Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Are there other parts on this build that can serve as an upgrade to your current build? $2000 just for a 3080 doesn't sound worth it. 

11th gen Intel's on the high end are shit. You or your brother would be better off with a 10th gen.

Thanks! I’ll just save my money and wait it out.

Edited by nickmanx5

For a moment i was thinking on installing Valorant on my laptop to try it but i remembered that it installs a lot of unwanted shit at kernel level that is hard to remove afterwards. 

Dunno if is still the case, but that shit sure is a turnoff. 

Oh how surprising that it's borderline impossible to buy the damn Steam Deck.  How shocking.

This situation that the industry is continuing to irritate the fuck out of me, man... if you miss out on a pre-order then OH WELL, guess you just don't get a chance at buying a system until maybe 2 or 3 fucking years later.  

Back in the day (before a certain shit ass virus ruined the world) you could casually stroll into a Best Buy, Target or anywhere that sold electronics and just buy something just as easily as purchasing a small bag of chips from a vending machine.  Now you have to watch a website for "minute 1" of a pre-order going live and HOPE you get lucky to get the shit without any problems.  

Really hate how Square Enix has let the series lay dormant, but at the same time, is maybe a blessing in disguise.

It could end being a dissapointment by them making unnecessary changes like the cancelled legacy of kain game that had nothing to do with the main conflict and cast of the older games, Dead Sun was its name iirc (Which, it didnt look terribad in its gameplay, but the fact that ditched all the Gothic aesthetic and the story had it doomed if it were released)

But still, if i could get a dream version of the games, it would be a game that improved on the old ones, with the combat made by Platinum

31 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Oh how surprising that it's borderline impossible to buy the damn Steam Deck.  How shocking.

This situation that the industry is continuing to irritate the fuck out of me, man... if you miss out on a pre-order then OH WELL, guess you just don't get a chance at buying a system until maybe 2 or 3 fucking years later.  

Back in the day (before a certain shit ass virus ruined the world) you could casually stroll into a Best Buy, Target or anywhere that sold electronics and just buy something just as easily as purchasing a small bag of chips from a vending machine.  Now you have to watch a website for "minute 1" of a pre-order going live and HOPE you get lucky to get the shit without any problems.  

I think one of the few positives to come out of COVID is people seeing the value of brick and mortar stores. You need them to keep online shopping from becoming the shit show it is now. 

5 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I have to wonder if the Steam Deck really takes off, if devs will make games with that thing's specs in mind and PC setups will end up being a bit more standardized than they have been because PC companies will start making laptops or towers that are designed with the same/similar specs.

If sells really well, I wouldn't be surprised. Publishers want as much money as possible. The only real boat anchor I see is the non SSD version. With consoles having SSDs standard, mechanical drive speeds are going to slowly become a non starter. As much some PC gamers hate to admit it. Most games are made with console specs in mind.

it was about 2 years ago i got into pc gaming  and now i almost feel like  i can't go back . i always avoided it because i really like fighting games and jrpgs but pc and nintedo consoles are getting  just about  everything i want to play these days.

if anything ps5 might be my last sony console.

I haven't really gamed on a console in over a decade...like two. I never got a PS4 or XB1 or Switch.  Still use my PS3 every day but that's for media shits.  Its still great for that. 

But if this Steam Deck thing works great and all that jazz it will be the ultimate handheld ever.  PC gaming could get cheaper too.  I like handhelds and this shit is like a dream macheen.  I cant wait till someone cracks one open so I can see its guts.  🤣

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I have to wonder if the Steam Deck really takes off, if devs will make games with that thing's specs in mind and PC setups will end up being a bit more standardized than they have been because PC companies will start making laptops or towers that are designed with the same/similar specs.

I don't see that happening at all. I can see this thing increasing the importance of optimization so it will be possible for games to run fine on it. It being a PC I'm sure Valve will push what it's capable of doing in future iterations.

I went ahead and reserved a Steam Deck.  I may not get it but it only cost 5 bucks to reserve one so I figured why not?  The fuckin' thing will be the ultimate game station...if its what it seems it will be.  Right when I get that sucker, if I were to get one, I'd have thousands of games ready/available to play on that mofo.  Games from cps and shit all the way up to current games, console and PC. 

spacer.png

Wouldn't be able to get it till around mid next year anyhow.

I got my No More Heroes 1 and 2 from Limited Run a few weeks ago. Played through the first game again. I remember it for it's charm but certainly not playing it. That's a title I never want to go through again.  Everything that I loved about the franchise is basically in the second game. It's good to see that they streamlined the hell out of the game play elements. 

Say's the battery life is 8-12 hours.  Is that good or bad?  I dunno.  I love handhelds but I usually play them at home so they're always plugged in.  Strange I know but handhelds just feel different.  I dont really have any other device like a phone or anything to play games on, just a couple Vitas. 

🤔I got this laptop I'm typing on right now but the freakin' Steam handheld is way more powerful.  I can play some games on this thing and I get about 4 hours of play on the battery.  This laptop was 500+ dollars.

I was eventually able to get it reserved... I also went for the 256GB one.  So far it says mine is Q1 of 22.

such a huge variety of games, man..including the few things that never came to console like VtM: Bloodlines(*I doubt that will ever be on console at this point)..... PORTABLE, bruh. (*or still on a big screen since it has a "dock" too, like Switch)  Imagine that shit, folks.  PS3/360-era classics like Prototype 1 and 2 and whatever else you can imagine....more recent good shit like Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War and others.  "This is a big fuckin deal" as Sleepy Joe Biden might say.

Edited by MillionX

Having my whole Steam library in a portable sounds pretty awesome, but I also find it a bit tough to justify when I don't game away from home anyways. Can't imagine using it much beyond sitting on the couch with my wife while she watches TV. Either way, it certainly crushes any appeal of the Switch beyond first party titles.

4 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Either way, it certainly crushes any appeal of the Switch beyond first party titles.

I'm kind of the opposite. I bought a Switch specifically for the first party titles, and I rarely ever play it in handheld mode. I got a gaming laptop last year with a nice monitor and I haven't played a PC game on it in at least 8 months. I just don't really give a shit about PC gaming at all, especially when I have a Switch and a PS5 in my living room where I do all my gaming after my kiddo goes to bed. I tried to get into it, and I can appreciate it. But with my situation, console gaming is just way more convenient and preferable. I barely have enough time to play the games I have anyway, so the Stream Deck just seems kinda gimmicky to me.

To be fair, I think the Switch is kinda gimmicky, too. I've played it a few times in handheld on some flights, but the damn thing cramps my hand and it's just more enjoyable as a gaming console in my living room instead.

Wouldn't the Steam Deck be the same though?  I mean, you can hook the thing to any tv and use any blue tooth controller you want to play while its hooked to the tv.  Just like a Switch but you get to choose what input method you prefer.  You can freakin' emulate the Switch on the Steam Deck.

spacer.png

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

To be fair, I think the Switch is kinda gimmicky, too. I've played it a few times in handheld on some flights, but the damn thing cramps my hand and it's just more enjoyable as a gaming console in my living room instead.

Yeah, same. Even as a hybrid system I simply don’t see it as a handheld. 

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Wouldn't the Steam Deck be the same though? 

Yeah, I guess. But anything I'd want to play on it I can already play on my PS5 with better performance. The key here being that I don't have a lot of time to game these days so I have no choice but to be selective about what I play. I'm not knocking the thing, it's just not for me  I've got three Switch games and two PlayStation games still in their cellophanes, lol.

10 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Say's the battery life is 8-12 hours.  Is that good or bad?  I dunno.  I love handhelds but I usually play them at home so they're always plugged in.  Strange I know but handhelds just feel different.  I dont really have any other device like a phone or anything to play games on, just a couple Vitas. 

🤔I got this laptop I'm typing on right now but the freakin' Steam handheld is way more powerful.  I can play some games on this thing and I get about 4 hours of play on the battery.  This laptop was 500+ dollars.

So they actually did say what the battery life is? 8-12 is definitely solid.  Thats slightly above the switch as it is currently right? *checks*  yeah by about 3 hours.  And like a mid grade pc spec wise?  Yeah thats real solid.

2 hours is just 1 hour out of game gear range.  I'm sure ita going to be on a game by game basis so if you're playing something that is pushing the system then don't expect it to last long.   I have a feeling that most triple A games are prob going push the system.   May make the idea of trying to play that type of stuff on the go annoying but we'll see.  I'm sure it'll be great for everything else since it sounds like a good chunk of people are intending to mod/jailbreak it.

I would definitely hack one if I get one.  I think the reason I like the handheld is I can play it anywhere in the house without disturbing my lady and it leaves the computer(s)  and tv free in the living room.  I know most guys like to get themselves a man cave or whatever but I'm not really down with that.  I don't want to be relegated to my lonesome every time I want to play a game.  So I have it all set up in the living room.  With the Steam handheld I could move my shit into another room.  We have 2 spare rooms and a family room that are not used.  I could set up my desktop in one of those and make some space in the living room.

spacer.png

The two computers and all the shit on the table can go into another room if I had the Steam thing.  And I'd only have to go into the other room to play on my desktop if I wanted to.

Also, if any of you guys ever buy those cans of air duster to clean out electronics and such...should get this thing -

spacer.png

I think it was 70 bucks (got it like last year I think) and it works great for cleaning out my computers and PS3 and other shits.  In the long it will save me a shit load of money too.  And it could save you some money...

3 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I'm kind of the opposite. I bought a Switch specifically for the first party titles, and I rarely ever play it in handheld mode. I got a gaming laptop last year with a nice monitor and I haven't played a PC game on it in at least 8 months. I just don't really give a shit about PC gaming at all, especially when I have a Switch and a PS5 in my living room where I do all my gaming after my kiddo goes to bed. I tried to get into it, and I can appreciate it. But with my situation, console gaming is just way more convenient and preferable. I barely have enough time to play the games I have anyway, so the Stream Deck just seems kinda gimmicky to me.

Big Brain PC Gamers know that the REAL draw of PC gaming is emulating Nintendo games at high res and FPS.

People who experienced GOAT of the Wild at 4k/60fps truly had a blessed life.

spacer.png

Speaking of Zelda, Skyward Sword HD is a pretty good game.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Given Valve's history with hardware, it seems wise to take a wait and see attitude towards this thing. 

The only negative thing I hear about Valve hardware is that the knuckles on their VR headset can be fragile. Suffering from stick drift and various other issues. 

19 minutes ago, Volt said:

Big Brain PC Gamers know that the REAL draw of PC gaming is emulating Nintendo games at high res and FPS.

Gotta get that HiGain or BSNES and BNES for that cycle accuracy
It also means having a PC that can run Crysis at max specs.

ZSNES isn't going to cut it.

Then again I am a MiSTer user so I sorta side step the issue 

I played that one Zelda game on my PC...hold up.  Breath of the Wild.  Its cool and pretty.  But my monitor only does 1080p so I'm not good I guess.  I don't give a shit, I don't care about 4k...at all.  Just wanna play games.  All kinda games.  And I aint buying a new TV.  Fuck all that.

Edit - I was thinking that its also good that I wont be able to get mine till quarter 2 of 2022.  They release this year so I'll be able to see how things go several months before I decide if I want to get mine or not.