Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

26 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

It's gonna be hilarious when it runs Switch games better than the Switch.

Every since I saw how efficient Zen 2 and Zen 3 were, I was wondering if some one would make a Switch like device using AMD.  Just glancing at the specs it edges out the base PS4. The CPU is substantially better and the RDNA2 based GPU smoke the Polaris-esque GPU despite similar on paper numbers.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Streets of Rage 4 DLC is out. It adds: Playable Esthel, SOR4 versions of Max and Shiva, new music by Tee Lopes, a rougelike survival mode, a training mode, new selectable difficulty, and new moves for the entire cast of characters.

It also brings back something that was truly missing in the base game.

Spoiler

Don’t want to spoil the surprise? Don’t click the next spoiler.

Spoiler

Roo from SOR3 is also added as a playable character.

LSidUpl.jpg

sb8hOam.jpg

7 minutes ago, MillionX said:

sheeeittttt, this is my first time hearing about this Steam Deck...

sooooo fuckin BOUGHT!

(*provided I pre-order and have luck on my side of course since that's the goddamn new normal now 😞 )

Not a fan of the button placement at all, but I like everything else I see so far. I'd probably but this for the massive catalog alone 

EDIT: I feel like this is a missed opportunity to call it the Big Mean Steam Machine 😂

Edited by HD-Man

Really that is an awesome handheld going by the specs and price alone.  Its as powerful as some gaming laptops so it can play just about anything out now on medium/high settings at least.  The price on the cheapest model is great.  I'm just wondering now about the storage on it as that seems to be what really changes the price of the sucker.  The cheapest one, the one with super shit storage, uses eMMC and the other two use NVMe.  I wonder if the cheapest one comes with a NVMe slot in it?  I bet it doesn't and I bet the other two models you can remove the NVMe from the thing and put your own in it.

spacer.png

Then the fact that you can put a different OS on the thing...

spacer.png

I'm gonna watch this like a hawk.  If I had to get one now I'd get the middle version.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I have some concerns with the ergonomic design of the steam deck. I think it would be better of the analog sticks were positioned where the touch pads are. It be more comfortable and avoid accidental presses of it. 

My biggest issue is that you can't expand the SSD storage. You can only use UHS-I Micro SD cards. Which are only capable of 104MB/s. That is the same limit as the Switch. So basically the only mode worth buying is the $650 model because that is all the NVMe speed you'll get. I mean a 7200RPM HDD can hit 150MB/s.  That's basically 5400RPM HDD speeds.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Really that is an awesome handheld going by the specs and price alone.  Its as powerful as some gaming laptops so it can play just about anything out now on medium/high settings at least.  The price on the cheapest model is great.  I'm just wondering now about the storage on it as that seems to be what really changes the price of the sucker.  The cheapest one, the one with super shit storage, uses eMMC and the other two use NVMe.  I wonder if the cheapest one comes with a NVMe slot in it?  I bet it doesn't and I bet the other two models you can remove the NVMe from the thing and put your own in it.

spacer.png

Then the fact that you can put a different OS on the thing...

spacer.png

I'm gonna watch this like a hawk.  If I had to get one now I'd get the middle version.

According to the videos Million posted the internal storage isn't upgrade. All SKUs will have expandable storage with micro SDs. 

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My biggest issue is that you can't expand the SSD storage. You can only use UHS-I Micro SD cards. Which are only capable of 104MB/s. That is the same limit as the Switch. So basically the only mode worth buying is the $650 because that is all the NVMe speed you'll get. I mean a 7200RPM HDD can hit 150MB/s.  That's basically 5400RPM HDD speeds.

Can't this thing use those extreme and ultra SD cards to beef up the speeds a bit? I know it helps a bit for the Switch.

3 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Yeah, we'll have to wait till the things are cracked open to see that.  I didn't watch the video, but you did, did they open it up?  If the NVMe isn't soldered in the sucker I'd just open it up and switch it out.

There were no tear downs. I don't expect IGN to dig that deep into this device. If it doesn't come from Steam itself then I'll have to wait on a Gamer Nexus or iFixit for one.  

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Can't this thing use those extreme and ultra SD cards to beef up the speeds a bit? I know it helps a bit for the Switch.

Because they went with UHS-I, like Nintendo, the SD cards are capped at 104MB/s. If they'd gone with UHS-II it then the cap would have been 312MB/s. I'm honestly shocked that they went with UHS-I and not UHS-II.

So, yeah, storage is my only issue with the thing.  Having to use an SD card is gonna suck.  I didnt want to move over to SSD cause the price but once I did...there is no going back to slower shit and some shit loads slow as fuck if not on SSD, shit, I even have one game that wont work properly unless I have it installed on an SSD.  I'm never a day one buyer anymore so I'll be able to wait and find out how the NVMe is mounted in there.  If its soldered then I wont get one and if its not I will...eventually.  I'll wait a year or more, see if they come out with an updated model you know?

4 hours ago, iStu X said:

I don’t know if anyone posted this but Jim Ryan with one of the stupidest takes I’ve read in recent memory 

Is like this man only opens his moth to spill the stupidiest takes about gaming.

Truly a person that comes from the financial sector and not within the gaming industry.

Every shit he says shows a clear lack of passion about what people enjoy about video games, and only how you can profit from them.

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Is like this man only opens his moth to spill the stupidiest takes about gaming.

Truly a person that comes from the financial sector and not within the gaming industry.

Every shit he says shows a clear lack of passion about what people enjoy about video games, and only how you can profit from them.

It’s fascinating and frustrating how many people agree with him in the comments too. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Another Monster Hunter Movie will be released on Netflix next month.

I’m not a fan of the artstyle but it can’t be worst than the live action one.

I'm intrigued.  I'll probably watch it.  The premise sounds way better than the live action movie since this dumps you straight into the universe without someone going "OOPS...I'VE FALLEN INTO ANOTHER DIMENSION!" trope.  Looks like it's made straight for MH fans but whether that's going to be a good or bad thing...we'll see.

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Somebody mentioned the possibility of a GUTS and Legend of the Hidden Temple stage in that Nickelodeon Smash game.....YES, please. I need them to make it happen 

Speaking og that game. 

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm intrigued.  I'll probably watch it.  The premise sounds way better than the live action movie since this dumps you straight into the universe without someone going "OOPS...I'VE FALLEN INTO ANOTHER DIMENSION!" trope.  Looks like it's made straight for MH fans but whether that's going to be a good or bad thing...we'll see.

Man MonHun movie even fucked up executing an Isekai. Milla Jovovovanavich didn't even get hit by a truck on her way to work with toast in her mouth. 

Hard fail, refund demanded!!

Edited by RSG3

VGM Friday!  Skyward Sword HD releases today so I figured I'd celebrate with my first VGM postbeing centered around that game.

Spoiler

I have yet to hear a better version of this track in another Zelda game but to be fair there's only been 3 new mainline games out since its release? (checks) Yes 3.

Shame the overworld is mostly empty to be accompanied by this...

15 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

quick pc bros give me your opinion on this prebuilt ASUS ROG Gaming Desktop Intel Core i7-11700KF 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 2TB HDD + 512GB SSD G15CE-B11 - Best Buy

i really just want the 3080 but ive acepted that unless i win the new egg shuffle im not getting that shit for less than 1500  and i could always give my current pc with my 2080 super to my little brother.

Are there other parts on this build that can serve as an upgrade to your current build? $2000 just for a 3080 doesn't sound worth it. 

11th gen Intel's on the high end are shit. You or your brother would be better off with a 10th gen.