Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

Praying SNK can iron out the rollback issues by release 

it's good that they were aware of it prior to the beta, but still worrying the issue exists at all. So far out of the four JP FG devs that tried impmenenting technology, Arcsys are the only ones who got it right on first iteration

Capcom, SNK (thus far), and French Bread all have issues of some kind. Still though, the game is 3 months away from launching so we'll see how it goes. But regardless the game will live or die by its netplay

The character that SNK had to make because they lost a bet returns.

Correct spelling and pronunciation is nice. Also a thing to note is that she did not complete a team. So if I had to guess, the last remaining teams look something like this:

Team Ash: Ash, Kukri, ??? (Possibly Elizabeth)

Team K’: K’, Whip, ???(Most likely Kula)

Team ?: Ángel,  ???, ???

Edited by BornWinner

@EvilCanadianI'ma help you out since I bet you're not knowledgeable on this particular character but you still gonna do a trailer breakdown

1- red skies now has a follow-up, seems to leave you closer. In the older version you did get a mix-up on Oki by doing run into hyper Hop j.down D which crosses up, but it was all manually timed and hard, being closer might give better Oki.

2- neck cutter does not switch side anymore, which in my opinion is better

3- you can combo midscreen off mad murder before you could only go into red skies, in the trailer she gets a full unchained juggle

4- EX unchain step is a running hitbox now and it juggles, real good QoL

5- her new CD seems to have a lower and longer hitbox

Overall I call hella buffed, and she is already one of the best point characters in XIV

4 hours ago, elliephil said:

Someone who played the beta, what's the execution barrier like for this one? What would you compare it to?

It's similar to XIV if you played that one but it feels better - less rigid.  I think they made hops easier possibly?  Also grounded normals were buffed and air attacks nerfed so it feels a bit more grounded like 98.  It's still got a higher execution barrier than other games like SFV or Strive but it's nothing too difficult.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

@EvilCanadianI'ma help you out since I bet you're not knowledgeable on this particular character but you still gonna do a trailer breakdown

1- red skies now has a follow-up, seems to leave you closer. In the older version you did get a mix-up on Oki by doing run into hyper Hop j.down D which crosses up, but it was all manually timed and hard, being closer might give better Oki.

2- neck cutter does not switch side anymore, which in my opinion is better

3- you can combo midscreen off mad murder before you could only go into red skies, in the trailer she gets a full unchained juggle

4- EX unchain step is a running hitbox now and it juggles, real good QoL

5- her new CD seems to have a lower and longer hitbox

Overall I call hella buffed, and she is already one of the best point characters in XIV

I know Angel

also you missed some key stuff in the trailer so looks like I know more than you 🙂

command grabs have a special hitspark uh? maybe I would have known that if I hadn't been staring at a PS+ screen for 2 days.
Unchain assault juggling doesn't seem to be a big deal to me, unless it's literally what is allowing the mad murder meterless combo; that's why I didn't mention it, there's way better conversions in the corner than what is in the trailer.
Tornado does combo from  Mad Murder in XIV, and tornado does go into sobat on that, but no unchain finish connects midscreen. So it all depends on whether it is Assault allowing the finisher or if the juggle state is more relaxed.
It would make sense that they gave assault a purpose since it was the most useless unchain move ever.

Also should have probably mentioned that finish straight is unblockable

Edited by ZioSerpe
On 11/24/2021 at 9:32 PM, elliephil said:

Someone who played the beta, what's the execution barrier like for this one? What would you compare it to?

Similar to KOFXIV. Combos can be as long but the input windows seem lenient enough for new players to jump in. Definitely not as crazy long as XIII/tight windows like '02. Much prefer this over KOFXIV.

I used the beta more as a trial to see if I'd enjoy the game but I'm kind of unconvinced. I have zero KOF experience outside of ten minutes with 14 or something, but there are some little things that felt a bit off to me. Hit feedback and hitstun in general felt a bit weird and hitstun seems really short, the four different jumps seemed a bit overwhelming too. Also I couldn't for the live of me figure out how to do links and combos that went further than jump-in, normal x special or light normal- light normal x special. It's nice that the tutorial tells me how to walk forward but how about the important stuff?

Netcode felt fine on my end at least. Only played ten-ish matches or so, but only one was laggy.

But yeah, not sure if this is a game for me. That said none of the characters really piqued my interest either and out of those that are announced only Whip seems like my kind of thing. Maybe I'll give the full game a shot to see if I can make it work. It's not like 2022 is going to be filled with new fighting games anyway.

15 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

And here is I thought it was read as Complete Akira Rip Off That Will Never Be Seen Again

There is that dumb leak floating around that Angel will partner up with Kula and Nameless. While Oda did say two of the characters would be surprises, I don't think it will be Nameless. 

And if we go off what Oda has said on K9999, his disappearance is not for the reason you'd expect. 

Betty and Kula are guaranteed and I guess Maxima too. Looks like Kim might just miss XV

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Does max mode do the autorun thing when activating from a normal still, similar to XIV?

Yes it does.

@delete_methe confirm system into specials tend to be from certain command normals if you don’t cancel from an actual normal. There’s a plethora of ways in this game between max mode cancelling, and using the offensive crumple. This is probably the easiest game to set up combos in the KOF franchise (minus maybe 98 where it was simpler).

1 hour ago, MP_ said:

the confirm system into specials tend to be from certain command normals if you don’t cancel from an actual normal. There’s a plethora of ways in this game between max mode cancelling, and using the offensive crumple. This is probably the easiest game to set up combos in the KOF franchise (minus maybe 98 where it was simpler).

Yeah, the max mode is another thing that's not explained too well in the tutorial IMO. Saw some videos online and it looked like a completely different game than the one I played. 

I might just give it a shot when it comes out and see where it goes from there. My first SFIV combos were jump in HK into sweep, I'll find something equally destructive for the first week in KOF for sure.

7 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

There is that dumb leak floating around that Angel will partner up with Kula and Nameless. While Oda did say two of the characters would be surprises, I don't think it will be Nameless. 

And if we go off what Oda has said on K9999, his disappearance is not for the reason you'd expect. 

Betty and Kula are guaranteed and I guess Maxima too. Looks like Kim might just miss XV

K9999 is a walking Tetsuo lawsuit. Given his relative popularity, I think he would have shown up by now if there weren't any legal issues. 

47 minutes ago, MP_ said:

Same. I love the pacing of 02 but hate the max mode. But the pace for XV feels kinda closer to 02 than 14 but it doesn’t feel like the execution is at all similar.

I love the pacing also of 2002, just feels a little clunky sometimes to play. If Nameless gets put into XV (which everyone is saying unlikely) I think I might have to get a pre-order in lol

1 minute ago, elliephil said:

I love the pacing also of 2002, just feels a little clunky sometimes to play. If Nameless gets put into XV (which everyone is saying unlikely) I think I might have to get a pre-order in lol

I’m putting in a preorder regardless. The beta was the most fun I’ve had in a new title in years, and made me actually excited for the release.

Not to say I don’t enjoy others, MBTL is fun, but it wasn’t a game I was chomping at the bit to buy or play. KOFXV made me excited for the genre again.

23 minutes ago, MP_ said:

I’m putting in a preorder regardless. The beta was the most fun I’ve had in a new title in years, and made me actually excited for the release.

Not to say I don’t enjoy others, MBTL is fun, but it wasn’t a game I was chomping at the bit to buy or play. KOFXV made me excited for the genre again.

I always give a game a try when it comes out. I don't think I've pre-ordered a fighting game since sfv.

I didn't have access to the beta unfortunately but I'll pop by my local meet-up and mess around with it. Looks like kof which is good enough for me lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they do another beta before launch, maybe multi-platform.

I was happy with playing it on PS4, but I'm also curious to give it a go on PC. I have Windows on backup, but especially interested to see if it runs on default Proton settings in Linux.

MBTL didn't initially (needed a custom version to work), but Valve had it patched to work within week 1 of the release. But I know if it'll run on Windows for me, it won't take long for it to be working on Linux if it doesn't initially.

Edited by MP_
38 minutes ago, MP_ said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do another beta before launch, maybe multi-platform.

I was happy with playing it on PS4, but I'm also curious to give it a go on PC. I have Windows on backup, but especially interested to see if it runs on default Proton settings in Linux.

MBTL didn't initially (needed a custom version to work), but Valve had it patched to work within week 1 of the release. But I know if it'll run on Windows for me, it won't take long for it to be working on Linux if it doesn't initially.

MBTL on launch was a wild ride. I haven't been able to play much of anything due to work but it seems stable. I get really laggy matches sometimes where it is clear that either the opponent is having connection issues or we are just really far away. I try to restrict my playing time with close friends who know how to play and live nearby.

A multi-platform beta would be really awesome since I don't really plan on getting a PS5 and just in general haven't paid for ps plus for almost 4 years now. Any plans for cross-platform or is that still a fever dream for most games?

Just thought of this, what do you think are the chances of the Orochi team making a comeback? They were my favs 🙂

Edited by elliephil
22 minutes ago, elliephil said:

MBTL on launch was a wild ride. I haven't been able to play much of anything due to work but it seems stable. I get really laggy matches sometimes where it is clear that either the opponent is having connection issues or we are just really far away. I try to restrict my playing time with close friends who know how to play and live nearby.

A multi-platform beta would be really awesome since I don't really plan on getting a PS5 and just in general haven't paid for ps plus for almost 4 years now. Any plans for cross-platform or is that still a fever dream for most games?

Just thought of this, what do you think are the chances of the Orochi team making a comeback? They were my favs 🙂

One bright spot was that PS4 version was actually better than the PS5 version. The input lag tests were better by a long shot.

I definitely prefer having it on PC personally, especially if it runs on my laptop for portability. Plus performance has been across the board better on Linux with Proton than actual Windows natively (may also help that I have Linux on my nvme).

As far as Orochi, it's a reasonable shot at least as a quick DLC given that Chris/Yashiro/Shermie are all in. I don't remember them being in the same game since 02UM (which is AFAIK the last instance of the Orochi characters being in as well). It would seem like a bad situation if they had all three in and they didn't put their Orochi variations in.

14 hours ago, MP_ said:

One bright spot was that PS4 version was actually better than the PS5 version. The input lag tests were better by a long shot.

I definitely prefer having it on PC personally, especially if it runs on my laptop for portability. Plus performance has been across the board better on Linux with Proton than actual Windows natively (may also help that I have Linux on my nvme).

As far as Orochi, it's a reasonable shot at least as a quick DLC given that Chris/Yashiro/Shermie are all in. I don't remember them being in the same game since 02UM (which is AFAIK the last instance of the Orochi characters being in as well). It would seem like a bad situation if they had all three in and they didn't put their Orochi variations in.

I have a laptop as well for the same reason. Just makes everything so much easier, it's all in one place. I might need to look into Linux (only ever used it on PS3) if performance is better.

I know it could turn into a Twitter nerdwar if orochi team was the first dlc but idgaf, it would be cool. As someone who really doesn't care about the story, I just wanna see CYS go sicko mode again lol

Proton can depend though. And Linux performance can depend. Like my laptop is all AMD and AMD support is amazing for Linux. Intel and nvidia takes a little more finagling, nvidia has been doing better about make sure their devices are supported but they definitely have less likelihood of being supported out of the box by distros than AMD. I would suggest if you try Linux, start with Garuda as their distro is optimized for Linux gaming so it’s more likely to support nvidia out of the box.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:29 AM, ZioSerpe said:

I don't know how people can say the XV beta was fun.
It was just the one screen asking you to pay for PS+, sure it was well designed, but I needed to see more gameplay.

Sorry you weren’t able to get it working.

But for people who were able, it was enjoyable. I’d at least expect another round, hope you’re able to try it next time.

Among the other characters that were inspired by (Benimaru looking like Polneraff, Sylvie Paula Paula looking like and having a similar name to Kyaru Pamyu Pamyu), K9999 was just a straight ripoff of Tetsuo. Appearance, moveset, and direct quotes were taken right from Akira. He even had the same VA as Tetsuo and a special intro against Kusanagi that referenced the famous scene from Akira (Kusanagi happened to be voiced by the same voice actor who did Kaneda).

If copyright was never a concern like it seems to be, I assume SNK just didn’t like how uninspired he was and chose not to use him.