Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Just now, JHDK said:

Yuuuup.

But what do I know?

I am also one of those odd-balls who thinks that the DS remake of FF4 is incredible, and severely underrated.

Tails do suck, though.

I also really like the DS Remake of 4. Very good game. 4 has a few remakes and all of them are pretty great imo but DS4 gets and incredible amount of undo hate. 

Edited by RSG3

On the subject of FF and those we dislike.

I think the only one that i really have a negative opinion about it is XIII.

The "worst" i have played, still manage to have enough between gameplay, story and characters for me to like.

But XIII, man, is in rough spot, i like the idea of the combat, but it wasn't refined enough and felt more like button mashing, there is a cool idea there, but the game was designed in a way that you didn't really had to put much thought on how to use it.

The characters were ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i can pass Lighting and her shit, but when paired with hope, it becomes fucking annoying, i rushed all the parts where i was stuck with them, lol.

It didn't help that they were shitting on the only character that i totally liked, Snow.

The voice acting was terribad, Vanille in japanese is actually a nice char, but on english, by cuthullu, she becomes Hope tier.

The level design was just bad, really bad.

All of that makes it lower than Mystic Quest in my book.

XIII-2 and Lighting Returns were very welcomed improvements on the world, but too bad that dropped many concepts that i think are worth revisiting.

bravely default 2 is pretty dope so far. they really want you to mess with the job system  cause it was smooth sailing up until that berserker boss got in my ass in chapter 2. the current strat to max out classes is to go to the starter beach use fresh fish to get chain encounters max out free lancer 1st for the jp bonus abilities after equipping those it takes somewhere between 25-40 min to max out a class with the battle system running at the highest speed.

11 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

bravely default 2 is pretty dope so far. they really want you to mess with the job system  cause it was smooth sailing up until that berserker boss got in my ass in chapter 2. the current strat to max out classes is to go to the starter beach use fresh fish to get chain encounters max out free lancer 1st for the jp bonus abilities after equipping those it takes somewhere between 25-40 min to max out a class with the battle system running at the highest speed.

Have you been doing this the whole game? Where can I get all the fresh fish to attract aquatic monsters? 

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Have you been doing this the whole game? Where can I get all the fresh fish to attract aquatic monsters? 

yes! but i only just beat that beserker prince the enemies at the beach actually drop fresh fish so it kinda loops itself once you get started but if your looking to start of with fresh fish i think a sidequest in the first town has some as a reward.

Just now, nickmanx5 said:

yes! but i only just beat that beserker prince the enemies at the beach actually drop fresh fish so it kinda loops itself once you get started but if your looking to start of with fresh fish i think a sidequest in the first town has some as a reward.

I’m far ahead of you but god damn. Gotta try this. 

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

I’m far ahead of you but god damn. Gotta try this. 

it should be effective the whole game since  your grinding jp. i actually used a beastamer with a thief sub and spammed god speed slash after defaulting for 3 turns and that dropped the berserker pretty easily.

55 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

it should be effective the whole game since  your grinding jp. i actually used a beastamer with a thief sub and spammed god speed slash after defaulting for 3 turns and that dropped the berserker pretty easily.

I’m the hour of you posting this everyone has maxed out 2 job classes on the beach. 

👨‍🍳 😘 

Heads up for anyone interested, a remake of the Horizontal (Yoko) shmup Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton is out.  It contains the original FND Cotton release for the Sharp x68k (best version of that game) as well as a graphical update to that game, and a fully reworked arrange mode. Only flaws with the package i can find through reviews is that score doesnt reset on continue (No clue why devs let that happen with these games from time to time, makes the leader boards useless) and there is no training feature of any kind which is a pretty damn big miss these days. Like a fighter not having training mode. Just what? 

Otherwise looks like a fantastic package. Will be scooping myself.  

18 hours ago, Hecatom said:

On the subject of FF and those we dislike.

I think the only one that i really have a negative opinion about it is XIII.

The "worst" i have played, still manage to have enough between gameplay, story and characters for me to like.

But XIII, man, is in rough spot, i like the idea of the combat, but it wasn't refined enough and felt more like button mashing, there is a cool idea there, but the game was designed in a way that you didn't really had to put much thought on how to use it.

The characters were ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i can pass Lighting and her shit, but when paired with hope, it becomes fucking annoying, i rushed all the parts where i was stuck with them, lol.

It didn't help that they were shitting on the only character that i totally liked, Snow.

The voice acting was terribad, Vanille in japanese is actually a nice char, but on english, by cuthullu, she becomes Hope tier.

The level design was just bad, really bad.

All of that makes it lower than Mystic Quest in my book.

XIII-2 and Lighting Returns were very welcomed improvements on the world, but too bad that dropped many concepts that i think are worth revisiting.

Up until FFXIII my least favorite game in the series was FFVII, like it wasn't close. The horrid extremely linear level design. Only controlling one party member. A mostly unlikeable to or just down right grating cast. Sephiroth should have showed up and killed Hope and damned Vanille. Hell, I may have handed him the black materia if he did. XIII had seemingly deep world lore that you had to read in the menus because the game damn sure wasn't coughing up the info. The fact that you are in damned tutorial phase until you reach Grand Pulse. Whoever designed that fucking game should be barred from game development. FFXIII wasn't just a terrible Final Fantasy game, it wasn't just an awful RPG, it was down right putrid game period. I make quips about how I hate Tekken. I don't really hate Tekken. It is a quality franchise, I just don't enjoy it. I can see why others do however. I just don't see any redeeming qualities in XIII outside it being technically impressive from a graphical standpoint. Any other FF game I dislike, I can usually point to one major aspect that causes me to dislike the game. I can write novel on what was wrong XIII. :tldr:

Edited by Darc_Requiem

final fantasy xiii is one of those games where it takes too long to give you the whole battle system. the opposite of that is prob resonance of fate where they throw the whole book at you from go and you have to go the tutorial center to learn how to play the game and its possible to be attacked on the way to learn game i was not prepared for that ass whooping!

25 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

final fantasy xiii is one of those games where it takes too long to give you the whole battle system. the opposite of that is prob resonance of fate where they throw the whole book at you from go and you have to go the tutorial center to learn how to play the game and its possible to be attacked on the way to learn game i was not prepared for that ass whooping!

So Resonance of Fate is "You Gon' Learn Today!" the RPG? 😉

After Playing some time the hand holding simulator, Haven, I can see why everyone who played gives it a really positive score.

I am really digging the characters, their relationship, the rpg mechanics, etc.

I didn't know it was made by the same people behind Furi.

Now i understand why the visuals, music and story are high quality.

I also like how the romance is not corny, and actually has an impact in the mechanics of the game.

So far i am really impressed.

Haven.jpg

5_haven_drift_maximus.jpg

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Black Dessert Online is free. Apparently, you need to do a lot of grinding or buy stuff to actually get somewhere, so that sucks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

I've been playing BDO since late-December.

The game is gorgeous, even with my old hardware (i5-6500 & RTX480)  I was running it well above 60+FPS!

The Character Creator is really is the best on the block, though it excels at Waifu-Creation!!! 😉

But you "will" by doing some grinding and/or buying stuff, plus you will need to have decent internet!!

I lucked up and got in right when the new season started, so I got a lot of free stuff and still getting some due in part to the account transfer promotion!!

However, the winter season ends later this month, so if you want to try the game out and get plenty of in game stuff to help to reduce the grind, do so now.

I also advice watching this dudes' channel:

He has the best updated guides for new players to the game!!

Edited by CDB2k20

guess I'm gonna have to try this game now

Mighty Fight Federation adds Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night this spring

“Hello, this is Iga. I am pleased to announce that Miriam has been included in Mighty Fight Federation! Miriam is the protagonist of my exploration-heavy side-scrolling action game Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I am very excited to see what kind of fighting style she’ll bring to the table. Oh, and if you haven’t heard of Bloodstained, please check it out as well~ I wish you all have tons of fun playing both works.”

Mighty Fight Federation is available now on PS5 and PS4, so you can join the action while waiting for Miriam’s debut later this year.

GorgeousSingleBeaver-small.gif

51000477003_303e6d6dec_h.jpg

51001293477_e7a714aca5_h.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/04/bloodstaineds-miriam-joins-3d-arena-battler-mighty-fight-federation/

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So Resonance of Fate is "You Gon' Learn Today!" the RPG? 😉

I remember not liking that game. Bad enough I had a difficult time grasping the combating but seeing that the world map was a board game I went nope. Making a game out of getting from point A to point Bis something I'm not willing to put up with. 

I remember that i wasnt able to finish the game because someone stole the game 😕

It was on the car of a friend, because i lend it to him.

That day, i lost Folklore, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Ghost Busters and others.

I have managed to recover most of them, but i am still missing Resonance of Fate.

The ridiculous thing is that only the games were missing, mine and the few he had on the car.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Heads up for anyone interested, a remake of the Horizontal (Yoko) shmup Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton is out.  It contains the original FND Cotton release for the Sharp x68k (best version of that game) as well as a graphical update to that game, and a fully reworked arrange mode. Only flaws with the package i can find through reviews is that score doesnt reset on continue (No clue why devs let that happen with these games from time to time, makes the leader boards useless) and there is no training feature of any kind which is a pretty damn big miss these days. Like a fighter not having training mode. Just what? 

Otherwise looks like a fantastic package. Will be scooping myself.  

I want to get this so fucking bad. The shipping for it though from Amazon Japan is a fucking boner killer (it was like $30 to have it shipped if I remember the correct listing).

Edit: looked up the listing, it's around $20 for either version. I may scoop after all.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
boob

sheeeeittt, the new Locust Zealot looks so cool:

I have a version already thanks to an unlock from the Operation 6.  With the amount of characters and skins available, this game is finally in a good place, imo.   V. Hoffman is also in the game now as of Op.6.

They need to bring back Boss Rush Horde though and make that a regular thing.  That shit was GOLD.

My ultimate wish for this game would be the return of Beast Mode.  Sadly, it seems the devs are intent on NEVER making that happen for some reason....many fans have probably already given up all hope on ever seeing that mode again.  😞 

Edited by MillionX
Just now, YourFavGrandpa said:

I want to get this so fucking bad. The shipping for it though from Amazon Japan is a fucking boner killer (it was like $30 to have it shipped if I remember the correct listing).

Edit: looked up the listing, it's around $20 for either version. I may scoop after all.

Thats the price of doing business with Japan directly unfortunately. 

Just now, JHDK said:

Too mas broken?

Something in the data they got from the beta made them feel like the game needed more time and it wasn't something that could be done in a month apparently.  Don't know what it was since as far as I know I'm not aware anything that I've seen or heard that was really broken or busted.  Only thing I can think of is damage and character balance tweaks but I get the feeling it isn't that if they're pushing it back a whole 2 months a month before the game's release.  Something had to have come up that they felt needed to be ironed out despite all the positive feedback the beta got.

y'know, it turns my stomach each time I see these horrible designs in the game...first there was the "Color Blast" variants of characters in Gears of War 4....but Gears 5 has these dudes:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/the-new-day-bundle/9nn3fbpkt8qz

...in the most ridiculous looking outfits I've seen since that time they had the chubby mexican dude dressed up as a luchador.

Seriously....look at this clown shit

The Wire Reaction GIF

Fortunately, most have some taste; I've never seen people actually playing as one of these guys.  I've seen people playing with that new Macauly Culkin-looking broad from Terminator Dark Fate at least 2 or 3 times....but never those guys.

edit--haha check out that like/dislike ratio on the trailer 🤣

Edited by MillionX

Smash Ultimate is gonna make me cop the Xenoblade games. I bought the first one on Wii but never got around to playing it. Considered the 3DS version but never bought it. I can get the Switch Definitive Edition on Amazon for less than $45. I just may cop that.

It's VGM Friday again so you know what that means...

I love how this remix sounds like it came right out of a Konami arcade game. Seriously, it would fit right in there with Gradius II's soundtrack.