Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

“Ruined King is a great way to expand the world of Runeterra for brand new players as well as our dedicated League of Legends fans,” said Riot Forge head Leanne Loombe in a press release. “Ruined King will be the first single-player game to bring the League of Legends universe to both consoles and PC. We are excited to take this plunge into exploring stories and champions that players have enjoyed over the years, and can’t wait for our players to embark on this new adventure with us.”

Airship Syndicate CEO Joe Madureira added, “We couldn’t resist the chance to work with Riot Forge to expand the epic world of Runeterra. These are some of our own favorite champions, and we can’t wait for players to see how we brought the characters, creatures, and environments of Runeterra to life.”

ha, I see on the Diablo 3 forums some Wizard fans complaining about how the class is now... surprisingly it took a while for someone to show up and post what I was thinking--- wizards have been str8 GOD MODE for years.  It makes sense that Blizzard probably didn't think Wizards needed any further "help" for a while....though unfortunately they are seemingly a "low tier" pick at this point, sadly...at least in comparison to how ridiculous other classes have become at this point.  I still think the character is pretty ridiculous though---again take a quick look at the character's "Archon" form ability, where you become a being of pure magical energy.

• In this form, your mana is infinite.
  • Your attack power increases per enemy killed...this actually has no limitation, btw.  The only limit is the time limit on the form itself.
  • Defense also increases per kill.
  • Also, since this is a "super form", you have immunity to all control-impairing effects, and transforming into it breaks any effects currently on you.
  • With the Vyr's Arcana set bonuses, you get ALL the runes for Archon form.--so... now you have access to a bubble of slowed time, teleportation, the explosion when you transform, a lowered cooldown and further boosted Archon power from the "Improved Archon".  The 6-piece bonus also makes it so you get the infinitely-stacking attack/defense bonuses per hit too...not just kills.

hahah I love how ridiculous it all is.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/sets/vyrs-amazing-arcana

I hate that now it no longer shows the actual bonuses on your stat sheets now... I often liked checking the stats while in Archon form just to see how insane my numbers had become after killing large packs of monsters ...I like seeing actual numerical documentation of just how godlike my character is 😄

edit---I just thought about how busted this shit would be if one were to combine how Archon form works now with how it was in the early days of D3.  Originally, each enemy killed extended the duration of the form... so eventually people were able to stay in Archon for long periods of time.  Heh, if kills granted time + infinitely stacking power and defenses, eventually that would probably break the game for real...🤣  Really, the only flaw in this 1 ability is that there's an absolute time-limit on it now.  There's other legendary items I didn't even get into here that make it even more insane, actually.

Edited by MillionX

Million making me want Diablo 3. Stop it man. 😩

Already bought wayyyy too much shit this weekend on Steam. 

Fault

Blasphemous 

In Silence

Jedi: Fallen Order 

Jump Force

Hades

Vampyr 

Farcry 5

Control

Tomb Raider 1&2

Dues Ex: Mankind Divided 

Dragon Age: Inquisition 

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Vampyr pretty much loses all the performance issues I had on console when I play on PC, so I'll finally get around to beating that. 

Hype to finally try Jedi Fallen Order. It looks awesome. 👍

3 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

236e17a73d0ae54a7fa423ee156c3dd5.png.697e1132fc0fbe430a3b3f14f342088a.png

No, seriously, when I watched the last Tubb stream, it was no more spooky than say, RE2 Remake.

Catching up Max's stream, which unlike Tubb's I'm watching from the beginning, made me change my mind real quick.

Is it just me or RE7's late game (Say, past Marguerite's boss battle) much less scarier?

Edited by Volt
typo
5 hours ago, MillionX said:

ha, I see on the Diablo 3 forums some Wizard fans complaining about how the class is now... surprisingly it took a while for someone to show up and post what I was thinking--- wizards have been str8 GOD MODE for years.  It makes sense that Blizzard probably didn't think Wizards needed any further "help" for a while....though unfortunately they are seemingly a "low tier" pick at this point, sadly...at least in comparison to how ridiculous other classes have become at this point.  I still think the character is pretty ridiculous though---again take a quick look at the character's "Archon" form ability, where you become a being of pure magical energy.

• In this form, your mana is infinite.
  • Your attack power increases per enemy killed...this actually has no limitation, btw.  The only limit is the time limit on the form itself.
  • Defense also increases per kill.
  • Also, since this is a "super form", you have immunity to all control-impairing effects, and transforming into it breaks any effects currently on you.
  • With the Vyr's Arcana set bonuses, you get ALL the runes for Archon form.--so... now you have access to a bubble of slowed time, teleportation, the explosion when you transform, a lowered cooldown and further boosted Archon power from the "Improved Archon".  The 6-piece bonus also makes it so you get the infinitely-stacking attack/defense bonuses per hit too...not just kills.

hahah I love how ridiculous it all is.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/sets/vyrs-amazing-arcana

I hate that now it no longer shows the actual bonuses on your stat sheets now... I often liked checking the stats while in Archon form just to see how insane my numbers had become after killing large packs of monsters ...I like seeing actual numerical documentation of just how godlike my character is 😄

edit---I just thought about how busted this shit would be if one were to combine how Archon form works now with how it was in the early days of D3.  Originally, each enemy killed extended the duration of the form... so eventually people were able to stay in Archon for long periods of time.  Heh, if kills granted time + infinitely stacking power and defenses, eventually that would probably break the game for real...🤣  Really, the only flaw in this 1 ability is that there's an absolute time-limit on it now.  There's other legendary items I didn't even get into here that make it even more insane, actually.

Wizards have been at the low to lowest end of the power spectrum rather consistently, for a few years now, actually.

Bazooka was niche God build, but it got nuked (heh) after just a couple of seasons.

Whereas Barb, Monk, and Curbstompsader have absolutely dominated the leader boards.

Edited by JHDK
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

By that point Ethan has had enough of the bullshit. He's gonna kill everything and GTFO with his wife. 

Shame he didn't kill HIMSELF, and leave a window open for one of the cooler, more interesting protagonists to take the lead for 8.

Ethan is so bland, milquetoast looks like a cornucopia of ambrosia, comparatively.

He is the principal reason I couldn't care less about RE8 anymore.

Well, this just in... a VTM-world Battle Royale game?! (no official title though)

finally, some real action instead of the visual novel stuff.... too bad it has to be battle royale though (*thus it is presumably online-only and strictly this 1 multiplayer mode.)

edit--ok, watching that again and slowing it down in some parts...the girl that is the main character in this trailer is of the Toreador clan, I see... she has the rose tattooed on her upper left side.

Edited by MillionX
18 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Shame he didn't kill HIMSELF, and leave a window open for one of the cooler, more interesting protagonists to take the lead for 8.

Ethan is so bland, milquetoast looks like a cornucopia of ambrosia, comparatively.

He is the principal reason I couldn't care less about RE8 anymore.

Ethan is a player insert. Being bland comes with the territory

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't play RE to play a character insert. I play to vicariously enjoy the feats of the protagonist.

And I really do not see Ethan as a player insert. The PC in Skyrim? Yeah, probably. But Ethan's story doesn't really change by our choices. Sure, his wife either lives or dies by our one big decision (but not really - see: RE8), but that is the extent of our autonomy, which really goes against the whole character insert design philosophy.

Ethan is more of an incel who got to insert, and put a ring in it, and is actually Japanese society playing its populace in the hopes umog upping their national player base.

A blank slate is one thing.

Ethan is a slated blank.

Edited by JHDK
of upping, Kollean spellchecker. No matter how much you want it, wishing isn't going to make your dong long.
1 minute ago, JHDK said:

I don't play RE to play a character insert. I play to vicariously enjoy the feats of the protagonist.

And I really do not see Ethan as a player insert. The PC in Skyrim? Yeah, probably. But Ethan's story doesn't really change by our choices. Sure, his wife either lives or dies by our one big decision (but not really - see: RE8), but that is the extent of our autonomy, which really goes against the whole character insert design philosophy.

Ethan is more of an incel who got to insert, and put a ring in it, and is actually Japanese society playing its populace in the hopes up upping their national player base.

A blank slate is one thing.

Ethan is a slated blank.

Character inserts ain't about choices you can make. The character exists for the player to project themselves into. He doesn't have a character so you can give him one as you play. You can't even see the guys face. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Character inserts ain't about choices you can make. The character exists for the player to project themselves into. He doesn't have a character so you can give him one as you play. You can't even see the guys face. 

You're right.

The biggest fuck up they did with Ethan was to give him a name tho. Because at that point, he ain't a true insert, he's more of a vanilla protag.

That really just means he'll need some great characters to bounce off of in 8. Lucas being a master troll and Jack being absolutely insane did wonders to the game, but let's see what 8 brings to the table.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

We know what he looks like.

His character is that he is desperate to find his wifu, and is badly written made for t.v. hentai levels of inexplicably adept at surviving and killing, given the background story we already have in rather great detail, that also somewhat impedes the whole player insert angle.

If we're playing any RE, we're not seeing our character's face, unless in a cutscene (7 has those too). We're too busy surviving for all that.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

You're right.

The biggest fuck up they did with Ethan was to give him a name tho. Because at that point, he ain't a true insert, he's more of a vanilla protag.

That really just means he'll need some great characters to bounce off of in 8. Lucas being a master troll and Jack being absolutely insane did wonders to the game, but let's see what 8 brings to the table.

He isn't a character insert, imo.

He is Capcom being lazy, and passing it off as a design choice.

13 minutes ago, JHDK said:

We know what he looks like.

His character is that he is desperate to find his wifu, and is badly written made for t.v. hentai levels of inexplicably adept at surviving and killing, given the background story we already have in rather great detail, that also somewhat impedes the whole player insert angle.

If we're playing any RE, we're not seeing our character's face, unless in a cutscene (7 has those too). We're too busy surviving for all that.

What background story? We know more about Mia than Ethan. Mia background was elaborated on once you reach the cruise ship. We don't know shit about Ethan. We don't know what his job is, where he's from, how he met Mia, what their relationship is like. The guy a blank slate. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 minute ago, JHDK said:

He isn't a character insert, imo.

He is Capcom being lazy, and passing it off as a design choice.

I see it as more of a conflicting design philosophy.

They wanted a self insert because of first-person and VR, but they also wanted some reason for Ethan to deal with all that bullshit. And that's how Mia came into play.

Trying to meet halfway resulted in this hentai protag-esque character in a horror setting.

22 minutes ago, Volt said:

You're right.

I don't think naming him taking anything way. They gave him one of the most generic names possible. The Japanese like giving inserts the most commonly used names they can think of. 

10 minutes ago, Volt said:

I see it as more of a conflicting design philosophy.

They wanted a self insert because of first-person and VR, but they also wanted some reason for Ethan to deal with all that bullshit. And that's how Mia came into play.

Trying to meet halfway resulted in this hentai protag-esque character in a horror setting.

I honestly would rather have a character that I can relate to, than a self-insert, much less a pseudo self-insert.

But that requires more work, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't think naming him taking anything way. They gave him one of the most generic names possible. The Japanese like giving inserts the most commonly used names they can think of. 

Compare this to say, FE Three Houses that also has a (physically) non-customizable protag with a canon name.

Byleth's name is not mentioned once out loud. It's always Professor or whatever.

Having characters call out Ethan all the time breaks the self-insert immersion.

haha Phil is TRYING to stream Team Fortress 2 at the moment but is getting non-stop trolls... basically his whole team keeps smacking him in the face with the frying pan... LSB has the restream of course

edit--damn he's already giving up and moving on to another game

edit 2---yeah it's the most low-effort costume he has on at the moment... a simple vest and gloves, with a fake gun so he's Barry Burton from RE. 

anyway, someone from the Diablo 4 team has left apparently...

It would be great if I still had hope for D4, but it's really tough for me to continue supporting online-only nonsense. 

Edited by MillionX
30 minutes ago, Volt said:

Compare this to say, FE Three Houses that also has a (physically) non-customizable protag with a canon name.

Byleth's name is not mentioned once out loud. It's always Professor or whatever.

Having characters call out Ethan all the time breaks the self-insert immersion.

I don't think it is a true self insert like you see in games like FE or Persona or even Link from Zelda, where the character is meant as a mostly voiceless blank slate. Ethan is a character who  just doesn't have a defined personality because he is meant as both the hero and the person in direct distress like the protagonists of Clock Tower or Fatal Frame franchises.

We are meant empathize with their fear but have a disconnect as to not fully take it as something directly. 

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

haha Phil is TRYING to stream Team Fortress 2 at the moment but is getting non-stop trolls... basically his whole team keeps smacking him in the face with the frying pan... LSB has the restream of course

edit--damn he's already giving up and moving on to another game

edit 2---yeah it's the most low-effort costume he has on at the moment... a simple vest and gloves, with a fake gun so he's Barry Burton from RE. 

anyway, someone from the Diablo 4 team has left apparently...

It would be great if I still had hope for D4, but it's really tough for me to continue supporting online-only nonsense. 

It isn't  a good sign, when the dev team scours the forums, culls ideas, and scraps the current build based upon the whims of basement-dwellers' [sometimes staggeringly obvious] suggestions for course correction, time and again.

He might also want to change careers, at this point.

2 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Complaining about Ethan having no character when most characters in RE have the personality of cardboard anyway is top shelf comedy. 

You know, alongside the points Hawk already made. 

Leon had a pretty compelling characterization, in RE2 and its Remake. As did Claire. As did Jill and Carlos in RE3:R.

And for better or worse, Leon got a ton of charactization in RE4.

Anyone who looks to Chris punching boulders in the worst non-FPS RE, to justifying denegrating all that canonically came before it, can kick rocks... the ones left from his awesome display of anime testosterone.

Don't get me wrong. The RE5 that we got was travesty of storytelling. And its followup might as well be titled RE:Deep6.

But it does not behoove you to downplay the characters and story that came before 5, in order to justify RE:Village Idiot, as the godawful new controllable character. I won't call Ethan a protagonist. He's an unfortunate background artifact that got stuck on the cursor. At best.

Ethan is the Other M of RE playable characters.

Dame Judy Dench wept.

Edited by JHDK
8 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Leon is a great character. RE definitely has great characters. It also has tons of filler characters that are not so great and are written just as surface level as Ethan without an actual excuse to do it, like RE7 has. 

Is Ethan a filler character?

It is rather paradoxical that a playable character would be given a pass for something that filler characters are not let off as having an excuse for.

10 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Is Ethan a filler character?

It is rather paradoxical that a playable character would be given a pass for something that filler characters are not let off as having an excuse for.

Ethan is a conduit for the player. His "personality" is as surface level as possible because it's a first person game that's trying to put you in the shoes of an established character within the world. 

I think there's a pretty obvious difference between a character who acts as a quote unquote "vessel" for the player, and a character who is not only completley useless to the narrative but doesn't even add anything by being interesting or entertaining. RE is full of characters like the latter. 

But again, I feel like Hawk already made this point. 🤷🏾‍♂️

50 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Leon had a pretty compelling characterization, in RE2 and its Remake. As did Claire. As did Jill and Carlos in RE3:R.

And for better or worse, Leon got a ton of charactization in RE4.

Anyone who looks to Chris punching boulders in the worst non-FPS RE, to justifying denegrating all that canonically came before it, can kick rocks... the ones left from his awesome display of anime testosterone.

Don't get me wrong. The RE5 that we got was travesty of storytelling. And its followup might as well be titled RE:Deep6.

But it does not behoove you to downplay the characters and story that came before 5, in order to justify RE:Village Idiot, as the godawful new controllable character. I won't call Ethan a protagonist. He's an unfortunate background artifact that got stuck on the cursor. At best.

Dame Judy Dench wept.

RE8 got so much going for it to let Ethan be a turn off. Knowing the reason for Chris apparently heel turn and why he killed Mia. 

Yeah pretty much. I kind of feel like it's similar to not liking RE4 just because of the Ashley sections. It's an annoyance, but there's so much good shit sandwitching those sections of the game. 

It's fine to want more depth out of the character you play as, but in this specific instance I think it's a bit silly to not even give the game a chance over it. 

5 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

My only thought on RE, some characters should retire at this point...Chris is how old? Have him train some new peeps! Ethan is not bad but he's been in one game. All the other main characters have been in multiple games long enough to be developed. wait for RE8 to drop and see what is up. 

Leon is great BTW. 

Chris is 39 in RE6. He was Piers mentor but he ended up not surviving RE6. 

12 hours ago, MillionX said:

LOL I loved how he was clueless on how to play TF2 while getting trolled, he is the sad clown of twitch streamers.

at times it reminded me of when he tried to play/stream World of Warcraft... the trolling was non-stop.  It was a legendary dsp moment there...BIG crowd of other players constantly following him around, throwing things and doing certain annoying emotes over and over again....they were also making sure to kill monsters super-fast so he couldn't even get any exp.   An enemy would pop-up and instantly get destroyed before he could even attack/tag it once for the exp 😄  I laughed 'til I cried first time seeing that shit

Yong did a ps5 unboxing vid recently:

the more I think about this and the hype surrounding it....yeah this is probably going to be impossible to get if you didn't pre-order....that situation always irks me; I don't tend to like scenarios where you HAVE to pre-order something to even have a chance at getting it.

Edited by MillionX
54 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

LOL I loved how he was clueless on how to play TF2 while getting trolled, he is the sad clown of twitch streamers.

Dude HAS to be a reverse troll. He just has to be. Nobody who can manage to figure out how to get their thumbs properly situated onto both analog sticks, is too stupid to figure out how to kill a few Spider Ants in Borderlands. And yet, Phil.

13 hours ago, Wellman said:

I don't think it is a true self insert like you see in games like FE or Persona or even Link from Zelda, where the character is meant as a mostly voiceless blank slate. Ethan is a character who  just doesn't have a defined personality because he is meant as both the hero and the person in direct distress like the protagonists of Clock Tower or Fatal Frame franchises.

We are meant empathize with their fear but have a disconnect as to not fully take it as something directly. 

Yes, that's what I said. Ethan is not a real self-insert.

He's just a vanilla protag. Instead of his character being a huge driving force in the plot, the environment and his situation are what takes center-stage.

I understand why JHDK doesn't like him, but that doesn't make it any less valid of an approach to storytelling.

10 hours ago, JHDK said:

As someone who have actually played Other M recently, fuck you for reminding me of it, and no, Ethan is definitely not Other M-tiers of writing in any way, shape or form.

14 minutes ago, Volt said:

Yes, that's what I said. Ethan is not a real self-insert.

He's just a vanilla protag. Instead of his character being a huge driving force in the plot, the environment and his situation are what takes center-stage.

I understand why JHDK doesn't like him, but that doesn't make it any less valid of an approach to storytelling.

As someone who have actually played Other M recently, fuck you for reminding me of it, and no, Ethan is definitely not Other M-tiers of writing in any way, shape or form.

Ethan is the Morph Ball of Other M for your self-insert. :coffee: