Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

100% confirm

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

got any games you need to nab from those stores you better do it soon.

Well, i wouldnt be surprised if this actually hurts them in a big way.

This is one of the most stupid decisions they have made so far, specially when the competition keeps all the games and are actually working on ways for players to access those old games with their new consoles.

Sony deserves to hold a massive L this gen for all the stupid shit they keep doing.

I am not buying a PS5 this gen since they are showing me that my library is at risk with those fuckers.

Edited by Hecatom
42 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Shit like this further vindicates me on not trusting these companies, always buy physical copies if games/movies IF possible 

The loss of all of my PS3 digital library was a huge blow to my faith in Sony's ecosystem.

If they pull that shit again, I am going pure Nintendo+PC.

Seriously- fuck that shit.

I had a huge, gorgeous PS3 digital library.

But here's the thing - NONE of them were attainable as physical copies. They were all of them PSN games. The PS3 had a really, REALLY good selection of those.

So how do you protect against that, barring straight up not buying a bunch of killer games and missing out because of it? I count it a blessing that the PS4 gen had maybe 5 worthwhile digital only games.

Edited by JHDK

I need games that gravitate towards being hipster like, which will suffice at this point. To be honest, I've played them all in the context that they are very relating to. 

That's generally why I don't bother much with games. Old school games seemed to be what I lean toward. I wish it wasn't that way.

45 minutes ago, JHDK said:

The loss of all of my PS3 digital library was a huge blow to my faith in Sony's ecosystem.

But here's the thing - NONE of them were attainable as physical copies. They were all of them PSN games. The PS3 had a really, REALLY good selection of those.

So how do you protect against that, barring straight up not buying a bunch of killer games and missing out because of it? I count it a blessing that the PS4 gen had maybe 5 worthwhile digital only games.

Just throwing this out there, Ninty isn't really any dif when it comes to digital and actually in some ways they're worse in this boat.  The only one of the big 3 that has put forth the most effort to essentially keep most of their games available as they've been upgrading has been M$. 

Personally I've just come to accept digital store fronts for older consoles shutting down as an eventuality unless companies prepare for it in the future with M$ being the outlier because of some combination of deep pockets, their systems probably being far closer to computers, and just them knowing more about how to keep an ecosystem together even if they have multiple platforms connected to it because of their background.  I'm pretty sure Sony has only just started thinking in terms of stuff like this which is why they've made it so a majority of the digital games for PS4 are BC with PS5.  I'd be surprised if they didn't continue down this route in the future in some way but I don't expect them to keep the digital storefronts for those past systems up.  I'm not going to pretend like I'm tech savvy on how all that stuff connects but I'm pretty sure that they're probably downsizing servers or something for those platforms and  have probably have been keeping an eye on traffic and sales for those platforms to the point that they believe whatever resources are being used to keep those storefronts up could be better served elsewhere.

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

Why did you lose all your games?  If you own the game you'll still be able to download them.  You just wont be able to buy anything.

If you've got the right model PS3 it can be hacked with ease.  Some people dont like to go that route though.  But its there.

10 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Why did you lose all your games?  If you own the game you'll still be able to download them.  You just wont be able to buy anything.

If you've got the right model PS3 it can be hacked with ease.  Some people dont like to go that route though.  But its there.

Sometimes systems die.

And I am not disposed to buying anything used. Ever. It is a thing.

Things that are still on those devices still work, according to the wording on the site... but this doesn't give the average consumer any faith in anything for the future on Sony systems, since you know it will be shut down at some point in the future each time, guaranteed.  This seemingly inevitable of future of digital-only systems is a depressing one, imo.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So why are you upset with Sony?  Its you that chooses not to have your games.

I've always assumed the store would go away on PS3 and Vita and shit.  It probably cost too much to keep the store up and running with probably very low sales.  They also want to "encourage" people to move on to their newer systems.

It is pretty obvious why.

Sony didn't come through with backward compatibility for PS3 games on the PS4.

Which is unmitigated bullshit, especially considering they were purely digital games.

And then the cocksuckers OFFERED THE EXACT SAME GAMES ON PS4...

...to purchase again, for full price.

Fuck that shit.

6 hours ago, MillionX said:

Things that are still on those devices still work, according to the wording on the site... but this doesn't give the average consumer any faith in anything for the future on Sony systems, since you know it will be shut down at some point in the future each time, guaranteed.  This seemingly inevitable of future of digital-only systems is a depressing one, imo.

You just need to get with the times old man.  Digital is the future.  My entire library is digital and no one can take it from me.  I can share it with people too.

CD Projekt has scooped up a studio in Vancouver and has dubbed it CD Projekt Vancouver

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/cd-projekt-acquires-digital-scapes-studios

TGS will be online only again this year

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/tokyo-game-show-will-be-an-online-only-event-again-in-2021

Man I hope we reach herd immunity before magfest rolls around.

MK movie delayed

Pushed to April 23rd.

Guilty Gear Strive early access now includes all characters and modes

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/guilty-gear-strive-early-access-now-includes-all-modes-and-characters

Edited by Sonichuman

Vids

Spoiler

Edit:

Godstrike looks kind of interesting...it's like a twinstick bullethellish shmup?  Feel like that's the best way I can describe it.

I'm hoping that once Mario's anniversary is over Ninty will start talking more about their plans for Zelda.  I can hold out for 2 months but I'd rather have at least something to nibble on while I wait.

Edited by Sonichuman
8 hours ago, JHDK said:

Outriders releases in under 48 hours.

And still not a single review.

Thus I wait until after release.

Fuck this shitty "leap of faith" Day 1 Edition shit.

Anything without a review at least 5 days out, is mad suspect.

Granted, is for the demo, but it kind of counts

It is also part of Gamepass, so you can try it if you have that

Edited by Hecatom

Well, sometimes the MS Rewards system does have its faults... so I pre-ordered Outriders, and the system just doesn't recognize I did that apparently, so no 6000 points for me.  Fortunately it's easy to earn these rewards points anyway, but that's some bullshit man... and it's not even the first time the system just fails to reward points when I did what was required to get that.

Anyway, tonight's the night, folks.... I just hate that it is yet another game that should not have to be online but they made it like that anyway.  Heh, it's still funny that a friend I know didn't want to believe me when I told him it's another online-only thing (*he fell for the hype when they clarified "it isn't a live-service game..you can play solo if you want."... that company rep cleverly dodged the question there, and my friend fell for that, obviously.)

...still, if I had my way... the ONLY games that would be online-only would be mmorpgs.

20 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I just hate that it is yet another game that should not have to be online but they made it like that anyway. 

I agree, there zero reason to make a single player game online only.
I know why they did it, it's a form of DRM. But it only hurts the consumer not the pirates, who just find a way around it anyways.

Unless the game runs on the cloud, which would be some grade A bullshit. 

Only games that should require online connectivity are MMOs, as that's with in the nature of the game. 

Pixel art Metroidvania game The Skylia Prophecy coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on April 23

Currently available for PC.

Publisher and developer 7 Raven Studios, and developer Ezekiel Rage will release pixel art Metroidvania game The Skylia Prophecy for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch on April 23, the companies announced. Nintendo eShop and Microsoft pre-orders will begin on April 16.

The Skylia Prophecy first launched for PC via Steam in November 2020.

About

The Skylia Prophecy is a story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world with more than a dozen locations. Lead Mirenia in a quest to vanquish the evil she unleashed and upgrade her with a level and magic system.

The Skylia Prophecy features three difficulty levels, multi-language, and vibration support. Battle hordes of monsters as you fight against powerful bosses in ancient dungeons and solve exploration-based riddles.

Key Features

• Story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world.
  • Upgrade Mirenia with a level and magic system.
  • Over a dozen different locations.
  • Beautiful pixel art.
  • Story-driven exploration.
  • Atmospheric music.
  • Challenging and complex boss battles.
  • Three different difficulty settings.
  • Enabled vibration.
  • Multiple languages.

Skylia-Prophecy_03-31-21.jpg

On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, Faltimar the Dark said:

Is Rise the same kinda of game as the last one?  Like, hub world, get mission, go kill boss then back to hub world?

Pretty much, yes.

Though its a mix of Iceborne and the old game style.

It has the QoL changes of Iceborne with some improvements.

And the old game mission structure, as single player and multiplayer quests are split up between hub worlds.

Check out the forum's Monster Hunter thread here: 

ha, so it actually worked... I had doubts of what a friend was saying about playing the game early---but I guess that silly shit actually works---basically, he changed the time on his xbox 1 so the full Outriders game would unlock early.  The dude is actually playing that shit right now according to his status. 🤣  Amazing that some simple bullshit like that works.

wow man...so I guess MS doesn't really care enough to stop something like that....then again, I don't think that's violating any terms of service...?  It's still people who paid for the game, you're just changing the time so you can play earlier than intended...

Edited by MillionX
4 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ha, so it actually worked... I had doubts of what a friend was saying about playing the game early---but I guess that silly shit actually works---basically, he changed the time on his xbox 1 so the full Outriders game would unlock early.  The dude is actually playing that shit right now according to his status. 🤣  Amazing that some simple bullshit like that works.

He could get banned for that kinda stuff.  Better be careful.

3 hours ago, CDB2k20 said:

Pretty much, yes.

Though its a mix of Iceborne and the old game style.

It has the QoL changes of Iceborne with some improvements.

And the old game mission structure, as single player and multiplayer quests are split up between hub worlds.

Check out the forum's Monster Hunter thread here: 

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping maybe it was different.  I just cant get into those kind of games.  I tried Iceborne though.  I'll give almost any game a try.

I'm addicted to Loop Hero right now.  I really thought the game would be boring its definitely ugly.  But its not boring.  I want my little guy to get further and I want a cool village/world thing. 

I like games now that I can play anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour and just kinda put down any time in between there an not lose progress.  Like pick up wear I left off or in some games the run is just over in that amount of time.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, Sonichuman said:

100% confirm

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

got any games you need to nab from those stores you better do it soon.

Ps3 was the first sony console that digital was a real big part of, so it makes sense this would be a bit of a blow to people, but you can still download those games you bought. 

I have stacks of old games for older consoles that I kept either because I wanted to collect them, because I didn't think I'd get more than a buck or two selling them, or because I thought I might play them again, but if I'm being honest,  I probably won't unless through emulation or because they've ported it to a newer console. There are so many new games coming out, I would honestly be surprised if people actually were playing those older games anyway.