Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

On 3/8/2018 at 9:49 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Recent PSN sales have been matching prices with PC digital marketplaces. I brought the digital version of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst for $5 during their black friday sale. If it starts having 20-25% discounts for pre-purchases it will be in the same ballpark.

They kind of HAVE to.

They have finally figured out that people won't pay $60 I mean $70 for a digital game st launch, when the hard copy is less and PC has pre-sale discounts.

I have 50ish games on my PS4 Pro, and less than a handful bought at full-price. Of those, RE2:R and DQ11 were the only ones that I do not wholly regret buying at full price, Day One. Borderlands 3 was... a disappointment, to say the least. And Persona 5: The Royal is excellent, I hear... but I simply haven't gotten around to it yet, so paying full-price was impetuous.

With load times what they were this gen, I decided to forego disks, AND install a Samsung SSD into my Pro.

I do not mind waiting a month or two for a flash sale at $40 or less.

If the game doesn't go down in 2 months time though, I wait for that deep $30 or under sale.

I can wait. I am no addict. I am a customer. And games aren't crack.

Edited by JHDK
3 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Whatever semantics you'd like to attach to it doesn't change what I said. Dudes still pay full price all the time. Be that the standard retail price of $60, or more. 

I agree with JHDK. I see $60 ($70 once next gen is in full swing) as the base price. The prices of the special/collectors/ultimate editions are the true price of those games. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I agree with JHDK. I see $60 ($70 once next gen is in full swing) as the base price.  

I don't remember him saying this at all. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The prices of the special/collectors/ultimate editions are the true price of those games. 

How so? A base game by itself is $60. How is the version that comes with tertiary content to the game the "true" price? 

To me the "true" price would be whatever it costs to buy the game by itself. 

1 minute ago, M A R T I A N said:

How so? A base game by itself is $60. How is the version that comes with tertiary content to the game the "true" price? 

Then you need to learn how to comprehend English better.

I am sorry, but it is evidently a fact.

Just now, JHDK said:

Then you need to learn how to comprehend English better.

I am sorry, but it is evidently a fact.

Nowhere did you explicitly say "The base price for games is $60", unless I'm missing a post or something. 

Also, is it the "base price" now or is it still "full price"? What exactly is your guy's point in scrutinizing the terminology here? 

Either way it's irrelevant to my original point, so I'm not sure why we're on this tangent. You said "companies are realizing no one is paying $60 for digital games at launch". You are very mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Nowhere did you explicitly say "The base price for games is $60", unless I'm missing a post or something. 

Also, is it the "base price" now or is it still "full price"? What exactly is your guy's point in scrutinizing the terminology here? 

Either way it's irrelevant to my original point, so I'm not sure why we're on this tangent. You said "companies are realizing no one is paying $60 for digital games at launch". You are very mistaken. 

I quite clearly stated that whatever the addition increased cost you pay for a special edition, you pay "full price" for said special edition.

Inference and context. How do they work?

2 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I quite clearly stated that whatever the addition increased cost you pay for a special edition, you pay "full price" for said special edition.

Inference and context. How do they work? 

I don't even know what this conversation is anymore. You latched onto the last bit of my point, which was already pretty much a non sequitur to what I was saying overall. 

Plenty of dudes still buying games at both standard retail and whatever deluxe pricing these companies give their games. There. Is that specific enough for you or do you need to do anything else to take attention off your original, incorrect hot take? 

10 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Once, again, learn to English.

Facetious bad grammar aside...

I didn't say no one is paying $60 for games.

I said "people" are not willing to pay $60.

The normative inference to be drawn, being a sizeable enough segment of potential customers won't bite at $60, ergo the prompt deep sales.

I'll tell you what.

YOU tie Reticently in that English quiz Razor posted on SRK a couple of years back, and then get back to me.

12 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I didn't say no one is paying $60 for games.

I said "people" are not willing to pay $60.

giphy.gif.f5048523f0a7c113e0bbd4b53d085e42.gif

..... No fucking shit? 

If you're simply saying "a certain amount of people aren't willing to pay this price", I can't possibly fathom why you think that is some kind of informative or insightful take. Some people are more frugal than others yes, wow. Incredible take from our resident English professor. 

You're still wrong because apparently enough people still buy full priced games not only to keep selling them at that price, but actually increase it. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Simultaneous console/PC flash sales doesn't imply companies are desperate for revenue or customers have wised up. All it implies is that they're trying to stay competitive. *shrug*

Edited by M A R T I A N
43 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Because that's the price the publishers actually want you to pay for that game. Having that much in-game content at launch being reserved for a specific edition don't seem like extras to me. Just they know what to cut to get the entry level price. 

12 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

giphy.gif.f5048523f0a7c113e0bbd4b53d085e42.gif

..... No fucking shit? 

If you're simply saying "a certain amount of people aren't willing to pay this price", I can't possibly fathom why you think that is some kind of informative or insightful take. Some people are more frugal than others yes, wow. Incredible take from our resident English professor. 

You're still wrong because apparently enough people still buy full priced games not only to keep selling them at that price, but actually increase it. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Simultaneous console/PC flash sales doesn't imply companies are desperate for revenue or customers have wised up. All it implies is that they're trying to stay competitive. *shrug*

Y'know, there are only so many ways that I can explain to you how you are wrong.

I have yet to exhaust all of them... but I simply do not care enough to do so.

7 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Y'know, there are only so many ways that I can explain to you how you are wrong.

I have yet to exhaust all of them... but I simply do not care enough to do so.

So just cop out instead and let that superiority complex do the rest of the work. Nice. I'll take that. 🤣

It's also hilarious how much you wanna play this "learn English" card when you knew damn well what I meant when I said "more than full price" with my first response. I meant that people are willing to pay more than the standard retall $60. For someone who wants others to infer shit from his vauge and loose usage of the English language, you sure have a hard time grasping semantics yourself.

Again, you know, assuming you weren't just being intentionally difficult. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

What the hell are y'all even fighting about?

People buy games day one. People also wait for sales.

If a game isn't selling at full price, they put it on sale to move units and make some cash. 

Calm down, homies

I'm totally calm. A long form conversation/argument doesn't mean one or both parties are "mad". 

Dude wanted a semantics war, and he got one. 🤣

Finished the first playthrough of DMC2 as Dante today

It's obviously a weak game but surprisingly not as bad as I expected it to be. Still quite a miracle what Itsuno's team has managed to scrap together from the remains of in-development DMC2 after Kamiya's departure from Capcom

Guns are hella OP, like why even bother with melee weapons at all

On 10/29/2020 at 8:32 PM, RSG3 said:

There is a reason my favorite invasion tool in Demons Souls is the Scraping Spear. It won't win you any invasions in the traditional sense. It's a "bad" weapon if we are looking st this from a competetive standpoint. But if you look at it for what it actually is, it's amazing weapon because it let's you grief players by ruining their equipment. They think they won and then realize all their gear is almost or is broken. That's hilariously devious and fun and has nothing to do with competition. "

🤣🤣🤣 I'm absolutely dying! I can't imagine how mad someone would get after they kill you but then realized their gear is all fucked up because of that terrible weapon 😂😂😂

I agree with you 110% about soulsborne pvp. I always want to like it, but then I play it and I'm like, "this shit is terrible."  I think Bloodborne's could be decent if the guns didn't stagger, but I agree, they weren't modes that were meant to be competitive and were probably added as an afterthought. 

the music was reworked

The music of the Demon’s Souls remake has been reimagined and re-recorded as performed by a 75-piece orchestra, a 40-person choir, and multiple vocal and instrumental soloists.

Here are some details, via Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios External Development creative director Gavin Moore on the PlayStation Blog:

Only when you face your greatest challenges, the horrific and terrifying bosses, does music burst onto the scene, creating the backdrop to an epic encounter. The music defines these unforgettable moments.

It’s not only the music that defines this world, but also the incredible characters that inhabit it. Some good, some bad, but all with a tale to tell. We were lucky enough to get many of our original voice cast back to take on their iconic roles, with all dialogue being rerecorded. It will be great to see players of the original game falling in love with their favorite characters and voices all over again.

Countless hours were spent adding thousands upon thousands of new sounds to the game, really bringing this world to life. These are the sounds of Boletaria that will disturb your dreams. Will you go mad from the incessant beating of the heart and the haunting singing in the Tower of Latria? And how many of you will find courage in the face of the skin-crawling skitterings of the Armored Spider deep in the belly of Stonefang?

Perhaps that courage will come from the music. We lavished as much attention to this as the game’s soundscape. We reimagined the original score by Shunsuke Kida, creating dramatic new arrangements of his wonderful themes. Everything was rerecorded at Air Studios in London, with a world-class orchestra and choir. You can even hear the famous pipe organ at Temple Church that adds a haunting backdrop to many of the tracks. 120 of the finest musicians in the world perform on this score. And we’re incredibly proud of it.

2 hours ago, Scanman said:

Cuphead is hard as.... something that's really hard lol.

Can't get past the circus clown on regular mode.

It’s very old school castlevania/ninja gaiden hard where they show you the “clear path” but it’s never the correct path. You have assets and adapt to every situation before moving, jumping or attacking or you’ll get your shit rocked.

The game is very frustrating but fair and very rewarding through mental dexterity of figuring out that level or that boss.

Edited by iStu X
54 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

the music was reworked

The music of the Demon’s Souls remake has been reimagined and re-recorded as performed by a 75-piece orchestra, a 40-person choir, and multiple vocal and instrumental soloists.

Here are some details, via Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios External Development creative director Gavin Moore on the PlayStation Blog:

Only when you face your greatest challenges, the horrific and terrifying bosses, does music burst onto the scene, creating the backdrop to an epic encounter. The music defines these unforgettable moments.

It’s not only the music that defines this world, but also the incredible characters that inhabit it. Some good, some bad, but all with a tale to tell. We were lucky enough to get many of our original voice cast back to take on their iconic roles, with all dialogue being rerecorded. It will be great to see players of the original game falling in love with their favorite characters and voices all over again.

Countless hours were spent adding thousands upon thousands of new sounds to the game, really bringing this world to life. These are the sounds of Boletaria that will disturb your dreams. Will you go mad from the incessant beating of the heart and the haunting singing in the Tower of Latria? And how many of you will find courage in the face of the skin-crawling skitterings of the Armored Spider deep in the belly of Stonefang?

Perhaps that courage will come from the music. We lavished as much attention to this as the game’s soundscape. We reimagined the original score by Shunsuke Kida, creating dramatic new arrangements of his wonderful themes. Everything was rerecorded at Air Studios in London, with a world-class orchestra and choir. You can even hear the famous pipe organ at Temple Church that adds a haunting backdrop to many of the tracks. 120 of the finest musicians in the world perform on this score. And we’re incredibly proud of it.

And at the end of the day, it is a Remaster of a game I already played to death, being offered for purchase at the low, low price of $70 more dollars.

Better visuals, better audio, same shit, different gen.

Hard pass.

Make something new, for fuck's sake.

I'd rather play a sequel made for the PS3.

Edited by JHDK

ohhhh yeah the circus clown boss in Cuphead... that's another one of the toughest ones in the game, imo.  If you mess up at any point you may as well just go ahead and restart.  If I recall, I leaned heavily on the homing shot and spread shot...and that "smokescreen" dash which seems to be essential for the entire game, imo....I can't imagine surviving anywhere in the game without that smoke dash.

5 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ohhhh yeah the circus clown boss in Cuphead... that's another one of the toughest ones in the game, imo.  If you mess up at any point you may as well just go ahead and restart.  If I recall, I leaned heavily on the homing shot and spread shot...and that "smokescreen" dash which seems to be essential for the entire game, imo....I can't imagine surviving anywhere in the game without that smoke dash.

I'm  going to have to eventually try that game.

Speaking of one mistake equals a stage's being hard reset... how's everyone else enjoying the patched Streets of Rage 4?

Cherry is outright insane, now, and is also insanely fun to play as. She's hands down my favorite of the SR4 Five, now... even if Blaze still edges her out for best character.

Edited by JHDK
Kollea. Arreisu Kollea.

ohhh now I'm intrigued to get back to Streets of Rage 4 then... I haven't played it in several months, simply because there's so much other good stuff I have.  Adam was my usual pick... once I played as Adam it was a tough sell to go back to any other character.

man... I see that Cuphead is 1 of the games I have to re-download on Switch since I've been on my 2nd SD card here...

Edited by MillionX