Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@HeavensCloudOkay so it's not as bad as initially believed. Still don't understand why input lag would be worse on PS5. Is it some sort of development issue? It's not the hardware because the PS4 games running on PS5 seem to have lower input lag than native PS5 games. 🤔

I think dev's are just not used to working with the new hardware compared to PS4.  Optimization will always get better over time.  ArcSys already patched Strive for PS4 Pro and PS5 and cut the input lag down substantially so there's no reason why SNK can't do the same.  

1 hour ago, PVL_93_RU said:

so why does xbox have nearly half the ps5 input lag then

LMAO, wow.

OPTIMIZATION.

O

P

T

I

M

I

Z

A

T

I

O

N

It all boils down to optimization.

The fact that multiple games run the same on both consoles clues you that is a matter of software not hardware.

The same for how games like GG that had the issue were already patched to correct the issue.

You are just being obtuse to try to justify dumb pre conceived reasons that is a fault of the hardware.

What i found amusing is that you are calling 70 ms, aka 4f of input lag bad when that shit is the goal of most devs, since while 3 is the theoretical minimum, in reality 4f is the gold number.

5 is not optimal but isnt bad, so is not as severe as some clownshoes are saying it is.

Is even standard for many fgs, like SF4 and is even on par with KOFXIV which has natively on all versions 5.6, KOF 13 around 5F, and older KOF being a mixed bag with some even having 6+ at times.

Just to give you an idea of how the number is on the lower end when compared to other fgs

Injustice 2 5.3

Mortal Kombat XL 5.4

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - 6.0 

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 6.0

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 6.0

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition 6.3

It is very likely something that would be fixed with a patch since IT IS A PROBLEM OF SOFTWARE.

Like common man, i can't lay it more simpler.

We have seen games on PC being poorly optimized when compared to their console counterparts, and i dont see any clown saying that is the hardware.

Keeping with SNK, the Orochi Saga games had terrible input lag like between 6f to 8f on pc due the poor ports they were, but where later patched.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, PVL_93_RU said:

so why does xbox have nearly half the ps5 input lag then

Also,letting you know right away that how input lag and frames work, you can't have lets say 3.4f input lag 

That immediately is converted into 4f of input lag, since the move will be displayed at the 4f mark, so the ps5 version is only away 1f of the xbox version.

So no, is not nearly half over.

After spending a few hours with the game on PS5, I can say I never felt any input lag. Of course, I never felt the input lag on SFV either. It's possible that I'm just a smooth-brain console player, but it's also possible some people over-estimate their ability to determine an miniscule segment of time.

What I'd like to know now is if there's any tools, in the game or out, to see things like frame data, or armor/invincible properties on moves?

I messed around with the game. I've noticed two quirks with the PC version. One REALLY annoys me. There is no 1440p option. The only way to get 1440p pick the "Borderless Window" option which will cause the game to run at your monitors native resolution. Given how popular 1440p is on PC, it's a weird oversight. The other one is well strange. The first time you use a characters Climax super the game freezes for second before going back to normal. It's only on the first time. 

So I tried Whip and quite like her. She has some odd cancel windows for her supers though, I'll have to get used to that. But other than that I like her range, her f.LP is really cool as you can use it 5 times in a row and neutral jump HP seems really good to just pester people with. 

Also tried out Athena, which very much feels like a SF character, so that seems like a good choice indeed. Need to get around that massive buffer window for her DP though, walking forward and then doing the half-circle for her fireball still gives you the DP if you're too fast.

As for the third one, I did a couple of combo trials and decided to go with Vanessa for the time being. It's usually not a character I'd play but her multi-hitting normals make cancels a lot easier, so that's a good thing to have in the beginning. She also looks really cool which balances out the Sailor Moon idol in my team.

Now to get all their stuff in my muscle memory. See you in a month.

15 hours ago, Yiceman said:

After spending a few hours with the game on PS5, I can say I never felt any input lag. Of course, I never felt the input lag on SFV either. It's possible that I'm just a smooth-brain console player, but it's also possible some people over-estimate their ability to determine an miniscule segment of time.

You probably don't notice it by itself but if you would hop between different systems (say PC at home and PS5 in a tournamenet) it would very likely have a big impact on your timing. But as long as you're only on one system, which in turn also means you're only playing people with the same amount of input lag, it doesn't really matter that much for non-pro players IMO.

I've been labbing King, Blue Mary, Ralph.

King is simple AF as always, and has her air fireballs back so she feels good.

Blue Mary does a lot of stuff that I like, but I feel like I might end up too far behind the skill curve with her to keep her on the team.

Ralph feels like the alpha gorilla in a game with plenty of gorillas.  His lone command normal is pretty weak-sauce, but the guy barely needs it.  

I've settled on Leona and Chris as two of my team members but since they're more tailored to rushdown I'm looking at more of a zoner/space control character as my third.  Looking at either Luong or Elisabeth.... someone to hold down the fort until Yamazaki arrives.  I might end up using Geese too.  May is going to be a long wait.  

3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I've settled on Leona and Chris as two of my team members but since they're more tailored to rushdown I'm looking at more of a zoner/space control character as my third.  Looking at either Luong or Elisabeth.... someone to hold down the fort until Yamazaki arrives.  I might end up using Geese too.  May is going to be a long wait.  

Luong is fun as hell, and the only reason I'm not using her is that she kind of fills the same niche as King.

Jesus fucking Christ this game is hard. I'm getting flashbacks to when I was jumping around like a buffoon in SFII because I had no idea what I was doing. There are literally no transferable skills from SF to KOF it turns out, outside of quarter/half circle execution and stuff. Trials were surprisingly easy but what the hell should I be doing in a game? Completely forgot how it feels being absolutely clueless in a fighting game. Whip might also not have been the best choice for a beginner, she kind of just dies instantly and then my other two characters have to make up for it.

On the plus side everyone on my rank (12) is equally shit so it just boils down to who has the most safe-looking spammable specials and who can better run away when it turns out it'll be yet another Time Over. Doing combos is fun and all so I hope the rest of it clicks soon.

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

Jesus fucking Christ this game is hard. I'm getting flashbacks to when I was jumping around like a buffoon in SFII because I had no idea what I was doing. There are literally no transferable skills from SF to KOF it turns out, outside of quarter/half circle execution and stuff. Trials were surprisingly easy but what the hell should I be doing in a game? Completely forgot how it feels being absolutely clueless in a fighting game. Whip might also not have been the best choice for a beginner, she kind of just dies instantly and then my other two characters have to make up for it.

On the plus side everyone on my rank (12) is equally shit so it just boils down to who has the most safe-looking spammable specials and who can better run away when it turns out it'll be yet another Time Over. Doing combos is fun and all so I hope the rest of it clicks soon.

Your basic gameplay is to see how your character combos from cr. B because all you really need to do it alternate between staggering crouching lights pressure and hopping.
And yeah, KoF is an hard game, so much so that I currently have a bet with another long time KoF player that DNFD is going to have a better player retention (% wise based on steam numbers) than KoF, because I know for a fact that people won't want to learn this game and especially they won't want to play KoF defense.
Sadly SNK can't even fail right and they did way worst than I expected with day 1 peak numbers, which might hurt my chances.

Reading that I think I need to ditch Whip for the time being, she plays absolutely nothing like anyone else and it's super hard to get anything started. Even basic stuff like her crouching animation, which is her just slightly bending forwards, throws me off because in the heat of the moment I always think my pad is broken because I'm holding down and it looks like shes still standing. It's a shame because her combos look really cool.

I wish I could just use three Vanessas right now, she feels rather straightforward and has some really easy mid and low confirms. Gameplay-wise a bit of a mix between Dudley and Boxer which makes me feel more at home (even though I never mained these characters in SF).

5 hours ago, delete_me said:

I need to ditch Whip

I feel like if your team has 2 "simple" characters, it can carry one technical character while you're learning.

That said, even with simple characters learning three sets of combo routes and situational tools at the same time is taxing.   I keep telling myself that there's no shame in doing auto-combos, at least when they're certain to kill.

Edited by Reticently

It can be overwhelming for sure. Sometimes when Luong dies and I get to Vanessa I keep forgetting to charge for her follow-ups when I do a combo because Luong's juggles are all quarter circle moves. On top of all the system mechanics the 3v3 format makes this really hard to get into.

Good point with the team setup though, I suppose that's one way to look at it. 

13 hours ago, delete_me said:

Angel and K' are the only two guys where I couldn't finish the trials. These quick follow-up moves to literally everything they have is just something my brain can't handle. Reminded me a lot of Alpha Kasumi or whatever she's called, but I suppose KOF's character are a lot older than her.

Haven't got to those yet.  Heidern was the toughest so far for me since doing dp into qcb, hcf at the speed of light was really awkward for my hands.  

10 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Haven't got to those yet.  Heidern was the toughest so far for me since doing dp into qcb, hcf at the speed of light was really awkward for my hands.  

True but Heidern's DP has a bit of startup so you have at least a little time to get the motion in. Ryo has a similar cancel from his DP but his comes out instantly, that one was though.

But have fun with Angel and K' 🙂

Also I'm dropping Whip. I just don't get anything done with her. I can't even consistently cancel into her half-circle moves from a crouching position due to the lack of SF-esque input leniency (i.e. you have to hit all five directions, you can't just do 1236 for example). Too bad, but whatever. I'll just going to pick someone braindead easy now with a hard-to-punish special or something.

Basically every stream I see from Asian pros is Ralf Terry and a 3rd character.

Most point I have seen are Mai, Chris, Vanessa then various juggling of fireball characters.

Dolores is incredibly popular too (she's basically has all of the same strengths as Vanessa but has better ground buttons and a command grab) and people tend to move Ralf point if they play her.

Edited by ZioSerpe
4 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Same here.  I've been watching a ton of streams (a lot of SF players are streaming the game) and vids on fredchuckdave's channel.  Seen every character multiple times - haven't seen Whip once.  

I remember this video where Justin Wong played vs Kizzie Kay and he made Whip look good. But then Justin can make any character look good if he wants too.

I tried Whip out myself, but had the same issues with trying to get the half circle motions off of a cr. b. There's been a few characters like that where I got turned off of them by some of their basic BnB execution. I really wanted to learn Kukri but trying to do cr. b into his forward a command normal for combos without accidentally getting a fireball input was killing me.

Right now I'm trying to learn Athena, Maxima, and Blue Mary. I've seen a lot of people claiming Maxima is bad, but we'll see if I can do anything with him.