Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

35 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DoctaMarioTLDR Pachter is fucking dumb ass. I mean he's had some shit takes over the years but this one takes the cake. 

Based on that quote, Id have to stay this guy is on some DSP levels of bullshit. How do you legit not understand a console that lets you play the same games in several different settings? 

And nintendo has always just done their own thing which is something I appreciate about them. I love my PlayStation stuff, it's amazing gear, but it's an upgraded version of the same thing most of the time. You never know what Nintendo is going to come up with and that's part of what's so great about them. 

@DoctaMarioThe worse thing is, he literally is suggesting that Nintendo drop the Switch's key selling point. Plus if he actually looked at the sales ratio of the Switch, unlike the PS4 and Xbox One, the higher priced SKU outsells the cheaper one by a significant amount. There are people that won't buy a Switch Lite. On the flip side, people that are interested in the Switch Lite will pickup the standard model if they get a good deal or can't find a Lite. He's assessment is so stupid that it's incomprehensible that someone paid to for analysis could come up with it.

Side Note: In Japan, the market that prefers portability the standard Switch outsells the Switch Light every week. The only time it didn't was because a shortage of the standard SKU. The Switch outsold the Switch Lite in Japan by a ration of 3 to 1 last week. That's in the market where portable is king. Every time Pachter cashes his pay check he's stealing money.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DoctaMarioThe worse thing is, he literally is suggesting that Nintendo drop the Switch's key selling point. Plus if he actually looked at the sales ratio of the Switch, unlike the PS4 and Xbox One, the higher priced SKU outsells the cheaper one by a significant amount. There are people that won't buy a Switch Lite. On the flip side, people that are interested in the Switch Lite will pickup the standard model if they get a good deal or can't find a Lite. He's assessment is so stupid that it's incomprehensible that someone paid to for analysis could come up with it.

Side Note: In Japan, the market that prefers portability the standard Switch outsells the Switch Light every week. The only time it didn't was because a shortage of the standard SKU. The Switch outsold the Switch Lite in Japan by a ration of 3 to 1 last week. That's in the market where portable is king. Every time Pachter cashes his pay check he's stealing money.

I play mine 99% handheld but even I wouldn't buy a Lite because the hybrid thing is still a major selling point even when you consider tabletop mode. 

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I play mine 99% handheld but even I wouldn't buy a Lite because the hybrid thing is still a major selling point even when you consider tabletop mode. 

I used my mostly in docked. I used the portable mode when I get my car serviced or when I go to the movie theatre. So COVID has sort of wiped out my portable play time. That said, if there was TV only "Switch TV", I wouldn't be buy it. For similar reasons to you. Hybrid is a huge point for me.

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I used my mostly in docked. I used the portable mode when I get my car serviced or when I go to the movie theatre. So COVID has sort of wiped out my portable play time. That said, if there was TV only "Switch TV", I wouldn't be buy it. For similar reasons to you. Hybrid is a huge point for me.

if certain bugs weren't so damn annoying outside, I'd play Switch outside on the back or front porch...that would be nice....now the weather is getting to be "right" for it; with Fall comes those mornings and afternoons where it's kinda cold but not painfully so...but cold enough that I don't have to worry about the "out of nowhere" wasp or carpenter bee trying to sneak attack me for massive damage...

The Diablo 3 PTR [server testing thing that happens prior to the new season/patch] got extended so fortunately I have a bit more time...on Switch my demon hunter still isn't even 70; just hit level 60 a little while ago though... hoping to get some paragon levels in before this season ends.  I'm noticing now that I haven't even finished season journey on this character yet!  I spent more time on the xb1 version this time.

D3 has one of the best systems ever for customization features--- "transmogrification", where you can make any item look like something else of the same category.  I really wish this was the standard in action-rpgs.  It allows you to have your character equip whatever you think looks cool while still having the best gear you can get.  Sadly this is probably the last time we ever see this kind of thing for free.  Companies now are fully aware that customization options are something you can get away with selling as a microtransaction....even something as simple as a color dye. (e.g.--Destiny, if I recall)  D3 gives you all that shit for free.  You get to make the gear look like anything you prefer AND recolor it via the dyes.  I'd bet money that Blizzard has been sooo tempted to charge for this shit due to how the industry is now...but they wisely realize the pushback and bad press they'd get if they changed an older game like D3 to suddenly be like that where dyes and extra customizations cost extra money.  

edit---when you *don't* have a similar system in place---you get that problem of everyone's characters eventually looking the same, as people find out what gear is the top tier, "best in slot" stuff.

Edited by MillionX

I haven't finished watching this yet but so far but this is summing it up nicely, I think----spoiler warning for Vampyr, obviously:

Well, she didn't get too far into the details of certain things like I was expecting.  One of my favorite twisted moments though..

...that time I chose to feed on the young man's father.  He had no mother in the picture, so this would make him an orphan.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see his reaction to this.  Apparently that was the last straw with that district... as when I awoke the next night that whole area had descended into ruin...with everyone either missing or dead.  There's an achievement for causing the fall of a district too, so I got that as the front page news was all about "The Fall of Whitechapel" or whatever district that was.😄

edit---I figured that making the aforementioned character an orphan would be a bit more interesting, as I already had a good idea of how the dad would react if I would've killed his son....he is already aware of a vampire hunting group, if I recall, so more than likely he'd find out how the boy died and join up with those guys to find the monster that took him.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

I haven't finished watching this yet but so far but this is summing it up nicely, I think----spoiler warning for Vampyr, obviously:

Well, she didn't get too far into the details of certain things like I was expecting.  One of my favorite twisted moments though..

...that time I chose to feed on the young man's father.  He had no mother in the picture, so this would make him an orphan.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see his reaction to this.  Apparently that was the last straw with that district... as when I awoke the next night that whole area had descended into ruin...with everyone either missing or dead.  There's an achievement for causing the fall of a district too, so I got that as the front page news was all about "The Fall of Whitechapel" or whatever district that was.😄

edit---I figured that making the aforementioned character an orphan would be a bit more interesting, as I already had a good idea of how the dad would react if I would've killed his son....he is already aware of a vampire hunting group, if I recall, so more than likely he'd find out how the boy died and join up with those guys to find the monster that took him.

My last run, I tried to kill as many people as I could. Only thing is, if you kill too many people too soon, some of the higher embrace level ones die because the district will go to hell, so I think the move is to only kill a few and not sleep too much so the districts stay balanced out. 

I think I might do a pacifist run for my next time through as I've heard there are some interesting story things that happen if you embrace less than 3 or so people. That's going to be rough in terms of boss fights, though I absolutely destroyed most of them in this last run because of how OP I was after dining on the blood of fine citizens. 😂

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

As an analyst myself, it amuses me  how he could see the data and dont get the appeal of the switch and why is successful. 

54 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

My last run, I tried to kill as many people as I could. Only thing is, if you kill too many people too soon, some of the higher embrace level ones die because the district will go to hell, so I think the move is to only kill a few and not sleep too much so the districts stay balanced out. 

I think I might do a pacifist run for my next time through as I've heard there are some interesting story things that happen if you embrace less than 3 or so people. That's going to be rough in terms of boss fights, though I absolutely destroyed most of them in this last run because of how OP I was after dining on the blood of fine citizens. 😂

Yeah I realize now that sleeping was my tragic mistake there.  That allows the game to "update" various things in terms of the districts and citizens.  A good feeding/killing spree should be done all in "one night", really....make sure to just not sleep.

Man, I'd REALLY love it if VTM: Bloodlines 2 just followed Vampyr's lead, actually...3rd person view like the previous game, action with rpg traits (stats and leveling up; discipline skill-trees, etc) and plenty of social dialogue options that drastically change your interaction with characters depending on what you say or do.  This with the official lore and framework of the VTM franchise on it?  GOLD.

...I'm still wavering on which vamp clan my character will be whenever that game is finally out (hopefully before the century is over)....the front-runners at the moment are Tremere or Ventrue.

The Doom Eternal DLC arrived sooner than what I was expecting... I still haven't finished the campaign yet!

9 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Yeah I realize now that sleeping was my tragic mistake there.  That allows the game to "update" various things in terms of the districts and citizens.  A good feeding/killing spree should be done all in "one night", really....make sure to just not sleep.

Man, I'd REALLY love it if VTM: Bloodlines 2 just followed Vampyr's lead, actually...3rd person view like the previous game, action with rpg traits (stats and leveling up; discipline skill-trees, etc) and plenty of social dialogue options that drastically change your interaction with characters depending on what you say or do.  This with the official lore and framework of the VTM franchise on it?  GOLD.

...I'm still wavering on which vamp clan my character will be whenever that game is finally out (hopefully before the century is over)....the front-runners at the moment are Tremere or Ventrue.

The Doom Eternal DLC arrived sooner than what I was expecting... I still haven't finished the campaign yet!

How does VTM work? Is it more of an RPG?

Vampire the Masquerade is the table-top RPG from "World of Darkness" -- https://www.worldofdarkness.com/

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Caine

The basic thing is that players assume the role of vampires; there's a LOT of juicy lore in it, of course...just about every supernatural power; VtM has it covered in the variety of "clans" the vampires are part of....clans indicate the blood lineage:

Caine (yep, the Biblical Cain) -->> sired 3 people long ago; Zillah, Irad and Enoch...the 2nd Generation.  They went on to sire 13 who are the 3rd generation, and those would be the origin point for the 13 "clans" of vampires from then to modern times.  (*note---but one clan "Tremere" came to being a clan in a different way; their founder consumed or "diablerized" one of these 13 "Antediluvians" to achieve immortality for himself and the rest of his clan of mages.) They have various powers and a particular curse depending on which clan a vampire is part of.  As in most lore, the older one is the more powerful they are, so naturally Caine himself and anyone of the 2nd or 3rd gen would be like gods compared to anyone from modern times.  There's so much lore to dig into and play with in that franchise; I love it.  I've never actually played the table-top game though....but yeah this is the basis for 2 recent games and the "VtM: Bloodlines" franchise. (and there was an older pc game called "VTM: Redemption")

In terms of an action-oriented videogame, there has only been the Redemption and Bloodlines games so far.

edit---World of Darkness also has a Werewolf game coming next year, and another VtM game besides Bloodlines 2 called "Swansong"; they're finally trying to push some stuff seriously into the video games industry lately.  Oh yeah and there's a "Wraith" VR game as well.

of the clans, my favorites are Lasombra, Tremere, Tzimisce, Nosferatu and Ventrue

edit 2--- the clans:

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Clan_(VTM)

From the Dark Medieval into the modern nights, the thirteen recognized clans are:

• Clan Banu Haqim (formerly Assamite) - silent masters of assassination, killing for hire and collecting blood for rituals to bring them closer to their progenitor.
  • Clan Brujah - once philosopher-kings of an ancient civilization, but are now rebels and rogues with a fearsome inclination toward frenzy.
  • Clan Gangrel - bestial and untamed, often coming to resemble the animals over which they demonstrate mastery.
  • Clan Hecata (both subsumes and replaces Clan Cappadocian and Clan Giovanni) - an insular, extended family of vampires who practice the art of commanding the dead while commanding global finances.
  • Clan Lasombra - proud nobles who command the very essence of darkness and shadow — to the point of worshipping it, some say.
  • Clan Malkavian - a clan fractured by madness, each member irrevocably suffering under the yoke of insanity.
  • Clan Ministry (formerly Followers of Set) - a religious movement that evangelizes the example of a chthonic god, while seeking out the world’s secret places and protecting ancient artifacts.
  • Clan Nosferatu - hideously disfigured by the Embrace, so they keep to the sewers shadows and traffic in the secrets they collect.
  • Clan Ravnos - nomads and tricksters who can force the mind to see what isn’t there, though they are slaves to the vices they indulge in.
  • Clan Toreador - Cainites that enjoy every sensual pleasure the world has to offer, idolizing physical beauty and the adoration of their thralls.
  • Clan Tremere - vampiric sorcerers that wield the supernatural power of their past as a hermetic house, though they became vampires through treachery and artifice.
  • Clan Tzimisce - eldritch Old World lords who have little in common with the mortal world and can manipulate flesh and bone at a whim.
  • Clan Ventrue - observe the noblesse oblige of vampire society, though their entitlement and greed encourages them to seek ever more at the expense of others.
Edited by MillionX

So, something I've kinda kept hidden ... I bought a Stadia controller last month to give the service a fair shot. I'll get into more detail in the Technology thread, but I ended up cancelling my Pro-level subscription to the service over monetary issues (tl;dr: money was coming out of our shared checking acct, not the business acct). Couple of decent games on the service, but I wish the service was kinda cheaper/could bundle it with other Google services (Youtube Premium being chief amongst them) to save money on the service.

Among Us gets hacked by Trump Supporter 3 days after AoC plays Among Us with youtubers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2020/10/23/among-us-suffers-attack-by-apparent-pro-trump-hacker-three-days-after-aocs-hit-twitch-rally/#e37e53a65a08

So...AoC plays the game with people and the thought process here was to ruin the game by spamming the chats for everyone playing with Trump support.  I don't think this is going to work out in your favor chief.

I honestly forgot all about Pacher (like many of you probably did) until he poked his head out of the ground with this moronic take. Outside of the Wii, and just handhelds the Switch has already outsold every Nintendo system. Wouldn't surprise me if the Switch did overtake the Wii in lifetime sales. Yeah, Pacher has some dumb stuff before but saying the Switch should get rid of the very thing that made it such a huge success is some S++ levels of foolery.

y'know, at this point I may as well call Switch my absolute favorite console of all time.  There is the incredible lineup of games that's been hot since launch (including some big deals for me like Vampyr, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dead Cells, Bayonetta 1 & 2 and some Devil May Cry action!),  a perfect  controller (the "pro"), and that hybrid functionality that other systems just don't have at all...  really, the only complaints I have are little nitpicks, like it would be nice to have a better online like Xbox Live and an achievement system.  That hybrid functionality goes such a long way too---- previous "GOATs" to me were SNES and the 360 (*despite being such a poorly-constructed piece of junk in terms of longevity---that's a major flaw but you can't deny how insane 360's library of games is.) and strong contender Dreamcast.... but could I take those with me to work or school and play them in a break room without hassle?  Could I fit those other legendary systems into my pocket and have it ready when at the car dealership waiting on an oil change/servicing?  ...or in the waiting room at the dentist office?  ...all while instantly resuming from the exact point I left off in a game since it naturally has a "standby" mode?  Nope.

Sadly, we should enjoy this greatness as much as possible while it lasts....because knowing how Nintendo is about certain things.. the Switch's successor will probably be something entirely different and thus generally inferior to the legendary Switch just on concept alone.

Edited by MillionX

sheeeittt, I'm still feeling like a newbie in that game myself... I've just been going with whatever shows up, though I usually prefer whatever is boosting my regular attack....in most games I'm a shameless damage whore... I usually want to stack as much attack or spell damage as possible... glass cannon style all day for me.  Things that boost "cast" aren't really jumping out at me as much.  I do like that one from Zeus that makes lightning strikes appear when you dash though.

I haven't played that game in a while...probably getting back to it later today.  I've still only managed to beat Megaera a few times.

edit--ah, I had to look it up; yeah in that case I've been going with "attack inflicts hangover" (drunken strike)...continuing the damage on them after a regular hit.

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, MillionX said:

y'know, at this point I may as well call Switch my absolute favorite console of all time.  There is the incredible lineup of games that's been hot since launch (including some big deals for me like Vampyr, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dead Cells, Bayonetta 1 & 2 and some Devil May Cry action!),  a perfect  controller (the "pro"), and that hybrid functionality that other systems just don't have at all...  really, the only complaints I have are little nitpicks, like it would be nice to have a better online like Xbox Live and an achievement system.  That hybrid functionality goes such a long way too---- previous "GOATs" to me were SNES and the 360 (*despite being such a poorly-constructed piece of junk in terms of longevity---that's a major flaw but you can't deny how insane 360's library of games is.) and strong contender Dreamcast.... but could I take those with me to work or school and play them in a break room without hassle?  Could I fit those other legendary systems into my pocket and have it ready when at the car dealership waiting on an oil change/servicing?  ...or in the waiting room at the dentist office?  ...all while instantly resuming from the exact point I left off in a game since it naturally has a "standby" mode?  Nope.

Sadly, we should enjoy this greatness as much as possible while it lasts....because knowing how Nintendo is about certain things.. the Switch's successor will probably be something entirely different and thus generally inferior to the legendary Switch just on concept alone.

Real talk, it's hard to even imagine them topping the Switch.

Sure, it's Nintendo, they'll probably come up with something good, but like, the hybrid functionality gotta be a mainstay from now on. It's absolutely insane.

The Latest Patch For The Last of Us Remastered Reduced Loading Times By Over 70% On PS4

How much faster? A LOT. YouTuber ElAnalistaDeBits thankfully uploaded a video comparing the pre-patch and post-patch versions of Last of Us Remastered and the results are sort of hard to believe. For example, before the patch the very first loading screen, before you start even the game, took just over a minute and a half. Now, that same loading sequence takes less than 14 seconds.

Edited by AriesWarlock
43 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

The Latest Patch For The Last of Us Remastered Reduced Loading Times By Over 70% On PS4

How much faster? A LOT. YouTuber ElAnalistaDeBits thankfully uploaded a video comparing the pre-patch and post-patch versions of Last of Us Remastered and the results are sort of hard to believe. For example, before the patch the very first loading screen, before you start even the game, took just over a minute and a half. Now, that same loading sequence takes less than 14 seconds.

This is sexy AF.  This impresses me more than anything right now.

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

How interesting. I'd love to see them go back and do this with other PS4 games. I'm reminded of the horrible load times when Bloodborne launched, and how they improved them shortly after. This shows even still there's room for improvement. 

I think this is gonna be one of the biggest differences between this Gen and next gen. Loading times are important. It's not only essential in sustaining whatever immersion a game might be trying to impart, but it's also hella important for fighting games too. Tekken has a HUGE problem with this, even on PC and when downloaded to an SSD. Matches online take triple the amount of time they should because the loading screens are 3 times as long as the actual match itself. It breaks the entire flow of a set and has you sitting around more than playing. 

Meanwhile, I've been getting into Melty Blood lately (a 20 year old game) and that game understands everything a player could want. Instantaneous load times, skippable versus screen and skippable intros, a quick and flashy UI, you name it. All that stuff seems so tertiary to the actual gameplay until you realize how much time you actually have to spend with all those different menus. 

Looking at the PS5 dashboard, seeing how quickly you get in and out of games, and seeing how fast those games load up are some of the most exciting things to me about next gen right now. 

I finally picked up Control, I've played it maybe 2 hours so far. 

Game is cryptic as hell, maybe even overly so, but I'm really digging it so far. I'm definitely intrigued to learn what's really going on. Jesse isn't a terribly interesting character to me yet but, I'm not that far in so maybe something changes. 

Visually it's a pretty remarkable game. It's just plain gorgeous, and drips with style. The way a letterhead pops up in plain white text over the whole screen when you enter a new area, or the usage of lighting and minimalistic designs to subtly change and affect the atmosphere. The map really does feel alive. I also just love the little shit like the clever usage of filters or all the crazy destruction physics that play out as you slam a telekinetic sledgehammer into an office desk. 

Not much to say in the way of music, seems kind of dry in that department so far but I understand that's probably an artistic choice. 

Game is neat. 🙂

back into Diablo 3...

I made yet another season character just to see how fast I could get it to level 70 again, with the power-leveling gear I have...

"gem of ease" -bonus xp, and it can remove the "level 70" requirement from a level 70 weapon....so theoretically, if you have lots of "ease" gems stockpiled, you could make an entire set of level 70 items as equippable for a level 1 character! 😄  I had 2 or 3 so I used 1 to remove the level requirement for some ancient legendary boots...then made a primal ancient legendary wand that way too, then I was left with my 3rd one that I slotted into that wand to grant the huge bonus xp.  On top of this, I have that legendary helm that gives you +25% bonus xp; I think that was a pre-order item; it's there with every new character I make.  

...but I went even further with this.  I had a "Legacy of Dreams" gem as well, which grants a big attack and defense bonus for NOT wearing any set items....and I already had some legendaries ready to go for this new character. (*it's something crazy like +115% damage boost *per* legendary item; twice the bonus for ancient legendary stuff...so this helped big time with damage.)

As usual, the results were just silly---I took her straight into Torment 6 difficulty.... and in just 2 or 3 minutes , and a couple of monster kills....this character jumped from level 1 to level 52🤣  You also have to be quick about it anyway and hopefully jump into a map with high density of monsters... if you give the game time to "catch up" to you with re-balancing things and difficulty, the monsters will be a bit tougher to kill, thus slowing your insane leveling shenanigans.  That was yesterday; of course she's 70 now today...things naturally slowed down a bit in the 60s.  I'm still on that Legacy of Dreams gem and managed to finish that challenge just now for doing Greater Rift 45 with no set items equipped...it was a rough go at it though, as I was still not on a full set of level 70 gear yet... one or 2 of my items was still level 61 yellows.  She has all legendaries now so things are really poppin now due to the Dreams gem bonus working with that.

edit--really, it always gets a laugh out of me to see how fast you can power-level in this game... because it's all legit, yet to those who don't know the game, it all goes by so fast one might assume the player is cheating somehow.  I've never played a game where it was this easy to power-level a character with purely "legit" methods.  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Game is cryptic as hell, maybe even overly so, but I'm really digging it so far. I'm definitely intrigued to learn what's really going on. Jesse isn't a terribly interesting character to me yet but, I'm not that far in so maybe something changes

I'm a couple of hours into the game and Jesse hasn't grown on me at all. The NPCs you meet in the game got more character to them than her. 

20 hours ago, Angel said:

Depends on the weapon and if you have a build in mind. If it’s a fast attack weapon like the fists, I like Dionysus on my attack. If I’m using Chiron aspect bow, I love putting the hangover effect on the special. Either way, my goal is to stack as many hangover effects as possible on the enemy. 

On a semi related note, in general there are curse type (Dionysus, Ares, etc) and percentage increase + effect type (Zeus, Artemis) of attack/special boons. 

In each run, you can normally see four Gods. If you pick a God’s item at the start, then you’re guaranteed to see that God as part of those four with the others being random. However, you can change this if you select a different God’s item in between areas from the ones you already saw. The exception is Hermes who doesn’t count towards the total number. 

Edited by JGreen

Started RE7 last night and I've come to the conclusion that Ethan is some sort of lab made super soldier. 

The man doesn't even blink when there's bits of cow strung up in a very foreboding and ominous pattern, takes getting his arm chopped off better than most people handle a punch, gets stabbed in the face, hand and shoulder, and this is all in the first hour of the game. 

The man's motivation is really perplexing to me. He says himself after getting the email from Mia that this might be a prank, but they make it seem like he loves his wife so much that he's willing to risk it.

But, roughly *checks watch* 45 seconds after being reunited with his wife, he trying to kill her with an axe, then when he finds a gun he says "Ok, Fine" in a tone that says, "I guess I gotta go shoot my wife in the face!"

Shit is wild 

Edited by KingTubb
29 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

The man doesn't even blink when there's bits of cow strung up in a very foreboding and ominous pattern, takes getting his arm chopped off better than most people handle a punch, gets stabbed in the face, hand and shoulder, and this is all in the first hour of the game. 

It's possible for his leg to get chopped off as well. He just pours the healing item to reattach it and walks it off.

Edited by Hawkingbird