Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

GEARS 5 UPDATE...

hell yeah they made it happen...I never expected it but apparently the DeeBee/DR-1 skins are available to play in Horde!  Hopefully that wasn't a "mistake" and it's just a normal thing now... I thought it was quite an unfortunate oversight on their part to NOT have those playable in Horde, but finally it's an options!  We can't have T-800 in Horde but this is close enough to it for me!

Happy Robert Redford GIF

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Japanese footage of the Demon Slayer Arena Fighter by CC2

I got hyped for a second when i saw the thumbnail since it looked like a 2d fg.

Luckily i knew better to not get my hopes up.

Still sad to see another anime IP i like drown into the arena fighter pit.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Japanese footage of the Demon Slayer Arena Fighter by CC2

Damn. I honestly would've preferred they just entirely ripped off Ultimate Ninja Storm and slapped in Demon Slayer characters instead of whatever this is. This looks rigid and contrived, to me at least. 

Looks about as good as that One Punch Man game that released not too long ago. Which wasn't really good at all. 

Gears 5 Horde mode has "Boss Rush" as an event you can play now....they should definitely keep this is a regular thing.... holy shit man... even on Beginner, the chaos going on was on another level of craziness.  There's all kinds of vicious combinations... you might be fighting the "Matriarch" while there's 2 Snatchers and the Kestrel helicopter in the sky to worry about.  Of course as you could infer by the name of it... this is like this all the time... every wave you're fighting multiple bosses at the same time...and on some, regular enemies eventually show up too.  I can only imagine this must be completely outrageous on the high difficulties.  The Matriarch and the Snatcher are creatures that walk that fine line of being cheap sometimes....both have moves that instantly mean it's over for you.

*another interesting thing adding to this... since it is 10 waves and mostly bosses showing up, people tend to focus the currency on upgrading themselves instead of buying fortifications...but there's also power taps; if you let those get destroyed (which is highly likely when you have 4 or 5 boss creatures running around the map)....if you keep letting those get destroyed, the team will be starved for power currency.

damn man....hell of a first impression there... so far this looks like exactly the shot in the arm this Horde mode needed.

Edited by MillionX

GEARS 5---the 4x experience is still on until around mid-day today I think... I'll have to get at least a few more rounds in on it... I went up at least 20+ levels(!!) in terms of exp yesterday, leading into another "re-up" (Re-Up #5 for me, I think), all during late afternoon and night yesterday.  

There's also at least 1 new boss I've seen... some poisonous venom-spewing creature called Wakaatu 

Interesting lore behind this one..

https://gearsofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Wakaatu

I may go ahead and get the dlc even though it's not on sale at the moment

heh, finally playing a DR-1 in Horde is so much fun though.  They've really turned G5 Horde mode around at this point with these latest changes, imo. 

....hahah it must be weird to see a DR-1 playing "Pilot" role summoning a Silverback, I bet... I should try that...or Baird's old skill-setup (which has a "summon DR-1" ultimate)....I could be a robot summoning another robot.... 

EDIT---"Infiltrator", the class formerly known as Kait(Scout) is STILL gloriously busted, imo....and I have no shame in using it.  It is extremely rare that I ever feel like my character is "in trouble" when I'm playing that.  Boosted defense, and ridiculous shotgun (+bleed damage) damage + an ultimate that makes me invisible for easy executions or just escaping or picking someone up? (*oh 1 perk makes it so I run faster than other characters; I only tend to get this if I have points to spare though)  Delicious.  I've got it leveled up to 17, closing in on level 18 now; it's my most played character class for sure.  Even after some things have been toned down (you now have to be very close for the bleed damage effect on shotguns) it's still one hell of a powerhouse character class.

Edit 2-- some of the fans... I'm glad they are NOT the ones on the dev team.. it's always strange to me when I see people clamoring for Horde to go back to basic shit... no fortifications or specialized classes... just basic starting weapons for everyone, a map and enemies.  I don't think they realize just how boring that could potentially be *after* Horde has added so many things over the years...to me it would be like the next Capcom fighting game going back to just being 8 characters like SF2.

Edited by MillionX
6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wish CC2 got another chance to develop another game like Jojo Eye of Heaven. 

Really? I didn't really like that game. I much preferred All Star Battle, which they also made but in a more traditional fighting game style. 

I think it was trying to do something Anarchy Reigns did much better, but, maybe that type of Jojo's game just isn't for me 

I still think HFTF is the king either way 👑

So... this week in Gears

https://www.gears5.com/this-week-in-gears-feb-16

I would be interested in seeing a "Heroic" skin of all the characters eventually... but that price....40,000 gold coins?! bruh... 😆  It's nice that it is in-game currency, but damn that would be one hell of a grind there for one character skin.

y'know, I never go for weapon skins, but I saw that they had the "matte black" skin a little while ago... that always looks cool to me since it gives the guns a nice touch of realism, visually.

The ugliest skins I've ever seen were added a couple of months ago though... I forgot the name of those guys, but they have brightly colored outfits on....looks completely ridiculous in the worst possible way....they actually look like clown characters. 

Another gripe randomly came to mind--- I still can't stand how consistently disappointing the damn boomshot is.  This is across multiple games in the franchise, btw... it always looks like something that should be much more devastating than it really is.....at least when a player character has it.  OF COURSE when the cpu-controlled enemies use it, suddenly it's doing like 100000% splash-damage to the player and they have perfect accuracy from the other side of the map.  It also seems like many times I've seen the shot go right thru enemies like the game just said "no, I decided you missed that shot...I know what it looks like but you missed because I said so."  I was playing "demolition" in Horde earlier and eventually just gave up on that damn weapon.  The GL Lancer is far more reliable.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Console scalpers trying to play victim. Saying they don't deserve all the negative press

I'm not gonna feel sympathy at all for the scalpers getting shit on but they're only part of the problem.  Until impatient people stop willingly buying product at double and triple the price especially when it's a product that's going to get replenished  the scalpers aren't going to have a reason to stop.

Edited by Sonichuman

I finally began playing Shenmue 3 after having bought it in Nov 2019.

I have only played the game for 3 hours. While I would normally write my feelings for a game AFTER  completing the campaign, I just felt like venting

For reference, I bought and finished Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast in fall 2000 and S2 on Xbox in fall 2002.  For the time, I loved the extreme interaction, the fact that you talk to all npc and fight people in 3d environments. The QTE was also a novel thing for me at that time, as was going to the arcade and playing old games.

Shenmue 3:

Pros:

While the graphics are just ok, the environments look beautiful. 

The classic theme plays in the notebook. YAY!

Cons:

The stilted English voice acting. It was in the old games, but i think somehow its worse. A lot of the responses to questions seem like they were used for other dialogue and poorly cut and pasted.  The same GOD DAMN conversation is there every morning in Shenhuas house.  

You hardly get real characterization from her outside of some tidbits. Ryo has the wrong inflection and tone a lot of times, making a statement seem like a question.

There is so much focus on trivial things. Each time Ryo enters the living room, a cut scene of him taking off his shoes plays. While it was nice that you can talk to all NPC, 80 of them just say a variation of "I cant help you".   

Battle system has been changed significantly. I guess since SEGA is not involved, the Virtua Fighter esque system couldnt be used. The controls say something like "Just press the face buttons" Try pressing R2".  Each button doesnt have a designated attack like most Also, there is a1-2 second delay from when you push an attack button to when it comes out.  There are NO throws anymore. While I wasnt super in love with the old system, this is one pure ASS!

The life meter depletes when you RUN around town. It also is the same meter used during fights.  IIRc this was never in S1 or S2.  You have to eat stuff using your limited money. I think its funny that eating garlic gives you back the most HP. I guess that why the villagers are not helpful to Ryo.

The QTE is very quick and strict and a lot of times you have to use it in fights.  They dont even display the circle/square/x/triangle symbols , just a solid color to show the buttons,which feels really lazy.

While Yu Suzuki claimed this was not the the end, I spoiled myself after and watched the "I wasted my life"  and Matt McMuscles "Wha happun" videos and am dismayed at the ending.

Overall:  4/10

I knew something was wrong when I got the game for half price and with a steelbook only 1 week after launch.

Thankfully, I never gave any money to the kickstarter or got the PC version. I feel worse for those folks.

There's a part of me that feels sad seeing as how this and SF5 were the main reasons I went with PS4 and I felt both were disppointing.

SF5 seems to have improved in recent years at least, but I doubt S4 will ever be made.

ha, Shenmue games were already laughably bad, imo... but from that post by Dangerous J.... it sounds even worse than what I was expecting. 😆  Someone would have to pay me to bother playing that.

BlizzCon is this coming Friday and Saturday; even though Diablo 4 is already terribly off-putting to me, I'm still interested to see what they have to show.  It's late afternoon here, It starts at 4pm Central Standard time.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule

I never played a Shenmue game.  They never appealed to me.  Im just recently trying out the Yakuza games.  Seems aight. 

I tried this game called Valheim.  Man, I really just dont like crafting in games.  This shit is a survival crafting game.  I knew that going in but I figured I try it out anyway.  Its ok I suppose.  If you like that crafting shit you'd probably like this game.  Its third person style so thats nice. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I want there to be a Xenoblade X port so any Wii U holdouts can finally chuck the console. 

That game deserves a 2nd chance so bad.  I hope at some point they get past that lame excuse they gave as to why it can't be ported.

I've been seeing a couple of LoZ anniversary rumors.  Most of them are saying there's going to be 2 anniversary collections.  I don't doubt that something like that is probably happening but the rumors so far have only happened once and the only thing to go on is this.

Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Blizzard hasn't really made anything worth while in ages.  They recycle the same stuff endless.

Diablo 4 seems so meh , especially with Lost Ark and Path of Exile 2 on the horizon. Makes sense since pretty much all the old blizzard members left years ago, they are running on fumes with their current team.

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

BlizzCon is this coming Friday and Saturday; even though Diablo 4 is already terribly off-putting to me, I'm still interested to see what they have to show.

Edited by Skort

Yeah, the only thing of relevance to me with Blizzard is Diablo.... but yep, they have some insanely tough competition in that genre now with Lost Ark and Path of Exile... Lost Ark in particular is currently THE best looking arpg out there, imo.... it's a damn shame it's not out here in the U.S. officially and on multiple platforms.

I've still just played Path a couple of times... but I wish more games would take a page out of their playbook and give players an absurdly huge skill tree to play with.  That was the main thing that jumped out to me as awesome.

Oddly enough I will check out whatever they have on Overwatch, even though I don't play that game...nor do I have plans on ever buying it... I just love those character designs, and the cinematics (in Blizzard games in general) are always some amazing shit.

Edited by MillionX

Well, another one bites the dust behind the scenes at VTM: Bloodlines 2 😞 ... producer Florian Schwarzer has left Paradox...this tweet was actually a while ago in January...

https://twitter.com/ze_schwarzer/status/1350050634888835074/photo/1

eh, I don't often link tweets, maybe that shows up, maybe not... 

heh, I'm watching Cyael's reaction to the latest Avengers game reveal....it's gold, of course.  I doubt Hawkeye will ever be a character that wins me over.  He's just a dude, man.... and his wack ass daughter... archery skills.  Man please... Get those weak ass "B-team" chumps outta heah 🤣  I know that might be one for the "unpopular opinions" thread but damn those character just so lame to me, compared to everyone else on the damn team.  What can regular humans do when GOD-level shit like Thanos shows up to Earth?  😆

Edited by MillionX

Can't say i am a huge fan of Assassins Creed games, but i have been messing around with Odyssey and i'll be honest, i am having fun. I think i like it because it has very little to do with the modern story of AC titles. I am about 25 hours in and i only had 2 sequences where they briefly showed modern times. Story is interesting and i am curious about this Cult of Kosmos thing.

Oh , and this is the only game that allows me to Spartan Kick a boar. 

https://streamable.com/jc1kjx

Just now, Skort said:

Can't say i am a huge fan of Assassins Creed games, but i have been messing around with Odyssey and i'll be honest, i am having fun. I think i like it because it has very little to do with the modern story of AC titles. I am about 25 hours in and i only had 2 sequences where they briefly showed modern times. Story is interesting and i am curious about this Cult of Kosmos thing.

Oh , and this is the only game that allows me to Spartan Kick a boar. 

https://streamable.com/jc1kjx

One of my favorite things about Black Flag was they almost never pull you into the "real world"  so you just get to really immerse yourself in being a pirate. 

I started playing Breath of the Wild a few days ago on CEMU.  I was just gonna set it up and check out how it ran but I was having fun and decided I'd keep playing it.  I also tried out Wind Waker as well.  Guess I'll play through BotW then play Wind Waker till I get to that boring part...can you skip that?  Zelda anny time...might as well play some loz

spacer.png

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

It's time for some merio kart action! stop by if you like either  here or on Youtube! Live in 30 min!

Might be able to join in...doing taxes right now.  Will give you a heads up.

Edit: 

@TheInfernomanMy son is going to make this difficult since he loves the Switch Pro controller for whatever reason but I'm going to try to crash your game now.

Edited by Sonichuman

GEARS 5...

They took it away... my precious "Boss Rush" version of Horde.  It was so perfect... the action was next-level insanity that the mode has needed for quite a long time now....and they apparently just took it away like a limited time "event".  Dammit, man

Sad Feelings GIF

It still highlighted the fact that the game needs more bosses though.  So far it looks like that creature "Wakaatu" is the only new thing from what I've seen.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Might be able to join in...doing taxes right now.  Will give you a heads up.

Edit: 

@TheInfernomanMy son is going to make this difficult since he loves the Switch Pro controller for whatever reason but I'm going to try to crash your game now.

I had fun and we had some good moments playing...but man those lobbies with most peeps at 10k+ Points got crazy. Everyone so intense lol. Thanks again for popping though!

About Nintendo’s Direct tomorrow: The conspiracy theorist/optimist in me thinks that a new retro console is coming to the NSO service tomorrow. The last time they updated the NSO Apps the same day as a Direct we got the SNES App. 
(Which I now realize is the last time we got an official Nintendo Direct! Add another layer to my tin foil hat!)

So I’m thinking we may get a new retro console app added. I just don’t know which one. I’m thinking maybe N64 or an all-in-one but pre-NDS Gameboy app. 

Or, in Nintendo fashion; we could simply get nothing and I’m being too hopeful. We’ll see 

I’m so excited for tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. 

Edited by iStu X
24 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

I don't know what to expect for Wednesday's Nintendo Direct. I'm just stoked to have one. 

But if there's no news about Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 2, No More Heroes 3 or Metroid Prime 4, I'm sure this will be the reaction from fans:

"Worst Direct EVAR!!!!!"

I want Bayo 3 news but I'm not going to set my self up for let down right now after what Kamiya said (he is a troll though so...) and I'm still not going to expect MP4 news.  NMH3 news and BotW2 is def feasible.  I'm gonna be sitting on the phone talking to customers while this thing is going on and it's gonna drive me nuts lol.  Prob will start with the new Smash character and go from there...they've been doing that.