Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

15 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

What's a game you wish you could experience again for the first time?

Resident Evil 4 or 2.

Seeing the licker walk across a window for the first time again, or the first village encounter with fresh eyes was amazing.

Bioshock was outstanding the first time around too

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Resident Evil 4 or 2.

Seeing the licker walk across a window for the first time again, or the first village encounter with fresh eyes was amazing.

Bioshock was outstanding the first time around too

RE2:R has made me a believer in properly done remakes.

After S+ing all 4 scenarios on Hardcore, I am now of the opinion that it is by far and away the single best RE ever made. And one of the best games of this entire generation.

10 minutes ago, JHDK said:

the single best RE ever made.

I'd agree, and that's saying something cause they're all pretty darn good. 

I'm nervous about this RE4 remake cause that game is "perfect" imho. It's exactly what it was intended to be. A coat of fresh paint, or a reimaging of it, could actually be a detriment. 

RE4 defines the modern over-the-shoulder action game, and is still a mechanical masterpiece. If they bungle that, the whole thing could come crashing down. 

But so far, so good. Capcom has been knocking it out of the park with the remakes and everything RE since 7. 

Edit: I thought you said best REmake. I'd still put original 2 and 4 above REmake 2 

Edited by KingTubb
59 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I'd agree, and that's saying something cause they're all pretty darn good. 

I'm nervous about this RE4 remake cause that game is "perfect" imho. It's exactly what it was intended to be. A coat of fresh paint, or a reimaging of it, could actually be a detriment. 

RE4 defines the modern over-the-shoulder action game, and is still a mechanical masterpiece. If they bungle that, the whole thing could come crashing down. 

But so far, so good. Capcom has been knocking it out of the park with the remakes and everything RE since 7. 

Edit: I thought you said best REmake. I'd still put original 2 and 4 above REmake 2 

I honestly think that O. 2 didn't age nearly as well as my previous prescription for nostalgia glasses would have led me to believe.

RE4 is phenomenal. But those goddammit QTEs, unless cheesed, are utter and complete bullshit, and really have no place in the game, imo.

But what makes RE2:R the better game, once again, in my opinion, is the legitimate scarcity of resources, coupled with the oppressive claustrophobia.

Merchant upgrades really ameliorated any and all sense of fear of running out of bam-bam, in RE4, and with it, a huge portion of the tension - even on the first playthrough.

Edited by JHDK
Fuck Kollean sperruchekku.

I think most the games I wish I could experience for the first time again are games I’ve played but didn’t play in the time/era that made them feel so special. 

FF6 and LttP are the best examples I can think of at the moment. I played six waaaay after release and thought the game was trash. I played LttP way after the fact too and while I 100% agree it’s a great game I just don’t really understand why people think it’s such a definitive Zelda title. 

but I also feel if I played those games upon their original release I’d be blinded by nostalgia like most people are regarding those games. 

Edited by iStu X
36 minutes ago, JHDK said:

is the legitimate scarcity of resources, coupled with the oppressive claustrophobia.

Apples to oranges my guy. re4 is an action game, REmake 2 is a "survival-horror-lite" game imho. Honestly, I didn't have any issues with resources in REmake 2, there's ammo everywhere, especially when you factor in gunpowder. 

O.RE2 is a better survival horror game for me (i've played it recently) cause combat is HARD and is mostly avoided to conserve ammo and stay alive. 

The only way RE2 makes the combat "hard" is by throwing bullet sponges at you, or bullshit situations.

I had a hallway with 2 lickers, then Mr. X busts in and all hell breaks lose, for example. 

Still an amazing game overall, totally see how you give it the "best in the series" crown. 

22 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Apples to oranges my guy. re4 is an action game, REmake 2 is a "survival-horror-lite" game imho. Honestly, I didn't have any issues with resources in REmake 2, there's ammo everywhere, especially when you factor in gunpowder. 

O.RE2 is a better survival horror game for me (i've played it recently) cause combat is HARD and is mostly avoided to conserve ammo and stay alive. 

The only way RE2 makes the combat "hard" is by throwing bullet sponges at you, or bullshit situations.

I had a hallway with 2 lickers, then Mr. X busts in and all hell breaks lose, for example. 

Still an amazing game overall, totally see how you give it the "best in the series" crown. 

The first area/first part of the RPD is the most redankulous RNG in the entire game. Which is to say the most bullshit randomness of any game I have ever played.

The 2 Lickers was in Claire A Side, right? Yeah. That was a grand meta-test of "Don't jump." You had X. on your heels, and had to walk out of the West Office around them, open the door, unlock the other door, grab the crank and grenade, and position yourself where you could dash around the opposite side that X. comes a'pimp stalking, exit the room, then stop, then walk out into the hall, around the Licker, dashing into the West Office again. And Gods forbid you left that corpse next to the safe alone. Good times.

Whilst I agree that ammo was plentiful after the RPD, on Side A, Side B Hardcore took the RNG fuckery and cranked it up even further.

But yeah. RE4 IS phenomenal. There is a reason why I have purchased it 3 times in as many generations.

Edited by JHDK
Kollea.

Crotch already stole my answer but yeah, if I had to pick a game to expirience for the first time again, it would probably be a Souls game. Not sure which one, but probably Bloodborne or DS1. 

If I couldn't pick those though, 100% Silent Hill 2&3. Those were profoundly emotional and moving games to me, and I'd love to expirience that gauntlet of emotions again. It'd also be cool to just be unaware of all the scares again. 

I recently booted up the PC version of Silent Hill 3 for the first time and I gotta say, it's like getting to see the game in a whole new light. You really get to see just how pretty it actually was for a PS2 title. 

Might have to run through the whole thing again.... If for nothing else but the lightsaber. 😩

Link To The Past is so highly regarded because it is quintessential Zelda. It's the format most mainline Zelda games since then have tried to emulate or evolve one way or another, and set a precedent for hundreds of games to try and imitate its style. 

It's also just a great game in itself. The artstyle, the music, the combat and the simple novelty of going out on a classic sword and shield adventure.

There's a lot to love. 

man, in the new Demons Souls, the thing that jumps out at me the most with that special edition is the "Red Eye Knight" Armor Yeahhhhhh I want it.

That enemy stands out as a legend, man.  I always say that was the first real introduction to the game...the first enemy that make a new player learn the hard way.  heh, I remember those old messages people left for ya in the game like it was yesterday---things like "the REAL Demons Souls starts here..." or something like "..turn back." 😄

Games I'd like to experience the first time again---..right away my heavy hitters are:

Bayonetta, Kingdoms of Amalur, Skyrim, Prototype, Borderlands 2, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Bioshock, Gears of War 1,2,3...

Some of the best moments in last gen involved these games (and Vampyr for this X1/PS4 gen)---like that time Lilith phased the entire city in Borderlands 2.... that reveal from Bioshock, pretty much every moment of Bayonetta, the epic chaos of Prototype, the perfection that is Soul Sacrifice Delta, and all my vampiric adventures/fantasies finally being realized perfectly in Skyrim (*particularly when Dawnguard DLC came out) and later the modern classic Vampyr.... it has truly been one hell of a time to be a gamer in that 360/ps3 era and now especially.

...and I was watching some vids on Vampyr again lately; I'm inspired to play it yet again; some new builds have come to mind, especially in light of all the juicy story/lore I've been obsessing over from the VTM franchise lately...(*with the shadow powers, Dr. Reid could actually work as a "Lasombra clan" vampire; in terms of abilities, he has that going on along with "obfuscate" invisibility and other things if you choose to build him that way....I eventually started using the "Abyss" as my Ultimate of choice in a later play-thru; it's tooooo damn good.  While an enemy is held up by the shadows, they're naturally wide open for whatever else you want to do in the interest of fucking them up.)

9 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

The Moonlight Greatsword in Bloodborne fuckin sucks compared to the thing in pretty much every other Souls. It's still the goddamn Moonlight Greatsword. People wanna use it, lol. 

Can't co-sign. Holy Sword of Moonlight is a beast. It's damage output with the right build is great. 

Not saying best weapon but it doesn't even come remotely close to sucking. The Claymore moveset never sucks. 

Also long as the Scraping Spear is back then any other gear can kick rocks. 

Edited by RSG3
18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Can't co-sign. Holy Sword of Moonlight is a beast. It's damage output with the right build is great. 

Not saying best weapon but it doesn't even come remotely close to sucking. The Claymore moveset never sucks. 

Anything works in PVE. I assumed we were talking PVP. 

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Is this a real question? 

I care. I want a good moveset and fun to use but powerful powerful kit. This mindset that stuff is only good if it's good in PVP is really dumb imo. It's conflating two separate modes that don't play alike at all. 

What? When did I say stuff is only "good" if it's viable in PVP? 

Hawk was arguing that we shouldn't care whether or not a weapon is in the base game because those weapons usually "aren't good"  anyway. Well, "good" by what metric?

I guess I could've asked him to be more specific, but I could only assume he was talking about PVP because "good" is such a subjective and vague way to describe a weapon or an item in Souls unless you're strictly talking about viability. And everything is viable in PVE, so. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by M A R T I A N
10 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Then who cares how "good" a weapon is? 

I don't use a flaming sword for the DPS, I use it cause it's a flaming sword lol

I'm PvE all the way when it comes to Souls. I enjoy creating builds. Playing the game with DEX and STR build is completely different from a build designed around pryomancy. PvP builds are limited. Can't fuck with them. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

I'm PvE all the way when it comes to Souls. I enjoy creating builds. Playing the game with DEX and STR build is completely different from a build designed around pryomancy. PvP builds are limited. Can't fuck with them. 

PVP is definitely more limited than what's possible in PVE, absolutely. You can still have success with a lot of variety though, at least in some games. 

I think DS1 probably has the most issues balance wise that really limit what can work. Probably Demon's Souls and Bloodborne too. I still find it pretty enjoyable in 1 and BB though. 

I've seen and tried everything under the sun in DS2. There's just such a vast amount of different gear in that game, I think it allows the most creativity. 

Dark Souls 3 pvp can be fun and has variety too, but, poise in that game gives me a headache. 

32 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

What? When did I say stuff is only "good" if it's viable in PVP? 

Never said you did. You said the weapon was bad. I said it wasnt. You followed up with "Oh I thought we where talking about PVP" when from what I can tell no ground rules for the discussion was ever set forth. I'm simply using yoyr comment as a spring board to bitch about common Souls fanbase behavior where people act like only PVP matters. 

24 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I think DS1 probably has the most issues balance wise that really limit what can work. Probably Demon's Souls and Bloodborne too. I still find it pretty enjoyable in 1 and BB though

I personally don't think Souls PVP systems are actually good. They can be fun, but they aren't good. The netcode, hit boxes and mechanics don't mesh well enough to create a good competetive enviroment. In fact i don't think Souls PVP was really ever meant to be competetive. It was a system designed to create uncertainty in a highly static world and people have kind sorta pulled a SMASH and tried to warp it into something it isnt. That's why there are all these silly community rules like bowing before the fight or not hitting someone while they drink Estus and other myriad bullshit community rules. Used to have a huge inbox of rage mail form dudes pisses I didn't follow the community rules when they INVADE me. It isn't supposed to a competetive system. Competition aims for fairness and trying to make invasions and the like fair has gone a decently long way to ruining the point of Invasions and such. 

There is a reason my favorite invasion tool in Demons Souls is the Scraping Spear. It won't win you any invasions in the traditional sense. It's a "bad" weapon if we are looking st this from a competetive standpoint. But if you look at it for what it actually is, it's amazing weapon because it let's you grief players by ruining their equipment. They think they won and then realize all their gear is almost or is broken. That's hilariously devious and fun and has nothing to do with competition. "Balance" ruins shit like this because balance was never the intention. This sint saying thwy werent contious of it, onvaders have less health and become more glass canon as they win more invasions due to world tendency, but that's there to make sure invading isn't completely lopsided in the invaders favor considering everything the world host has to put with and then the invader, but I don't think competetive viability was ever a concern, least not till DS2 anyway where a lot of the mentality that invasions where created for has been lost. 

I've seen and tried everything under the sun in DS2. There's just such a vast amount of different gear in that game, I think it allows the most creativity. 

It's too bad Soul Memory fucking sucks and ruins ones ability to do lore theme builds and such since you'll eventually "level out" of the region. Invasions where another way for the player to role play more in the world. Kind of been lost in DS2

Dark Souls 3 pvp can be fun and has variety too, but, poise in that game gives me a headache. 

That's cuz it works more like super armor then traditional poise.  

I'm not saying PVP can't be fun. It absoalutly can be, but there is a ver clear separation of how one plays PVP and how one plays PVE and good and bad is different between both of them. Being able to make anything work in PVE doesn't mean what you have made work is actually good in PVE.  Really just means you made it work. 

Kuroda being able to wipe floor with Twelve means he can make Twelve work. Doesn't mean Twelve is good. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

There games you can play in 4K that doesn't require that insane storage. 

Play in 4k is not the same as made for 4k. 

I also don't know if that games size has anything to do with native resolution, I'm just talking shit really. 4k is going to make games way bigger and it's going to be a problem, but I don't actually know if that is the case here or not. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Never said you did. You said the weapon was bad. I said it wasnt. You followed up with "Oh I thought we where talking about PVP" when from what I can tell no ground rules for the discussion was ever set forth. I'm simply using yoyr comment as a spring board to bitch about common Souls fanbase behavior where people act like only PVP matters. 

I personally don't think Souls PVP systems are actually good. They can be fun, but they aren't good. The netcode, hit boxes and mechanics don't mesh well enough to create a good competetive enviroment. In fact i don't think Souls PVP was really ever meant to be competetive. It was a system designed to create uncertainty in a highly static world and people have kind sorta pulled a SMASH and tried to warp it into something it isnt. That's why there are all these silly community rules like bowing before the fight or not hitting someone while they drink Estus and other myriad bullshit community rules. Used to have a huge inbox of rage mail form dudes pisses I didn't follow the community rules when they INVADE me. It isn't supposed to a competetive system. Competition aims for fairness and trying to make invasions and the like fair has gone a decently long way to ruining the point of Invasions and such. 

There is a reason my favorite invasion tool in Demons Souls is the Scraping Spear. It won't win you any invasions in the traditional sense. It's a "bad" weapon if we are looking st this from a competetive standpoint. But if you look at it for what it actually is, it's amazing weapon because it let's you grief players by ruining their equipment. They think they won and then realize all their gear is almost or is broken. That's hilariously devious and fun and has nothing to do with competition. "Balance" ruins shit like this because balance was never the intention. This sint saying thwy werent contious of it, onvaders have less health and become more glass canon as they win more invasions due to world tendency, but that's there to make sure invading isn't completely lopsided in the invaders favor considering everything the world host has to put with and then the invader, but I don't think competetive viability was ever a concern, least not till DS2 anyway where a lot of the mentality that invasions where created for has been lost. 

It's too bad Soul Memory fucking sucks and ruins ones ability to do lore theme builds and such since you'll eventually "level out" of the region. Invasions where another way for the player to role play more in the world. Kind of been lost in DS2

That's cuz it works more like super armor then traditional poise.  

I'm not saying PVP can't be fun. It absoalutly can be, but there is a ver clear separation of how one plays PVP and how one plays PVE and good and bad is different between both of them. Being able to make anything work in PVE doesn't mean what you have made work is actually good in PVE.  Really just means you made it work. 

Kuroda being able to wipe floor with Twelve means he can make Twelve work. Doesn't mean Twelve is good. 

Oh we definitely agree there. At the end of the day, all Souls pvp is a tertiary experience to what those games are actually about, which is why balance is always so horribly lopsided.  There's also just tons of mechanical issues you run into like dumbass phantom range, yeah. 

I think bowing, not drinking flasks and all that stuff is more of a "larping" thing than it is an actual means to balance the PVP, if that makes sense. It's just a fun little set of unwritten rules that people take way too seriously way too often. That happens in every community though. There's still people in 2020 who think grabs are unfair and actually lament you for using them. 🤣

But yeah, I guess I just misunderstood what he meant. I've never really thought of gear as "good or bad" in terms of viability when talking PVE. It's just so entirely irrelevant to my decision making when choosing gear because like you said, anything can work.  I just want it to look cool, to match my fashion Souls, and to have cool powers. 

I mean, you can beat Dark Souls 2 with a damn ladle. And I did. 😂 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I roll with 'dat Str/Arc build.

I love that thing.

It makes short shrift of so many end-game bosses, it is just plain nuts.

20 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

mean, you can beat Dark Souls 2 with a damn ladle. And I did.

But would you say the Ladle is good? Would you recommend the Ladle to someone having trouble with PVE? 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I roll with 'dat Str/Arc build.

I love that thing.

It makes short shrift of so many end-game bosses, it is just plain nuts

Yea that weapon is fucking incredible imo. Its  move set is so much fun, and it's damage output is fucking nuts, especially once you start abusing the fact the projectile and the sword have separate hit boxes. 

The shit I did to Mergos Wet Nurse on NG+ with that sword was jaw dropping. She never even got make her clones. She just...died. 

Edited by RSG3
18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea that weapon is fucking incredible imo. Its  move set is so much fun, and it's damage output is fucking nuts, especially once you start abusing the fact the projectile and the sword have separate hit boxes. 

The shit I did to Mergos Wet Nurse on NG+ with that sword was jaw dropping. She never even got make her clones. She just...died. 

I used it on pretty much all of the endgame chalice bosses... old fast skinny dude with dual sickles cannot handle the pressure. Feels good.

Orphan still remains my most hated boss fight in the whole game.

I'd run the front end almost exclusively 2-handing my Axe (had to go pistol and single hand Axe on Logarius... had a million near wins, spacing it out 2-handed, but that second form... fuck 'dat), but switched over to Moonlight in the DLC - which I completed, and then the end-game chalice dungeons, before hitting up Wet Nurse.

I died so many times at Orphan, it was straight up Groundhog Day up in that Nightmare.

I finally fell back to my O.G. preference, and perfected his first form 2-handing the Axe like a boss, before going the Logarius route on his second phase.

Edited by JHDK
10 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

@MillionXBeing the resident vampire fanboy have you ever played this game?

Carrier on the Dreamcast is the only RE ripoff I can remember playing. I might hunt down the ISO to give this a shot. 

ah, no wonder I've never heard of this... it was released in August 2000!  Haha I was already deep into the Dreamcast era by that point, with plenty of games on that system to dig into... I think my PlayStation was actually dead by that point anyway.

yeah, according to what I see here...the vamps in that game were pretty damn lame.  I hate it when people just portray them as being no different from zombies....that's pitiful, and shows that the people producing it have zero imagination, or probably aren't that familiar with any proper lore about those creatures....getting it all wrong....like imagine if one was a big-time Superman fan---and here comes some asshole that produces a "Superman" game or series....but THEY write Kal El/Clark to only have the powers of Reed Richards---just stretchy limbs/body + genius IQ...in the blue/white outfit with a "4" on his chest...don't even have the proper goddamn outfit on him.  You'd be like---what the fuck is this?  Where's the flying and heat+Xray vision, super-strength, invulnerability, etc.? This is not a correct portrayal of Superman.  It irks me every time.

Anyway, even if I was still playing Playstation at that time, I probably would have skipped that game, since it just appears to be a bad "bootleg Resident Evil"...and even worse...you don't get to be one of the vampires.  At that point I was thinking Blood Omen was going to forever be the only good game that allowed the player to be a vamp. (VTM:Bloodlines would not happen until later in 2004, and only on PC.)