Platform for Growing Artificial Meat

Edible-Spinach-Scaffold-for-Lab-Grown-Me

The veiny skeleton of a spinach leaf can support the growth of artificial meat. Spinach provides a cost-efficient and environmentally friendly scaffold that may accelerate the development of cultured meat. Previous studies have demonstrated that spinach leaf scaffolds can be used for cultivating human heart tissue. Researchers will now focus on growing more cells on the leaves to create thicker steaks and to investigate other animal and plant cell alternatives.

https://scitechdaily.com/decellularized-spinach-serves-as-an-edible-platform-for-growing-artificial-meat/