Stage Select
Darc_Requiem

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Posted (edited)

yeah it will be pricey, no doubt... but if the lineup of games is anything decent I'm down for this.  I was just commenting in some other thread recently about how great it would be if Switch had some real direct competition with the "hybrid system" idea....and here we go.  At least for me, this is the ideal... systems that can be played anywhere as a self-contained unit....OR plugged up to a monitor at home like a normal console/computer.  It's infinitely more convenient and interesting/fun, at least to me.

...every day since Switch came out, I've enjoyed the fact that I can play it at home, or sitting in the car at work, or while waiting on the car's oil change at the shop, or in the waiting room at the dentist office, or the front porch, or at a restaurant, etc. etc. etc.

haha, and nice to see their kickstand isn't complete wack ass horseshit like Nintendo's stand 😄

Edited by MillionX

11 minutes ago, MillionX said:

yeah it will be pricey, no doubt... but if the lineup of games is anything decent I'm down for this.  I was just commenting in some other thread recently about how great it would be if Switch had some real direct competition with the "hybrid system" idea....and here we go.  At least for me, this is the ideal... systems that can be played anywhere as a self-contained unit....OR plugged up to a monitor at home like a normal console/computer.  It's infinitely more convenient and interesting/fun, at least to me.

...every day since Switch came out, I've enjoyed the fact that I can play it at home, or sitting in the car at work, or while waiting on the car's oil change at the shop, or in the waiting room at the dentist office, or the front porch, or at a restaurant, etc. etc. etc.

haha, and nice to see their kickstand isn't complete wack ass horseshit like Nintendo's stand 😄

I know you love your portables but I'm not a fan of portable PCs, laptops included.

PC's greatest strength is being modular and powerful.  When you cram it into a small form factor like that you're going to be making some sacrifices that might not be worth it.   Once you get to a size smaller than a shoebox you start having major trade-offs. I can't see how that thing's battery life could possibly be good while at the same time having the level of power you'd want.

Idk I could be wrong and it'll be great -- but I doubt it.  I'd stick with the Switch for now if you're going to be mostly portable.

7 hours ago, misterBee said:

I don't recall Witcher 3 ever giving me issues with combat...pretty much did whatever I wanted to do every time.

Witcher 1 on the other hand...I still don't know how to attack...

Yeah I tried to play the older games and said fuck it.  Like even witcher 3 if you attack from a certain distance you get that twirl shit but when I was playing witcher 2 that shit was just at random....like really?    They need to outsource their combat lol, have platinum do that ish.    Your attacks should never be random.  Idgaf if it is emulating a table top game.   That cyberpunk boss fight looked like ass, boss just sitting there as you dumped 100 rounds into it.....total snooze fest.   Looks like it was made for this new generation of players that think having infinite continues in cuphead qualifies as hard XD

Is Stadia's sales worse than Ouya? I don't know the exact numbers but it seems like it. I still can't believe Razer ever bought Ouya...

not sure... I remember laughing about a certain friend (the one that always has poor taste in most things) that eagerly purchased an Ouya...fast forward to now....the guy probably forgot he ever owned it, actually.

Interesting...from this website (article from July 2013):

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/162077-ouya-game-sales-figures-released-it-doesnt-look-good-for-android-console-gaming 

"Ouya has not released how many consoles have sold at retail, but have said on numerous occasions that they have sold out. From the Kickstarter campaign, though, we can see that a little over 58,000 consoles were ordered. From just the Kickstarter campaign, only 3.4% of the Ouya audience bought TowerFall, the console’s killer app. If the console sold as well at retail as Ouya claims, then that very tiny percent is much smaller. Nimble Quest, a freemium RPG take on the classic game Snake, has been downloaded a little over 6,500 times, but has only managed 122 in-game purchases, generating $427 in net profit. Organ Trail, the humorously morbid take on The Oregon Trail, has been downloaded 13,112 times, but has only made 501 sales. Hidden in Plain Sight, a cross between SpyParty and the multiplayer in Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, employed a Humble Indie Bundle style pay-what-you-want system and made around $4,300 on 1,900 purchases."

Posted (edited)

Is this by any chance the guy you used to tell us stories about on SRK... the one who would make really bad decision like leave his 360 on for days to "break it in" and constantly pay to change his gamertag?  lol, iirc you used to refer to him as "dumbass".

Edited by Zero

On 1/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, Zero said:

Is Stadia's sales worse than Ouya? I don't know the exact numbers but it seems like it. I still can't believe Razer ever bought Ouya...

Stadia probably sold more than Ouya, simply due to the fact that it's Google putting it out and the implications the tech has for video games in general.  If Stadia worked well it would truly be revolutionary and change the way games are played/developed.

Ouya was just a cheap Android box put out by a small company.  Not even in the same league really.

I don't know how Alienware could ever put this into market without getting a lawsuit from Nintendo. I actually like it, but I'm sure it will cost more than I would care to pay for it. 

Edited by Zero

At the "low" end it would probably be at least 500 or 600 bucks... I'd still be willing to get it.  The "hybrid console" is what I wish the future of gaming was destined for.... I can't say enough good things about that concept of being able to play the same quality games literally anywhere.

haha, I love that they made sure to outdo them on the kickstand for sure... that stand on the back of it is FAR superior to the raggedy little shit the Switch has back there. 😄  Nintendo really should be ashamed of that 1 aspect of the system....reminds me---I recently had to put tape on mine since it no longer fully closed...it would just swing loose every time at this point.

Edited by MillionX

such a good run in Dead Cells right now... though no real hope of beating Very Hard still... the damage is insane though with Brutality---let's see...I have 25 points in that, and all S-rank gear as usual.  Vorpan VI-S is doing 12,652 dps and that's non-critical!  Critical - 22,786 dps + various stats, it launches a grenade and freezes nearby enemies...then I have passives and Corrupted Power to boost the damage even further.  It's delicious.

this reminds me---I was thinking about that question---What is the hardest game you've ever played?
I'd say Dead Cells ranks pretty damn high on the list, actually.....definitely the #1 of this modern era....and of all of them it's the hardest game that's *still an enjoyable experience*.  Usually a super-hard game is also terrible, imo.

The absolute #1 of all time though is still the original Battletoads on NES.  Even now in 2020, I will forever doubt anyone who CLAIMS they easily beat that game back then when it was new (and thus...before emulators and save-states could be abused...before the giant knowledge-base that is the internet and youtube, etc.).  If someone back then made the claim I'd seriously just laugh in the person's face, as they've just told the biggest damn lie ever heard. 

Edited by MillionX

holy shit, man... they're definitely trying to pull me back in with THIS... 😮

...and hell yeah...apparently the Vampire LORD form is coming back?!?! BRUH... 

this was a nitpick of mine in ESO... the vamps just aren't all that interesting in terms of abilities.  The Skyrim "Volkihar" vampires introduced by the Dawnguard DLC were much more interesting to me because they had that monstrous transformation....and there was no limitation on it; you could change into your "Lord" form and just stay that way indefinitely if you wanted to....and it was deliciously overpowered.

Edited by MillionX

yeah, from the release date I'd say Stadia will cease to exist in about 1 year.  It definitely won't make it to 2....I keep intending to watch that YongYea vid but keep getting sidetracked since youtube's recommendations are just too damn good (every time I hit up youtube...in 2 seconds I already have about 5 youtube tabs open....it quickly spirals out of control. 😔 )

One of Doc's latest Dead Cells vids

lately I've been going for brutality builds with "Phaser" teleport + the "Killer Instinct" passive, which cuts some cooldown time when you kill things...the combo of these things is ridiculous... Phaser already has a very short cooldown...and "killer instinct" with any points in brutality quickly cuts it down to *nothing*.....so the result is that you can end up spamming *teleport,kill,teleport,kill,teleport,kill* thru entire stages of enemies....it's beautiful.  It naturally works well to pair this with the Assassin's Dagger, since the teleport puts you behind enemies...so you're always getting critical hits with the dagger that way.  The damage further stacks up from having the brutality "Combo" passive on (+ the "phaser" adds damage to the next melee hit that happens after using it)

Edited by MillionX

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/warhammer-40000-space-wolf-switch/

Quick warning---this game Warhammer Space Wolf requires an internet connection to play...just throwing out that warning for anyone who is also repulsed by such nonsense.  Fortunately I wouldn't have bought it anyway since it's turn-based action going on there, but I got this info from another forum.  The eShop description doesn't mention it anywhere, so some players are finding out the hard way. (hooray for good ol' false/misleading advertising)

Edited by MillionX

This was my favorite game on the 2600 way back then...  even at the time it blew me away that this system could handle this game...there's sections where you are flying around over the planet's surface, and others where you are in space... and that effect when you went hyperspeed was awesome.... it was clearly beyond most other Atari games by a longshot:

people really be into KH and Final fantasy but haven't played any FF game prior to FF8

Drooling over sephiroth but never even played the game he was in XD

DLC for Code Vein....and so it has begun..

I'm still not even close to being finished with the story though... just recently beat the tall "pole-dancer" boss....I just barely made it despite being pretty high level for where I am, imo....also I can't give up the great sword yet...the damage you get with that is delicious.

Edited by MillionX

holy crap Blizzard fuckin up AGAIN

^I'm not even a fan of this franchise; I'm just here to laugh at yet another major game company fucking something up 😄

More importantly though....hell YEAH it's such a good time for vampire fans in the games industry...here's ANOTHER ONE 

Delicious.

EDIT---BLOODLINES 2 is in Alpha now

https://www.bloodlines2.com/en/dev-diary-9-new-year-new-milestone?fbclid=IwAR2rEjCEPyGYHN9PZIxliUEy7Z81iYRcUTbarRgD1hnH1-M7BVWpwqYr0NE

Edited by MillionX

On 1/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, Angel said:

people really be into KH and Final fantasy but haven't played any FF game prior to FF8

Drooling over sephiroth but never even played the game he was in XD

I bet a lot of people who are into it weren't even BORN when those games came out...

We're old. 😢