Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 hours ago, Skort said:

Capcom is earning the big bucks lately.  

Funding shouldn't be an issue with SF6 as it was with 5. Let's just hope the talent is there as well.

After the complete shitshow that was 5, Street Fighter 6 can just plain not happen.

Edited by JHDK
Kollea reft out a rettel.

Hmmm... I'm close enough that I *might* actually get that "General" rank (Gears 5) before Operation 6 ends in the next week... there's actually a lot to do and level up in Gears these days... some people hate "grind" in a game, but I usually like it if the "gameplay loop" is fun.

On another note---that MS Reward point system is too damn good, folks... if you aren't on this, you're basically leaving money on the table... I got my 6k just for getting Resident Evil 8, then the 250 for getting an achievement in it, the daily 50 per achievement on top of the numerous other things to get points.  After getting Hivebusters DLC just with the points I had saved (along with some retro shooter game recently with "Sturm" in the title; I forgot the full name but it's cool), I already have a few thousand points saved up again.   Basically, the very idea of the "reward system" is genius... because it's a win-win for both the consumer and the business, imo.

Edited by MillionX
3 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Hmmm... I'm close enough that I *might* actually get that "General" rank (Gears 5) before Operation 6 ends in the next week... there's actually a lot to do and level up in Gears these days... some people hate "grind" in a game, but I usually like it if the "gameplay loop" is fun.

On another note---that MS Reward point system is too damn good, folks... if you aren't on this, you're basically leaving money on the table... I got my 6k just for getting Resident Evil 8, then the 250 for getting an achievement in it, the daily 50 per achievement on top of the numerous other things to get points.  After getting Hivebusters DLC just with the points I had saved (along with some retro shooter game recently with "Sturm" in the title; I forgot the full name but it's cool), I already have a few thousand points saved up again.   Basically, the very idea of the "reward system" is genius... because it's a win-win for both the consumer and the business, imo.

I don't know if the Nintendo one is as good but I've gotten games essentially free by using those points. It's pretty sweet. 

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't know if the Nintendo one is as good but I've gotten games essentially free by using those points. It's pretty sweet. 

Yeah, I use that too... it's just frustrating that Nintendo's point system isn't anywhere near as generous.  It takes a long time to build up a decent amount on Nintendo, from what I've seen.  Meanwhile in Xbox land, you can have thousands of points in a fairly short amount of time, from all the various sources, like "get an achievement in this game and get 250." or "Check this new Gamepass title out" for 10 (which just means *glancing* at the shit on the store), or "buy this featured game and get 6000", "spend at least $20 on this sale and get ____", the daily quiz and searches on Bing, etc. etc.

40 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Nintendo's is alright it just takes a while to build up a decent Cache. What really sucks imo is you only get points for digital purchases. As someone who purchases digitally most of the time it would be nice to get some points for buying their shit regardless of form you know?

3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Nintendo's is alright it just takes a while to build up a decent Cache. What really sucks imo is you only get points for digital purchases. As someone who purchases digitally most of the time it would be nice to get some points for buying their shit regardless of form you know?

What REALLY sucks about Ninty's system, is that the points EXPIRE.

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Actually you can redeem points for physical purchases. Go to options > my Nintendo rewards program > earn gold points. There's a time limit on it. Points will only be rewarded within a year of the original release date. I usually get 60 points out of it.

yeah that's the other thing... if you're "late" buying a game on Nintendo, and it's physical, you won't get anything....and on top of that, I think it's usually less points for physical games anyway. (*ha, trying to subtly, slowly push more gamers towards digital purchases, perhaps?)

..and I probably don't check my email often enough, but it's been quite a while since they emailed me one of those quizzes; usually I'd get that after buying a game off the eShop, and just answering the questions gets more points.

Oddly enough I haven't played Switch for any serious amount of time in a few weeks now... mostly due to Outriders and Gears 5, but also because I'm usually exhausted after a typical work day now in this shit-ass "pandemic era" of a nearly ruined civilization.

3 hours ago, JHDK said:

I am playing through Fallout 4, now.

Fuck me, this is a lot of fun.

I've been doing the same, but with New Vegas. I've also played it many times before so...maybe it's not so much the same thing actually.

Still, it's crazy how much of a better experience both those games are on PC. I haven't even applied any mods, I just kind of revel in the fact that I can play the game with little next to no performance issues, half second load times, and silky smooth 60FPS. 

I know it's kind of silly, but the idea of playing through 4 again on PC was kind of sullied for me when I found out mods disabled Achievements. I mean, I get it, but it kinda sucks not being able to go back and check out those milestones, and if I ever wanted to platinum the game I'd have to pretty much forget about anything I accomplished on the modded playthrough and do it all over. Maybe there's a way around this that I just don't know about. 

Meh. How far are you and what kind of character are you going for?

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Actually you can redeem points for physical purchases. Go to options > my Nintendo rewards program > earn gold points. There's a time limit on it. Points will only be rewarded within a year of the original release date. I usually get 60 points out of it.

Thats not what my complaint is tho. My complaint is buying physical generaly earns you no points. 

Edited by RSG3

damnnn... so Operation 8 will be the last one apparently

https://forums.gearsofwar.com/t/operation-8-the-last-operation/60795

sooooo the team's focus/resources probably shifts over to the inevitable Gears 6 then, if it hasn't already...

ha, on another note---I'm not sure why a certain friend keeps buying these games; here it is closing in on 2 years since release, and we're on the next to the last Operation update now...... he got Gears 5 on day 1.  Has he played it?  Nope. 🤣  Lazy ass...I think he played for a few minutes 1 day with 1 other friend but that's it.... it's a waste of money, imo.... I don't understand people who buy games but never play them.

Edited by MillionX

Woohoo! New Destiny season starts today, and they're bringing back Vault of Glass in a couple weeks!

Yeah, yeah, I know nobody gives a shit, but I'm excited for it.  This has become my favorite time with Destiny now.  They reset the grind every few months so I'm having fun with it again for maybe two months.  It'll never be like the time I had playing it during the first year, but going through VoG again is gonna be dope.

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Man, I LOVED those games. I would REALLY love to see them get ported to the Switch because they're incredible horror games that are probably the scariest games I think I ever played.

7 hours ago, Skort said:

Capcom is earning the big bucks lately.  

Funding shouldn't be an issue with SF6 as it was with 5. Let's just hope the talent is there as well.

The problem was never the stonks.

It is that the suits at capcom see fgs as the redhead stepchild, which makes them not invest on the games even if they could.

This is in part because the niche nature of the genere, and in part of each fg after vanilla SFIV selling less than the previous one, creating a cycle where they in turn spend less on the next game, which in turns affects the quality of the next one impacting even more its sales.

30 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Man, I LOVED those games. I would REALLY love to see them get ported to the Switch because they're incredible horror games that are probably the scariest games I think I ever played.

I will admit to being a bit of a coward, I will play like a few stages of these games and never touch them again. But I really did like Fatal Frame as a franchise bas it was different. The camera was not a substitute for a gun so you had to come at it with a different mind set.

I have no idea what relationship Koei Tecmo and Nintendo have with the franchise but I wish they were less business minded and gave the recent one from Wii U or preferably a remaster of the Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 with extras a legit shot by releasing it before or around Halloween on the Switch.

I am not the audience but I know there is one that likes to get scared.

4 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I will admit to being a bit of a coward, I will play like a few stages of these games and never touch them again. But I really did like Fatal Frame as a franchise bas it was different. The camera was not a substitute for a gun so you had to come at it with a different mind set.

I have no idea what relationship Koei Tecmo and Nintendo have with the franchise but I wish they were less business minded and gave the recent one from Wii U or preferably a remaster of the Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 with extras a legit shot by releasing it before or around Halloween on the Switch.

I am not the audience but I know there is one that likes to get scared.

Apparently the director of the series wants to make a new one for the Switch. So who knows, we could end up with one. I still haven't played the 3rd one though, but I still have copies of the first two around somewhere.

Fatal Frame is the only survivor horror game I’ve ever genuinely enjoyed*. I remember watching a girlfriend at the time play 1 and 2. I found the premise awesome since it was based on legitimate Japanese lore. 

So after I saw her run through them I played them by myself. Omg super fun. Peter Parker Poltergeist! 

*unless parasite eve counts. Parasite Eve was so god damn good. It’s up there with my favorite PSOne games like Brave Fencer Musashi, Mega Man Legends, FF9 and Legend of Legaia 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

But it does. I got Super Mario 3D World few days ago and got 60 points out of it.

Yea you bought a first party game. Most of the Switches 3rd party offerings do no get you reward points, not that i have noticed anyway. Everything in the digital Store counts tho. 

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

I think he means in actual value. Cause one gold point is equivalent to 1¢. So a 60¢ return on a $60 investment isn’t much. 

Not really, tho that is something of an issue to. The conversion rate is pretty crap. 

53 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea you bought a first party game. Most of the Switches 3rd party offerings do no get you reward points, not that i have noticed anyway. Everything in the digital Store counts tho. 

Every single game I’ve bought but one whether it’s 1st or 3rd party has given me gold points. With physics releases however redeeming the gold points has a window. I believe it’s a year. After that they’re not redeemable. 

The only game I own that didn’t give me gold points was Rayman Legends. When I got it the game was bargain bin fodder. So it was way past the window to claim the points. 

Edited by iStu X
50 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea you bought a first party game. Most of the Switches 3rd party offerings do no get you reward points, not that i have noticed anyway. Everything in the digital Store counts tho

I got points from third party games. I got 35 for the Mega Man Zero collection. I got have gotten points for Shining Resonance if they didn't expire.

4 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

I've been doing the same, but with New Vegas. I've also played it many times before so...maybe it's not so much the same thing actually.

Still, it's crazy how much of a better experience both those games are on PC. I haven't even applied any mods, I just kind of revel in the fact that I can play the game with little next to no performance issues, half second load times, and silky smooth 60FPS. 

I know it's kind of silly, but the idea of playing through 4 again on PC was kind of sullied for me when I found out mods disabled Achievements. I mean, I get it, but it kinda sucks not being able to go back and check out those milestones, and if I ever wanted to platinum the game I'd have to pretty much forget about anything I accomplished on the modded playthrough and do it all over. Maybe there's a way around this that I just don't know about. 

Meh. How far are you and what kind of character are you going for?

I am kind of going slowly, I think, and jumping around.

I just got going on the Railroad.

I am going for a Stealth Melee build, because reasons, lol.

It seems to be going well.

Currently rocking Grognak's Axe and Attire.

But I DO have a .50 cal sniper rifle that I named for what it is:

"A Necessary Evil"

Edited by JHDK

you know guys ive been playing a lot of old games lately trying to clean up my backlog and i have recently started to wonder how many continuities have been fucked up by mistranslations and shit.

like the final boss of breath of fire 1 and 3 is the same person but some people argue its not because of the translation even tho the title screen of 3 is a mural of the party 1st game fighting  the final boss.

same with wild arms 3 a nigga from the 1st game shows up has the exact same weapon and attacks but has a different name so a bunch of people just thought it was an entirely different person.

Edited by nickmanx5
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The problem was never the stonks.

It is that the suits at capcom see fgs as the redhead stepchild, which makes them not invest on the games even if they could.

This is in part because the niche nature of the genere, and in part of each fg after vanilla SFIV selling less than the previous one, creating a cycle where they in turn spend less on the next game, which in turns affects the quality of the next one impacting even more its sales.

OF COURSE every iteration of what is at heart the same product, is going to sell less than the one previous - particularly in a competitive 1 on 1 vs scenario.

That's just common sense, at work.

Players who aren't competition-minded are not going to be inclined to shell out $40 another 3 times (2012 was "free, iirc).

As to the games after it being of lesser quality, well... that's on Capcpomcom.

MvC3 being a 1 touch kill game, from the get, was bad design, full stop.

One can blame UMvC3 being a quickly rushed cash-grab on the earthquake all one wants, but smat the end of the day, it was a minimum effort expansion of a badly wrought initial framework.

Of course they sold less than SF4.

MvC:I was such a complete shambles, it looked like Capcpcpocpocpocpom put forth actual effort to deliberately make it suck like an epileptic wearing braces.

Of course it sold less than SF4.

SF4 was the first numbered SF in almost a decade.

Even with Vanilla sucking compared to the refinements that followed (sorry Stu, it's true), its selling gangbusters was practically guaranteed due to the name brand's cred, and the time gap alone.

And even given all of this, Street Fighter 5 didn't fail due to its genre.

It failed because it is a dumpster fire of aborted AIDS baby fetuses proportions.

Edited by JHDK
Kollea

man, Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of my favorite SNES games... more than likely I will buy it on Switch asap.  

...hilarious bullshit shenanigans in Gears 5 Horde earlier... things were going alright until for some reason the game just started spawning a whole legion of the bastards right there in the base next to us.  A "warden" just popped up out of thin air along with a scorcher-wielding Locust, and proceeded to just wreck the whole squad....complete with grenadier Locusts throwing multiple frag grenades into the situation. (this was an "Elite" difficulty session)  There are some occasions where the game's AI seemingly goes into "ok, FUCK you guys." mode.

*they finally fixed that achievement for getting 100 kills with the Fear ultimate on the Nomad class; I was on 95% forever and it finally popped up for me in the last Horde session....ha, now I no longer need to play that class again; I was never a big fan of it.  Infiltrator, Marksman, and recently Gunner and Veteran are my top picks.  Infiltrator/Kate is still my most played so far; I have that one at level 18.

EDIT---I hope they bring back "Escape" mode in Gears 6.... I don't think it's as popular as Horde, which is a bit of a shame.  I'd agree they should probably add something to make things a bit more epic, like some "action-movie" set pieces or something to spice things up.  At least on paper, the concept is awesome to me: a group of 3 COG purposely get taken by a Snatcher so they can infiltrate a hive... they plant a toxic bomb, then it's a race against time to fight your way out, heading to an extraction point...starting out with only a pistol.  <--I LOVE this concept....and it's fun as-is, but it seems like there could be something added to make it even better.

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, JHDK said:

MvC3 being a 1 touch kill game, from the get, was bad design, full stop.

One can blame UMvC3 being a quickly rushed cash-grab on the earthquake all one wants, but smat the end of the day, it was a minimum effort expansion of a badly wrought initial framework.

Regarding those subjects, i think that MVC3 turned out like that because 4 things

1. They were implementing mechanics from other games, without taking into consideration why they were like that on their games, and how the changes made by them will impact how they work.

2. They for better or worse (more worse than anything), backtracked on various of their original design ideas because the vocal side of the community on forums like SRK and Capcom unity disliked their direction.

Originally most character would had air dashes for example, and the hitstun and otg window was increased across the board without changing the frame data.

3. Due the state of how the license for marvel worked at the time, they had a small time frame to work on the game, which evidently would limit how much they will be able to test and iterate on the game.

4. They were chasing a nebulous idea of how the game should be according to the fgc.

Everyone was always hyping the idea that the game should be bs across the board, so they were chasing that using modern sensibilities, like having comeback mechanics, etc all while also having a design philosophy that with time on your side you could make it work, like having uneven characters with some having way more tools than others being "balanced" by their roles and strengths and weakness on the team.

The context of the game at the time made it impossible to actually end being not kusoge.

I love the game, waaaaaaaaaaaay more than mvc2, which i actually hated to play, but enjoyed watching it at tournaments, but i would never pass it as a good game if someone asked me.

As for UMVC3, in the end, it is tied to point 3.

They had a small time window to work with, so whatever they had, they rushed it out to be able to publish something before they lost the license.

It is why we had UMV3 being announced 3 months after Vanilla's release and being out 5 months after that.

And why it went unsupported basically after each release with maybe just 2 patches each before being abandoned by capcom.

I, btw, i am not defending that shit, since i was understandably annoyed and maybe even pissed about it.

That shit killed any momentum that either Vanilla or Ultimate could had since it soured the casuals and enthusiasts.

Side note.

I actually remember predicting how the next MVC will turn out after UMVC3.

Both SRK and a FB i am an admin.

I remember people giving me shit because i was so negative about how capcom and disney would mess it up with dumb design decisions and disney being more anal than ever on how and what characters the game would have.

Now what is left is the 2nd part of the prediction.

Where i said that Capcom is by this point better either creating a nes VS game with other company, or even better, having a vs style game celebrating their own franchises.

Outside Nintendo, they are the closest to being the equivalent of Disney on how much characters with so much history behind them for video games.

They have enough characters to fill a game, and fill the niches and void left by the marvel side gameplaywise, you may say, be the function to replace it.

And having being only their own chars allows them to actually monetize it and support it as they please.

For all the shit that SFV is, their monetization scheme is near to be one of the most ideal of how fgs could be updated.

Although, at the same time, i think that if capcom will be halfassing their fgs, we are better with them just not shitting more the bed.

The fgc doesnt really need Capcom games at the front anymore, yes, they have their historical value, and i love SF, but i prefer them not keep tarnishing their brands, specially since we have other companies actually putting the work with their games.

Double Post.

Speaking of SRK, i find amusing how at the end, the combination of terrible admins and the fatfuck being a shit individual killed the site.

So much history lost, not that moist of it wasnt already gone due all their software changes for the forums.

It cracks me up that it still has the banner that says it is in read only for a week for maintenance, and we are 3 months in 🤣