Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

For those who aren't aware, MH Rise put fully editing your character behind a paywall microtransaction.  Apparently this was also in World and people aren't happy.

https://www.ign.com/articles/monster-hunter-rise-puts-character-editing-behind-a-paywall-again-and-fans-arent-happy

It is kinda scummy especially if there's no legit reason for why aside from just because.

Last of Us movie fell apart because it was too action focused

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-last-of-us-movie-fell-apart-because-it-was-too-action-focused

Cyberpunk has been updated again

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-hotfix-122-patch-notes-third-update-month

Last of Us 3 has a plot, just bot being worked on currently

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-last-of-us-part-3-has-a-plot-but-its-not-being-made-yet

Re: Verse delayed

https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-reverse-delayed-to-summer-2021

Sony reiterates again on agressive pursuit of exclusives

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-to-aggressively-invest-in-first-party-studios-and-third-party-exclusives

34 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Apparently within the next week or so GameStop is going to announce that it’s going to start price matching competitors

Probably smart. Anestop is 2 doors down from my work. Haven't bought anything from them in months when Wal-Mart is 15 minute walk away and 10 dollars less for new. 

46 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Probably smart. Anestop is 2 doors down from my work. Haven't bought anything from them in months when Wal-Mart is 15 minute walk away and 10 dollars less for new. 

I da know...the problem with this always has to do with how Gamestop gets its income.   So yeah it's plus most definitely on the consumer front but I'm wondering how much of a hit this is going to be for them to do this on the business side.  Wal-mart, Target, Amazon...those companies have other forms of income coming in that's consistent where they can stand to take a hit on that but GS?  I have feeling that's gonna be rough.

27 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I da know...the problem with this always has to do with how Gamestop gets its income.

My real point was that Gamestop doesn't offer any real incentives to the customer to walk in the door anymore. The rewards program is ass, there's no benefit to buying new or used from them because even their used prices are practically brand new majority of the time, and their toy offers are enemic. 

Everyone else does what Gamestop tries to do but better. They need to come up with some kind of incentive to get people to walk in the door besides "we are open at Midnight for COD!!!" It's definitely going to be rough but Gamestop got themselves here through shitty marketing practices and dog shit return compensation. Trade in something 2 weeks old and you get 15 bucks then they slam it on the shelf $50.

Climbing out of the hole you dig for yourself is always hard but it's what you have to do when you spend years engaging is pretty terrible policies and practices. 

And pay your fucking employees more, maybe they will give a shit about the job and know what the fuck is up when I ask if they are gonna get copies of Persona 5 Strikers or some other slightly obscure shit that isn't the AAA Holiday push title. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Everyone else does what Gamestop tries to do but better. They need to come up with some kind of incentive to get people to walk in the door besides "we are open at Midnight for COD!!!"

Ironically that IS the last time I went to a GameStop. For a midnight CoD release. The hilarious part was they ran out of copies and across the parking lot was walmart that was still open. I went there out of curiosity and asked if they had copies of the latest cod. They did and I was the only one there buying one. No waiting in line no preorder. That was about 8-9 years ago

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

My real point was that Gamestop doesn't offer any real incentives to the customer to walk in the door anymore. The rewards program is ass, there's no benefit to buying new or used from them because even their used prices are practically brand new majority of the time, and their toy offers are enemic. 

Everyone else does what Gamestop tries to do but better. They need to come up with some kind of incentive to get people to walk in the door besides "we are open at Midnight for COD!!!" It's definitely going to be rough but Gamestop got themselves here through shitty marketing practices and dog shit return compensation. Trade in something 2 weeks old and you get 15 bucks then they slam it on the shelf $50.

Climbing out of the hole you dig for yourself is always hard but it's what you have to do when you spend years engaging is pretty terrible policies and practices. 

And pay your fucking employees more, maybe they will give a shit about the job and know what the fuck is up when I ask if they are gonna get copies of Persona 5 Strikers or some other slightly obscure shit that isn't the AAA Holiday push title. 

Super fair.  Can't even rebut this in the least lol.

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

If it wasn’t for exclusive amiibo I wouldn’t be dealing with GameStop in any capacity 

I only ever go there cuz they are two doors down from work and I'm on lunch break or something. 

This is more a my area thing but I've kind of stopped doing even that because my particular location has nothing. Their switch shelf is half empty, I don't buy Xbox anymore (walls always flooded too lol) and the PS4 wall is pretty pathetic to. 

So I barely even do that anymore. Yesterday was the first time in weeks and only because FedEx gave us their again and i had to let em know to come get it lol. 

26 minutes ago, JHDK said:

PSN has the Tale of Arise pre-order page up.

September 10th.

😕

19+ extra costumes for only an extra $50.

😕 😕 😕

DOA 4 had like…three $90 season passes lol. 

the Fairytails game Bamco released last year had over $120 in dlc on day one too, I believe. 

either way. Shits dumb. 

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

DOA 4 had like…three $90 season passes lol. 

the Fairytails game Bamco released last year had over $120 in dlc on day one too, I believe. 

either way. Shits dumb. 

If Fairy Tale had released at $40, I would have copped it Day One.

As it stands, I will probsbly only maybe get it if sub-$15 on BF

11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Arise looks kind of cool. Never been into Tales Of

Same. I much prefer Star Ocean’s style of combat as opposed to Tales. They’re berry similar but just something about Star Ocean flows better to me. 

What was fun though was playing Tales of Vesperia with an arcade stick since it had a very deep combo oriented combat system. 

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Same. I much prefer Star Ocean’s style of combat as opposed to Tales. They’re berry similar but just something about Star Ocean flows better to me. 

What was fun though was playing Tales of Vesperia with an arcade stick since it had a very few combo oriented combat system. 

Never played Star Ocean either lol. 

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Dang. Just play the first two honestly lol

three was amazing until about mid game where they have this big reveal that fucks with the entires series’ continuity. Four is a bad game from a story stand point but the characters are awesome and the combat is fun as hell. 

Star Ocean 5 just shouldn’t exist lol

41 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Dang. Just play the first two honestly lol

three was amazing until about mid game where they have this big reveal that fucks with the entires series’ continuity. Four is a bad game from a story stand point but the characters are awesome and the combat is fun as hell. 

Star Ocean 5 just shouldn’t exist lol

4 has some of the best Tales gameplay and character design, ever.

The rest of the game is the scientific definition of cancer.

14 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Those costumes will be dope after that deep discount sale. 

Arise looks kind of cool. Never been into Tales Of.  Arise is the first one to grab my attention. 

Vesperia is super good, mechanically.

And the tropes are nowhere near overbearing, weighed against the genuinely well-crafted personas of your characters.

I mean, they're still tropes - it IS a JRPG, after all. But they are nuanced enough, and enjoyable enough that it doesn't even bother me in the slightest. And I am the dude who was a proud member of PabloTheMex's SRK Antiweeb user group, and also rocked the single best thing SRK phrostbyte ever said on SRK as my quote in my user tag.

I genuinely like Yuri & Co.

Edited by JHDK
Korea loves prostate more than phrostbyte.

Dark Souls...

I didn't die in my first 30 minutes as quickly as I thought I would. I ran into some huge demon-like thing. Like, dude was swing around a club that was the size of a house! And me, with my broken toothpick of a sword, was actually trying to fight him. By the time I realize I was no match for him, he killed me. Meh. At least the my first death wasn't to zombies or some lame fall.

Later, I came across three zombies and my noob self was not ready to take on three of them. I saw a white mist door and jumped into to get away. Only to be meet with the same dude with a big on club that killed me before. "Oh, it's like that, huh?" I say.  I'm a floor up so I'm think "Well, at least he can't get me from he--" *CRUSHES THE BIT OF FLOOR I'M STANDING ON* "Oh, you thought you was safe up there, huh? You gonna die just for being a dumb scrub!!!"

But then I got better gear and Estus Flask and a new sword and shield! My new sword does so much more damage! I went right back to that big ol' dude with the club and hit him with the Link Down Smash, whacked him a few more times and killed him!!!

He Man Account GIF

So I'm learning that I can't just whale at the attack button and get wins. I'm using the environment to my advantage. I knock zombies off stairs, use hall ways to get me an edge and learn to conserve stamina. This learn as you play model feels pretty dang good. 

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

...wait how do you teabag in rocket league?

At the end of a match, if you win, your team is featured and you can celebrate by dancing and jumping in place. So you just jump vertically and apply boost to move up and down.  Dude on the other team was talking shit during the match so we bagged them.

12 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Chad why. You’re not a 14 year old white boy 

I am when I play Rocket League apparently.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

I called someone a fgt in chat after I teabagged them and they started talking shit. I swear I thought it would be censored, but no. It's not censored, and they told on me.

That's not very esports of you, Chad 😏

2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Dark Souls...

I think I've gotten to the point where I can hang a bit more, my character isn't quite is squishy. I found the Elite Knight armor in the Darkroot Garden yesterday and that along with the Heater Shield that you can buy from the merchant in Undead Burg (it blocks 100% Physical dmg) made a difference. My only issue is that I'll get a bunch of souls and then end up in a spot where I have to decide whether to keep going or go back to the bonfire and level up.

Right now I'm debating whether to farm souls to unlock the Artorias grave, try to kill the necromancer thing in the Undead Parish, or just fight whatever is behind the fog gate in Darkroot. I cleared out the cemetery near the beginning too, but I'm not strong enough to use any of the weapons I found there. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by DoctaMario
17 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Its alright, I would classify it as What if Star Trek had a crossover with Classic Fantasy. The first game litterly opens up with a video cut scene of a starship captain giving his captain's log.  And yes a audio voiced cut scene on a Snes game. 

The unofficial translation got some bad voice acting. 

The PS1 and PS2 games and the remakes of the first two are great. They went off the rails 

20 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Trading in my Wii U for a Switch is the last time I remember ever buying something from Gamestop. That 4 years ago.

Last time I went to Gamestop was to pick up a used DS3. I was giving my PS3 away but I didn't have a DS3. I had a Power A controller with the 360 Controller's layout. I had given away my DS3 years earlier to friend that needed one. I hate the DS design, so I didn't miss it. I just didn't want to give someone a PS3 without one. I can't recall how long ago that was. I think it was before the PS4 Pro launched.