Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

34 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Nomura stepping down to Creative Director for FFVIIR part 2 cause he has a ton on his plate  (ah hell..here we go again), co director from part 1 will be sole director

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-two-to-be-directed-by-part-one-co-director-naoki-hamaguchi

please let it be more useless mobile kingdom hearts titles. BATTLE ROYALE MAYBE!?

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

I will say this, they might use the Ever Crisis mobile game to retcon the stuff in the other FF 7 games that they know are bad or stupid. Such as using the facial model of a major character based on a famous singer who sang a Kamen Rider theme once upon a time.

Gackt fans where y'all at?

No I am serious I only know dude from singing a Kamen Rider theme, a cameo as one and a nice cover he did to one of the Demon Slayer anime themes. Is he really that big they just can't pay him to use his face again?

Gakt is fucking huge. He was first part of a well known Visual Key Band then did his solo shit. 

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

please let it be more useless mobile kingdom hearts titles. BATTLE ROYALE MAYBE!?

At this point man battle royale is and has been the new VG industry meme so you joke but it definitely in the realm of possibility at this point.    Nobody thought we'd be getting a Tetris and Mario battle royale game but it but happened.  At that point the writing should have been on the wall that nothing is outside of the realm of it happening.  I don't know if we hit critical mass yet like we did with the zombies but we're getting pretty close.

Edit:

also this was posted in the lounge and I thought it was too good not to post in here

Put in the headphones and listen.

Edited by Sonichuman

I'm personally not seeing where my PS5 has earned it's place yet, especially with the State of Play yesterday. So far, it does get used more than my PS4 Pro; but Sony is going to need to do something fast on the storage front. I think I'm at around 25-30% capacity on the main drive inside the PS5 right now, since the missus has been playing Warzone nightly before bed.

42 minutes ago, Wellman said:

As a art/design guy he is very 'distinct' but as an actual lead on a development project he is mostly misses. FFVII Remake was the first time it seemed like he pulled it off with some help that wasn't a big disappointment.

You've summed up my thoughts exactly. I couldn't agree with you more.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

FFVII Remake was the first time it seemed like he pulled it off with some help that wasn't a big disappointment.

I didn't realize that Nomura isn't just the lead character designer, but also the director of FF7R....

Interested to see how that wraps up, because from what I've gathered, the story is swerving left and there's some kind of timeline manipulating wacky stuff going on. 

Cause KH1 had a nice little neat story that was interesting enough. Then the rest of the series happened. 

So let's see if this dude decides to drink more paint thinner or whatever he does and word vomit on a page for FF7R like he did for KH

Edit: I'll add the best thing that KH ever did as my VGM friday contribution: 

Edited by KingTubb
3 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

it's free in Match for PS Plus

For real?? That's wild. 

I had a couple people clowning me cause I don't have a PC and they were talking about how I have to drop $50 a year for PS+ to play online. 

I didn't even think of the 24+ games you get included, which if you add it up are definitely worth more than $50 retail. 

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I didn't even think of the 24+ games you get included, which if you add it up are definitely worth more than $50 retail. 

PS+ has been on fire recently, especially with the 20 free games you get from the collection.

They've been stepping it up with the release of game pass,  and epic giving away good free shit, too. Competition is good.

Unless you're Nintendo 😐

If this keeps up PS+ is more than worth it. People that snagged a PS5 that didn't have a PS4 made out like bandits. The PS+ collection is full of must have games. Reminds me of the PS3 version of the service. Online was free on PS3, so they gave away good software to encourage people to sign up. On PS4 it was so so, better than Xbox live gold but they were just trying to push Gamepass at that point so that isn't saying much.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

I didn't realize that Nomura isn't just the lead character designer, but also the director of FF7R....

Interested to see how that wraps up, because from what I've gathered, the story is swerving left and there's some kind of timeline manipulating wacky stuff going on. 

Cause KH1 had a nice little neat story that was interesting enough. Then the rest of the series happened. 

So let's see if this dude decides to drink more paint thinner or whatever he does and word vomit on a page for FF7R like he did for KH

Edit: I'll add the best thing that KH ever did as my VGM friday contribution: 

IIRC Nomura got volontold to be the director for FFVIIR part 1.  Think he said he was in the audience when the game was announced and then later after they told him he was going to be director.  He didn't even ask to do it lol.

26 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

He didn't even ask to do it lol.

Now I'm not surprised that this same company is releasing a FFBR on phones. Mobile gaming has always been bigger in Japan, but still...

Also, Gamestop is such a mess of a company. I ordered my PS5 on Tuesday night, and my order status just says "in progress"

So I was starting to panic that they didn't actually have the PS5 in stock and were going to leave me out to dry until they got more in stock or just cancel my order. 

Contacted customer service, the thing shipped yesterday and is going to be here Sunday. 

Update your site. dummies. The rep had to send me the tracking number over text chat. 

Lordy. I'm sorta hoping that they notice it wasn't updated in like a week, panic thinking that they didn't send me one and send me an extra one, or cancel and refund me the money 😈

Edited by KingTubb

Just watched the Pokémon Direct 

Snap looks great

Gen 4 remakes are kinda whatever. Gen 4 is one of my least favorite gen’s. So I’m not that enthused by it. It’s cute as fuck though and I will still likely pick one of them up. 

Legends Arceus looks great. 

Edited by iStu X
16 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Nomura stepping down to Creative Director for FFVIIR part 2 cause he has a ton on his plate  (ah hell..here we go again), co director from part 1 will be sole director

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-two-to-be-directed-by-part-one-co-director-naoki-hamaguchi

I am still amazed how SE keeps putting him on charge of basically everything.

Not because i don't think he is capable, but because it is overwhelming and ends affecting negatively any project, since he has his attention spread all over everything.

11 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Great read

I think part of the purpose there is that people don't have to leave behind franchises they want to play. Yes, it cost a lot, but this is Google we're talking about and they have more money than God, so.... Plus a bunch of indie releases no one has ever heard of isn't exactly a good way to get people to sign up for your service.

19 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

So yeah I JUST finished getting caught up on the SoP aaand just saw that battle royale.  Fucking had me in tears.  Who in the fuck at square is both coming up with these ideas and greenlighting them?  FINAL FANTASY VII....BATTLE ROYALE...ON PHONES.  FUCKING REALLY?  FFVII battle royale was insult enough and then you just went and threw it on phones.  I mean the chance of me even playing it was like under 5% but you just put it into 0% just by putting it on the phone.  I'm intrigued by them telling original FF7 storyline over again with remade visuals that include the whole compilation with turn based combat...BUT THEN YOU PUT IT ON PHONES.  Like...I fucking can't right now lol.

Things that I liked from the were Kena, the Yuffie episode (nice that I get a free upgrade and I can just dl the episode when I get my PS5)  and Sifu.  Sifu looks incredibly interesting to me and I'm hoping the combat is just as interesting as I'm hoping it is.  Returnal looks good, Knockout Kings looks like it could actually be fun.   Solar Ash and Deathloop look interesting but they aren't anywhere on the list for a chance of purchase from me.  Same goes for Oddworld. 

If the battle royal thing takes off, they can port it to consoles, if it doesn't, they just shut it down and say "just kidding guys" and move it along. Mobile is hot especially in the Asian world, so it makes sense for them to put out some mobile FF games, especially since the ports they released did pretty well from what I understand.

9 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Great read

I feel like Stadia is an insult to consumers intelligence and I'm not surprised (nor is anyone else) that it totally failed.  

This line cracked me up:

"The prospects were exciting to fans and pundits, who predicted that Stadia could dominate the market, offering many of the same games as Xbox and PlayStation without the hefty price tag."

Lokasi GIF by memecandy

Who the hell ever said that? From the moment it was announced, everyone I saw that had anything to say about it either responded with apathy, skepticism, cynicism, or flat out lol'd at it. 

Also, aren't games full price on that thing?? And you can't even download or physically own them?? Seems a lot less economical when you're essentially renting a game at full price 

18 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I think part of the purpose there is that people don't have to leave behind franchises they want to play. Yes, it cost a lot, but this is Google we're talking about and they have more money than God, so.... Plus a bunch of indie releases no one has ever heard of isn't exactly a good way to get people to sign up for your service.

When it comes to investing in a new console or platform I want content exclusive for that console or platform. I don’t want or need to own whatever AAA game across x modern platforms. That’s extremely fucking stupid to me. 

Also those Indie releases could have been something special on Stadia if they were from indie studios that were worth their salt or made of indie veterans. Even if they were timed exclusives 

Edited by iStu X
12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

If the battle royal thing takes off, they can port it to consoles, if it doesn't, they just shut it down and say "just kidding guys" and move it along. Mobile is hot especially in the Asian world, so it makes sense for them to put out some mobile FF games, especially since the ports they released did pretty well from what I understand.

Ahh yes...that ole option select.  I really wish that Ever Crisis gets ported so I'm hoping that it's successful enough to cross over.  That's only if it's good though since I'm curious how they're going to approach execute the Dirge and Advent sections of the timeline.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I am still amazed how SE keeps putting him on charge of basically everything.

Not because i don't think he is capable, but because it is overwhelming and ends affecting negatively any project, since he has his attention spread all over everything.

It is the standard job path for developers in Japan. You start off with one job, get good enough to be put on something else, if your name is big enough they move you to director and later producer where you are running a whole division. 

Really outside Mario's Dad after guys become producers they usually either piss off folk or get burned out and leave. But old school business will do what old school business do.

Edit: Oh yeah heads up the PS+ version of FFVII Remake is not eligible for the free PS5 upgrade

Edited by Wellman
Just now, iStu X said:

FF7R becomes a PS+ Game in March. But the PS+ version is not eligible for the PS5/Integration update

No I get that.

Who is  eligable for the free upgrade?  I assume those of us who bought it last year but this is SE, I try to assume nothing. 

I got that Ninja Warriors game on Switch; so far the buff robo-ninja in the blue outfit seems like a better choice compared to the female in the red outfit.  There's a 3rd choice of initially playable characters but I haven't tried him yet.  The blue one is too good so far...he has a move where he charge/slides forward to easily close the distance to enemies, and he has nunchucks!

You're playing as robot ninjas, folks.  Hell yeah.

Happy Robert Redford GIF

Edited by MillionX

ohhhh I'm just now realizing the OUTRIDERS demo is out!  Damn it's 20+ gb though... I'll wait 'til tomorrow on that; I don't really feel like waiting around for that at the moment.  Apparently progress will save to the main game when it's out.  

I'm looking forward to that new patch in Diablo 3... I finally got caught up with the changes... they are finally improving the Wizard "Firebird" set:

• Firebird's Finery 2-Piece Set: When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. Disintegrate Ignites enemies, causing them to take 3000% weapon damage per second until they die.
  • Firebird's Finery 4-Piece Set: You gain 80% damage reduction and 4000% increased damage while Ignite is applied to a target. Casting Disintegrate adds Combustion stacks that reduce the cooldown of Teleport by 2% per stack. Stacks up to 50 times.
  • Firebird's Finery 6-Piece Set: Hitting an Ignited enemy with a fire spell other than Disintegrate deals Ignite damage multiplied by Combustion stacks.

"Developer's Note: Firebird’s Finery is due for a rebirth. We have overhauled the set to breathe new life into it while still allowing the player to incinerate the forces of Hell."

This is way better than the current Firebird deal.  Basically, it was needlessly complicated before, and the bonuses were underwhelming compared to most other things....too much work and not enough pay-off.  This new write-up for it seems like a step in the right direction; people will actually use it now.

I put in some time with the Outriders demo. It feels like they packed the game's first act into it. It's a pretty decent cover based third person shooter. This game loves to throw enemy waves at you. It's overwhelming most of the time and it's a goddamn struggle if there's any captains around. Only having 3 active skills is rather lame to me but whatever. The game doesn't throw loot at you all the time like Nioh. Most of the boxes I find tend to be ammo replenish. Given how often the games likes to throw waves at you I don't mind.  

8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I put in some time with the Outriders demo. It feels like they packed the game's first act into it. It's a pretty decent cover based third person shooter. This game loves to throw enemy waves at you. It's overwhelming most of the time and it's a goddamn struggle if there's any captains around. Only having 3 active skills is rather lame to me but whatever. The game doesn't throw loot at you all the time like Nioh. Most of the boxes I find tend to be ammo replenish. Given how often the games likes to throw waves at you I don't mind.  

I went through the demo as well. The 2 melee classes were a lot more fun to me than the pyro and whatever the long range one was. I can't really give it a rating until I try to go through it with some friends. It isn't bad, but nothing about it really stood out to me.

18 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

I went through the demo as well. The 2 melee classes were a lot more fun to me than the pyro and whatever the long range one was. I can't really give it a rating until I try to go through it with some friends. It isn't bad, but nothing about it really stood out to me.

I'm playing the long range class. The ice turret is a godsend against the enemy mobs. It's pretty good at giving cover fire. 

9 hours ago, iStu X said:

When it comes to investing in a new console or platform I want content exclusive for that console or platform. I don’t want or need to own whatever AAA game across x modern platforms. That’s extremely fucking stupid to me. 

Also those Indie releases could have been something special on Stadia if they were from indie studios that were worth their salt or made of indie veterans. Even if they were timed exclusives 

I can understand that. But cloud gaming is a hard sell for a lot of people already and convincing people to sign up and leave their xbox or ps4 behind is easier when you can tell those people they'll still have access to  recognizable franchises that are on those consoles. So it makes sense they google would want some AAA titles on its platform. I'm sure some of those indie games would have been great, but name recognition goes a long way. 

25 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I can understand that. But cloud gaming is a hard sell for a lot of people already and convincing people to sign up and leave their xbox or ps4 behind is easier when you can tell those people they'll still have access to  recognizable franchises that are on those consoles. So it makes sense they google would want some AAA titles on its platform. I'm sure some of those indie games would have been great, but name recognition goes a long way. 

It would be easier to get people to leave their Xbox and PS4 behind if they can carry their purchases to the streaming platform. Xcloud comes at no extra cost for people who have gamepass. Streaming being supplementary rather than the main product would also help it alot.