Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I wish I liked ARPG’s more. I tried Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen on my Switch today as I was looking for something new to play after beating Pokémon Shield and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

I just couldn’t get into it. I can tell there’s a really good game there but I just absolutely could not get invested. 

Thankfully I only paid $15 for it when it was on sale 1-2 years ago and it’s one less game to take off my Mt. Everest of backlog. But still, I wish I could get into it 

The game gets way more fun when you start aquiring skills and getting to change classes. Works out kind of like the job system in FFT, but with arcade-y combat. Also, I personally find the archer and archer adjacent classes to be the most fun.

I hope that Hold back to Block puts this Killer Instinct stuff up on youtube.  I can't express how much of an amazing job Mick did on his time on KI's soundtrack.  If they do another game ( and you should M$) they need to bring him back to do the OST again. 

Watching this also reminds me that I need listen and find the last character themes for this game.

Edit: Oh ok so yeah it is gonna get released later.  Can't wait!

Edited by Sonichuman

heh heh, yeahhhh the eventual death of Stadia is going to be quite the entertaining sight to see... I look forward to the reaction of the few remaining fans of that laughable "service".  I wonder how many of them really thought it through... that ugly reality that whenever they pull the plug (which WILL be sooner rather than later), your entire library of games vanishes into thin air? 😄  I'm sure that if you brought this up in argument they'd *pretend* like that concept doesn't bother them much...like losing ALL your games on a system is "eh, no big deal"....yeah sure keep telling yourselves that, guys 🤣

I'll have to check in on any Stadia forums too and see what's going on when that time comes...it should be one hell of a show.... yeah there's a gamefaqs board for Stadia of course; I'll have to check there again---haha first topic at the top of that page is "Well, it's over."

dis gon b gud this is gonna be good GIF

edit--it's odd to me when some people even say this kind of thing is "good in theory" or a "good concept"... to me, the very concept of this shit is horrible in the first place---there is literally no possible way it can be good, no matter what company is behind it, or how good the internet connection in your region is.  I like actually having my games "for real", y'know?  I don't need a connection to play the majority of my games on any system I have right now...especially not the Switch.  There's not a single one on there that *needs* the net to function (*adding to that bonus of being able to play these games anywhere.)  With Stadia or any other nonsense like it---doesn't matter if your collection is 5 games or 1000 games... when the company shuts those servers down one day... you have NOTHING.  It's bizarre to me that any gamer sees this as a good thing in any conceivable way.

Edited by MillionX
55 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The first game aged like milk and the third game is a piece of shit. Hard for me to be hyped for a Mass Effect collection. 

Yeah to do this right would have cost money. You can't remaster a series like this. All three games play different especially ME1 compared to the rest. Setting the narrative clusterfuck that is ME3 aside, they have build the games from scratch. Make all three games have the same type of gameplay.  That would give a through line to the trilogy.

As for narrative, ME3 needs a near complete rewrite. People talk about the endings but completely gloss over the rest of the issues. They missed basic shit.  Off the top of my head so I don't waste touch of yalls time.

• Ashley forgetting she's a tomboy
  • Jacob forgetting he's biotic in a fight for his life
  • Kasumi forgetting who recruited her in ME2 and also forgetting that she knew what she signed up for.
  • Stars rapidly aging/dying due to dark energy. This is what Tali is investigating when you recruit her in ME2
  • Who started the Quarian vs. Geth war. They make a point to say synthetics always rise up against organics. Except the Quarians started the war with the Geth. Not only that, they "put down" any Quarians that opposed them. Despite not needing to, the Geth preserved Rannoch. They had hoped for peace with the Quarians some day.
Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I liked Liara as the shadow broker. 

Liara went from doe eyed Prothean archaeologist, to Shadow Broker, to somehow finding a Prothean MacGuffin in a beacon that had been looked over by other experts for decades. Mac Walters created her character. He took over as lead writer in ME2 and ME3 and it shows. Liara actually has a cameo in Andromeda. Any guess as to who took over as lead writer of that game...

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Liara went from doe eyed Prothean archaeologist, to Shadow Broker, to somehow finding a Prothean MacGuffin in a beacon that had been looked over by other experts for decades. Mac Walters created her character. He took over as lead writer in ME2 and ME3 and it shows. Liara actually has a cameo in Andromeda. Any guess as to who took over as lead writer of that game...

It's such a joke of a cameo to. It barely fucking counts lol. 

Man Andromeda is this fucking close to being a good game but does the worst thing a game can do...be boring. 

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I never got to experience the Prothean MacGuffin because I didn't pre-order the game to get that day one DLC. I remember how pissed people were about that. A character super important to the series lore locked behind a paywall. 

I say this with all sincerity. I' d play Andromeda before ME3. The writing in that game.... I don't even blame the writers. EA needed to give that game at least another 12 months to cook.

@HawkingbirdI was talking about The Crucible. The design was sitting on the Prothean beacon on Mars and no one noticed until Liara showed up.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
32 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Besides the ending, why is 3 considered bad?

I don't think the ending was that bad, but the fact that the game was sold on the promise of "3 games-worth of decisions will effect the finale" and the final moment was "pick the ending you want" people were rightfully pissed. 

Darc already outlined a lot of the narrative plot holes... 

I was also super pissed that they locked Javik behind day one DLC. And Thane wasn't a party member. 

But I also think the game gets more shit than it deserves. It was a pretty fun game, still had some fun dialogue and characters, and had some cool settings.

Also, it was kind of the beginning of Bioware's downfall imho.  

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

The writing in that game.... I don't even blame the writers

I do. The writing is awful. I'm perfectly fine with a "Teenagers luck into shit way above their pay grade" story, but this story goes nooooooo where. The crew quests are dull as fuck, the bad guys are 1 dimensional as a mother fucker, we travel light years across the galaxy to find...another humanoid alien race that's almost exactly like us...bleh. and the story never goes anywhere. Constantly going "Go here...ok found the thing except it's not the thing so go here instead, rinse, repeat, 5 or 6 times. So boring. Shit never goes anywhere. 

One thing I will thank Andromeda for tho is proving me right. For years I've been saying a protagonist with a ton of comba ft options doesn't mean you have a good combat system. This game proves it. The loss of strict classes for a more fluid system you could hot swap was fucking dope, the new movement mechanics, all of fucking awesome...but it doesn't matter because everything you fight can't even begin to compete or keep up with you so you just mop. ZzzZZZzzz.

I'd rather play 3, the combat there is actually fun. 

Edit: You know I never got that about ME3. Played at launch, didn't touch multi, got the same exact ending shit as everyone else who did the multi. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I take it you aren't a fan of Castlevania eh? 

Animation studio did a good job for the most part with the action sequences, and the backgrounds/designs.   They just needed more in-betweens so it wouldn't look so choppy.   Cannon busters suffered from this as well.    The writing however.... Oof. 

What a shame since there is a lot stuff I like from ellis.  This wasn't one of them.  

1 minute ago, Angel said:

Animation studio did a good job for the most part with the action sequences, and the backgrounds/designs.   They just needed more in-betweens so it wouldn't look so choppy.   Cannon busters suffered from this as well.    The writing however.... Oof. 

What a shame since there is a lot stuff I like from ellis.  This wasn't one of them.  

Can't say I agree on the writing but I can agree on the animation but I've been giving it a pass since they seem to be getting better and they def budget dump when the animation quality needs a boost. 

It isn't Demon Slayer quality and but as long as they keep improving I'm good on it.

I've been playing Scott Pilgrim with some friends online and there are definitely invisible enemies running around in this game that weren't in the original game.  Someone was complaining about this earlier and I can't remember who.  Really annoying and I'm Ubisoft ain't gonna fix it.  Don't know how they botched this but I don't know what to expect from the company that somehow shit the bed on tetris.  To be honest this is slightly soured me on buying the game physically.  Its not game breaking or anything but it is a nuisance.

Considering a huge portion of demon slayer is actually cgi I think it is a strange comparison.  

But yeah if you liked the writing then again, oof.  Gives me hope that I personally don't have to try that hard to be successful in my own endeavors.  Just have ppl spout out gems like "wtf is that?" 

Or fan favorite "you make god puke" or whatever dumb shit that demon said to the gibberish speaking priest who I assumed was drunk during the entire recording process 🤣

Add a dash of edgy gore and a bunch of meaningless exposition sprinkled with penis and poop jokes and you got yourself a weiner!

Just now, Sonichuman said:

I've been playing Scott Pilgrim with some friends online and there are definitely invisible enemies running around in this game that weren't in the original game.  Someone was complaining about this earlier and I can't remember who.  Really annoying and I'm Ubisoft ain't gonna fix it.  Don't know how they botched this but I don't know what to expect from the company that somehow shit the bed on tetris.  To be honest this is slightly soured me on buying the game physically.  Its not game breaking or anything but it is a nuisance.

All the comments about this re-releases performance has soured me on re-buying it at all. I had the original release that Ubisoft fucked me out of, and it sounds like they phoned in the rerelease as hard as they could so....fuck Ubisoft. 

On Castlevania I think S1s writing was good and S2s is good but also hinges heavily on how S3 plays out. S3 could evelevate or destroy S2, just depends how all the set up pays off. 

Edited by RSG3
53 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I do. The writing is awful. I'm perfectly fine with a "Teenagers luck into shit way above their pay grade" story, but this story goes nooooooo where. The crew quests are dull as fuck, the bad guys are 1 dimensional as a mother fucker, we travel light years across the galaxy to find...another humanoid alien race that's almost exactly like us...bleh. and the story never goes anywhere. Constantly going "Go here...ok found the thing except it's not the thing so go here instead, rinse, repeat, 5 or 6 times. So boring. Shit never goes anywhere. 

One thing I will thank Andromeda for tho is proving me right. For years I've been saying a protagonist with a ton of comba ft options doesn't mean you have a good combat system. This game proves it. The loss of strict classes for a more fluid system you could hot swap was fucking dope, the new movement mechanics, all of fucking awesome...but it doesn't matter because everything you fight can't even begin to compete or keep up with you so you just mop. ZzzZZZzzz.

I'd rather play 3, the combat there is actually fun. 

Edit: You know I never got that about ME3. Played at launch, didn't touch multi, got the same exact ending shit as everyone else who did the multi. 

The reason I don't blame the writers is because they were often stuck on characters they didn't write previously and were pressed for time. I feel that is a management issue. Someone in charge should had a group of people reviewing the story for continuity errors. The characters that came off best in ME3 were often handled by the same writer.

As for Andromeda. I never used that multi-class bullshit it was stupid from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. I literally just did classes manually. You shouldn't have to restrict yourself in a game due to design flaws. Also what was the point of having a vehicle that handled well, the Nomad, and no combat. Let me stop before I start on the unbelievably stupid "Let's go to a new galaxy with ships and vehicles with no weaponry nonsense."

22 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

there are definitely invisible enemies running around in this game that weren't in the original game.  Someone was complaining about this earlier and I can't remember who.

Alexa Bliss Reaction GIF by WWE

Yeah, I stopped playing cause the bugs were bumming me out. 

During the Twins' boss battle, the giant robot knocked me off the roof, and and the game decided to respawn me off of the roof. So I got to watch myself die slowly with nothing I could do. That was the final straw.

I think i'm just going to play river city girls again instead if I want a beat em up with a leveling system. I don't feel bad buying SP, the IP is near and dear to my heart, but the game is something that is less than the sum of it's parts somehow and kinda bums me out. 

Edited by KingTubb
15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

All the comments about this re-releases performance has soured me on re-buying it at all. I had the original release that Ubisoft fucked me out of, and it sounds like they phoned in the rerelease as hard as they could so....fuck Ubisoft. 

On Castlevania I think S1s writing was good and S2s is good but also hinges heavily on how S3 plays out. S3 could evelevate or destroy S2, just depends how all the set up pays off. 

What do you mean by how season 3 plays out?  

🤔

13 minutes ago, Angel said:

Considering a huge portion of demon slayer is actually cgi I think it is a strange comparison.  

But yeah if you liked the writing then again, oof.  Gives me hope that I personally don't have to try that hard to be successful in my own endeavors.  Just have ppl spout out gems like "wtf is that?" 

Or fan favorite "you make god puke" or whatever dumb shit that demon said to the gibberish speaking priest who I assumed was drunk during the entire recording process 🤣

Add a dash of edgy gore and a bunch of meaningless exposition sprinkled with penis and poop jokes and you got yourself a weiner!

Demon Slayer is mixture 2d/3d with mostly 2D but I'm talking about fluidity in movements and animation more so anything.