Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Shining Force was a bit sinplistic but it also didnt really atick arpubd long enough to grow real depth. Much as i love FFT and TO mechanically they can be a real fucking mess. That's has benefits and disadvantages. 

7 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Played Blaster Master Zero this week. Good stuff- too easy, but fun nonetheless. Will have to get 2 the next time it's on sale. 

I feel like Zero is about as hard as the Original would have been if it didnt have some real dumb fuck hit boxes. I think it feels about right but a hard mode would not go unnoticed for sure. 

4 hours ago, JHDK said:

That was 4.

And arguably the other best RE game.

That was both the first and last RE game that I played through. 

This talk about survival horror and the stress associated brought back terrible memories of Dead Space. It was one of the first games that I played with a legit audio setup. The 5.1 mixing messed with my head so many times. I enjoyed it, but that was pretty much the end of my attempt to play survival horror. 

I've been desperate for new info on this "V Rising" that I found out about the other day... I noticed a bit more on the steam store page. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

A Gothic Open-World

Explore a vast world teeming with mythical beings and danger. Travel through lush forests, open countryside, and dark dungeons to discover valuable resources, meeting friends and foes alike along the way. Traverse the world with vampire comrades or hunt solo as you pillage villages, raid bandits, and wander into the domains of supernatural beasts.

Fear the light - Rule the night

Stick to the shadows during the daytime, or the burning sunlight will turn you to ashes. Roam the night and prey on your victims in the darkness. As a vampire, you must quench your bloodlust and plan your strategies around the day/night cycle.

Raise your Castle

Gather resources and discover ancient techniques to gain dark powers. Use your newly acquired knowledge to build a castle where you can store your loot and grow your army of vampires. Personalize your domain, exhibit your vampiric style and make sure to craft coffins for servants and friends. Strengthen your castle while the threat from other players is rising.

Compete or Cooperate

Travel alone or explore the world with friends. Fighting side by side with other vampires will give you an advantage in your battle against the strongest creatures and most powerful humans. Raid other players’ castles or play the diplomat in the game of blood, power, and betrayal. Compete or cooperate - the choice is yours.

Master your Vampire

Learn and master an arsenal of deadly weapons and unholy abilities. In V Rising, you aim skill-shots and dodge projectiles using precise WASD controls and cursor-based aiming - no click to move. Tailor your play-style by combining melee or range weapons with a variety of powerful spell kits. Master your skills and unleash your wicked powers.

----------------------

Yeahhhhhh this is sounding like an immediate day 1 for me, of course... I just need some actual gameplay footage to seal the deal.

Ok, from the pictures, I can at least see that it's kinda like the isometric "Diablo ARP" view, though you can apparently move the camera a bit.  Unfortunately "broadband internet connection" is listed as a requirement, so like so many other things, it is probably "online-only" since that's the road this dumbass industry is going with.  They also mention WASD controls.... so I'm hoping there's an option to use a regular controller.

edit---this is the same development company behind the game "Battlerite"... something I'm not familiar with, but I've seen gameplay footage of that...so there's already some speculation that it might play like that.

Edited by MillionX
6 hours ago, MillionX said:

I've been desperate for new info on this "V Rising" that I found out about the other day... I noticed a bit more on the steam store page. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

A Gothic Open-World

Explore a vast world teeming with mythical beings and danger. Travel through lush forests, open countryside, and dark dungeons to discover valuable resources, meeting friends and foes alike along the way. Traverse the world with vampire comrades or hunt solo as you pillage villages, raid bandits, and wander into the domains of supernatural beasts.

Fear the light - Rule the night

Stick to the shadows during the daytime, or the burning sunlight will turn you to ashes. Roam the night and prey on your victims in the darkness. As a vampire, you must quench your bloodlust and plan your strategies around the day/night cycle.

Raise your Castle

Gather resources and discover ancient techniques to gain dark powers. Use your newly acquired knowledge to build a castle where you can store your loot and grow your army of vampires. Personalize your domain, exhibit your vampiric style and make sure to craft coffins for servants and friends. Strengthen your castle while the threat from other players is rising.

Compete or Cooperate

Travel alone or explore the world with friends. Fighting side by side with other vampires will give you an advantage in your battle against the strongest creatures and most powerful humans. Raid other players’ castles or play the diplomat in the game of blood, power, and betrayal. Compete or cooperate - the choice is yours.

Master your Vampire

Learn and master an arsenal of deadly weapons and unholy abilities. In V Rising, you aim skill-shots and dodge projectiles using precise WASD controls and cursor-based aiming - no click to move. Tailor your play-style by combining melee or range weapons with a variety of powerful spell kits. Master your skills and unleash your wicked powers.

----------------------

Yeahhhhhh this is sounding like an immediate day 1 for me, of course... I just need some actual gameplay footage to seal the deal.

Ok, from the pictures, I can at least see that it's kinda like the isometric "Diablo ARP" view, though you can apparently move the camera a bit.  Unfortunately "broadband internet connection" is listed as a requirement, so like so many other things, it is probably "online-only" since that's the road this dumbass industry is going with.  They also mention WASD controls.... so I'm hoping there's an option to use a regular controller.

edit---this is the same development company behind the game "Battlerite"... something I'm not familiar with, but I've seen gameplay footage of that...so there's already some speculation that it might play like that.

Sounds like a.vampire themed mmo from that description

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Sounds like a.vampire themed mmo from that description

yeah, and that's one point of concern for me, since I tend to dislike that entire genre.... with Elder Scrolls Online, for example... I'm really only playing that on occasion because it's "Elder Scrolls".  In fact, I've never grouped with anyone and try to ignore the random other people I see running around in the world... basically I play and think about it like another TES: Skyrim.  

I'm really hoping it's a "regular" game that can also be played offline if one so chooses... and it's a sad thing that this has become a "tall order"/unrealistic expectation these days.

Another thing I'd want in my "dream" vampire game would be different time periods.... like say your character was a person from ancient times that got turned way back then.. perhaps part of the old Aztec civilization, or ancient Egypt, maybe he/she is from even further back than that... then a quarter of the way in, there's a time-skip to the 19th century, in another part of the world....maybe then another story thing happens and it picks up around 1920s U.S., then the 1980s, and maybe the final section of story could take place in present day.  Vamps are perfect characters for such a thing since the most basic thing about them across most* lore is the immortality.  (*exception-- that french "Vampires" show is a recent thing that disregarded this critical rule.  They are the lamest so-called "vampires" I've ever seen.  Count Chocula is more of an accurate depiction than those chumps )

Edited by MillionX
On 5/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, MillionX said:

..... absolutely loving this shit so far.  I'm in the Dimetrescu castle now, and left it there for the night... sheeeeitttt, besides how hot Lady D. is...the castle is pretty damn awesome.

Made to the castle and took out one of Big Momma's daughters!!!

So far this is combination of RE4, RE7, RE 2: ReMake and RE5 since the GOAT Chris is in this...and it is amazing!!

RTX 3070 is handling this shit like a champ, only issue I had was whenever the daughters first arrive and attack you in fly form during their mini-boss battles.

The FPS takes a hit but recovers was battle begins.

Also....

Lady  Dimetrescu for SFVI, Capcom All-Stars and Mahvel!!

59 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I mean if they ever do another Capcom fighting game with all their properties or even another one of the Project X Zone games, they got to add her.

Nemesis barely fits vertically.

Is she even going to have a standing block?

I mean, even downbacking is only going to net you a titty-shot, with narily a viable clavicle.

Just now, JHDK said:

Nemesis barely fits vertically.

Is she even going to have a standing block?

I mean, even downbacking is only going to net you a titty-shot, with narily a viable clavicle.

They got Ridley in Smash Bros,  Juggernaut in Marvel, the mecha from TvC and what's their name from SFV, not putting on that momma would be both sexist and foolish.

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Verizon'a new 5G ad features the next Bethesda game.

So... is it still a limited data cap?

I haven't used over the minimum necessary since they changed it up to the ludicrous extortion racket it became.

I use my home internet on it, when home, and only use the 3G if out and about and the rare situation arises where I need to use it.

Otherwise, FUCK Verizon.

We're already killing the bees/life itself fast enough, anyway. 4G suffices.

Edited by JHDK
Killing typos, time, and bees.
4 hours ago, Wellman said:

They got Ridley in Smash Bros,  Juggernaut in Marvel, the mecha from TvC and what's their name from SFV, not putting on that momma would be both sexist and foolish.

#1."Smash Bros isn't a fighting game.

#1. Juggy is in 4:3.

#3. TvC shouldn't Bii a fighting game.

#4. SFV makes 3S look legit.

#5. Mold lacks both gender and a respect for the concept of native boundaries.

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

When you play RE and the game turns into PT. Why did this have to happen in this hour?

PT?

Physical Training?

"Wii's dead, Jim."

Edited by JHDK
More eloquence and elegance, possibly less bleeding into fear?
1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

PT is tech demo of Kojima's cancelled Silent Hill game.

Oh.

That makes more sense.

So it makes no sense.

At least it isn't PoP.

Because that would wind up being...

...Sands of Emo Kojima.

8 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

The homie ain't bullshittin, he ran thru Resident Evil Village. I wonder if he even did any of the side stuff 😂

I hear it is 10 hours, max, provided that you actually trot, not jog, not run, and upgrade.

It honestly looks so forced onto a rail and scripted, it might as well be an extended QTE cutscene.

if anybody cares the tales of destiny ps2 and psp games are getting fan translations! i know of two tales of destiny dc translations one has a professional editor and won't be done for a while another is using mostly google translate with some editing but is almost done and is apparently fully playable to beginning to end in english.

Pre RE4 most can be done on average around 3-4 hours (less if you're being efficient) anything RE4 and beyond, is double that (again depending on how efficient you are in game) 

I take around 8 ish because I like to explore and I want to collect every resource I can. Seeing a full vid now, feels much more like the modern RE games we've come to know vs the OG games but does a good balance of instilling fear again into the game.

I had some boosted exp in effect for Gears 5 so I put in some serious time this weekend.... I played a lot of the "Gunner" class this time.  The damage of this class is just disgusting...I have a skill-card that boosts the Mulcher minigun's damage by 40%....Gunner has a perk for damage boosting on top of that....so with that + that card, I think the end result once the perk was maxed was a +85 or 90% damage boosted Mulcher!  Bosses and other larger enemies show up only to get their health bar absolutely melted.

There is also the "Reflective Shell" ultimate... and I have the card that makes it also reflect projectiles.  There's been a couple of occasions where I just let a Scion with a mulcher actually kill himself by shooting at me while I have the Reflective Shell activated....how's that reflect-damage taste, brah? 🤣  A "Stump" enemy also killed itself shooting at me...that shit cracks me up every time.  It's such a good ability... you have reflect damage while being apparently invulnerable to all firearms and more---I noticed it actually reflects the spikes thrown by the Matriarch, and I *think* I saw it reflect the Snatcher's stinger shot.....even the Scorcher's fire; it protects you from that as well (no "reflect" of the fire though).  Once you get that mulcher, things are a bit easy from there going forward....since there's another perk that gives you ammo regeneration on "chaingun" weapons like that....so once you get all the points in this, a weapon locker to reload it isn't even needed anymore.

Also--- the Hivebusters DLC is half price at the moment... so 10 bucks.  I had enough reward points to cover that easily so I got it that way.

edit---haha, last Horde session for the day... I picked Infiltraitor and used Kait "just like old times" (before character/class separation)...and the new "Skeleton suit" skin... and it just so happened that 2 other people were in that match also with Kait and the Skeleton suit skin....heh, good times. 😆

sidenote---I know there tends to be a knee-jerk "anti-woke" reaction to certain things these days due to certain bandwagons movies/tv/games are hopping on lately, but I genuinely do enjoy Kait as a character...she has become one of my favorite badass female characters of all time in a game, actually.

*I love her theme music as well...there's a nice "haunting", eerie quality to it...

Edited by MillionX
20 hours ago, HD-Man said:

They vary honestly. I'd say 6-10 hours on most of em

Yup.

The first 3 and V, and the Remakes,at least.

RE4 though? That shit is looong, but good.

RE5 is long, but is shit, and a slog.

RE6... still can't muster the fucks to play.

RE7 has even less to compel me.

RE8 was hyped as being a return to form, more RE4ish, but as a FPS.

It just plain isn't.

It isn't even 1990s PC shovelware FPS quality.

It is Night Trap, with Squeenix graphics.

Gears of War franchise moving to Unreal 5

https://www.ign.com/articles/gears-of-war-series-moving-to-unreal-engine-5-for-multiple-new-projects

to be expected

Dontnod refused several proposals of acquisition in order to remain independent

https://www.ign.com/articles/dontnod-refused-several-proposals-of-acquisition-to-maintain-independence

Dontnod also moving on from Life is Strange for now, attempting to make more original IP's

https://www.ign.com/articles/dontnod-ceo-says-life-is-strange-is-not-our-strategy-for-now

Battefield reveal likely coming June

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-teases-battlefield-6-reveal-for-june