Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

19 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

i7ojcir1kztoryg8cyyz.jpg

Report: Microsoft Wants To Buy Discord For "Over $10 Billion"

Bloomberg is reporting that Microsoft is one of several companies “in talks” to purchase chat and community platform Discord, for a price said to be in excess of $10 billion.

The report says Microsoft is “in the running”, but that talks are continuing and no deal has yet been made. It’s not clear who those other companies could be, though you wouldn’t need many hands to count the possibilities, and it’s said that both Epic and Amazon have had similar talks “in the past”.

Before you go assuming this is a done deal, the same report throws in word from one of their sources that, “Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself.”

https://kotaku.com/report-microsoft-wants-to-buy-discord-for-over-10-bi-1846533001

Microsoft.

The endgame Setzer version of Innovation.

36 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

i7ojcir1kztoryg8cyyz.jpg

Report: Microsoft Wants To Buy Discord For "Over $10 Billion"

Bloomberg is reporting that Microsoft is one of several companies “in talks” to purchase chat and community platform Discord, for a price said to be in excess of $10 billion.

The report says Microsoft is “in the running”, but that talks are continuing and no deal has yet been made. It’s not clear who those other companies could be, though you wouldn’t need many hands to count the possibilities, and it’s said that both Epic and Amazon have had similar talks “in the past”.

Before you go assuming this is a done deal, the same report throws in word from one of their sources that, “Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself.”

https://kotaku.com/report-microsoft-wants-to-buy-discord-for-over-10-bi-1846533001

The hope of having Discord integration on PS5 can potentially go up in smoke.

20 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Another benefit of digital being widely available: https://www.destructoid.com/stories/resident-evil-7-biohazard-still-shipping-one-million-copies-a-year-623620.phtml

The game continues to earn years after release instead of gamestop and whatnot being the only ones making money on it.

This article is not in favor of your side by the way since its talking about shipped copies.

heh, I still have no mods installed on the xb1 version of Skyrim Special Edition.. so completing that "Elder Knowledge" part of the quest granted an achievement...sheeeittt, another one for the ms rewards then....

There were some truly great memories with this game though, despite the problems....like the one time I was fighting a necromancer... he came back in ghost/wraith form, and I re-animated his corpse simply because I could....so it was funny watching him do battle against his former body, which was now fighting for me.  haha, I remember killing, then re-animating the corpse of a giant to make him fight another giant.  The "Dovahkin" of Skyrim is so damn OP, man... I love it.  There's so many things you can do with all these abilities... being a vamp or werewolf is just a nice little roleplaying bonus on top.  

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dovahkiin

I am level 42 at this point, with several of the dragon shouts acquired (there's SO many of those to collect; I can freeze enemies, breathe fire now, there's one that drains life, one that slows time, I think...etc. etc...,I have that godlike vampire lord form (*with all the perks of course), and even my own "vampire's thrall".

*edit---on the PC version, I did have one mod installed though---"Better Vampires", but I didn't play the pc version that often though....it was interesting to see how much detail went into expanding how vampirism works in that mod....if I recall, I made it so sunlight actually causes damage like it's supposed to...not a huge amount but noticeable.... that mod also makes it so vampire hunters occasionally show up trying to kill you....heh, good times there.

Meanwhile on ESO, my character is about 20 at this point, vampirism level is still just 2, since it's taking ages to level, even with 2 vamp abilities slotted.  I do have a "Grand" exp scroll buff though, so I'll use that for whenever I get time to do more random quest/dungeon stuff.... that shit grants +150% exp!

Edited by MillionX

I actually started playing Skyrim again last week or so.  Its still fun and I like how random shit just happens.  I think the mods help with that though.  I have 52+ mods on that shit.  I'm a bit limited cause I just have the standard edition.  I just started up with that group in the first town you got to, where you can become a werewolf.  I never turned into one maybe I will this time.

I've been nothing but digital for over a decade now.  I see no reason to have a disc or the case anymore.  They just take up space and collect dust and I would never even look at most of them.  I dont care about takin' pictures and showing that shit off.  Digital is great.  Several hundred games stored on a device that fits in my pocket.  I can back'em up, share'em...do what I want with them. 

I think that with or without Farmville video games would have went the road of mtxs and lootboxes, but it is undeniable that it helped pave the way to this shitow we have now, specially when we consider that the devs of farmville were the major mobile developers at one point and they have all their games plagued with mtx and lootboxes, leading the way up to this point. 😕

Edited by Hecatom
22 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I swear I have been seeing new Nintendo switch rumors for two years now

Yeah I saw that rumor.  Switch pro rumors have been going for a minute without baring any fruit and there hasn't been anything to make me personally put the % chance of it happening over 50 yet.  Only thing that's interesting to me at the moment is the rumors persistency.   Normally the more persistent a rumor is the more likely that it's real but by the same token, over the course of the persistency something usually pops up that the rumor more likely but with this....we just hear talk about the rumor but there's no document leak, trademark filed, etc.  I will say this though...considering that supposedly we're somewhere just over the halfway mark of this system's life span, if it doesn't happen this year then I'm pretty sure the % chance of it happening drops considerably. 

Also I can't see how this Pro switch will output 4K unless it's through a new dock that houses the extra power needed to do it.

I still havent played a game with loot boxes or anything.  I played a bit of that Genshin Impact and I was told that has a gatcha system or some shit.

I'd like to get a switch.  Switch + Vita = ultimate handheld combo.  Just damn the switch cause its never going down in price, now they're saying a new one that will cost more.  fuck that and they're still working on how to hack the damn things. 

...hmm...yeah normally I've been trying to take off for games I am hyped for but I didn't think about that plan in time for Monster Hunter Rise... would've been nice to have the whole day set aside to dig into that.

ha, last time I took off though was a bad one though---the double-header of Gears 5 and Borderlands 3... both were terribly disappointing games at launch.  Gears 5 barely functioned properly aside from the story mode....and some people had problems with that too.

Best one was definitely that time I took off for Vampyr... I had a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off that week....went to sleep early just so I would be fully rested when the game officially released at 11 pm central time....yes yes, it was glorious.

Anyone played Mad Max?  I looks fun so I figured I'd try it.  I never seen anyone talk about it though.

Also, I saw this game on steam queue a few days ago so I decided to look at a gameplay video of it.  Looks pretty cool.  I'm generally not into anime style stuffs but the game looks fun and it doesn't seem to be turn based. 

33 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Anyone played Mad Max?  I looks fun so I figured I'd try it.  I never seen anyone talk about it though.

It's pretty cool but suffers from the same problems all of that developers games suffer from which is over recycling of activities. There isn't enough to do to justify the size and length of the games and it becomes repetitive and boring down the line. It's gameplay loop isn't sustainable for their games. They need more diverse activities to justify the world size and game length imo. 

But otherwise really solid and pretty fun till it's not. 

18 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

How the hell did I miss this ad?  This and the pinned comment have me gone!!

I had almost forgotten about this, what idiot thought that having Terry do this was good idea. "Hey let's have Terry slap the asses of an underage girl, his brother's fiance', and his own girlfriend." 

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I swear I have been seeing new Nintendo switch rumors for two years now

Nah it's been four years. I'm not kidding. They've been at this since the console launched in 2017.

Edit: @SonichumanIt's not going to output at Native 4K. It's going to output at 4K via DLSS. It's going to be an AI upscaled 1080p image. DLSS 2.0 is very good at this. You are going to need Digital Foundry analysis to show the differences between it and native 4K.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

They would be making that money if they printed copies to. Nintendo product makes money on physicals for years. Witcher 3 has made money for years physically continuing to sell and sell. 

They stop making money on physicals for those kinds of games because they stop making physicals for them. 

The logistics and costs of keeping something that isn't a mega seller on store shelves limits the number of titles this is feasible for. Things end up in the bargain bin for a reason- they aren't moving fast enough, and the stores want something that sells on the shelf space. It's the reason a lot of the sort of games you and I like have historically ended up expensive on the used market (at least prior to digital, which drops the used price thanks to deep discounts). Furthermore, there are huge costs to old school distribution that make a lot of games non starters. We get a lot of good niche/hardcore/old school/indie releases that we otherwise wouldn't thanks to digital distribution. How often did we see excellent titles get crushed commercially because they launched around something that dominated sales (GTA, Skyrim, any "bro games", etc)? If it flopped at the release window, the game was usually toast. 

All that said, I have long wondered why the industry didn't move to at least offering direct on demand printing once disc based media became the norm. Companies are letting a good, easy, low-risk source of revenue by letting their libraries sit abandoned/idle. Something like God Hand, which completely bombed on release, could have earned Capcom some nice earnings from word of mouth hype years after the fact. 

On Nintendo, they do an unprecedented job keeping most of their big titles evergreen, and no shortage of Nintendo console owners only seem interested in buying first party titles (seems less severe with the Switch than prior gens).

Anyways, I'm glad physical media still exists, and I would prefer to see it stick around for several reasons. But I'm pretty happy having made the switch myself. 

Edited by Camacho
4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This article is not in favor of your side by the way since its talking about shipped copies.

I think they're using the term "shipped" generically if you read the interview this information was pulled from. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-03-21-capcom-we-viewed-resident-evil-2-and-3-remakes-the-way-disney-does-with-remaking-its-old-movies

""Previously, we were very much about finding a window and giving space for the titles outside of a manic end-of-year to breathe and exist on their own terms. Day one sales are still super important for us and all our retail partners, but something that has become increasingly apparent over the past five, ten years is that the digitisation of the industry has extended the lifecycle of a product infinitely. It's no longer just about the sales in the first few weeks and months then fighting for a rapidly shrinking 'shelf space' with the hundreds of thousands of other releases."

..."The "digitisation of the industry" has come up more than a few times during Capcom's financial calls. The firm revealed strong results in January due to digital growth, and last year stated how 80% of its sales now come from digital, with an ambition to grow that to 90%. It's a goal that requires a lot of different approaches when looking over a region as varied as Europe."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-09-capcom-says-game-sales-are-80-percent-digital-and-rising

50 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Edit: @SonichumanIt's not going to output at Native 4K. It's going to output at 4K via DLSS. It's going to be an AI upscaled 1080p image. DLSS 2.0 is very good at this. You are going to need Digital Foundry analysis to show the differences between it and native 4K.

Gamexplain actually put up a vid talking about it

so... I'm thinking that game "Hatred" won't be coming to Switch?  I remembered it was supposedly going to be ported but haven't heard anything more about that in a long time... the only results online are from about a year ago at this point

https://screenrant.com/hatred-game-nintendo-switch-violence-controversy-why-release/#:~:text=The developer of the wildly controversial shooter game,Switch%2C in something of a first for Nintendo.

ha, maybe it will arrive right after Bayonetta 3, Elder Scrolls VI and that Cuphead DLC they've been talking about for the past 36 years. 🤣  I'll believe it when I see it.

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Interview with Uematsu and Sakaguchi regarding their latest JRPG collab that is coming to Apple Arcade, Fantasian

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-nobuo-uematsus-newest-soundtrack-made-final-fantasy-creator-hironobu-sakaguchi-cry

Uematsu believes this is the last game he'll be able to do a complete soundtrack for.

Apple Arcade.

That sucks.

I would have liked to have played it.

I beat that first black knight last night, finally. Then I beat the Taurus Demon on the bridge and made it pretty far into the Undead Parish. Got past the dragon (after getting roasted so I went underneath it) killed the big metal pig, and now I'm out of estus and have 7 humanity. I'm wondering if I should go back to the bonfire in the Undead Burg because I don't want to lose all that humanity and then risk dying trying to get back to it again. It seems like there should be another bonfire after coming so far.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be a constant dilemma in this game.

Edited by Chadouken
1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

I beat that first black knight last night, finally. Then I beat the Taurus Demon on the bridge and made it pretty far into the Undead Parish. Got past the dragon (after getting roasted so I went underneath it) killed the big metal pig, and now I'm out of estus and have 7 humanity. I'm wondering if I should go back to the bonfire in the Undead Burg because I don't want to lose all that humanity and then rush dying trying to get back to it again. It seems like there should be another bonfire after coming so far.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be a constant dilemma in this game.

Pro Tip: Search the bridge with the dragon better. 

14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Oh word? Can you get past his fire?

Spoiler 

Spoiler

You can kill that Dragon actually. You never need to tho. So to the spoiler. There are stairs halfway across the bridge that lead to the inside of the bridge. There is a ladder down there to the Undead Berg Bonfire Shortcut. There is also a Bonfire juuuuust past the Dragon. 

If you hide in one of the alcove in the middle of the bridge the Dragon will jump down. You can then run past him and sit at the bonfire or lower the Gate or whatever. In fact if you got to the Iron Boar then you have already gone past the second Bonfire. Backtrack from where you taught the Boar. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm having problems with my Dual Shock 4 again! The upper left diagonal on my analog stick has been failing to register lately. It has gotten me killed when I play Nioh and it's been fucking me up when playing P5A. This is the same issue I had with my first DS4. This is the fourth fucking DS4 is shit the bed. I'm switching over to my Switch Pro controller for my PC gaming. 

Just now, RSG3 said:

There are stairs halfway across the bridge that lead to the inside of the bridge. There is a ladder down there to the Undead Berg Bonfire Shortcut. There is also a Bonfire juuuuust past the Dragon. 

I found that shortcut, but I definitely missed going across the bridge past the dragon. I'll have to try it tonight. Thanks man.

back to Vampyr on Switch just now... I'm reminded of exactly how critical the difference in exp, which was a great design choice, imo--- fighting some random "Skal" enemies (feral, ugly vamps) just now, I noticed it was only 10 points when I kill one of those dudes....in contrast, a "low" point value for feeding on a citizen might be something like 500 exp (e.g.--just met Thomas Elwood, a patient at Pembroke hospital; an early-game character...it only takes level 1 mesmerize to feed on him)! ..brilliant since it makes it that much more tempting to start eating those citizens for power.

I've started this session off right this time with that shadow power as an attack option...so far I have that, the claws attack and coagulation which is another big deal in combat....coagulation even paralyzes boss characters; the shit is an amazing advantage.

Edited by MillionX

@MillionXI assume you're looking at the next season of D3 and seeing that your follower is now getting good buffs where they can equip their own gear and:

We're introducing a new Follower feature into Diablo III called Emanate, which allows the player to gain the intended effect of certain Legendary Powers and Set Bonuses when equipped on the hired Follower. 

more stacking of bonuses! 

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm having problems with my Dual Shock 4 again! The upper left diagonal on my analog stick has been failing to register lately. It has gotten me killed when I play Nioh and it's been fucking me up when playing P5A. This is the same issue I had with my first DS4. This is the fourth fucking DS4 is shit the bed. I'm switching over to my Switch Pro controller for my PC gaming. 

I really like the feel of the DS4, but they don't hold up well. My second one (had to send my first PS4 back almost immediately due to it overheating) wouldn't sync with the console despite trying everything I could find online. My third one started throwing random L2 inputs- tried taking it apart and cleaning it, didn't help. 4th one is still doing ok so far. The battery life isn't what a reasonable person would call good in them either. 

5 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

@MillionXI assume you're looking at the next season of D3 and seeing that your follower is now getting good buffs where they can equip their own gear and:

We're introducing a new Follower feature into Diablo III called Emanate, which allows the player to gain the intended effect of certain Legendary Powers and Set Bonuses when equipped on the hired Follower. 

more stacking of bonuses! 

Yeah, though I've been more hyped about the changes to the Firebird and Rathma sets... I haven't thought much about exactly what my follower setup will be... I think they can have the nemesis bracers (the thing that makes all pylons spawn champion/elite enemies) so I may roll with that... or that other legendary power that doubles the effect time of pylons.

of course a lot of the D3 fanbase continues to be super picky about everything as usual--- Firebird set with the new changes was outright RIDICULOUS on PTR from what I've seen, so naturally Blizzard toned that shit down a bit, but a lot are crying that it was too much of a nerf, like the set is back to being trash... though the new version is still looking like it is drastically better than what it once was...both in effectiveness and how easy it is to play now.  Previously, no one liked it because you had to use multiple fire skills (*thus it was commonly described as "too clunky" gameplay-wise) to get a bonus that was still weak compared to other sets in the game.  I'm still looking forward to it.  

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Lantis said:

The right analog stick of my DS4 kinda drifts sometimes. Which is not really a problem since the right analog stick mostly handles camera related stuff, but still kinda annoying.

I wish I could use my other DS4 but the L1/L2 buttons popped off during moving and I don't know of any places that can fix that.

My custom DS4 got analog drift. It doesn't bother me too much as I use it for fighters but it's a shit problem to have when I paid so much for it. 

My second DS4 had issues with the R1/R2 buttons. One of the parts of my R1 snapped off and had a permanent wobble and I can't press R2 without it jamming. That's on top of the membrane on the d-pad having tears on the button molds giving it a mushy feel. 

Try to find a fucked controller and use it as a donor to get the parts you need out of it.

9 hours ago, MillionX said:

back to Vampyr on Switch just now... I'm reminded of exactly how critical the difference in exp, which was a great design choice, imo--- fighting some random "Skal" enemies (feral, ugly vamps) just now, I noticed it was only 10 points when I kill one of those dudes....in contrast, a "low" point value for feeding on a citizen might be something like 500 exp (e.g.--just met Thomas Elwood, a patient at Pembroke hospital; an early-game character...it only takes level 1 mesmerize to feed on him)! ..brilliant since it makes it that much more tempting to start eating those citizens for power.

I've started this session off right this time with that shadow power as an attack option...so far I have that, the claws attack and coagulation which is another big deal in combat....coagulation even paralyzes boss characters; the shit is an amazing advantage.

I still need to do a run where I kill everyone and one where I kill no one. Might pick that game back up after I finish Dark Souls

Speaking of Souls/From today os Bloodborne's 6th birthday! 🎉