Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

But the fact that they keep using the same stance minus some small changes for many chars is becoming more easy to notice this kind of shit, and therefore get tilted, lol.

It’s been this way since MK4. Which is why I find it funny that you’re just now getting upset over something that’s been around for 20+ years 

Edited by iStu X
53 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

CoD is Activision fam. EA wants players to have room for FIFA and Madden. They like to double  on their "surprise mechanics"

30 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

ACTIVISION (not EA lol) have now made CoD semi modular with the game. The size can change based on what you DL. Campaign/MP/Zombies are planned to be their own pieces so if there's something you don't care to play, you don't need to DL it/can uninstall later. I'll play campaign, uninstall and just enjoy MP and if zombies are wack (like BO4) I can also keep that uninstalled. 

Ahh, got it. I knew it was one of those companies everyone says is scummy, but I don't play their games so I can't keep them straight lol

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Huh. Knowing Sega, the arcade business will probably start booming again and this will be yet another dumb move they've made, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I wonder if they're going to close those Club Sega arcades, if they're remain open with the same name, or get renamed.

3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Huh. Knowing Sega, the arcade business will probably start booming again and this will be yet another dumb move they've made, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I wonder if they're going to close those Club Sega arcades, if they're remain open with the same name, or get renamed.

I don’t blame them. The article says that due to covid theyre projected to lose almost 50b yen in revenue by the end of the fiscal year (3/31/21) due to arcade closures in Japan. They didn’t really have a choice 

the article says that that the Sega arcades will still keep their names for the time being but will be under new owners 

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, iStu X said:

It’s been this way since MK4. Which is why I find it funny that you’re just now getting upset over something that’s been around for 20+ years 

Is not upset, but more like an ewwww, old games got a pass due how cartoonish everything looked, now with how they keep pushing to a more realist look, the animations start to clash with their look, giving a more uncanney valley feel.

And then is the fact that with MK11 the game gets this insosistence feel, where some chars have moved away of the terribad mk animations while some retain some of that stuff.

Then you have a lot of DLC chars feeling like budget additions due how they animate when compared to the initial roster, with really few being on par with the initial quality.

When you compare their highs with their lows, it becomes kinda jarring.

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t blame them. The article says that due to covid theyre projected to lose almost 50b yen in revenue by the end of the fiscal year (3/31/21) due to arcade closures in Japan. They didn’t really have a choice 

the article says that that the Sega arcades will still keep their names for the time being but will be under new owners 

It would be interesting to see if them moving away for arcade would mean they will explore new options.

They already have their network infrastructure where they had their arcade games, so, that can still be used for new ventures, imo.

11 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Ahh, got it. I knew it was one of those companies everyone says is scummy, but I don't play their games so I can't keep them straight lol

https://charlieintel.com/how-to-pre-load-black-ops-cold-war-on-ps4-xbox-pc/63859/

and in this:

For PS4, similar to Modern Warfare, there will be content packs to download for each of the three modes of the game.

Here’s the launch file sizes for the two platforms:

PlayStation 4: 95GB

PlayStation 5: 133GB

Note: console players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s overall file size. This content can be managed in-game through the “Account & Network” section of the Settings menu.

So those articles stating how massive the games are based on what the packaging is saying are factoring in things like files for ray tracing/post content launch (DLC) and future updates. 

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

MK animations and the stiffness and no center balance has been a thing of progressively getting worse since they went 3D.  I honestly think that NRS just doesn't care at this point and so long as they keep making money like they have they probably feel a need to do so. 

This is kind of where I’m at. NRS is now WarnerBrothers Media’s annual genre title machine. 

Release MK

Support newest MK for a year

release newest injustice

completely stops supporting previous MK 

supports injustice for a year

Loop xN for profit 

if their cycle isn’t broke they have no need to fix it. And as angering as NRS cycle is, every company is the same way to some degree. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and so on. Some would rather do it by platform Generation like Nintendo. 

Edited by iStu X
21 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

MK animations and the stiffness and no center balance has been a thing of progressively getting worse since they went 3D.  I honestly think that NRS just doesn't care at this point and so long as they keep making money like they have they probably feel a need to do so. 

The thing is that with MK11, you have a game full of inconsistencies.

You have chars that look and animate great, like the Shaolin Monks, Jax, Fujinn, then you have characters like fucking Geras, Jackie, Spawn, which btw reuses the dumb fatality/brutality startup animation from MKvsDC on one of his moves, and others that while not necessarily horrible animate, still have some jank in some places.

There is a clear evolution with how they do stuff, so at least you can tell that at least someone is putting an effor to try to improve shit on their games.

Ah, MK animation fight. Nice. Guess we're breaking in Mega Shock with the classics. 

The 2D MK games have always looked like action figures to me, so even the more egregious animations never really bothered me. 

I think between trying to make the games feel similar to the first 3, while also trying to create these very fluid animations in a series that has been historically pretty stiff, probably has its own struggles and complications. Gotta compromise somewhere. 

For anyone thinking about it: Please miss me with the mini novella explaining why I don't understand basic animation or why MK animation is the objectively worst thing to happen since the Holocaust. 

23 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Damn, Heca can't give me an MK animation schpeel so he just downvotes my post instead 🤣🤣

It is more funny that way.

Plus i was planning to still put a Novela by just dumping an animation principles book, but got sidetracked doing other stuff and lost my chance to maki the joke post, 😂

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

The thing is that with MK11, you have a game full of inconsistencies.

You have chars that look and animate great, like the Shaolin Monks, Jax, Fujinn, then you have characters like fucking Geras, Jackie, Spawn, which btw reuses the dumb fatality/brutality startup animation from MKvsDC on one of his moves, and others that while not necessarily horrible animate, still have some jank in some places.

There is a clear evolution with how they do stuff, so at least you can tell that at least someone is putting an effor to try to improve shit on their games.

I wasn't even including Shaolin Monks since that game is uh...well...amazing in all aspects lol.  I'm well aware of the inconsistences and I'm pretty sure SOMEONE over in NRS has seen the A.B.I. tutorial video that criticized them over it.  As annoyed as I am at it, I've just come to accept that they don't care 'enough' to fix it.   Maybe they just think that having some of this jank is part of the charm? ( Its not busted...ITS A FEATURE!!)

Another one recognizes the greatness... Upper Echelon is also a fan of the legendary Hades:

edit---ah, the mention of Mortal Kombat also reminds me... it would be nice if some day we could get back to the days of sexy female characters not being considered a "bad thing" anymore.  Apparently the current trend with MK in particular is thanks mostly to a certain person that has successfully infiltrated the design team over there.

Edited by MillionX
33 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I wasn't even including Shaolin Monks since that game is uh...well...amazing in all aspects lol.  I'm well aware of the inconsistences and I'm pretty sure SOMEONE over in NRS has seen the A.B.I. tutorial video that criticized them over it.  As annoyed as I am at it, I've just come to accept that they don't care 'enough' to fix it.   Maybe they just think that having some of this jank is part of the charm? ( Its not busted...ITS A FEATURE!!)

I was actually talking about the Monks themselves in MK11 😅

They are some of the few chars that are animated with so much character and in a way that actually looks out of place on MK11.

They dont have those weird shit where they are always doing moves that either are facing 90grades away from the camera, or looking straight to it, their poses, and animations feel and look great, the same as Fuujin.

Then you have trainwrecks as Geras, that are all the problems of MK animations and them some more, lol

Edit

IIRC, Shaolin Monks runs on a modified/up´graded Thrill Kill engine, the same that was used for Wutang Shaolin Style.

Edited by Hecatom
44 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

.  As annoyed as I am at it, I've just come to accept that they don't care 'enough' to fix it.   Maybe they just think that having some of this jank is part of the charm? ( Its not busted...ITS A FEATURE!!)

Some of SNK's games animate a little strange or arent super fluid, but nobody ever says anything about it, and NeoGeo games have a certain feel to them that I think is due in part to said animation. The same goes for MK. They still feel a bit like the older games and the fact that people write novels praising or shitting on NRS animation is means that it's a hot enough topic to get people talking about it. I don't mind how they feel but I understand it's not for everyone. 

55 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Some of SNK's games animate a little strange or arent super fluid, but nobody ever says anything about it, and NeoGeo games have a certain feel to them that I think is due in part to said animation. The same goes for MK. They still feel a bit like the older games and the fact that people write novels praising or shitting on NRS animation is means that it's a hot enough topic to get people talking about it. I don't mind how they feel but I understand it's not for everyone. 

I can't think of many if any SNK games that animate strangely.  From most of the sprites and 3D models they all seem to have an understanding of how the human body moves and animates for at least 95% of their animations.  I can't say that about the 3D MK series.  The only one that I can think that comes close to that is MK4 (if only because that game was far more simplistic in its moveset especially in comparison to the later games) off the top of my head with Deadly Alliance (this was the beginning of them using mocap and they were making a big deal about it with the different fighting styles) coming after that and then it just worse from there.

It's just really crazy that some of the animations for the characters look that janky after  *checks* 18 years of them doing 3D animation with mocap.  That's why I'm at this point I think NRS either doesn't care or just believes the jank is part of the charm of MK.

11 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I asked this in the Switch thread, but I'll ask here as well. Have any of you degens played the Rune Factory series? I'm eyeing picking up 4 Special to try out, but was legit curious.

Despite not being a huge fan of sim games I've always had a soft spot for rune factory cause it's aesthetics have always been very cool. I actually really enjoyed the first few. 

My favorite Harvest spin off is River King  though. *adjusts glasses* 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Disney about to buy Square just to shut them down. 

Square Enix and their Western branch that used to be Eidos or Crystal Dynamics always mess themselves with spending too much on the game development so even when the game sells well they still under perform expectations. Same shit happened with EVERY game in the reboot Tomb Raider franchise and I want to say that is why they let the Hitman developers and IP go as well.

Also they shot themselves in the foot leading with the game as service media push on a licensed game of all things.

Sega is asking over 650 employees to voluntarily retire from Sega. Slashes in salary have been happening company wide. Expecting to lose over 10b yen this year. 

I think for the sake of everything coming full circle Nintendo should purchase Sega. Though with Altus and Sony being on such good terms thanks to Persona I think it could easily go to Sony as well. 

Edited by iStu X
4 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

This is tin foil hat thinking but this is likely why Konami denied the PT demo being playable on PS5. 

but also it’s a demo for a game that “doesn’t exist”. So maybe that’s their reason? Honestly probably a little bit from both. 

kojima did say his team was working on a new project. 🤔

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Break up SEGA and sell off pieces to everyone...Nintendo obviously should have Sonic and some of the other mascots and let the other 2 fight it out for what is left. I'm kinda saddened this is happening to SEGA at all. 

Nah, Sega are like cockroaches, they have been in this kind of situation multiple times over the decades (most times due their own bad decissions) but manage to survive somehow.

By this point i am convinced they have some monkey paw shit going on.

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Can’t wait for you to shit bricks when the debut trailer for this new silent hill is just an extension of PT. Lol

See, that would be the good timeline. The timeline where Silent Hill never died and Bloodborne isn't locked to 30 FPS on a next gen console. 

We're in the bad timeline. Riots consume America. Sega is dying. Cell has won the Cell games. Most fighting games STILL don't have rollback. 

Shit, we might all already be in Silent Hill right now and not even know it. Endlessly looping in this cycle of suffering until we learn our lesson... 

tumblr_5f74c02270160dab2a8ed3c151150d31_3a0fc866_500.gif.84f7480675493e54894b89759b2e53ba.gif

4 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Break up SEGA and sell off pieces to everyone...Nintendo obviously should have Sonic and some of the other mascots and let the other 2 fight it out for what is left. I'm kinda saddened this is happening to SEGA at all. 

if they did splinter up all the IP’s I’d definitely want WayForward to get stuff like Vectorman and Golden Axe. Whoever would buy the Atlus subsidiary should also try their damndest to get Shining Force. 

god. Why does Sega have so many good IP’s but are dead set on continually ruining Sonic 

Just now, iStu X said:

if they did splinter up all the IP’s I’d definitely want WayForward to get stuff like Vectorman and Golden Axe. Whoever would buy the Atlus subsidiary should also try their damndest to get Shining Force. 

god. Why does Sega have so many good IP’s but are dead set on continually ruining Sonic 

Better them ruining just Sonic, that ruining all of their other Ips.

Lets not foget how it went when they tried to do a new Golden Axe or Altered Beast

Truth be told, as much as i would love to see some ips to return, the problem is that most old ips rarely transition well to newer gaming trends, at least not when the companies behind them arent willing to put the time and money into it.

For every Metroi Prime, we have a lot of games that failed so hard that forced their owners to made the ips dormant.

Then you have the problem that not many fans wouldnt be happy to see their fav ips turned into clones of newer games.

Like not many will be thrilled to see a new Contra being a FPS.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Truth be told, as much as i would love to see some ips to return, the problem is that most old ips rarely transition well to newer gaming trends, at least not when the companies behind them arent willing to put the time and money into it.

For every Metroi Prime, we have a lot of games that failed so hard that forced their owners to made the ips dormant.

Then you have the problem that not many fans wouldnt be happy to see their fav ips turned into clones of newer games.

Like not many will be thrilled to see a new Contra being a FPS.

I’d definitely have faith in WayForward if they got something like Golden Axe or vector man. Look at how stellar River City Girls is and how well they adapted Ducktales which is one of the most beloved NES games of all time. 

They also did the stellar Contra 4 for DS and the amazing Zelda II rom hack aka Adventure Time: Ice King why are you stealing our garbage?!

also, atlus is atlus. They could easily remake and/or modernize a cult classic like Shining Force 

Edited by iStu X
18 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I’d definitely have faith in WayForward if they got something like Golden Axe or vector man. Look at how stellar River City Girls is and how well they adapted Ducktales which is one of the most beloved NES games of all time. 

They also did the stellar Contra 4 for DS and the amazing Zelda II rom hack aka Adventure Time: Ice King why are you stealing our garbage?!

also, atlus is atlus. They could easily remake and/or modernize a cult classic like Shining Force 

Well, i said modern gaming trends, aka reimagining the series into mother game genres 😜

And yes, i loved River City Girls.

It is why i am glad that ASW and Wayforward are becoming buddies and doing more projects toguether.

It gives me hope for the new RWBY game they announced are working on (And i am not really a fan of RWBY), but would gladly buy anything those 2 offer, if it keeps the quality of RCG.

And speaking of RCG, i need to check if they finally released the patch that added the alt ending on PS4, mt brother and I didnt finish the game again waiting for them to release it.

Edited by Hecatom