Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

I'm stretching myself thin with all the games I'm playing. I just had to add Crash 4 to my playlist while I'm still going through Nioh 2 and Persona 5 Strikers. There's Monster Hunter Rise to buy this Friday.

Playing Crash 4 on the PS5. I haven't noticed any huge differences besides the faster load times and better lightning. Compared to past Crash games the levels are longer and there's a lot more crates. I don't understand why the fuck there's so many goddamn crates per level. There's like close to 200 crates per level and there's no need to have that many. It makes getting the gems for destroying them all a much bigger pain in the ass than it needs to be. The the crate that happens to be offscreen or cover up appears much more common in this game than it has been in the past. I'm kinda dreading the shit I'll have to do in order to get the colored gems. 

Flashback tapes are cool. They are a nice sub to the no death bonus stages from the old games and you get them early into a level. It's nice they flesh out the backstory of Crash and Coco with them. 

7 hours ago, iStu X said:

Johnny’s popularity has everything to do with the first movie. They wrote him as the audiences perspective but also made him a funny and charismatic dude you wanted to see kick ass. 

I though it was dumb as shit, and made me turn the TV off.

7 hours ago, iStu X said:

post-reboot Johnny was great too.

Like Finely aged milk 

I played some Saint's Row 4 with a friend the other day... heh, this game and franchise was truly some legendary shit man....

The odd thing though is how they kinda backed themselves into a corner in terms of design there... with all the superhuman abilities running wild in that game, you can't really get away with going back to "regular human" gameplay after that.  Each time in the game there's a part where your character is in "reality", it's a bit of a downer... ha, it's like the Matrix films when they have scenes in the "real world".  Give me the superpowers all day every day, man.  In the "Matrix" simulation in the game...you can run super-fast like the Flash (*so in the absence of a proper Flash game this fills that void) run up buildings, jump higher than skyscrapers, air-dash and glide....this is on top of having telekinesis, a super stomp, freeze blast and more I probably forgot.

Anyway, there was so much going on in this game that was awesome...so much we forgot...like the Genki gameshow event thing... then there was one side mission where some enemies showed up that look similar to T-800s... then we had an epic fight with this super-powered beast called a "Warden"...it generates a golden barrier around itself that is invincible to everything except the freeze blast power, so you have to freeze blast to knock the barrier off so you can even damage him.  Currently, my character is still sporting a very "Homelander from The Boys" look, which works perfectly for this game.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wondered what happened to her. I guess she retired from acting to train for the Iron Fist Tournament....wait that was Leelee SobieskI

Edit: @SonichumanWhy do they keep uploading PS5 footage of FFVII Remake in 1080p? It's pointless unless they upload in 4K. You aren't going to see any differences...except for the lighting.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Edit: @SonichumanWhy do they keep uploading PS5 footage of FFVII Remake in 1080p? It's pointless unless they upload in 4K. You aren't going to see any differences...except for the lighting.

I can't answer this lol.   There haven't really been that many true 4K gametrailers getting put on youtube until recently so my only guess is that Square hasn't gotten to a point to start putting their stuff up in 4K yet.  I mean it would make absolute sense that if you were trying to put up a trailer like they put up where you're highlighting the differences of the previous gen with the new gen version and one of the main things is the clarity of 4K that you would put forth the effort to get that put up so people can see it as a means to further sell people on it but they didn't.   To be completely honest I hadn't even thought about until you mentioned it but it makes perfect sense to do it. 

40 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Badly

For $13 a month, you can have unlimited access to a wide spectrum of Free to Play games,  with a handful of useless cosmetics and virtual items randomly meted out.

This, ON TOP OF a television/movie service featuring access to at least a dozen OTHER pay-to-view services that occasionally offer one or two shows you might be mildly interested in, folded into unwatchable dross that you are getting with your original $13 Prime sub.

Oh, and you get to pay an untaxed billionaire a monthly fee for the privilege of an estimated 2-Day delivery on useless goods packaged loaded and shipped by his literal slave labor force.

Fuck Prime.

Call it what it is - Unicron.

Edited by JHDK
19 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Yeah, reading what this service is, I am not impressed. Now, if they offered this as part of Prime itself, I may be in for it. 

I had Prime up until yesterday. I'd gotten a promotional deal where it was actually free for 6 months.

Nothing has been lost.

There was literally NOTHING worth watching on it, since The Boys Season 2 last September.

If I had the bad taste to actually WANT TO play a Free-to-Pay-to-Gatcha, I'd just do it through PS+ which I pay for (on sale) soley because the Cloud Save backup feature alone is worth it to me.

Edited by JHDK
10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I can't answer this lol.   There haven't really been that many true 4K gametrailers getting put on youtube until recently so my only guess is that Square hasn't gotten to a point to start putting their stuff up in 4K yet.  I mean it would make absolute sense that if you were trying to put up a trailer like they put up where you're highlighting the differences of the previous gen with the new gen version and one of the main things is the clarity of 4K that you would put forth the effort to get that put up so people can see it as a means to further sell people on it but they didn't.   To be completely honest I hadn't even thought about until you mentioned it but it makes perfect sense to do it. 

It reminds me of when the PS3 launched. My brother got one. It included a Blu-ray of Talledega Nights to help show the differences between DVD and Blu-ray. The launch PS3 came with composite cables....

4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

A collection of commercials.

While the footage is 90% from February's trailer, there are snippets of new stuff

20 seconds - A large humanoid creature with bat wings (Nitara?)

1:10 - A brief glimpse at Mileena's teeth

1:19 - Sonya's klassic pink fireball

That Sub vs Scorp fight bout to be lit AF.  I almost don't want to see anymore.

Edited by Sonichuman
10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea exactly why an all digital future can kiss my fucking asshole. 

Physical games got the same problems. Discs go out of print and when it does if that disc wears out, gets damaged or the hardware it needs get fucked then it's on the same boat. 

Given how games are these days having the disc will leave you with the base version of a game with no patches and DLC. They are just an unlock key for a download anyway.

16 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Physical games got the same problems. Discs go out of print and when it does if that disc wears out, gets damaged or the hardware it needs get fucked then it's on the same boat. 

Given how games are these days having the disc will leave you with the base version of a game with no patches and DLC. They are just an unlock key for a download anyway.

I just bought a 20 year old game so I don't agree with you even a little. When Sony stops supporting the digital store ALL of those copies are now unavailable. When it's physical I can still find it even when it has a small print. May be expensive but at least I can get it if I want it enough. The DLC  is only half a point because a lot of DLC gets released as a "Complete package" physical offer and the ones that don't are more reason why fuck Digital Only. 

I own Scott Pilgrim on PS3 and I can't get it back. 

So no it's not the same at all. Fuck Digital. 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I just bought a 20 year old game so I don't agree with you even a little. When Sony stops supporting the digital store ALL of those copies are now unavailable. When it's physical I can still find it even when it has a small print. May busy cut at least I can get it if I want it enough. The DLC  is only half a point because a lot of DLC gets released as a "Complete package" physical offer and the ones that don't are more reason why fuck Digital Only. 

I own Scott Pilgrim on PS3 and I can't get it back. 

So no it's not the same at all. Fuck Digital. 

As someone who had a discs stop functioning when there was nothing physical wrong with them it's something I keep in mind. My copy of Dead to Rights and Guilty Gear XX won't load no matter what I do. 

I haven't had that with my PS3 thankfully but the disc drive on it is fucked. It has a difficult time ejecting the discs. 

I don't see the benefits of physical even in situations like this. As long as the support servers are still up I should at least be able to buy previously purchased games even if the store goes down.

35 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

As someone who had a discs stop functioning when there was nothing physical wrong with them it's something I keep in mind. My copy of Dead to Rights and Guilty Gear XX won't load no matter what I do. 

I haven't had that with my PS3 thankfully but the disc drive on it is fucked. It has a difficult time ejecting the discs. 

I don't see the benefits of physical even in situations like this. As long as the support servers are still up I should at least be able to buy previously purchased games even if the store goes down.

I've lost more games to digital license fuckery then I ever have from disc rot so I'll still gamble on my physicals over my digitals that I don't actually own and they can revoke my licence whenever they like. 

You don't see the negatives because it doesn't seem you want to. The digital space is you making sure you own nothing you buy and they can revoke your ownership at any time for any reason. 

You say "I should be able to" but there are too many examples of that not being the case. Should be able has almost never equated to actually being able to. 

Oh and disc drive replacements are cheap in the long run, far cheaper then spending money on stuff you can't get back when they shut down the servers for the store. It's gone. Kias it goodbye you'll never get it back, not legally anyway. 

I haven't bought the re-releases of Scott Pilgrim because Ubisoft still owes me the copy they stole from me years ago. 

Edited by RSG3

Xbox live has been rebranded as Xbox Network

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-live-is-now-called-xbox-network

Fallout 76 Roadmap announced

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/fallout-76-2021-roadmap-announced

Sakurai still saying Kid Icurus Uprising Remake or Sequel would be difficult

Well I imagine it would if you both don't attempt and every time you're done with Smash Nintendo shows up at your doorstep with a giant bag of money to make the next one.  In all seriousness though, I can't stress enough that this game deserves another chance and more people need to be able to experience it.

Edited by Sonichuman
33 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I've lost more games to digital license fuckery then I ever have from disc rot so I'll still gamble on my physicals over my digitals that I don't actually own and they can revoke my licence whenever they like. 

You don't see the negatives because it doesn't seem you want to. The digital space is you making sure you own nothing you buy and they can revoke your ownership at any time for any reason. 

You say "I should be able to" but there are too many examples of that not being the case. Should be able has almost never equated to actually being able to. 

Oh and disc drive replacements are cheap in the long run, far cheaper then spending money on stuff you can't get back when they shut down the servers for the store. It's gone. Kias it goodbye you'll never get it back, not legally anyway. 

I haven't bought the re-releases of Scott Pilgrim because Ubisoft still owes me the copy they stole from me years ago. 

I don't see negatives because I don't think it's any more favorable than the downsides with digital. When something goes wrong with digital there's options I can take to fix it. Use a backup, a crack, downgrade, whatever. I get disc rot I'm fucked and need to get a new copy assuming that shit isn't rare and now I'm paying double the price to replace it. 

I'm fine with not going the legal route. Once Sony shuts down the stores of those consoles every bit of software on there that isn't available elsewhere will be abandonware. 

Yeah, once I have bought something I have no moral issues with backdoor methods either. There's also GOG, where you actually legally own stuff you buy and can copy as much as you choose. I won't go as far as saying there are no downsides, but I've been quite happy going more and more digital for the last several years. I feel much better getting things on PC where they're less likely to be abandoned (Rebirth titles, Hard Corps Uprising, a bunch of ps3/360/wii gen stuff comes to mind).

Edited by Camacho

The chat about physical and digital media brings up another example of why backwards compatibility on consoles- even if it's only digital- is a great thing moving forward. Ideally, if I buy something digitally on a Sony system, the infrastructure to DL it should be there on future Sony systems. It seems like Microsoft has done a better job at this than Nintendo or Sony. 

Well, I was having fun with Skyrim again just now....but of course the game goes out of it's way to "fix" that....got to the first fight with Alduin...it's not exactly an easy thing to hit him with the dragonrend shout, but even when he's grounded...oh look he takes NO DAMAGE.  I look it up and sure enough there's apparently a glitch (oh how surprising) where he's just straight up invincible sometimes.  Yeah, fuck that.

*it would be nice if vampire lord form was a real option in this fight, but that's not really a thing...because the transformation takes too damn long... he'll be able to fly again long before you are in monster form.

edit---haha whatever, I just remembered a certain super-cheap tactic that probably works, provided he doesn't have the invincibility glitch active.... I forgot if I had that power equipped or not but I'll check next time (*there's a "daily use" power where you can raise an unlimited # of dead creatures to fight as your allies.....heh, there is no limitation on the level of the creatures, btw....yep, that's every bit as ridiculous and exploitable as it sounds...)

edit 2-- man, this game is so old... even this "remaster" Special Edition is old at this point... my oldest achievement was from 2016. 😆  It's easy to remember that original release date--- 11.11.11. 

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Camacho said:

The chat about physical and digital media brings up another example of why backwards compatibility on consoles- even if it's only digital- is a great thing moving forward. Ideally, if I buy something digitally on a Sony system, the infrastructure to DL it should be there on future Sony systems. It seems like Microsoft has done a better job at this than Nintendo or Sony. 

Its one of the few things I can give probs to M$ for.  The way they've been handling BC has been really good. 

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Well, I was having fun with Skyrim again just now....but of course the game goes out of it's way to "fix" that....got to the first fight with Alduin...it's not exactly an easy thing to hit him with the dragonrend shout, but even when he's grounded...oh look he takes NO DAMAGE.  I look it up and sure enough there's apparently a glitch (oh how surprising) where he's just straight up invincible sometimes.  Yeah, fuck that.

*it would be nice if vampire lord form was a real option in this fight, but that's not really a thing...because the transformation takes too damn long... he'll be able to fly again long before you are in monster form.

edit---haha whatever, I just remembered a certain super-cheap tactic that probably works, provided he doesn't have the invincibility glitch active.... I forgot if I had that power equipped or not but I'll check next time (*there's a "daily use" power where you can raise an unlimited # of dead creatures to fight as your allies.....heh, there is no limitation on the level of the creatures, btw....yep, that's every bit as ridiculous and exploitable as it sounds...)

edit 2-- man, this game is so old... even this "remaster" Special Edition is old at this point... my oldest achievement was from 2016. 😆  It's easy to remember that original release date--- 11.11.11. 

I used think having 3 Auto-Saves and a Quick-Save was kind of dumb.

The further I progressed in Skyrim, I slowly began to realize that they are glitch management.

I just beat Aldiun for the second time, for the first time ever, two days ago.

In all the time the game has been out, I never seemed to meander down the main quest line for enough to "win" the game.

Now I need to go kill a certain Dragon Soul stealing DLC cuntbag.

Auriel's Bow crafted to Legendary level is so Godlike.

I run around in Legendary Nightingale Set, coupled with the above mentioned bow and Chillrend at Legendary too.

Between all that and restored human Serana decked out in Legendary Foresworn barbarian bikini-wear... good times.

Edited by JHDK

i7ojcir1kztoryg8cyyz.jpg

Report: Microsoft Wants To Buy Discord For "Over $10 Billion"

Bloomberg is reporting that Microsoft is one of several companies “in talks” to purchase chat and community platform Discord, for a price said to be in excess of $10 billion.

The report says Microsoft is “in the running”, but that talks are continuing and no deal has yet been made. It’s not clear who those other companies could be, though you wouldn’t need many hands to count the possibilities, and it’s said that both Epic and Amazon have had similar talks “in the past”.

Before you go assuming this is a done deal, the same report throws in word from one of their sources that, “Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself.”

https://kotaku.com/report-microsoft-wants-to-buy-discord-for-over-10-bi-1846533001