Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

I’m pretty sure the new Nintendo switch firm ware somehow fucked with its blue tooth. My friend hasn’t been able to connect any controllers to any of his switches outside his own. On top of that my pro controller isn’t connecting to any switch except my own. It wasn’t like this until the newest update. 

edit: I was right. The newest firmware for whatever reason fucked up all 3rd party controller settings 

Edited by iStu X
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I've been wanting to play a good beat em up lately and for all the trash I've talked about SoR4 I might pick it up when it goes on sale. 🤔

Use Cherry first if you do get it, being able to run makes the game way more fun IMO. Better yet, get Fight N' Rage first if you haven't played it yet. Easily my favorite brawler at this point. 

*...And yes, I'm going to continue to push FnR any time brawlers come up. It's that good.

Edited by Camacho
4 hours ago, iStu X said:

I’m pretty sure the new Nintendo switch firm ware somehow fucked with its blue tooth. My friend hasn’t been able to connect any controllers to any of his switches outside his own. On top of that my pro controller isn’t connecting to any switch except my own. It wasn’t like this until the newest update. 

edit: I was right. The newest firmware for whatever reason fucked up all 3rd party controller settings 

So I want to elaborate on this more. 

Nintendo's recent 12.0 firmware somehow messed with controller connectivity. So the SNES360 retro controllers, Power A, Pro Controllers, etc. If you desync your controller and connect it to another Switch the controller used will not sync to the original switch. 

you fix this by 

setting > controllers and connections  > Unpair all controllers

follow the steps the console tells you. Your joy-cons will automatically resync when theyre on the system rails like normal. Then you sync your controllers again as normal and the issue will be resolved. 

I was with Nintendo support almost an hour dealing with this and I ended up finding the answer on Reddit. Then I told the Nintendo rep how to fix it. Lol

Edited by iStu X

That new one, TMNT Shredder's Revenge.... it's looking like this is finally the game fans have been waiting on for years.  I will likely double-dip on this one since it's also going to be on the Switch.

Streets of Rage 4--- my favorite of the characters was Adam.  It's an odd thing when a dev only gives certain characters a great movement ability like running or dashing....it always makes the other characters seem lacking in comparison.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

That new one, TMNT Shredder's Revenge.... it's looking like this is finally the game fans have been waiting on for years.  I will likely double-dip on this one since it's also going to be on the Switch.

Streets of Rage 4--- my favorite of the characters was Adam.  It's an odd thing when a dev only gives certain characters a great movement ability like running or dashing....it always makes the other characters seem lacking in comparison.

Cherry is where it is at, for me.

Adam dashes.

Cherry full sprints.

Cherry has:

Inarguably the best Blitz

The best n.Special in the game

A deceptively great f.Special w/ iFrames

An a.Special that is a version of her f.

A grab that is mostly invun even at rest

A full-screen star move that carries

That run

With the damage buff she got, she now beats out Blaze, who WAS #1, despite having no dash or run (she has the best walk speed and a full screen a.Special that was clearly the best, though).

I hear you, man.

Axel is my least favorite due to his mobility issues, and he is far and away  the weakest of the 5.

Floyd edges out Adam in viability due to his safety. But he is so goddamned slow, I would rather go with Adam, too. Still, when he gets an enemy in each hand and does his Hulk SMASH thing, it is always classic. He needs a followup hop or something to make controlling him more dynamic and fun, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

vids

with the amount of vids you posted it should said "VIDS, BITCHES"

Good work man, there's a lot of stuff in there 🤣

Including a HotD remake. Neat. 

I think I said it here before, but I find PSX era graphics a lot more unsettling. I think it's fear nostalgia.  The remake graphics look good, but silly to me 

Edited by KingTubb
2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

with the amount of vids you posted it should said "VIDS, BITCHES"

Good work man, there's a lot of stuff in there 🤣

Including a HotD remake. Neat. 

I think I said it here before, but I find PSX era graphics a lot more unsettling. I think it's fear nostalgia.  The remake graphics look good, but silly to me 

I've been waiting for info on that HotD remake and it looks awesome so far. 

Day. Fuckin. One. 

11 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Getsu Fuma Den looks great. Is this Konami's redemption arc?

Seems to be  a sequel to a famicom game I have never heard of before. 

Two pieces of DLC for Castlevania Harmony of Despair were based on Getsu Fuma Den 🧐

You should play the original, it's a pretty excellent game. It's got an overworld map that's a lot like Zelda 2 with enemies roaming that will trigger side scrolling sections if you run into them,  and the side scrolling parts are based on the engine the first NES TMNT game was built with but with heavy Japanese vibes. But it also has 3d caves you have to explore which are pretty cool too. It was a very ambitious game for the time. It was only released in Japan but I have a translated version of it I can slide you if you're interested. 

This new game looks bananas, I can't wait to get my hands on it and it would be really awesome to see Konami turn it around. They've made some of my favorite games of all time but they were so incredibly innovative even back in the psx Era. It's a shame what's become of them. 

Edited by DoctaMario
9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

This new game looks bananas, I can't wait to get my hands on it and it would be really awesome to see Konami turn it around. They've made some of my favorite games of all time but they were so incredibly innovative even back in the psx Era. It's a shame what's become of them. 

The stuff Konami did on the Genesis, effects that the Genesis simply didn't have the hardware support for and got it working anyways. 
Like Mode 7 like effects, and getting the most out of the Genesis sound chip.

Konami also got effects to run on the MSX that hardware could not support, such as scrolling (at the time you needed for the hardware to support it) and Konami ran it all in code. 

Konami released a new sequel to a long running once annual board game they got by eating Hudson Soft years ago killed off let Nintendo borrow but brought back on the Switch.

That piece of software sold like 2 million in Japan and is still in their top ten despite being released months ago at the end of 2020.

I get the feeling that surprise success plus Covid-19 fucking up their spas/other in person businesses has got them looking different at game development again.

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

The stuff Konami did on the Genesis, effects that the Genesis simply didn't have the hardware support for and got it working anyways. 
Like Mode 7 like effects, and getting the most out of the Genesis sound chip.

Konami also got effects to run on the MSX that hardware could not support, such as scrolling (at the time you needed for the hardware to support it) and Konami ran it all in code. 

Yeah I was thinking specifically about what they did with Bloodlines on Genesis, all the amazing stuff they did in Castlevania 4, and the Psycho Mantis fight in MGS where he vibrates the controller and the "You like Castlevania " bit lol. They really went above and beyond probably up until the PS2 era. That was where I noticed quality slipping even if I liked some of the things they put out. 

I'm late here...Vita ftw.

I'm able to play Baldur's Gate 2 on it now but I'm still rolling my character.  Trying to get that 18/00 strength but its takin' forever.  But sleep mode is great.  I'd just cheat and do some kinda edit or use console commands but I cant. 

My vita is fully loaded.  There really isn't a good video player for it but I'll still put a couple movies on it.

spacer.png

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I want a switch but I feel its still too expensive.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227690/Severed_Steel/

Someone posted this on discord.  This shit looks pretty fun.

6 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

From a business perspective objectively off the top of my head?  Fortnite and the continuing domination of Unreal Engine as a go to 3rd party engine for games.  Both of those things can potentially put them in a position to be Steam if not better since Steam doesn't really have a very popular free to play money maker to go with their game sales nor do they have an engine that most of the industry uses where they get a cut if the game is successful/goes to market (I can't quite remember 100% how the terms are set right now at the moment...I just know you don't have to pay to use the engine starting out). 

59 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Because Steam and gaming on PC and other devices is the future.  I'm tellin' y'all, you wont be seeing another traditional console after ps5/this generation.  Consoles are done for. 

I feel like People have been saying this for over 20 years yet it still hasn’t happened lol

Edited by iStu X
40 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Finally got around to Ghosts of Tsushima, they really know how to make you HATE the villain right out of the starting gate. I want dude's head on a pike 3 minutes in

Congrats on buying the GOTY for 2020, and on the best Sony exclusives.

And Oh...the Khan is just getting started!!

42 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I feel like People have been saying this for over 20 years yet it still hasn’t happened lol

Except now consoles and PCs are nearly the same in power and price.  Phones are pretty freakin' powerful now.

Look how things are going.  Nintendo has been transitioning to full handheld to replace home consoles.  Why they did the Wii U then the Switch and now Switch Lite.  Xbox is getting their online eco system built up and moving shit to PC and that streaming shit.  Sony is starting to put their exclusives on PC and buying into shit that is PC and Mobile gaming oriented. 

Everyone is moving in a direction that leans away from a home console.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
32 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Why they did the Wii U then the Switch and now Switch Lite.

Because they were hemorrhaging money due to how poorly it was marketing. If it had been named literally anything but the Wii U it likely would have sold gang busters. This is been heavily heavily documented and even admitted to by Nintendo. 

Xbox is getting their online eco system built up and moving shit to PC and that streaming shit. 

because Xbox more or less knows it’s lost the console race several times over.  so they’re preserving what did make them successful and trying to build an world for Xbox users to still feel they’re being supported via game pass. Which has totally worked. And I applaud them for it. Full stop.

But they own all these studios and magically think that’s going to magically give them content. It’s not. Having back catalogue at the ready for x company only works so long. People are going to want new content from x company and xbox simply hasn’t delivered on that despite acquiring what? Almost 20 studios over the last 5-6 years? 

Sony is starting to put their exclusives on PC and buying into shit that is PC and Mobile gaming oriented. 

One exclusive. Horizon Zero Dawn. Talk about going all in! Also, having mobile gaming doesn’t mean that’s going to be their focus. Nintendo has 6 mobile games out and when you look at their annual revenue the only one that makes a blip on the radar is Pokémon and even then, the profits is split 3-ways. Mario Kart World made a big splash when it was first made but not anymore, really. 

also the switch being a hybrid system is fucking genius. Nintendo has dominated the handheld gaming market from the jump. That is irrefutable. However, They also needed something as a home console since outside of the Wii U and the Virual Boy everything Nintendo touches when it comes to at-home hardware sells in the tens and sometimes hundred millions. They needed that market back, again due to the failure of the Wii U. Which had an amazing library yet to my original point, it was horribly marketed and Iwata knew this. Which is why him and Koizumi poured their hearts and souls into the Switch and why it’s sold likely over 100m units now. Cause again, if you look at their sales numbers back in 12/2020 they were nearly at 80m units sold. 

Edited by iStu X

20 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Except now consoles and PCs are nearly the same in power and price.  Phones are pretty freakin' powerful now.

The tech has finally caught up. However, I don't think that we can say a home console will go away. I think it's just likely that there will be more refined shared components/architecture. 

21 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Look how things are going.  Nintendo has been transitioning to full handheld to replace home consoles.  Why they did the Wii U then the Switch and now Switch Lite.  Xbox is getting their online eco system built up and moving shit to PC and that streaming shit.  Sony is starting to put their exclusives on PC and buying into shit that is PC and Mobile gaming oriented. 

This still requires a piece of hardware that will be bought specific to a certain platform (mobile or otherwise). If you have a desktop that plays games, it still serves a similar purpose to a console. Microsoft owns the desktop landscape. If they lose the console war, the still have  an out. Sony's release of games on the PC are typically titles that have been out for a pretty long period of time. 

26 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Everyone is moving in a direction that leans away from a home console.

I don't know a lot of people that have computer systems that can run many of the AAA titles with settings rendering at least 1080p with 60 fps reliably. I would say that everyone is moving away from physical media than the use of a home console.  Consoles take out the guess work and people are lazy. 

5 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Consoles take out the guess work and people are lazy. 

And then there’s me who just absolutely doesn’t give a shit about pc gaming. I’ve never really been interested in it outside of downloading fandub’s of games we never got in the west (GIVE US MOTHER 3 REGGIE!), downloading rom hacks of games and downloading emulators. Which was almost 20 years ago. So...🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by iStu X
14 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

spacer.png

He shoulda just used Rush Coil.

Indiferencia Idk GIF by Product Hunt

----------

Any of ya'll play the demo for R-TYPE FINAL 2? It is remarkably short. My dad already has the game pre-ordered but I think I'll wait to buy it.

Speaking of demos, the one for Aerial Knight's Never Yield is pretty lit. The music soundtrack is a banger and I am so ready to throw money at this runner.

1 minute ago, RegH81 said:

Speaking of demos, the one for Aerial Knight's Never Yield is pretty lit. The music soundtrack is a banger and I am so ready to throw money at this runner.

One of my favorite Runners was the game gear Disney’s Aladdin. It was so fire and the remix of the OST was so bomb. 

This must upset you Stu.  Thing is im not saying it will be all PC...im sure each company will put out some device that lets you play their games.  It wont be like the consoles we know now though. 

I dont really even think about what a person is playing on anymore.  It doesnt matter, we all play the same shit and it pretty much looks and runs the same for us all.