Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

On 1/31/2022 at 11:19 PM, DangerousJ said:

First two sets of DLC Characters revealed...

I legit forgot this game drops in 11 days. I looked at March 2022 on Garou's team like 🤔

I really don't like DLC being announced before a game even drops, but I guess the game already went gold by now and Team South Town obviously isn't ready yet.

Rock looks sick. The new effects are better.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:28 AM, Volt said:

I really don't like DLC being announced before a game even drops, but I guess the game already went gold by now and Team South Town obviously isn't ready yet.

No one seems to care about it, unless Capcom does it. I've sort of given up that fight. No point in beating my head against that brick wall. Reminds of the idiots that complain that SFV has a way to unlock characters without spending money. Is it grindy as hell? Yes. Yet every other fighting game gives you NO option for a free unlock.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No one seems to care about it, unless Capcom does it. I've sort given that fight. No point in beating my head against that brick wall. Reminds of the idiots that complain that SFV has a way to unlock characters without spending money. Is it grindy as hell? Yes. Yet every other fighting game gives you NO option for a free unlock.

Yeah exactly, people should be praising the fight money system and yet all you hear is bitching.  I only bought one season pass and got every other character in the game with fight money.  Sure I had to grind a lot but I was playing the game anyway.  All that money I saved on season passes I could spend on other games.  

9 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Yeah exactly, people should be praising the fight money system and yet all you hear is bitching.  I only bought one season pass and got every other character in the game with fight money.  Sure I had to grind a lot but I was playing the game anyway.  All that money I saved on season passes I could spend on other games.  

Yeah grinding can be annoying but on the flip side it means people are online doing the same thing and you can get games. I think it was less about giving the player characters for free and more about keeping the players active which well keeps a game "alive."

The Great Ape of YouTube content has struck again. This video is great for people like me who don't know much about this series and are just coming in.

For example, I knew nothing about the character Athena, but then he describes her with "If you want to lose friends...this character is very annoying."

Yes. Yes I do want to lose friends. That character sounds perfect for me. I'm not sure if it's smart to stack a team of 3 characters who share this kind of gameplan, but I'm probably going to try it.

Decided to order this because I didn't like the beta. That's how things work these days, right? Think one thing, do the other?

Anyway, I hope Whip works for me and I hope I either find two other characters or become so godlike with Whip that I don't need them. I also got some special edition with codes for DLC characters which I might or might not just sell straight away (Edit: the codes. Not that interested in that first batch except for Jenet, but that's also mostly for eye candy and not gameplay). 

Edited by delete_me
4 hours ago, delete_me said:

So what are good character choices in this game coming from a more zoner-ish SF background? Not talking full SFII Dhalsim here, but the likes of Poison and Rose from SFV for example.

I was thinking Whip, maybe the mud girl and then someone super basic like Terry but I have no idea.

Athena is Rose on steroids - projectile, reflect, teleport, big DP, freeza's death ball, and so on

14 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I think I kind of fucked up grabbing this on PC instead of PS4.  But I get a lot more free time around my computer than the console.

Anybody else going to be on Steam with this?

I have it on Steam. People on Xbox are playing right now. Fucking Xbox. I didn't even know the game was on Xbox until yesterday. 😑

Edited by Darc_Requiem
22 hours ago, Reticently said:

I think I kind of fucked up grabbing this on PC instead of PS4.  But I get a lot more free time around my computer than the console.

Anybody else going to be on Steam with this?

It does have serious input lag on Playstation systems, so you probably got the best version. Xbox is supposedly the best console version but I fear the community will die out there in a matter of weeks.

18 minutes ago, delete_me said:

It does have serious input lag on Playstation systems, so you probably got the best version. Xbox is supposedly the best console version but I fear the community will die out there in a matter of weeks.

Yeah, with most FGs being on Playstation... Things are looking pretty bleak on that front.

How does the PS4 version compare to the Xbox ones? I heard that it got lower input lag than the PS5 version at least.

Also, completely unrelated, but extremely worth mentioning...

Spoiler

extra_thicc.gif

1 hour ago, Volt said:

It's even worse than Vanilla SFV!?

wtf_what_the_fuck_universal.gif

And I can guarantee you it won't get memed near as much. 

FGC: "I can't believe this its inexcus...."

FGC: "Wait? It's not a Capcom game?"

FGC: "Nevermind"

Seriously when Namco sold frame data people were defending it, it made me realize that Capcom gets treated like black people when it comes to transgressions. Something is only a big deal when they do it.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

And I can guarantee you it won't get memed near as much. 

FGC: "I can't believe this its inexcus...."

FGC: "Wait? It's not a Capcom game?"

FGC: "Nevermind"

Seriously when Namco sold frame data people were defending it, it made me realize that Capcom gets treated like black people when it comes to transgressions. Something is only a big deal when they do it.

Yeah, no.

Lets not forget that for example, when TT2 and SC5 came out the community was ready to move on and ignore those games at large due their perceived faults.

Or how the community has been very vocal on not giving snk games their time due the terribad netcode for example, simply ignoring them.

If anything, i would say that Capcom gets a lighter treatment, because people maybe complain with reason for the fuckups, but at the same time are willing to put with the fuckery and still buy and continuosly play SF.

I think the only times they got the same treatment was with SFxT and MVCI, but that is more likely because there were other options available to ignore those games.

Otherwise i bet they would have complained but keep playing.

Case in point, even when the input lag of sfv has been reduced, not fixed mind you (6f is still unnaceptable for most fgs, but here we are giving it a pass), the input lag cycle where for each frame it keeps increasing where it becomes unplayable and then comes down back, is still there, unacknowledged by capcom, and no, is not a problem of UE4, since is something that is present on the 30th anniversary as well.

So, even when they reduced the input lag from 8 to 6, we still have the issue that goes up in intervals from 6, to 7, to 8 to9 and reset, and the worst part is that it also happens offline even if you don't have your console or pc connected to the internet.

This was discovered on 2018, people complained about it, capcom did shit, and people just moved on. 

Edited by Hecatom

@HecatomDon't want to side track the thread, so I'll keep this short. Until this day people still bitch about being able get character for free via grinding in SFV. Don't want to grind just buy them like you have to in EVERY other fighting game.

@HeavensCloudOkay so it's not as bad as initially believed. Still don't understand why input lag would be worse on PS5. Is it some sort of development issue? It's not the hardware because the PS4 games running on PS5 seem to have lower input lag than native PS5 games. 🤔

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

@HeavensCloudOkay so it's not as bad as initially believed. Still don't understand why input lag would be worse on PS5. Is it some sort of development issue? It's not the hardware because the PS4 games running on PS5 seem to have lower input lag than native PS5 games. 🤔

It can be a matter of optimization, doubt is UE4 related since other games that run on UE4 don't have the same problem, so probably something related to custom code that is optimized for PS4 and for some reason runs slower on PS5.

Luckily is something minor that can be fixed on a patch.

BTW, it would be interesting to see if enabling performance mode removes said issue.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@HecatomDon't want to side track the thread, so I'll keep this short. Until this day people still bitch about being able get character for free via grinding in SFV. Don't want to grind just buy them like you have to in EVERY other fighting game.

Bro, people will bitch about everything for every game.

Is not isolated to SFV or Capcom.

Is only looks that way because you visit sites that historically are more capcom centric/usa fgc centric.

The amount of bitching I see for ASW games, French Bread games on the Facebook group i am admin is on par on what we have seen on SRK, Kappa, Salty for example.

The same for SNK games on hispanic communities.

5 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Strive also had a higher input lag on native PS5 version than the PS4 version running on the same system

Again, software related bro.

Is not the exact same architecture.

If you develop a game to run for PS4, there are hardware differences between consoles that are unaccounted that can lead to differences in performance.

Is idiotic to blame the hardware for something that is obviously because how the games are optimized.

You wouldn't go blaming your PC with better specs for how bad Nier Automata ran compared to the PS4 for example.

Edit

Semi tangent

This is on par with the myth that fgs ran better on xbox 360 than on PS3, when

A) The problem was isolated to capcom fgs. Since Capcom optimized the games for 360 and ported later to PS3, which lead to the performance diferences

B) Other fgs made by other companies ran the same on both consoles.

C) When SFxT came out, it was the PS3 version that ran better than the 360 because it happened in inverse, the PS3 version was the one that was optimized first, and ported to the 360 later.

D) In the case of SF4 both console versions run like shit when compared to the arcade version 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It can be a matter of optimization, doubt is UE4 related since other games that run on UE4 don't have the same problem, so probably something related to custom code that is optimized for PS4 and for some reason runs slower on PS5.

Luckily is something minor that can be fixed on a patch.

BTW, it would be interesting to see if enabling performance mode removes said issue.

Although there is an obvious downside, the advantage of the Xbox dev environment is that software is the same on both One and Series platforms. So they typically don't have these types of issues. As for the downside, you aren't going to be able to push you hardware as far as it can go with that type of setup.