Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

I want to believe, too.

But this has become trying to turn a hoe into a housewife levels of ignoring the obvious.

Eh it is what it is. I'm not really gonna think anything like that till I have it and play it. CDPR  does have a history of delaying shit. This is a new one for sure. 

13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Ikaruga

The difference between the standard and Hypergun edition is 1 penny 🤣

I loved this title. Games like this I've been purchasing for the Switch instead of the PS4. As a side, I just started playing Dead Cells. This is my first Rogue title. I like it, but the complete restart element is something that will take some getting used to. 

What are you guys thoughts on My Friend Pedro?

Edited by OPTIMUS124

World of Horror looks rad. I've seen a couple of vids about it, love the influences. I'm also a big fan of Puppet Combo games. They are really cheap looking but they have just the right feel. Like if a cheap 70s horror movie got turned into a PS1 game.

Don't have any spooky games lined up - still barreling through FF14, on Shadowbringers which is at least pretty Berserk-ish so there is some definite horror going on - but in the spirit of the season I'll crack open some of the Junji Ito I've been collecting and re-read some favorites. Been looking for an excuse to dive into Uzumaki again.

Thinking about it, you may have inspired me to fire up RE2R again.

14 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Decided to just stream this whole song dang game. RE7 stream:

https://twitch.tv/king_tubb

Man I didn't even know you had a Twitch channel.

Drop me an @ on Discord next time you stream. I'll show up for purely supportive reasons, RE7 has me shook af just watching it. 🤣

Literally couldn't watch over 10 minutes of a run. These spooky games make me look like a whole bitch fr. 😭

20 minutes ago, Volt said:

Drop me an @ on Discord next time you stream

Planning on streaming tonight, I'll hit you up. 

I'm streaming it for my buddy who loves watching scary video games lol. The only other guy that watches regularly is my homie that just had a kid and falls asleep during each stream🤣

Edited by KingTubb
21 minutes ago, Angel said:

Everytime I hear about devs or anybody in any entertainment industry getting death threats over trivial ass shit it triggers TF out of me.  These people need to have death threats thrown at them from random people for dumb shit so they can get a taste of what that feels like.

10 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I have it on Switch, too.

But I've yet to play it.

I bought it because I heard it was basically a bug Igavania.

More of a Bug Metroid. There is no loot or exp system, thus disqualifying it from being an Igavania...imo anyway.

Only game Ive played that actually captures that "Souls" feel that everyone tried to imitate but tends to fall short on. Not Hollow Knight. Its really good. Quite hard. Pretty rewarding.

Edited by RSG3
Just now, JHDK said:

Does it at least have Metroid style loot?

If by that you mean abilities that expand your move set for combat and exploration then yes it has that. It doesn't have Gear outside of Charms that are accessories that can be mixed and matched for unique performance output and they aren't drops, you find them or buy them from the town shop.

No armor, no weapons (You can upgrade your weapon tho) no exp points to lvl up with.

Just now, RSG3 said:

If by that you mean abilities that expand your move set for combat and exploration then yes it has that. It doesn't have Gear outside of Charms that are accessories that can be mixed and matched for unique performance output and they aren't drops, you find them or buy them from the town shop.

No armor, no weapons (You can upgrade your weapon tho) no exp points to lvl up with.

Oh. Damn. I was hoping for at least weapons and whatnot.

8 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Oh. Damn. I was hoping for at least weapons and whatnot.

Nope. Its Metroid with a dash of Souls. It uses Souls "Drop your currency on death" system, the Bonfire Checkpoint System (Bus Benches here) as well as the style of mood, atmosphere and story telling style in that the world is dead, everythings depressing, and you need to piece the narrative together through bits of dialogue, environmental hints and lore and shit. Otherwise the gameplay loop is Metroid where in you explore and fight to find abilities and skills that expand where you can explore and fight.

If you want an Igavania i recommend Bloodstained Ritual of the Night instead. That will scratch that Igavania Grind itch. Hollow Knight got none of that.

Why i dont like the term Metroidvania. Its too vague and non descript to accuratly describe these games to the people looking for them. Hollow Knight and Bloodstained get dumped into the same genre even tho one is an adventure game and the other is an adventure/RPG. I know we are only tacking one more genre onto the word Adventure but that fuckin RPG tag makes it a completely different experience and game imo.

Edited by RSG3
45 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Metroidvania as a genre descriptor is about as useful as the term "Doom-clone", imo. 

I always interpreted it literally. That helps in an definition. So, to me, it means a game that literally has game systems very much directly similar to Symphony of the Night.

It is like if a game is dubbed an "Arcade Racer", I expect something in the vein of Sega Rally. If a game such as Mario Kart, or Burnout, uses that as part of it's description, to describe its general feel, I find it is accurate and perfectly acceptable. Or if a game is dubbed a Side-Scrolling Beat 'em Up, I expect something akin to Double Dragon. Somethimg like Dragon's Crown, or Shadow over Mystra incorporating that into its description is also acceptable.

Using bullshit allusions invoking the name of a game such as Dark Souls to inspire purchases of something rather dissimilar, such as Nioh, is pathetic, and if there were any justice in the world would lead to the hiring of a more scrupulous marketing team. I like Nioh. But it could be called a deliberate, slow-paced, punishing, low enemy count loot-based game with a stamina bar, and that would be entirely more accurate. Not pithy, by any means... but a whole lot more accurate than calling it a game in the same vein as Dark Souls.

Edited by JHDK
autocorrect is a can't <sic>