Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Picked up the first two Tomb Raider reboots for like, 10 bucks. 

Started up the first one this morning just to see what it looked like after all these years... Kind of insane how different some of these games look coming back to them. That opening section is the perfect way to catapult you into the rest of this game. 

I never got to play the second or third so that should be fun. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Do you guys prefer standalone emulators or things like Retroarch? I like retroarch but getting it set up the way I want it takes so much time most of the time, I usually end up going with standalone emus. 

Stand Alone. I actually hate Retroarch. Removing it from my Vita was one of the best decisions i ever made for that device. Its ugly and annoying to deal with, setting it up is a pain, and the GUI is fucking BAAAAALLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS

Just now, M A R T I A N said:

Picked up the first two Tomb Raider reboots for like, 10 bucks. 

Started up the first one this morning just to see what it looked like after all these years... Kind of insane how different some of these games look coming back to them. That opening section is the perfect way to catapult you into the rest of this game. 

I never got to play the second or third so that should be fun. 

I have yet to play the 3rd despite owning it for a while I hear, while pretty, it's not quite as good as the first two. The first and second games are really good though. I know it's probably blasphemy but I prefer them to Uncharted. The combat in Uncharted got the job done but was never exceptional.

6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I played the first TR Reboot and loved it, bought the update and everything. Then i borrowed the second one and quit half way through...i dunno it was....boring. I didnt find it even half as compelling as the first one. I played the intro to the 3rd and that was it. 

Id say the TR Reboot (the first one) is better then UC1 and 3 but lesser then UC2 and 4 imo. Not gonna rank the other two as i never finished them. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Stand Alone. I actually hate Retroarch. Removing it from my Vita was one of the best decisions i ever made for that device. Its ugly and annoying to deal with, setting it up is a pain, and the GUI is fucking BAAAAALLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS

The Vita version was always a little rough, at least for me. It would crash a lot, the controls in the XMB would get fucked up. It was great to be able to emulate stuff on there but it was definitely not the best version. Retroarch has definitely improved a lot in terms of UI from when I first started using it several years ago but they really need a non-programmer type person helping with the UI and options. It's a great emulator but not terribly user friendly. 

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Do you guys prefer standalone emulators or things like Retroarch? I like retroarch but getting it set up the way I want it takes so much time most of the time, I usually end up going with standalone emus. 

I never actually used Retroarch. Don't even know how it works tbh. Standalones are fine for me.

Tomb Raider Reboot was everything I think people wanted tomb Raider to be. at least the first one was. But it also had a lot of faults.

Mainly Lara’s emotional and mental growth coming through borderline mutilation and sexual assault. That could have been handled way better. 

Rise of the Tomb Raider was fine, I guess. Huge slump in quality to me, imo. 

I have Shadow but haven’t bothered playing it due to how disappointed I was with Rise. The only reason I even bought it was because I forgot I had it preordered on amazon. 

also: Rambo gameplay debuts tomorrow 

Edited by iStu X
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I like Retroarch.  If you take the time to set it up the way you want you have one centralized place where you can manage multiple emulators/rom sets/saves.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

I've never played the Tomb Raider games. I played all four of the main Uncharted games just this year and loved them, though. I see you guys mentioning them together- you think I'd enjoy TR after playing Uncharted? I think I have the 2013 reboot in my library of PS+ games.

2013 TR - 70 percent action 30 percent puzzles/exploration imo

2015 Rise of Tomb Raider - 50/50 action/exploration.   The story is  bland compared to the 2013

Shadow of TR - 70 percent exploration  30 percent action.     

55 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Outer Worlds got new patch for Switch. Seems to be a serious improvement. Side note: Do we have a Nintendo thread? @VoltThis a good game to pick up if you can't grab it on PC.

Never even heard of this game. Might check it out later.

I'm just sitting here waiting for the Pokémon SwSh DLC to drop... In 11~14 hours...

Goddamnit Game Freak, I just want to give Raihan a Garchomp, is that too much to ask!?

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

That game should be included with NSO anyways. 

Did some digging. This game IS included with the JP/HK version of NSO... has been since March of last year. 

AND they released 2 special editions with added content. 

Fire emblem: Mystery of the Emblem is also on there. 

Nintendo, your sonsabitches..

angry will ferrell GIF

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You will put respect on Chad Claude's name. Golden Deer 4 Lyfe! 

I'm gonna do GD next, route kinda sounds neat tbh.

Edelgard's route is cool and the BE house is great. No regrets at all, though I'm kinda disappointed at how they kinda fumbled the ending.

Spoiler

So much for the whole "we're cooperating with those bastards for now, but we're going to get rid of them as soon as we can afford it."

Leaving the extremely hateable villains to be dealt with off-screen was dumb. Also, Dimitri wasn't batshit insane in this route, which kinda hurts his route because apparently Byleth's influence helps him overcome his grief. (I know the specifics are a bit more complex, but I haven't played that one yet.)

Outside of that? Great route.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

I'm gonna do GD next, route kinda sounds neat tbh.

Edelgard's route is cool and the BE house is great. No regrets at all, though I'm kinda disappointed at how they kinda fumbled the ending.

Hide contents

So much for the whole "we're cooperating with those bastards for now, but we're going to get rid of them as soon as we can afford it."

Leaving the extremely hateable villains to be dealt with off-screen was dumb. Also, Dimitri wasn't batshit insane in this route, which kinda hurts his route because apparently Byleth's influence helps him overcome his grief. (I know the specifics are a bit more complex, but I haven't played that one yet.)

Outside of that? Great route.

Spoiler

My main issue with Edelgard is that she's working with the people tortured her and her siblings resulting in her basically being the only heir left. Maybe she didn't realize it at first but she's too smart a woman at some point. The lore in Three Houses is deep. I won't say much more. Even after playing all four routes and the DLC, I missed a lot. While the Blue Lions route isn't close to my favorite, I can understand Dimitri losing his damned mind. I won't say more it sounds like you played the route but I'll zip my lips just in case.

Edit: Honestly given the ridiculous depth of the lore in Three House, it could have a thread of it's own. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:
  Hide contents

My main issue with Edelgard is that she's working with the people tortured her and her siblings resulting in her basically being the only heir left. Maybe she didn't realize it at first but she's too smart a woman at some point. The lore in Three Houses is deep. I won't say much more. Even after playing all four routes and the DLC, I missed a lot. While the Blue Lions route isn't close to my favorite, I can understand Dimitri losing his damned mind. I won't say more it sounds like you played the route but I'll zip my lips just in case.

Edit: Honestly given the ridiculous depth of the lore in Three House, it could have a thread of it's own. 

Spoiler

Edelgard knew, she just didn't have the resources to wage a war on both the church and the kingdom without them, so it was teeth-clenched teamwork.

What bothers me is that this particular plot point was solved off-screen. I'm told CF is the most rushed route out of the 4, so maybe it has something to do with that, but man, it's a real bad look.

5 minutes ago, Volt said:
  Hide contents

Edelgard knew, she just didn't have the resources to wage a war on both the church and the kingdom without them, so it was teeth-clenched teamwork.

What bothers me is that this particular plot point was solved off-screen. I'm told CF is the most rushed route out of the 4, so maybe it has something to do with that, but man, it's a real bad look.

Working with the people that did that to you and your family is a bad look period man. 

Spoiler

Especially when they are the root cause of everything. They virtually slaughtered all of Rhea's people/Sothis' children and if that wasn't fucked up enough, they harvested their bones and hearts to create weapons. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
13 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

This place needs Playstation thread and an Xbox thread  (need might be a strong word for this...prob should be a combo xbox and pc thread maybe)  and then we'll have the big 3 covered on this forum.

naw man we don't need all that clutter.   Forum isn't even big enough to warrant all that tbh.    Dudes already killing me with making random threads that are already on here that barely have any pages....

This was a super fun dumpster fire to watch live on my Twitter feed 

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/22/gamers-condemn-stadia-creative-director-streamers-should-pay-publishers/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This part is the best though: 

“Over the course of a few hours, Hutchinson’s handful of tweets altogether received nearly 10,000 retweets on Twitter, which significantly exceeds the combined total of retweets on atGoogleStadia tweets across the entirety of the three-day “Good Stuff” event — currently under 2,000 retweets. The intense discussion on Twitter has caused “Stadia” to become a trending topic in the United States.” 

This is the asshole who also said women aren’t worth having in video games because they’re too hard to animate and game journalists aren’t allowed to give Japanese games bad reviews because it’d come off as racist. 

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

This was super fun dumpster fire to watch live on my Twitter feed 

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/22/gamers-condemn-stadia-creative-director-streamers-should-pay-publishers/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This part is the best though: 

“Over the course of a few hours, Hutchinson’s handful of tweets altogether received nearly 10,000 retweets on Twitter, which significantly exceeds the combined total of retweets on atGoogleStadia tweets across the entirety of the three-day “Good Stuff” event — currently under 2,000 retweets. The intense discussion on Twitter has caused “Stadia” to become a trending topic in the United States.” 

This is the asshole who also said women aren’t worth having in video games because they’re too hard to animate and game journalists aren’t allowed to give Japanese games bad reviews because it’d come off ass racist. 

Yeesh...this guy.  If anything that should make this dude shut up is Among Us.   That game nobody was playing and then some streamers played that game and put it on the map and now that dev is making more money.