Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Yeah. I’m already so over Skyward Sword HD. The controls and mechanics are still  massively clunky and unintuitive as fuck to me. I can’t stand it 

That fucking sucks, man. I actually didn't mind them, and would even go as far to say I enjoyed the controls in the original with the Wiimote and nunchuck. But I fucking hate the tiny Joy Cons so I was hoping the non-motion controls setting would be decent. Sounds like they suck balls though.

Edit: and then there's this, of course 😂

https://kotaku.com/skyward-sword-hd-might-make-you-actually-like-motion-co-1847306361

Edited by Chadouken
5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

That fucking sucks, man. I actually didn't mind them, and would even go as far to say I enjoyed the controls in the original with the Wiimote and nunchuck. But I fucking hate the tiny Joy Cons so I was hoping the non-motion controls setting would be decent. Sounds like they suck balls though.

The game is pretty much unplayable to me because of how much I hate the modernized controls and mechanics are laid out. I really wanted to give the game a second chance as I felt it may have been one of those games where the control scheme of the Wii held it back. 

Naw. I still fucking hate the controls. It feels like I’m in a constant state of panic juggling. There was stuff I was going to hate regardless like the stamina wheel and the shield durability as I find both of those mechanics absolutely fucking stupid.

However, I could have looked past those of the controls and mechanics were done in a way that made the game tolerable to me. 

nope. They’re not 

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Edit: and then there's this, of course 😂

https://kotaku.com/skyward-sword-hd-might-make-you-actually-like-motion-co-1847306361

It's definitely weird to play on the joycons because they're really tiny. The Wiimote (especially when you had the actual Wii Motion Plus dongle) was big, long and heavy (pause).

Even though I got big hands, they're surprisingly comfortable for playing extended periods though. And the accuracy is definitely worth it. I can finally stab on demand.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

first season 1 character for Strive coming

i really hope the first character is a toxic ass zoner who fills the screen up with bullshit in the last couple of years i realized i like grapplers and also super annoyer zoners i have to know the character im playing is pissing someone off .

granblue has a mage and a nigga with a gun and neither of them focus on flinging shit. why is only anime fighter i can think of  who uses guns the way you'd think they would  is that chick in arcana hearts.

Edited by nickmanx5

I’m playing the CrisTales demo right now. It’s pretty good so far but it makes me wanna PS5. The reason being is that even on the Switch this game has no business looking as beautiful as it does. I can’t imagine how amazing it’d look on the PS5

Edited by iStu X

It's interesting to notice how much more powerful the Diablo 3 characters are now compared to the old days of this game... I remember the days of (on console version) struggling to beat Greater Rift 50-something... I just casually strolled thru a GR 80 like it was nothing, and of course, the main hardcore subset of fans would see an "80" as the chump change, since they're into GR100-something. (*one very strange difference in console and pc version, btw... is that damage is cut in half on console version for some reason.  Our damage is only the same when we pick up the "nephalem glory" spheres.)

Gears 5 had double-exp going on this weekend, so I took advantage of that for a while yesterday and today.... Mechanic is the last one I need to get to level 15 in Horde/Escape for a certain achievement, and I'm close just from a couple of Horde sessions this weekend.... this brought back some old memories of playing the engineer role in Gears 4; it was one of my top 2 favorite class roles to play back then.  This last session was pure, shameless cheap tactics...another mechanic was in the game earlier and already had sentries up, so I put up even more covering some of the enemy spawn points... then of course perked up "fortification damage" and leveled those bastards up all the way since we had plenty of energy in the box... the enemies didn't stand a chance; at that point it's like the cpu doesn't even get to really play anymore.  They spawn into the map already getting shot to shit 😆  We also had several weapon lockers at the ready as well, and a cryo cannon or 2 specifically for the Matriarch.... I always have that shit at the ready because it's such a critical direct counter to her shenanigans.  Any squad that's being serious has that cryo ready whenever a boss wave is about to happen.  In other normal scenarios, Matriarch is kind of ridiculous to fight, imo... but that weapon + any combo of Infiltrator and/or Demolition class being in the game = the bitch gets smoked FAST.

...sheeeeeittttt, will I ever get tired of Diablo and Gears' Horde mode?  haha, nope.

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, iStu X said:

I’m playing the CrisTales demo right now. It’s pretty good so far but it makes me wanna PS5. The reason being is that even on the Switch this game has no business looking as beautiful as it does. I can’t imagine how amazing it’d look on the PS5

I did know about Cris Tales until I read this post and now it's on the wishlist. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I did know about Cris Tales until I read this post and now it's on the wishlist. 

Hell yeah. The demo was really good too. You only do about 3 battles but they all give you a very good idea how the battle system works and it’s  👨‍🍳 💋. The voice acting is actual solid too. The time traveling mechanics seem really fun and creative too. I can’t wait to explore it more as you get deeper in the game. 

you can tell there’s so much love put into the game and they take so many aspects from RPG’s people have grown up with and weave them into something fun, engaging and exciting. 

Honestly, the entire demo felt like I was navigating a beautiful fantasy picture book. I’m really excited about getting it on Tuesday. 

Edited by iStu X
6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

So the Nintendo Switch Pro was complete bullshit. What will be our clickbait now?”

Jeff Grubb is pretty close to the money whenever it comes to Nintendo. He’s called a lot of Nintendo stuff correctly over the last few years. 

him and Schreier and Daniel Ahmad are pretty much the only people I actually believe when it comes to Nintendo leaks 

Edited by iStu X

Played Returnal for a bit again tonight. I made it all the way to the second biome boss and got him down to final phase before I allowed myself to be killed because it was 1 a.m. and I have to get up early with the kiddo these days. (That's what I'm telling myself)

Tonight was a little differnt. I spent it trying to collect Ether (the consumable that carries over after you die), and I discovered a couple cool new online features. There's a daily challenge that gives a pretty good reward for completing it. It's basically just a run through a biome, with some cool random modifiers. There's a leader board for high scores. I tried it once and it was pretty challenging, but awesome.

The other thing I just discovered (because I played offline for my first run) is that there are holograms of other players where they died that offer a couple options within your run. You can choose to loot their body which costs three Ether and you get whatever gear and parasites they had, or avenge them by killing a big fuck and get rewarded with Ether. It adds another element to the game.

I noticed the couple runs I did tonight were notably harder than my first one. Not sure if I had beginner's luck with drops, or I knew I had a more limited time to play tonight so didn't try as hard.

The combat is amazing. Fast pace, bullet hell in third person, and your dash gives you i frames. It's addictive as hell.

So they updated a bit of info on the Steam Deck tech specs page.

spacer.png

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)

spacer.png

So the SSD is not soldered in there.  Yeah, I'm finna keep my reservation and buy the Steam Deck.  I'll crack that sucker open and swap out the SSD the first day.😎

On my journey to try as many games as i can from different time periods i stumbled upon Bomb Squad that i tried playing with an Intellivison emulator. I have played many old games that are fun to play and i never judge a game based on graphics as even the most simple and pixelated art style can look great and play even better.  

But i do question myself.............................. WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING ? 

Based on the game's "storyline" i am supposed to defuse the bomb placed by "Boris".   

Well damn, i guess that building is shit out luck.

So...Nintendo decided they were double tap Pro rumors with a shotgun

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-oled-model-no-plans-denied-profit-margin

The statement they put out was specifically targeted at bloomberg lol.

New Skate game is not going to be at EA Play event

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-next-skate-game-will-not-be-at-ea-play-live-2021

apparently Mass Effect, Dragon Age 4 and any Star Wars game won't be there either.  Sooo...is this just going to be a Sports game fest?

Edited by Sonichuman
40 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The statement they put out was specifically targeted at bloomberg lol.

That ain't right. The Bloomberg report had the 4K stuff as a footnote on their report and only said the chipset was capable of outputting it. The other media wanted to make that the main focus.

Something I always wondered...

Konami made arcade beat em ups for TMNT, Simpsons, and X-men (between 1989-1992).

They ported the two TMNT games to NES and SNES, but not Simpsons or X-men.

I heard recently that simpsons went to DOS and Commodore 64.

But why didnt they port Simpsons/Xmen to SNES or Genesis?

Turtles in time turned out relatively good. It seems strange that they would leave easy money on the table.

8 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Something I always wondered...

Konami made arcade beat em ups for TMNT, Simpsons, and X-men (between 1989-1992).

Turtles in time turned out relatively good. It seems strange that they would leave easy money on the table.

The likeliest answer is they were only contracted to make the arcade cabinets and not console ports of the games. 

Edited by iStu X
Just now, iStu X said:

The likeliest answer is they were only contracted to make the arcade cabinets and not ports of the games. 

Yeah, could be the license they for the Simpsons Arcade game expired or was terminated or didn't allow for console ports at the time they were able to create a decent one for Genesis or SNES.

I can also see some executive saying they don't want to have the characters going around beating up folk or taking hits being another reason. If the game came to consoles you would have a much bigger audience and some parental watchdogs to deal with.

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Yeah, could be the license they for the Simpsons Arcade game expired or was terminated or didn't allow for console ports at the time they were able to create a decent one for Genesis or SNES.

I can also see some executive saying they don't want to have the characters going around beating up folk or taking hits being another reason. If the game came to consoles you would have a much bigger audience and some parental watchdogs to deal with.

The Simpsons were already dealing with parental watchdogs at the time so the game wouldn't have to worry about that. 

If an exec didn't want the Simpsons beating people up then the game wouldn't have existed at all.

50 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That ain't right. The Bloomberg report had the 4K stuff as a footnote on their report and only said the chipset was capable of outputting it. The other media wanted to make that the main focus.

Bloomberg also put out a report saying that Ninty was making a higher profit margin off of the Oled and this was also in response to that saying 'Uh...no.'

@RSG3I've been messing around with the mods for the original version of ME3 for PC. The biggest inconvenience was downloading the textures for the mod. It wasn't hard, just time consuming.  The PC modded version is better than the LE. It's not even close. Some of it's QoL stuff. When you start a mission, you get to change Shepard's armor. Before it was only Shepard's load out. When head of state is on the Normandy, they have guards. In my game right now Wrex and Victus are on the ship. So their are Turian and Krogan guards outside the war room. The maintenance shaft Joker crawls through in ME2 when the collectors attacked is there and usable.  You can upgrade the Normandy with a shooting range, so you don't have to go to the Citadel to tryout new weapons. There are others but I'd be here all day. 

They also changed the war asset cap to get the best ending. It's like half of what I was in the unmodded game at 3000. However the value of assets change as the Reapers conquer the Galaxy. One of my alliance fleets was worth 285 points. The reapers conquered the colony they were defending and they took heavy losses. Now they are worth 15 points. I'm kicking myself or not looking into this sooner. The revised ending is included by default. So no star child. Only real complaint is the dreams are still in the game, there probably is mod to take those out too.

5 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Konami did very little with the Genesis (compared to the SNES and PC Engine), and only late in it's product life cycle. 
Also licensing restrictions can prevent an Arcade Cab like Simpsons or X-men to get home console ports, as owners of the IP has a say in the matter.

TMNT got encouraged to be on as many systems as possible, so many in fact Konami outsource most of the ports to 3rd party studios, like in Europe most of the microcomputer ports of TMNT games were done by US GOLD (a British game studio). 

I think the Simpsons got a PS3 or PS4 Port at one point, no idea on the 6 player X-Men beat em up.  

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@RSG3I've been messing around with the mods for the original version of ME3 for PC. The biggest inconvenience was downloading the textures for the mod. It wasn't hard, just time consuming.  The PC modded version is better than the LE. It's not even close. Some of it's QoL stuff. When you start a mission, you get to change Shepard's armor. Before it was only Shepard's load out. When head of state is on the Normandy, they have guards. In my game right now Wrex and Victus are on the ship. So their are Turian and Krogan guards outside the war room. The maintenance shaft Joker crawls through in ME2 when the collectors attacked is there and usable.  You can upgrade the Normandy with a shooting range, so you don't have to go to the Citadel to tryout new weapons. There are others but I'd be here all day. 

They also changed the war asset cap to get the best ending. It's like half of what I was in the unmodded game at 3000. However the value of assets change as the Reapers conquer the Galaxy. One of my alliance fleets was worth 285 points. The reapers conquered the colony they were defending and they took heavy losses. Now they are worth 15 points. I'm kicking myself or not looking into this sooner. The revised ending is included by default. So no star child. Only real complaint is the dreams are still in the game, there probably is mod to take those out too.

Yea man modding ME3 makes a huge difference for sure. 

Edited by RSG3
17 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So they updated a bit of info on the Steam Deck tech specs page.

spacer.png

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)

spacer.png

So the SSD is not soldered in there.  Yeah, I'm finna keep my reservation and buy the Steam Deck.  I'll crack that sucker open and swap out the SSD the first day.😎

If I would have known that before the pre-orders dropped I would snagged one.