Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

On 4/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, Chadouken said:

We You is the stupidest fucking name for a console.  No wonder that shit didn't sell.

It is pronounced "Whee, Ewe!"

It is not stupid.

It merely requires a paradoxically refined lack of culture to appreciate it.

It's like "Baa, Hum Bug" like that, but slightly more simplistic.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, Chadouken said:

We You is the stupidest fucking name for a console.  No wonder that shit didn't sell.

Playstation is the most popular console family in gaming history and it sounds like the name of the Fisher Price play set for a toddler. Names mean next to nothing.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Playstation is the most popular console family in gaming history and it sounds like the name of the Fisher Price play set for toddler. Names mean next to nothing.

The worst part about the Wii U's naming, is that the Sheeple never understood it was Nintendo's attempt to... integrate them.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Playstation is the most popular console family in gaming history and it sounds like the name of the Fisher Price play set for a toddler. Names mean next to nothing.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to talk shit. The biggest misstep with the Wii U's name is that it sounds so much like Wii people were confused and thought it was an add-on. I actually love my Wii U, stupid name and all. 

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Yeah I know, I just wanted to talk shit. The biggest misstep with the Wii U's name is that it sounds so much like Wii people were confused and thought it was an add-on. I actually love my Wii U, stupid name and all. 

One of the Wii U's biggest issues was marketing. Nintendo's portables had stupid and convoluted naming schemes and sold like hot cakes. They are were actually marketed well though.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

ah, well then.. so the nerf already happened then.  Yeah I was playing Outriders yesterday with a friend and things did indeed seem way tougher for my Trickster now....died a LOT more, like I was someone just playing the game for the first time at that moment.  Later on in solo play I went on to finish the main story though....heh, only on World Tier 2 😆  I had absolutely no chance against the last boss on anything higher than that.... well one time I made it past the first phase of the fight on 3, seemingly by luck.  Anyway, I'm up to level 28 now, with at least 1 good level 30 shotgun that is a monster....so now I'm into doing "expeditions".

y'know, another little detail of this game I like--- when you shoot from the hip with a pistol, I noticed the character shoots like in one of those "quick-draw cowboy" poses from way back in the wild west days.  haha I've been trying to use pistols "from the hip" like that ever since, just for that little bit of style.

Edited by MillionX
6 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Yeah, fuckin' Wii U just kinda snuck in on people cause of terrible marketing and they didn't know what it was.  Most thought it was an add-on for the Wii so they didn't bother to learn more about it. 

I had a Wii U for a bit.  It was pretty cool.

I still have my Wii U. Haven't turned it on a while. I enjoyed the system. It had several good games and I liked the ability to play games on the Gamepad while being able to watch TV. I like the ability to play my Wii games and use all my Wii accessories as well.

18 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Sony wants to bring 'popular' PlayStation game franchises to phones

The company is hiring someone to lead its mobile gaming push.

• A job listing for a Head of Mobile role at PlayStation Studios has been found online.
  • Candidates will be asked to lead the studio's expansion from console and PC to mobile and live services.
  • The listing indicates that Sony is looking at bringing its most popular franchises to mobile.

Eurogamer has noticed that Sony is hiring an executive at PlayStation Studios that would focus on bringing PlayStation's "most popular franchises" to mobile. While the listing unsurprisingly doesn't mention titles or timeframes, the new Head of Mobile would develop a three- to five-year strategy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-10-sony-plots-big-playstation-push-into-mobile-gaming

This makes sense considering how big mobile gaming is in Asia and that phones are more powerful than some consoles at this point. 

Plus, there was a GoW Java game back in the day. So Sony's already already there 

13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Playstation is the most popular console family in gaming history and it sounds like the name of the Fisher Price play set for a toddler.

Lol I never even thought of that but it's true. But at least you can imagine a gaming console with PlayStation. Wii U sounds like random pronouns thrown together 😂

I actually played my Wii U way more than I've played my Switch. I loved the gamepad controller for some reason. It was just super comfortable in my hands. And I preferred how you play Mario Maker on Wii U way better than Switch. Being able to edit levels in your hand and then immediately play test them on the big screen was super convenient, and not being able to do that on Switch was a bummer for me.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't mean to quote you twice, man. Didn't realize I had already replied last night. My brain doesn't seem to work as good with the lack of sleep these days lol.

Edited by Chadouken
4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

This makes sense considering how big mobile gaming is in Asia and that phones are more powerful than some consoles at this point. 

Plus, there was a GoW Java game back in the day. So Sony's already already there 

They should use it to boost their own mobile division. I bet the mainstream public doesn't know the xperia line of phones still exist.

7 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Lol I never even thought of that but it's true. But at least you can imagine a gaming console with PlayStation. Wii U sounds like random pronouns thrown together 😂

When I was in school and Sony announced the Playstation, everyone made fun of it. "What kind of name is Playstation!?" IIRC SCEA wanted to call it the PSX in North America.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

extra

videogamedunkey - Balan Wonderworld

wow at this game...I know some of this stuff is out of context but...it can't all be lol.

Serious question:

Is this game's name a Cacpcom moment?

Like, is it meant to be Banal Wonderland?

Edited by JHDK

This is a running gag, btw.

This is a joke that is based in reiteration.

This is a Chvrches number.

...pick one.

It is a Wonderland, hold the Alice.

Unless Mila.

Then it is surprisingly apt.

But with more tits.

And by that I mean a single coder.

Not his Facebook status.

The 0 friends part.

The coder plays MK against himself.

Game loses. Banality.

Edited by JHDK
52 minutes ago, iStu X said:

squeenix should be absolutely fucking embarrassed by this game. 

I don't know if Squeenix should be embarrased but Yuji Naka and Squeenix should have done something to at least put this game on hold after the feed back it got.  I bet SE probably saw the stuff and went to his office and was like 'maaaan...you sure you don't wanna work on this a bit more?'  "NO...IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT IS"  "aaaaiigght man jeeez!"  This is more going to fall on Naka and his studio more than Squeenix than anything though.  This isn't a big game for them and they probably just saw some potential in it and it fell through.   Naka is the one who's going to take the brunt of the negativity for this moving forward.

41 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Since Arkham Origins is likely never going to be rereleased on console, I grabbed it for $5 via HumbleBundle.

I still don't understand why there was so much hate on this game. Since the same studio is doing Gotham Knights (WB Montreal), I don't have a lot of worries that it'll at least be decent. 

Origins had some interesting ideas in it and I enjoyed what I played of it.  It's not bad by any stretch imo.  I feel like the game is just put to the side mostly because it wasn't deved by Rocksteady.  Maybe at some point WB will remaster it and put out a quadrilogy collection in 4K.  There's actually a good number of people out there that do enjoy Origins and some will put it over some of Rocksteady's efforts.

49 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Origins had some interesting ideas in it and I enjoyed what I played of it.  It's not bad by any stretch imo.  I feel like the game is just put to the side mostly because it wasn't deved by Rocksteady.  Maybe at some point WB will remaster it and put out a quadrilogy collection in 4K.  There's actually a good number of people out there that do enjoy Origins and some will put it over some of Rocksteady's efforts.

Man I remember when the game came out, the reviews for it spit pure venom. Like people where posses the game even existed lol. 

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

There's actually a good number of people out there that do enjoy Origins and some will put it over some of Rocksteady's efforts.

I hope so. The Boss battles in the game were honestly the best in the franchise and certainly it was better than what was had in Arkham Knight. The fact that you fight Deathstroke in a tank is laughable at best, lazy at worst. 

51 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Man I remember when the game came out, the reviews for it spit pure venom. Like people where posses the game even existed lol. 

That's what got me. I remember finishing it and was thinking if these people played the same game that I did. Arkham City is the best game overall, but Origins is a damn close second. 

Started up another playthrough of RE4 to (weirdly) get me ready for RE8 dropping next month. 

I figured they're both in castles or whatever, so close enough. 

I'll also add that I'm still really interested why Ethan is in RE8 at all, let alone the protag. Either way, game looks like it's gonna be a banger