Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

and once again we have more evidence of online-only gaming being a terribly stupid thing... so I'll take a wild guess here that Anthem will soon be inaccessible.  Even if a game is a disappointing thing like Anthem was, I will never be ok with the very concept of a game becoming completely unplayable/gone when the company moves on or whatever.  That idea actually disgusts me.

...the PC side of the Diablo fanbase can be cheerleaders for that foolishness all they want... I bet a lot of them would be singing a different tune if something happened where Blizzard no longer existed a few weeks for now, or perhaps another company bought them out and then shut the servers down or whatever.  Console version would continue to exist.  PC version would be dead and literally unplayable unless someone hacked the shit, I guess.  Fuck all that.

Battleborn was another one---can you play that shit today?  Nope probably not.  Same for Destiny, The Division, the upcoming game Outriders.  Such moronic horseshit....it's irritating just to think about that slowly becoming the norm in this dumbass industry.

Edited by MillionX
11 minutes ago, MillionX said:

and once again we have more evidence of online-only gaming being a terribly stupid thing... so I'll take a wild guess here that Anthem will soon be inaccessible.  Even if a game is a disappointing thing like Anthem was, I will never be ok with the very concept of a game becoming completely unplayable/gone when the company moves on or whatever.  That idea actually disgusts me.

...the PC side of the Diablo fanbase can be cheerleaders for that foolishness all they want... I bet a lot of them would be singing a different tune if something happened where Blizzard no longer existed a few weeks for now, or perhaps another company bought them out and then shut the servers down or whatever.  Console version would continue to exist.  PC version would be dead and literally unplayable unless someone hacked the shit, I guess.  Fuck all that.

Battleborn was another one---can you play that shit today?  Nope probably not.  Same for Destiny, The Division, the upcoming game Outriders.  Such moronic horseshit....it's irritating just to think about that slowly becoming the norm in this dumbass industry.

To me the "online only" thing means they don't see the game as standing any sort of test of time, it's no different than cheap shitty food, so if the company making it is going in with that mentality, then why should any gamer take it seriously or want to pay for it?

ah, and I forgot to drag Diablo 4 into that little rant as well.. it's also going to be online-only across all versions this time, so that right there has nearly destroyed my interest in taking it seriously, since it's an "extended rental" like the rest of this online-only, handicapped junk.  The weird thing to me is how so many players act like it HAS to be this way now because of all the cheating...when Blizzard themselves and various other companies have been handling this just fine for many years...lately by making your offline character a separate thing from anything online. (*this is the case for the D2 remake and how it is in Torchlight 3.  Your offline character cannot play with online characters....I don't even really care about other people cheating in this sort of game anyway but whatever.)

heh, a friend is in denial for some reason about the game Outriders; I think he still expects it to be offline-capable even after I told him the game's director clarified that it needs a connection to the internet.  It's going to be funny if when the game is out he still believes that, and I might tell him "go ahead and take your system offline and TRY to play that shit....see what happens...see if you can still play it." 🤣

Phantasy Star Universe came to mind just then--- that was just fine as well; there was an offline component there.  I used to laugh at how for a while, the offline version of the game was actually superior, imo.  People were running the same areas over and over since that was all that was available online...meanwhile, in the offline mode I had seen all the areas and bosses, fought all possible monsters and got tons of gear, etc.

Edited by MillionX

I dunno if I care or not about online only.  I pirate shit so if it gets taken offline I'll still be able to access it.  Course, I have played a couple mmos in an empty world and its not so fun.  But still, they usually last long enough for me to get my enjoyment out of.  And now lots of games have shit that I can play online still.  Like that Tarkov game I'm playing.  I think its online only but folk at one of my pirate sites already have private servers and shit for it.  Not easy to use or find players but can still play the game even if the dev/company/whoever goes under.  So, I know that, even if that game gets taken offline someday, I'll still be able to play it.

Thing is though, games that do get taken down eventually...I got my use out of.  Like Scott Pilgrim.  Sure I was upset I couldnt play it anymore so I pirated it.  I only played one level in the game then went back to a more current game that I like better.  Man, only reason I even found out I couldnt download SP was cause some dude on srk was saying shit about how its gone and even if you bought it you cant download it.  I wanted to prove him wrong.  He was right.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

It'll be a shame but maybe when Bioware gets put out to pasture that will finally make other devs realize the risk in being under EA.

I wonder how often any of these devs even have a choice. Most of em get bought out don't they?

32From what I understand, unless it's a shareholder take over most of the time when a 3rd party like Bioware goes under a company like EA it's usually by 'choice'.  One company, usually the bigger company makes an offer to the smaller for them to work under and the higher ups of the smaller company either yay or nay it.  It's not too often that a smaller company will approach a bigger company to take over unless there's something like the smaller company is floundering and in need of someone to give them financial backing so they'll put it out there that they're willing to be bought.  The former is pretty much what goes on with M$ cause barely any of those companies as far as I know were hurting.    Rare is the only company that I can think of where ownership of the company was by stock share since Rare was a 2nd party to Ninty purely due to the amount of stock that they had in them that they sold to M$.  I'm pretty sure Ninty has a sizable share of stock in The Pokemon Company and Gamefreak but not enough to fully own either of them or enough of the stock to just stop them from fully making games on other consoles in the case of Gamefreak.

I could be definitely wrong on this but Rare is really the only example I can think of where a company's ownership was purely changed by stock.

Diablo II is a game I've always wanted to play. I never got into PC game and it never released on consoles so regardless of my feelings toward Blizzard, I'll be picking up DII on Switch. By some miracle the managed not to eff up the Blizzard Arcade Collection so they can do good from time to time.

Capcom Arcade Stadium continues to impress me with the slew of options. From arcade cabinets to screen views, I often have different setups for each game I'm playing. And all the SHMUPs here! Carrier Air Wing reminded me of U.N. Sqadron/Area 88 from glancing at it and sure enough, the game is a sequel of sorts at least in terms of mechanics. 

When I fired up Progear I could not believe I saw the Cave logo. 

Oooooo Oh Snap GIF

I played some Giga Wing. I'm just blowing stuff up, trying to stay alive and I take a look at my score and notice it is really freaking high. I think we got a new king for high score counter. Sorry, Crimzon Clover.

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition coming to PS5, Xbox Series on March 4

A free upgrade for existing owners.

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition provides a superior spectacle of the game’s haunting beauty, with rich, meticulous details never seen before on consoles. Along with gorgeous upgraded textures and razor-sharp 4K resolution, it will deliver an uncompromised 60 frames per second gameplay on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. (Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition renders at 4K resolution and 30 frames per second on Xbox Series S.)

This remaster has been calibrated to take full advantage of the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller’s suite of immersive technologies. From the whispering sounds and heartbeat vibrations that resonate from your controller as you approach a new Shell, to the impact you feel in the palm of your hands as you utilize the harden mechanics, this enhanced edition gives PlayStation 5 owners a rich physical connection to the game’s dangerous and ruthless world like never before.

42 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

d87ee85f-5b77-4073-9e76-d8efda2a6f0c.jpg

Yeah this isn't going to get more annoying as time goes on at all.  Eventually people who play CoD gonna have to make choices on if they plan on playing anything else that month or is it really worth uninstalling the game to play something else for a week to wait a whole day to DL all the patches to play CoD again.  People gonna have to plan their whole gaming time around whether they wanna play CoD later if they uninstalled it.  Like 'Aight If I wake up at 5am and start the DL then hopefully it'll be done by 6pm today when I get off so I can play'.  God have mercy on your soul if you don't have good DL speeds.

Edited by Sonichuman

The first ape escape was cool.  It was one of the first games (or was the first game) to use both analog sticks on the controller for shits.  I duuno, something like that.  But that was in like '99 or '00.  No other ape escape was as good as the first.  In fact they mostly sucked.  I've tried to play Gravity Rush a dozen times but the game is just boring as all fuck.  Its pretty and its neat being able to fly around and control the chick for a bit but when that wears off the game is boring.  Best games in recent memory from them are the LocoRoco games, Patapon and SotC, imo. 

I can see how they're not making a big enough profit to keep around.  Or at least not have so many projects. 

31 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

'Aight If I wake up at 5am and start the DL then hopefully it'll be done by 6pm today when I get off so I can play'

This happens everytime I play warzone. 

Luckily, all the guys I play with are dads and/or married or pretty busy, so we have to plan in advance when we're going to play. We've been burned before when trying to jump in and there's a 14gb update making everyone wait, so we know to boot the game up the night before just to download everything. 

It still boggles my mind that warzone is like 120gb. In comparison, Apex is like 40-60gb iirc. 

Why is Warzone 2-3X as big as Apex?? 

20 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Meanwhile, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna together are 16GB. Hell Torna is only 3GB by itself.

To be semi fair in this, XBC doesn't have high player count multiplayer attached to it.  It still doesn't excuse the excessive amount of space this game takes up when comparing to its peers.  Apex being a 3rd of the space as Warzone is far more concerning.  That tells me easily that Respawn seems to be atleast attempting to optimize their shit

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Yeah this isn't going to get more annoying as time goes on at all.  Eventually people who play CoD gonna have to make choices on if they plan on playing anything else that month or is it really worth uninstalling the game to play something else for a week to wait a whole day to DL all the patches to play CoD again.  People gonna have to plan their whole gaming time around whether they wanna play CoD later if they uninstalled it.  Like 'Aight If I wake up at 5am and start the DL then hopefully it'll be done by 6pm today when I get off so I can play'.  God have mercy on your soul if you don't have good DL speeds.

Just wait till they can't install everything because they hit their data cap. 

Yea those are still a thing. 

Word, we just had to upgrade our service to unlimited data cause I went over the cap and it cost 60 bucks every 10gb you go over the cap.  So, kinda force us to pay the extra 10 bucks to avoid the possible 60+ every now and then.  The cap is 2TB for comcast.  I'm certain many a folk will be hitting that cap with the way games are going.  They just keep getting bigger and bigger in size. 

good thing for me I'm not a fan of Call of Duty.  The huge file-size of those games would've killed my interest a long time ago.  No way in the world I would uninstall everything else on a system to play that 1 game, all because they clearly don't give a damn about even the slightest bit of compression on the files.

Curse of the Dead Gods-- I defeated the first boss so far, but that 2nd one is tough... 2 attempts and it killed me both times so far...haha that last time I had 3 curses on me by the time I made it there to fight him.

So far, my favorite weapons that are standing out as "good" are the simple pistol you start with, and the throwing knives.  There is also a whip but I prefer to have that pistol as my off-hand weapon.

27 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Cause this is what the children want...a FF7 Battle Royale...and a chapter based remake of the PSOne version of FF7....that isn’t on consoles for some reason. 

So yeah I JUST finished getting caught up on the SoP aaand just saw that battle royale.  Fucking had me in tears.  Who in the fuck at square is both coming up with these ideas and greenlighting them?  FINAL FANTASY VII....BATTLE ROYALE...ON PHONES.  FUCKING REALLY?  FFVII battle royale was insult enough and then you just went and threw it on phones.  I mean the chance of me even playing it was like under 5% but you just put it into 0% just by putting it on the phone.  I'm intrigued by them telling original FF7 storyline over again with remade visuals that include the whole compilation with turn based combat...BUT THEN YOU PUT IT ON PHONES.  Like...I fucking can't right now lol.

Things that I liked from the were Kena, the Yuffie episode (nice that I get a free upgrade and I can just dl the episode when I get my PS5)  and Sifu.  Sifu looks incredibly interesting to me and I'm hoping the combat is just as interesting as I'm hoping it is.  Returnal looks good, Knockout Kings looks like it could actually be fun.   Solar Ash and Deathloop look interesting but they aren't anywhere on the list for a chance of purchase from me.  Same goes for Oddworld. 

Vids

Spoiler

Extra

Also want to say that while I'm excited to play another episode that features Yuffie, I'm kinda mixed on this announcement if only because I feel they could have maybe included this with Chap 2.  Them doing this pretty much confirms that the time they were working on this wasn't being spent on Chap 2.

Edited by Sonichuman

You know what I've noticed a lot lately on Steam?  Mobile games getting ported to PC.  Some are actually fun.  But that's not what really matters to me.  The thing is, I'm impressed with how far mobile games have come since I last paid them any attention.  I still don't like touch controls but phone games seem to be getting more...legit?

I checked this game out a bit.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Its fun.  Its a bit tough controlling the car but that's just cause I haven't gotten the hang of it yet.  It seems like a fun game to waste 15 or 20 minutes if you need.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

I will say this, they might use the Ever Crisis mobile game to retcon the stuff in the other FF 7 games that they know are bad or stupid. Such as using the facial model of a major character based on a famous singer who sang a Kamen Rider theme once upon a time.

Gackt fans where y'all at?

No I am serious I only know dude from singing a Kamen Rider theme, a cameo as one and a nice cover he did to one of the Demon Slayer anime themes. Is he really that big they just can't pay him to use his face again?

Edited by Wellman