Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Everything about that Balan game looks so outrageously strange to me... like someone had the most bizarre acid-trip ever....and then decided to make that into a videogame.  I consider the Super Mario series to be quite a strange "possibly drug inspired" game as well, but of course that is beloved by most gamers and will forever be regarded as a classic.  Balan takes it to a whole new level of "what the hell is going on here?!  What is this?" 😆

OUTRIDERS---

I got sooo much quality time in over the weekend...like probably around 20-ish hours total just from Saturday and Sunday!  Yeah...it's that addictive for me... I finished the story mode and I'm well on my way into the Expedition stuff now...and that stuff is insane, even on the "low" difficulty levels....but the payout is amazing... at the end you get a "drop pod" (heh, effectively a big "end of quest" treasure box) that explodes loot all over the place.  At the max of level 30 I'm getting mostly blue and purple rarity stuff at this point... so far the highest stuff I'm getting is level 32 and 33 gear.  I played with a friend and surprisingly we were able to get through a couple of areas on World Tier 6 so far... mostly thanks to some incredible legendary items, thanks to him finishing a certain sidequest/puzzle thing I wasn't even aware of.... I got a lv. 31 legendary assault rifle called "VooDoo" something...this thing is an absolute monster....afflicting enemies with "Vulnerable" status and another bonus makes it so enemies share a % of the damage they're taking from shots with that weapon....and it fires toxic rounds, if I recall....with a low reload speed, something like 600 RPM and 40 in the clip (but 60 since I havea  skill tree node that boosts clips by 50%)

Edited by MillionX
19 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

They should use it to boost their own mobile division. I bet the mainstream public doesn't know the xperia line of phones still exist.

I was looking at one of those Xperia phones last year, they're pretty hot-rodded specs wise for the money and Tbh I thought Sony got out of the mobile phone business awhile ago. But if they had some good exclusives and the phones had physical buttons (like a slide out controller) those could be the choice for people who want to game on mobile. 

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I was looking at one of those Xperia phones last year, they're pretty hot-rodded specs wise for the money and Tbh I thought Sony got out of the mobile phone business awhile ago. But if they had some good exclusives and the phones had physical buttons (like a slide out controller) those could be the choice for people who want to game on mobile. 

If you look at phones designed for mobile gaming in mind you will not find buttons. 

The common elements of a gaming phone is having the top specs available, having side USB port for charging, beefy battery, touch triggers on the bezel, high refresh screens, custom OS that allows to customize how you play the games like setting custom buttons and binding, overclocking, etc and ugly aesthetics.

Physical buttons will be an optional accessory like what Asus provides for it's phone.

49 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

If you look at phones designed for mobile gaming in mind you will not find buttons. 

The common elements of a gaming phone is having the top specs available, having side USB port for charging, beefy battery, touch triggers on the bezel, high refresh screens, custom OS that allows to customize how you play the games like setting custom buttons and binding, overclocking, etc and ugly aesthetics.

Physical buttons will be an optional accessory like what Asus provides for it's phone.

Physical buttons are never optional for gaming, imo.

While I fully agree with its being a detachable accessory, due to problems inherent to physical wear and tear being a huge negative for a $1,000+ item, nonetheless it ought to be seen as mandatory, and included in the box.

16 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Physical buttons are never optional for gaming, imo.

While I fully agree with its being a detachable accessory, due to problems inherent to physical wear and tear being a huge negative for a $1,000+ item, nonetheless it ought to be seen as mandatory, and included in the box.

More mobile games will need to have support for physical accessories for it to be mandatory. A lot of mobile games don't really need it neither so it being a pack in accessory is hard to justify. 

39 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

The ROG phone seems neat BUUUUUUT the backside will be pointless if I throw on a case and attach to that case some magnetic accessories. Sony's current Xperia line is amazing and great for pics movies and some games...problem is the phones are price wise a bit much but I can see why.

I'm sure whatever cases designed for the ROG phone will take the back screen into account. Have you seen cases for foldable phones? They wouldn't obscure the unique features of the phones.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

More mobile games will need to have support for physical accessories for it to be mandatory. A lot of mobile games don't really need it neither so it being a pack in accessory is hard to justify. 

Fuck mobile games.

C'mon - let's  be real, here.

Emulation is where it is at on mobile phones.

As such, physical buttons are the only real way to go.

45 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

You should consider a Galaxy Note, being you're a musician and all.

Get it? Note?

It's because music has notes!

Ok, I feel stupid about that one, and I should. Becoming a dad really makes your sense of humor take a huge nosedive.

So does mobile gaming.

I.Q. too, apparently.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Sure, but having some kind of control scheme or a case that is also a bluetooth controller is what would sweeten the deal unless they really are just marketing $1500 phones at kids who play Fortnite, which seems kind of asinine. Anyone who's serious about gaming is going to want physical buttons, at least for some games. That's why gaming phones are kind of a joke (well not the only reason, but still..)

59 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

You should consider a Galaxy Note, being you're a musician and all.

Get it? Note?

It's because music has notes!

Ok, I feel stupid about that one, and I should. Becoming a dad really makes your sense of humor take a huge nosedive.

😂 ACtually I got a Note 20 Ultra for Christmas and it's actually an awesome phone for gaming, especially since you can use Dex Mode and play games on a monitor with it. I actually use it to play Bloodborne at my studio via Remote play since I got a USB-C dock that has an ethernet port on it. Outside of that, it's an amazing phone and I'll probably legit hang onto this one until it dies because I really don't know what else I would need in a phone that it doesn't already do.

15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Sure, but having some kind of control scheme or a case that is also a bluetooth controller is what would sweeten the deal unless they really are just marketing $1500 phones at kids who play Fortnite, which seems kind of asinine. Anyone who's serious about gaming is going to want physical buttons, at least for some games. That's why gaming phones are kind of a joke (well not the only reason, but still..)

Those phones ain't for kids into Fortnite. It's for people who do a lot of mobile gaming. Enough to be serious about it.

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Those phones ain't for kids into Fortnite. It's for people who do a lot of mobile gaming. Enough to be serious about it.

I've done a lot of mobile gaming, but most games that I've seen don't need that kind of horsepower to run those games, unless there are some I'm unaware of. If anything, they seem more suited to emulation especially.

Edited by DoctaMario
4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I've done a lot of mobile gaming, but most games that I've seen don't need that kind of horsepower to run those games, unless there are some I'm unaware of. If anything, they seem more suited to emulation especially.

The mobile versions of Fortnite and PUBG would make use of that horsepower. Racing games like Asphalt 9. Those PC like games is what those phones are designed for. These PC accessory companies ain't making phones to be wasted being emulation machines.

mobile gaming would be more appealing if there were games I wanted to play on it and without it feeling clunky (I don't like tapping a touch screen for the lack of buttons)

The only game I would be playing now is MTGArena but my phone is too old/underpowered to run it (I have a Blackberry Key2 for my main phone and use my older LG V20 for photos/video/media)

17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't do mobile gaming because the compromises needed to make it work makes it a lesser experience for me. The constant reminders to spend money on bullshit is a huge turn off.

For all the bullshit involved, you are infinitely better off with a 3DS or a Switch, or one of those dedicated handheld emulation arcades.

Mobile gaming is literal cancer.

37 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Bet 

I hope that the Remake doesnt do well, mostly so Sony can see that they are heading the wrong way.

They are taking one dumb decision over another.

Shooing all the small and mid japanese 3rd party devs away.

Shooing their own japanese talent.

Aiming for just AAA blockbuster bullshit games while ignoring the small and mid level games that were the ones that actually helped them cement as what they are.

They are no longer offering what many fans of the brand liked about them with this shit they are doing.

And lets not forget implementing a party system that is atrocious which they didnt rollback despite the massive backlash.

Removing the stores for PS3 and Vita, etc, etc.

I see a lot of friends migrating to a convo of PC and Swicth  this gen because all the fuckery they been doing.

@HecatomThe worst thing about this is that even if Sony get's it's head out of it's ass, I'll be an AARP member before they can turn the ship around. If they suddenly changed course today. The results wouldn't be seen until 2024-25. Worse for the Japanese studios since they've been shuttered. They'd have to rebuilt them and even@Dayaan would been old head by the time they could release games.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The mobile versions of Fortnite and PUBG would make use of that horsepower. Racing games like Asphalt 9. Those PC like games is what those phones are designed for. These PC accessory companies ain't making phones to be wasted being emulation machines.

Those are all games you can play on an old-ass phone. There really aren't any mobile games out there that I know of that require a gaming phone, emulation is where the specs for stuff like that shines although they won't SAY that. I could play Asphalt 9 and Fortnite on my Samsung S7, but being able to emulate GameCube and Wii games on your phone is fucking cool, and it requires a pretty ballsy phone to do it.

27 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Those are all games you can play on an old-ass phone. There really aren't any mobile games out there that I know of that require a gaming phone, emulation is where the specs for stuff like that shines although they won't SAY that. I could play Asphalt 9 and Fortnite on my Samsung S7, but being able to emulate GameCube and Wii games on your phone is fucking cool, and it requires a pretty ballsy phone to do it.

Those phones can play those games better since it can support higher frame rates, the touch triggers makes shooting/racing easier and it reduces screen cluster and cooling provide ensures your phone doesn't become a toaster oven when playing. 

I have no issues with mobile gaming except for games that have extremely predatory gatcha/MXT practices.

There are tons of genuinely good games on mobile that cost next to nothing to play. A lot of them even have dlc or updates that add a lot more to the game. You just gotta know how to look. 

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I have no issues with mobile gaming except for games that have extremely predatory gatcha/MXT practices.

There are tons of genuinely good games on mobile that cost next to nothing to play. A lot of them even have dlc or updates that add a lot more to the game. You just gotta know how to look. 

I just let dudes play what they wanna play and pay for what they want to pay for.

I will clown them regardless, and I hope they clown me back and we can just have a good time. Gaming has a purpose, and it should be to bring people together.

Been watching a few non spoiler reviews of the MK film to get a general consensus.  So far I've found that the movie actually takes place before the tourney...completely which I don't remember them mentioning at all.  2nd thing I've been hearing almost consistently is people don't like Cole which is an...oh boy...  And the last thing that seems to be consistent is people love Kano to the point that they feel he steals the show from everyone else.

I ended up buying some more games on the PS5 to put on the backlog. Other than my one splurge in buying the deluxe edition of MLB The Show, I bought Outriders (which is just gonna sit and not get played until Squeenix fixes the much-talked up character issue), also picked up the Deluxe edtiion of Persona 5 Royal, and Pre-Thicc Woman RPG, er Atelier Ryza 1. I guess I love games way too much.

I actually game on my phone a decent amount, mostly for when I make brown at work or am on a Zoom call that doesn't matter. 

That being said, I avoid action games on phone like the plague. There's a lot of good puzzle games, and most the old FF and DQ games run well and work well on the platform. 

For example, I've run FFIX, Tactics, DQ1&2, and Chrono Trigger on my phone and still had really good experiences. 

The only action games I've ever played on my phone were World of Demons and SotN, and I only ran SotN cause it was like $2

I only game select Gacha on my phone. I was exclusively playing only Puzzles and Dragons for years until it got to the point I felt there was no progress and they weren't generous at all. Then I jumped on my current vice which is Fire Emblem Heroes. Even though they are also stingy, I at least feel like I can beat the standard to advance maps plus I have had better luck getting characters I like even without money.

Edit: But even with all that I can't say mobile games are that good, especially those that try to emulate a controller on the screen. I tried an JRPG or two in the past and I just can't get comfortable.

Edited by Wellman
17 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Those phones can play those games better since it can support higher frame rates, the touch triggers makes shooting/racing easier and it reduces screen cluster and cooling provide ensures your phone doesn't become a toaster oven when playing. 

That's fair, but a lot of phones have those same features and the horsepower of the ROG phone isn't drastically better for all the more money you're going to spend on it.

16 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Does anyone know if any of the pacman games released prior had ghost dodge around the corners?

I finally got a chance to play this a bit last night and it's a lot of fun, definitely moreso than Mario 35 in my opinion, but I was never huge into SMB1. I like that they're taking older IPs and giving them new and fun leases on life like this. Someone on reddit had an idea of doing something with F-Zero kind of like that knockout mode in FZX but make it Tetris/Pac Man 99 style battle royal. Can't say I'd hate that tbh.

Edited by DoctaMario

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade – Yuffie episode titled ‘EPISODE INTERmission’; Avalanche HQ characters, Weiss, and Yuffie abilities detailed

Plus a new box art for Japan.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Intergrade_2021

Square Enix has released new information and screenshots for Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, confirming the title of the new episode starring Yuffie Kisaragi as “EPISODE INTERmission,” as well as detailing its characters and combat.

The full voice cast was also announced, which includes:

• Yuffie Kisaragi (voiced by Suzie Yeung in English, Yumi Kakazu in Japanese)
  • Sonon Kusakabe (voiced by Aleks Le in English, Yoshimasa Hosoya in Japanese)
  • Weiss (voiced by Daman Mills in English, Jouji Nakata in Japanese)
  • Zhijie (voiced by Griffin Puatu in English, Akira Igarashi in Japanese)
  • Nayo (voiced by Ashley Boettcher in English, Akane Fujita in Japanese)
  • Billy Bob (voiced by David Goldstein in English, Kenichi Hoshino in Japanese)
  • Polk (voiced by Daniel Amerman in English, Nobuyori Sagara in Japanese)

Get the details below.

Final Fantasy VII Remake EPISODE INTERmission

Amidst the confusion of Mako Reactor 5’s destruction, Wutai makes its move on the city of Midgar.

Yuffie and her partner Sonon, two elite ninja operatives for the Wutaian government, have been assigned a dangerous mission: to steal the Shinra Electric Power Company’s most powerful materia. Together with Avalanche HQ’s support, they cross behind enemy lines to reclaim their homeland’s former glory and exact revenge long in the making.

Unbeknownst to Yuffie, however, the wheel of fate is turning, and unforeseen consequences await.

■ Characters

Yuffie Kisaragi (voiced by Suzie Yeung in English, Yumi Kakazu in Japanese)

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

A member of Wutai’s elite corps of ninja operatives, Yuffie styles herself as both a ravishing beauty and a world-class materia hunter. Using her signature oversized throwing star and exceptional agility, she is a force to be reckoned with. Determined to reclaim her homeland’s former glory—and acting on orders from the government—she sneaks into Midgar.

Spoiler

—Avalanche HQ

Avalanche’s strongest force, which charries out anti-Shrina activities under the ideology of planet life science. Unlike Barret’s sect of Avalanche, which chose the radical means of blowing up a Mako Reactor, Avalanche HQ is trying to free Midgar from the Shinra Company while protecting the lives of its citizens. Cooperate with Avalanche HQ in the mission to seize the “Ultimate Materia” to build a relationship with the new Wutaian government.

Zhijie (voiced by Griffin Puatu in English, Akira Igarashi in Japanese)

“A ’W’ is anyone who lives where you just came from. Think of it as a codename.”

A Wutaian living in Midgar who acts as the point of contact between the new Wutai government and Avalanche HQ. His silver tongue and fleet-footedness have given him a leg up in life down in the undercity. He acts as a guide for Yuffie upon her arrival in Midgar.

Nayo (voiced by Ashley Boettcher in English, Akane Fujita in Japanese)

“We’re just doing what we think is necessary to build a brighter future. That’s all there is to it.”

Born and raised in the undercity, Nayo is a member of Avalanche HQ who keeps a close eye on the splinter cell’s comings and goings. After receiving a request for cooperation from the new Wutai government, she makes sure that Yuffie and her partner have the IDs necessary to make it safely to the plate.

Billy Bob (voiced by David Goldstein in English, Kenichi Hoshino in Japanese)

“Remember, Midgar’s filled with Shinra’s victims, too. Not everyone here’s out to get you.”

A member of Avalanche HQ and lifelong undercity resident. He is by far the most experienced of the group, though few would know it, given his laidback, laissez-faire attitude. A heavy drinker, he can often be found at the local bars knocking a couple back, all while surreptitiously gathering intelligence.

Polk (voiced by Daniel Amerman in English, Nobuyori Sagara in Japanese)

“You look about ready to die of boredom. Wanna play Fort Condor?”

Undercity born and raised, Polk is the youngest and newest member of Avalanche HQ. Consequently, he is often treated as the younger brother of the team, loved and teased in equal measure. While he’s dedicated to Avalanche’s cause, his current passion is Fort Condor—a board game that’s taken the undercity by storm.

Weiss (voiced by Daman Mills in English, Jouji Nakata in Japanese)

“This is it. The beginning of the end.”

Known as Weiss the Immaculate, he is the sadistic ruler of Shinra’s top-secret underground research center, Deepground. Fearing his overwhelming strength, Shinra’s scientists have restrained him to a throne deep within the confines of the facility. There, under inhumane conditions, he bides his time, waiting to exact his revenge.

■ Battle Introduction: Yuffie

Yuffie is adept at both close-quarters and long-range combat. Press Square to strike an enemy with her throwing star. Hold Square to continue attacking while putting distance between her and her foe.

—English

—Japanese

Unique Ability

Yuffie can hurl her throwing star at an enemy with Triangle. While her weapon is away, press Square to perform a long-range ninjutsu attack. The weapon will return to Yuffie automatically after a certain amount of time, but she can retrieve it sooner by pressing Triangle.

—English

—Japanese

A ninjutsu attack initially deal non-elemental damage, but the ability Elemental Ninjutsu can change the attack’s affinity to fire, ice, lightning, or wind, making it easier to exploit an enemy’s weakness.

—English

—Japanese

—English

—Japanese

Ability: “Banishment”

An offensive ninjutsu attack where ATB spent on other commands increases damage dealt. Can be increased from Level I to III and its elemental affinity can be changed with Elemental Ninjutsu.

—English

—Japanese

Ability: “Windstorm”

Create a gust of wind that damages nearby enemies and launches them toward you.

—English

—Japanese

■ New Japanese Box Art

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is due out for PlayStation 5 on June 10 worldwide.

Edited by AriesWarlock