Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

38 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Right now I'm trying to learn Athena, Maxima, and Blue Mary. I've seen a lot of people claiming Maxima is bad, but we'll see if I can do anything with him.

I don't know much about how the game will tier out, but Maxima has enough disrespectful stuff that I'd be surprised if he's actually bad.

I've been learning Blue Mary too.  If you were having trouble with Kukri, I'm surprised you aren't having the same kind of trouble with Mary's forward lp command normal.

37 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I've been learning Blue Mary too.  If you were having trouble with Kukri, I'm surprised you aren't having the same kind of trouble with Mary's forward lp command normal.

Well, I usually go into the back B kick command normal off of lights, then into the EX slide. I've only used the forward A off of heavier buttons, which is easier for me to not get a fireball by accident.

Kukri only has the one command normal, so trying do a fast low confirm into that and not get a fireball was driving me bonkers. Which is a shame, because I really liked his fireball and teleport nonsense.

Alright, I think I'm done. *checks calendar* Ten days, that's not too bad.

I like the game but there's just too much to digest here if you get one, maybe two hours a day to play it. Between matchup knowledge, getting the muscle memory into my brain, not messing up punishes and simultaneously getting a "feel" for the entire thing it asks more of me than I can reasonably put into it, especially as I also kind of don't want to be glued to it every free minute I have. The problem is obviously that I have no prior experience with KOF – I was similarly busy when SFV and SCV launched, but due to a certain amount of experience with those series I could pick them up relatively quickly. Here it feels like I'm trying to climb the Everest by taking one step every day. Respect to anyone who's in a similar boat but sticks with it.

I'm not going to shelve the game though. Considering how awful I am this might be the best chance at having some offline randomness with friends, who abandoned the idea of playing me in SF et al years ago. Plus I got the Omega Edition which includes the first six DLC characters, so I'll definitely check those out when they're available.

The secret sauce to picking up this game is to make sure at least two of your characters are brain dead simple, and then putting the character you have to work hardest with on point so that you get the most practice reps in with them.

I might not be particularly good, but at least with Ralph and King in back I'm not in any danger of forgetting what I'm doing.  (Seriously- King has like one particularly relevant combo route, and Ralph has maybe four.)

It seems like a lot of the more simple characters are also the most powerful at the moment.  Terry, Ralf, Robert, King are some of the best characters in the game and have straightforward gameplay and execution.  I recently added Ralf to my team and he's been winning me matches by himself.  

@delete_meI know the feeling about KOF being an uphill climb.  Since it's a legacy game you're going to be matched with people that have been playing since '98.  Shit is rough if KOF isn't your main fighting game.  Even for someone experienced in SF - KOF is a whole different animal.  I can already tell that the "average" level of play, at least in my region, is way higher than any other fighting game I've played.  Just have to keep grinding and taking the small victories.  

Edited by HeavensCloud

The simplest character on my team is/was probably Luong, which I usually have at the third spot. I've almost made reverse OCV's with her and yes, she's one of those braindead simple characters. The only thing you kind of have to pay attention to with her is the juggle height of your opponent when using one of her supers, but that's basically it.

I've also most definitely lost to Ralph and King players who rolled with their face over the pad. 

I hope i will be able to get the game this week. 

I am planning to run a group of waifu teams with the combination of Angel, Athena, King, Kula, Luong, Mai Shermie and Yuri. 

I know those are a lot of chars, but historically i played at competent level with most of them in the games they appeared. 

Hopefully the skills transfer into this new game. 

Also, i hope they add Hinako, Momoko, Silvye and Zarina

I just got KOF 15 today and i havent played a fighter in 3 years.

(Note: Never buy a niche game from Target.

It was online only and it took them 2 weeks to ship.

I only used them bc I had xmas gift cards with them.)

Is this the most lenient in terms of inputs/moves coming out?

A lot of simple things I mess up in like KOF 98 I can do relatively easy here.

Even some of the commands for long time moves seem to have changed.

Robert's "hurricane" kick has mostly been hcb + k, now its just qcb.

The graphics for KOF are pretty nice, obviously not on Tekken or even SFV level, but i was surprised to see such large character models.

The fireballs and super activation flashes, look quite nice.

Did not expect to enjoy KOF as much even though i am pretty basic at it. 

Kinda  funny i tried Strive and got bored rather fast but this is fun. I love the arcade feel of the game, the models, stages are great and most of all i really like how characters control, it does not have this stiff / floaty movement like in Injustice and MK that i really did not enjoy.

I am currently playing King / Mai / Blue Mary   and planning to invest more time into Luong as well.  

My stats so far 

KOF-stats.jpg

Edited by Skort

BTW since the EVO announcement on ET's stream all the pros are literally playing anything but Vanessa/Ralf/Terry.
Yesterday in particular ET and Xiaohai had a random teams FT10 among other things.
Oh and while at it I had just checked Whip in training mode and nearly cried for the people who wanted to play her, and then I was shown just how little we all understand of this game when every time ET got Whip Random he ran a train on Xiaohai's characters.

I think I might have a reason for the VRT meta.

As I said Vanessa and Terry are good but easily replaceable, while Ralf is definitively the strongest character right now.

What I am realizing now is that probably this team is so prominent because the tourneys are online, and both Vanessa and Terry are much easier to play online than characters that cover the same roles.