Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

EkUBoZ-XkAYDY8-.jpg

Woah boy, I sure hope they don't monitor party chats. My friends and I talk mad shit to each other in RL. Our fucking team is called Team8Trash 🤣

RE: fps vs graphics- I've always been in the camp that performance trumps graphic fidelity. Playing something that doesn't feel clunky and slow is much more enjoyable to me than looking pretty. I feel like we're past the point of diminishing returns when it comes to making games look better to sacrifice fps.

This really became apparent a few years ago after playing Destiny 1 every night and then taking a break from it for DOOM 2016. After beating DOOM and gong back to Destiny it felt like I was moving under water at the shitty 30 fps, and it has been a big annoyance ever since.

That's a big reason why I'm stoked to play the next Destiny expansion on PS5 at 60 fps.

And to go a little further, playing RL at 144 fps on my new gaming laptop is fucking surreal. There's a real tangible difference in how the game feels at triple digits. I can't really put it to words what it is I'm experiencing when playing with that performance boost, but it's definitely real.

Facebook is has fucked up their Quest 2 launch. Lots of users who created accounts to use the headset are getting autobanned. A few others are getting screwed by when they login with their Facebook auto creating a oculus account that gets merged with it and being unable to merge their existing Oculus accounts that contain their paid content. Lots of people stuck with a $300/$400 paperweight.  

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is like sony is begging to be sued left and right, since this is illegal pretty much everywhere. 

And this is without taking into account that this can also lead to them monitoring minors hence violating even more laws across the globe. 

Lets not Pretend that Microsoft, Google and Amazon already do this on a wide number of devices. Got a Xbox One, or use Cortana they are recording your chats and collecting data. Got a Amazon Alexia or Google Dot, they are recording you and collecting Data.

Also this is hilarious

900p@ 60 FPS for Yakuza on the Series S. 
So much about getting 60 FPS at normal resolutions. 

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Damn, Sega going hard. I copped Yakuza Zero, Vanquish, Sonic 2 and now I gotta get Nights. 

The Mega Drive and Genesis collection is 90% off right now, that 50 some genesis games for $7.43.
And the thing is Emulation, but the roms there their and useable, you just have to rename the extensions to .md to use the roms in the emulatoror Flash Cart of your choice. 

Just now, DarkSakul said:

The Mega Drive and Genesis collection is 90% off right now, that 50 some genesis games for $7.43.
And the thing is Emulation, but the roms there their and useable, you just have to rename the extensions to .md to use the roms in the emulatoror Flash Cart of your choice. 

Oh, make no mistake, I bought that collection long ago at full price. The console version of that collection is missing dozens of games from the Steam version. 

Namely, Eternal Champions. Something I wanted on there for years. It's even got online. 

Crazy that we're in 2020 and have 2 fully working versions of Eternal Champions with online netplay.... and yet no one to play with. 😔

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Lets not Pretend that Microsoft, Google and Amazon already do this on a wide number of devices. Got a Xbox One, or use Cortana they are recording your chats and collecting data. Got a Amazon Alexia or Google Dot, they are recording you and collecting Data.

Also this is hilarious

Never was fan of the Series S. I don't think this is the last game that'll been underwhelming on that console. Maybe Sony could have done something like the Series S and, because they are the market leader for traditional consoles, developers would have incentives to optimize for it. MS doesn't have that luxury. 

All I know is that games are going to do the same bull shit they did last gen with games not running at full resolution at 60 FPS. 

We had the Xbox One and even the PS4 not having games run at 60 without going into some dumb 900p mode. 

The Series S is supposed to be beefier than the Xbox One X yet it does 900p on Yakuza. 
Hopefully it's not the same deal on the PS5. But we'll see. 

24 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

All I know is that games are going to do the same bull shit they did last gen with games not running at full resolution at 60 FPS. 

We had the Xbox One and even the PS4 not having games run at 60 without going into some dumb 900p mode. 

The Series S is supposed to be beefier than the Xbox One X yet it does 900p on Yakuza. 
Hopefully it's not the same deal on the PS5. But we'll see. 

Not really. The Series S is supposed to run Series X games at 1080p. That's what it is built for. The Xbox One X actually has advantages over the Series S. The Series X on the other hand surpasses the Xbox One X in every way. The Xbox One X has more RAM than the Series S (12GB to 10GB) and more memory bandwidth (326GB/s, to 224GB/s for 8GB and 56GB/s for 2GB). That 56GB/s portion is slower than the standard Xbox One's memory bandwidth. You can't compare different architecture but the Xbox One X GPU has twice the CUs 40 to the Series S GPU's 20. It also has a higher Teraflop count 6TF to 4TF.  Backward compatible games, except for load times due to the SSD, run better on Xbox One X. In fact Series S runs BC games at Xbox One S levels. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

The S stands for Scam.

It'll only get worse from here. You're gonna have next-gen games that straight up don't work on the S and current gen ones... Well, this.

Kids getting Series S as gifts after asking for next gen consoles will react like kids that got Polystations. 🤣

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

compared to what?

Titles that are stupid imho:

Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code 

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift (most of them are silly)

Guilty Gear: Xrd REV 2

My favorite: Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]

Arcana heart 3 is pretty good, but the official name of the final version was *clears throat*

Arcana Heart 3: Love Max Six Stars Xtend!!!!!

Man... I love anime fighter names. 

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Titles that are stupid imho:

Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code 

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift (most of them are silly)

Guilty Gear: Xrd REV 2

My favorite: Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]

Arcana heart 3 is pretty good, but the official name of the final version was *clears throat*

Arcana Heart 3: Love Max Six Stars Xtend!!!!!

Man... I love anime fighter names. 

The BlazBlue ones can be pretty silly, but then the name BlazBlue really pisses me off anyway since they prnounce it Blaze, but its spelled Blaz. I still say Blahz Blue personally. 

GG Xrd Rev 2 is fine since Rev is simply short for Revision. Its GG Xrd Revision 2. Pretty simple, to the point and clear. Xrd is just the X replacing the 3 in 3rd since they didnt want to deal with the implications XXX would imply lmao. 

Edit: Now that I think about it I hate most of the way stuff is pronounced in BLazBlue. The announcer drives me batty. "Da Well of Phate is Terning"

Uhg. BlazeBlue is an overly chatty game in general, the characters never shut the fuck up. Hella annoying. 

Edited by RSG3
57 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

BlazBlue is tame compared to the rest. Franchise name: Subtitle.

Don't worry tho. Phantom Breaker Omnia will soon get a revision/sequel titled Phantom Breaker Omnia Plus Man Rage Tatsu Frames or something like that. 🤣

23 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Cause you're not a fighting game developer that spent too much time in a smoke fill, oxygen depraved arcade. Revision make way more sense 

Rev 2 is actually better than Revelator 2 tho.

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

BlazBlue is tame compared to the rest. Franchise name: Subtitle.

I guess, but when your subtitle is a bunch of random $10 words that don't make any sense, you get thrown into the bin labeled "Very silly"

15 minutes ago, Volt said:

Phantom Breaker Omnia Plus Man Rage Tatsu Frames

ooo this is fun. I'm thinking "Phantom Breaker Omnia: Tau Romance Explosion X" and X is pronounced Cross.

Everyone would call it Tre Cross instead of T-rex cause the FGC can't get anything right

Watched that Phantom Anime Omnomnom trailer.

Or more accurately, tried to. That ish is aggressively weeb and the trailer shows nothing but a close up in the same, generic faces of characters I think I've seen done better in other games.

Had to stop halfway because the music was too grating.

Fortunately, there's a full match of it out already.

Bonus generic points for ripping off Blazblue's round start phrase.

The gameplay itself is bland as it gets too. Weightless attacks, chain combos, "wtf" projectiles... Didn't bother watching all of it either.

Stay tuned for it's inevitable Discord server with 20 people at best.

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I got an email from Playstation saying they are going to remove PS3, PSP and Vita games and add-ons from the desktop and mobile versions of the PlayStation store. People will need to access the respective consoles if they want any digital content from them. 

This fucking sucks.

Yeah, I read about that the other week. It’s doo doo stupid. While I’m glad they aren’t fully shutting down those store front serves they might as well be. I still got a lot of shit I wanna buy from those systems as I do plan on getting another vita

3 hours ago, Volt said:

Stay tuned for it's inevitable Discord server with 20 people at best.

You know, i find fascinating this whole dichotomy of people wanting the genre to thrive, but moking games for being niche in an already niche genre.

You are not different to all the other dudebros that they say they dont play fgs because they are dead on arrival because they dont pull the numbers of OW or LOL.

Also, in the case of this series, iirc, not a single game has been published outside japan, since they are well aware that are a niche game in a niche genre oriented to an specific crowd, which are the fans of the properties used for this crossover.

It is also what drive the design of the game, which works more like smash where the specials and supers are done in a combination of a direction and a button.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

You know, i find fascinating this whole dichotomy of people wanting the genre to thrive, but moking games for being niche in an already niche genre.

You misunderstand me.

I mocked this game because it doesn't carve a niche for itself, at least in its promotional material.

I look at this and all I can see is a cheap knockoff. There's nothing that makes it stand out.

11 minutes ago, Volt said:

You misunderstand me.

I mocked this game because it doesn't carve a niche for itself, at least in its promotional material.

What part that this game is a fg for a prexistence audince did you missed? 

The chars and ips attached to it, not to mention the people who like the previous fgs are the audince. 

Dont conflate YOUR lack of interest with others lacking interest. 

(You dont even play the big fgs anyway, so no one is surprised you dont care about a small fg 😂

Also, poverty games have a public. 

Some dont care and have an open mind to try games outside the usual suspects.

Some are fine with games having a little jank

How do you think that Team Spooky started? 

Playing and streaming this kind of games. 

Edited by Hecatom
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Dont conflate YOUR lack of interest with others lacking interest. 

I can only talk about my interest though.

And yes, this may be a game aimed at the FGC, but my point is that even then, the marketing really isn't impressive.

Think about it, when you watched that trailer, what did you think? Why would you buy it besides: "Oh nice, new FG coming out."

It just lacks something to give it an unique flair, you know? It's like when they give an anime protag that stupid blue hair. It's important to distinguish the dude from everyone out there. 

Marketing-wise, the game lacks that.

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

I can only talk about my interest though.

And yes, this may be a game aimed at the FGC, but my point is that even then, the marketing really isn't impressive.

Think about it, when you watched that trailer, what did you think? Why would you buy it besides: "Oh nice, new FG coming out."

It just lacks something to give it an unique flair, you know? It's like when they give an anime protag that stupid blue hair. It's important to distinguish the dude from everyone out there. 

Marketing-wise, the game lacks that.

Again.

The marketing is aimed to its own niche.

Which is why they focused on the chars that are making it in.

This game is 1st and foremost aimed to fans of the Phantom Breaker ips.

This is not aimed at you, neither the west (at least the 1st trailer).

This is aimed to the fans of the visual novels and other games/mangas/animes of those ips in japan.

And in my case i will buy it because i liked the previous games 🤷‍♂️

Marketingwise the announcement is doing exactly what they want to do, let know the established fanbase that there is a new game coming.

Edited by Hecatom