Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Super random but maybe you guys can help me out with finding a game. 

I remember years ago i saw a trailer / gameplay of a cool racing game that i can't seem to find or remember it's name at all. What i know about it

- it was arcade style , not a simulator

- similar in style to burnout

- tracks were insane, imagine jumping from building to building, everything was collapsing ,tsunami map, huge waves etc

- had stunts and the sorts

- basically the theme of the game was that all the world was breaking down,all tracks ( that i saw ) seem to have this sort of apocalyptic feel to it.

PS : It's not BLUR , Ridge Racer or Split / Second , Burnout , Fuel.

Edited by Skort
28 minutes ago, Skort said:

Found it.   

MotorStorm Apocalypse.

I forgot Motorstorm was a thing TBH.  When you were describing your game the first thing I thought about was split second and you had said it wasn't that.  That game used to be a kind of showcase for PS3 when it first started out then it just fizzled out.  Shame really.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

I forgot Motorstorm was a thing TBH.  When you were describing your game the first thing I thought about was split second and you had said it wasn't that.  That game used to be a kind of showcase for PS3 when it first started out then it just fizzled out.  Shame really.

Fist motorstorm was the first game I ever played with "real" mud deformation that would effect your car for rolling over it. 

Like was actually beneficial to drove in someone else's mud tracks cuz it was already packed down you went faster. 

Was a cool game. 

it may be heresy to some, I'm sure... but I preferred Kain over Raziel.  I was always wanting Blood Omen to become as popular and successful a franchise as it deserved to be, with Kain as the star.  I played the original over and over...even recording those cinematics back in the day.

haha I just remembered not really being a fan of how Vorador had a doggy face.

Diablo 3 quick update-- this week's challenge rift happened to finally be a Vyr's Archon-build wizard!  I don't recall seeing that as a challenge rift build before...but that was right up my alley since that's my usual jam anyway... I jumped on that immediately for an easy win, since I have a ton of playtime and experience with how to play that.

...heh, it was so hilarious, that day when I told my friend "yeah just do a challenge rift right away after making your seasonal character...you get huge amounts of gold and crafting materials"...and he couldn't do it....because he had never completed a Greater Rift on his own.  No one has even remembered that little requirement for years now since GRs are 99% of what D3 players (except him, obviously) do in the game for the past several years.  😆  ...and the dude is so damn lazy about shit like this... each time you mention something in a game that takes some bit of effort he's more than likely going to sound deflated like "...oh..." or "...aw man...".  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

it may be heresy to some, I'm sure... but I preferred Kain over Raziel.  I was always wanting Blood Omen to become as popular and successful a franchise as it deserved to be, with Kain as the star.  I played the original over and over...even recording those cinematics back in the day.

haha I just remembered not really being a fan of how Vorador had a doggy face.

Diablo 3 quick update-- this week's challenge rift happened to finally be a Vyr's Archon-build wizard!  I don't recall seeing that as a challenge rift build before...but that was right up my alley since that's my usual jam anyway... I jumped on that immediately for an easy win, since I have a ton of playtime and experience with how to play that.

...heh, it was so hilarious, that day when I told my friend "yeah just do a challenge rift right away after making your seasonal character...you get huge amounts of gold and crafting materials"...and he couldn't do it....because he had never completed a Greater Rift on his own.  No one has even remembered that little requirement for years now since GRs are 99% of what D3 players (except him, obviously) do in the game for the past several years.  😆  ...and the dude is so damn lazy about shit like this... each time you mention something in a game that takes some bit of effort he's more than likely going to sound deflated like "...oh..." or "...aw man...".  

Wow.

I don't play Sader, or Wiz.

But whenever they are the star of a Challenge Rift, I can still get it done on the first try.

And yes.

Kain >>>>>> _____.

Edited by JHDK
8 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Smash Ultimate is gonna make me cop the Xenoblade games. I bought the first one on Wii but never got around to playing it. Considered the 3DS version but never bought it. I can get the Switch Definitive Edition on Amazon for less than $45. I just may cop that.

Xenoblade games have been great.  I recommend em.  I personally like XBC the most followed pretty closely by XCX.  I haven't finished XC2 yet but there were some things they did to the combat I wasn't keen on even though I still enjoyed what I played of it in comparison to the other 2.  I'll finish it at some point.

7 hours ago, Skort said:

Super random but maybe you guys can help me out with finding a game. 

I remember years ago i saw a trailer / gameplay of a cool racing game that i can't seem to find or remember it's name at all. What i know about it

- it was arcade style , not a simulator

- similar in style to burnout

- tracks were insane, imagine jumping from building to building, everything was collapsing ,tsunami map, huge waves etc

- had stunts and the sorts

- basically the theme of the game was that all the world was breaking down,all tracks ( that i saw ) seem to have this sort of apocalyptic feel to it.

PS : It's not BLUR , Ridge Racer or Split / Second , Burnout , Fuel.

Split Seconds maybe?

Though the game doesnt have a Tsunami that i remember, but all the stages had destructible sequences.

Just now, Hecatom said:

Oof, personally, I really like both characters.

They both provided endless diatribe's and monologues that made me love them equally as characters. 

I love them both as well. Kain simply edges out for being more dastardly in his plans and because he is voiced by Simon Templeman one of my absolute favorite VOs who deserves ads loads more work in the field. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I love them both as well. Kain simply edges out for being more dastardly in his plans and because he is voiced by Simon Templeman one of my absolute favorite VOs who deserves ads loads more work in the field. 

In that regards i would agree that Kain is more cunning, while Raziel on the 1st 2 games is being played like a fool by everyone.But by the 3rd game he "matured" into a more assertive character.

I think thet the LoK has easily the best voice cast i heard in any video game past and present.

Every VA was top notch and greatly casted, even on the black sheep LoK BO2

Kain is older and wiser. Has the advantage of having looked at the future. Raziel is a newly born wraith with nothing but vengeance on his mind. Slowly he discovers Kain's hand in the corruption of Nosgoth, and comes to believe that he's the fated savior of Nosgoth (my eyes are open, Kain!). But he discovers both sides, humans and vampires, are corrupt. By the third game Raziel has a cynical view of everything and everyone. Though it seems he never could escape becoming the source of power that empowers the Soul Reaver, he did

become stronger than Kain. In the final battle of the original Kain said, "you nearly had me." In the third game the W

This franchise could really use a remake.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I'm at the final mission in Tomb Raider Shadow. I've been picking at it in between RL and Destiny. Gotta say I've enjoyed the new TR trilogy for mindless fun. As an archaeologist it's amusing seeing how fucking wrong they got shit with the Maya in Peru, but it's been enjoyable nonetheless. I really dig the Tomb challenges in this third installment. Puzzles were done really well. Combat still kinda sucks though.

I'll go back and finish Demon's Souls once I beat Tomb Raider, and then move on to playing the Dark Souls trilogy. I'm excited they're all at 60 fps on PS5. 

And I still really want to do a Lethal run in Ghost of Tsushima, and check out the multiplayer in that game if I can find some folks to play with.

I think my 8bit Do controllers are getting wonky. My L trigger button isn't working on my wired SNES pad and the directional pad is finicky, which lead to some miss drops on Tetris 99. My wiresless SNES pro pad doesn't wanna sync. I could just try resetting it but my wired pad seems to have more wrong with it. 

Bruh...I don't believe the Switch will last 5+ years

Only way I see that happening is if they attempt to pull a midgrade option a la New 3DS/XboneX/PS4 Pro and I'd really just rather they hold off on doing that and switch successor in 3 years instead of trying to stretch this out so far to the point that the 3rd party support that they've gotten this generation completely dries up.  But who knows?  I'm trying to use business logic and past trend logic on Ninty which as we know often doesn't apply.  They very well could some how try to stretch it 5 years some how and blow away expectations.

Edit:  I misunderstood.  What he is saying is actually in line with what he said previously that the switch was in the middle of its life cycle.  So its not trying to stretch it out 5 more years its more so talking about where the switch is currently and the average life span of Nintendo consoles.  So more than likely a new console will actually happen in 2-3 years.

Edited by Sonichuman

Fired up Cyber-Shadow for the first time in weeks. I stopped because I encountered the Meka Dragon, which is very much a case of That One Boss. I looked up a YouTube video on how to beat him and after several dozen more tries, I took him out. And when is the Cyber-Shadow OST?! 

Oh of the upgrades you can get is

Spoiler

Parry. You activate it exactly as you would the Parry mechanic in 3rd Strike.

Edited by RegH81

heh, just like Anthem last year... this Avengers game is the burning wreckage that keeps on giving.. I'm sure many youtubers are thankful for its pitiful existence.  

...and this long after release... the 2 characters they add are 2 archers....because if there's one thing people want in a superhero game.... give me those REGULAR HUMAN characters that can shoot specialty arrows like it's going out of style....can't get enough of that....along with dozens of robot enemies and what was it... 2 supervillains?

trying not to laugh GIF

...meanwhile in Ultimate Alliance 3, I got Dr. Doom, Morbius, Jean Grey, Ghost Rider, Venom, Loki, Cable, etc.....

edit-- I was thinking about going back to some Code Vein this weekend... the co-op in that was such a disaster.  I wonder who was the asshole behind that?  There is only 1 game I've played with co-op that is worse, and that was Fable 2.  It's one of those things that is so poorly designed, it leads you to wonder if the people behind it have even played a video game at any point in their lives before.  If I recall...

• There's a quick join kinda option but that was always greyed out (so...why put it there?)
  • So...you have to set up a password, then your friend searches for that password to join.
  • Healing/recovery items are cut in half in co-op sessions...so if in single-player you have 4 healing items; now you have 2.
  • If either one of you dies, the whole session ends.  Now you have to set up a password and have your friend search that again to start over.
  • Keep in mind this is also one of the many "Dark Souls wannabe" games out there, so the enemies and especially the bosses can be pretty unforgiving situations...there's some bosses where the margin for error appears to be nearly zero, because they do like +10,000,000% damage to you, while you and your buddy chip away at a health bar for centuries.
  • If either of you have passed an area already, this is not available to do in co-op...so you're also limited in what areas you can play. ("I already beat this stage yesterday...so even though you haven't done it yet, we can't play this one anymore."  Dumb.)

Really, I have no interest in ever playing the co-op aspect of this game again.  Pure, "opposite of fun" garbage.

Edited by MillionX
3 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Never heard of this title. One minute into this video essay 

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL OF MY LIFE?!?!?!?!

Alongside the Burnout series, Split Seconds is on my #1 spot favorite racing games of all time. 

The music, the tracks, the sound design, everything was made to inmerse you in the world of the game. 

It really is tragic how both Split Seconds and Blur were relegated to be footnotes on the gaming history, since both games were really fun and innovative by the time. 

I bought both games on the same week. 

Dunno how Disney and Activision were so dumb to cannibalize their sales that way. 

It reminds me how on 2019 Sega fucked up releasing their racing game in the same month of Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled. 

4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Alongside the Burnout series, Split Seconds is on my #1 spot favorite racing games of all time. 

The music, the tracks, the sound design, everything was made to inmerse you in the world of the game. 

That was impressive. Sucks that an update/sequel won't see the light of day. 

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

split/second deserved better

I was wondering how lost to time this game was and it's at least still available for purchase on steam.  I'm sure the online is dead but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dedicated group somewhere.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Why anyone would bother with Marvel Avengers when Ulimate Alliance 3 has a dream roster and is actually fun is beyond me.

Mahvel Ultimate Alliance 3's roster is just!!!

200.gif

Though one major issue I have is that Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Punisher and Wanda are trash in the game!!

😐

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I actually like the gameplay of Avengers over Ultimate Alliance 3. It's unfortune that design of the game was trash. 

Agreed on both points.

Hulk, Cap, and Thor's gameplay was outstanding!

Those three were the most fun to play as, Hulk especially!! 

They pulled some things from the Hulk Ultimate Destruction games and gave Hulk some new stuff that I would like to see in a future Ultimate Destruction game!! 

Edited by CDB2k20
5 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Why oh why was MUA3 not multiplatform?

Other than Spider-man/Miles , superhero games have been underwhelming in the PS4/X1 generation.

Nintendo footed the bill for development. Was the game even going to be a thing with the Switch? I didn't here anything about until it was announced for Switch.