Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Taking a break from Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (which I’ve been writing about in the Switch thread. HINT HINT)  to finally dip my toe into the Yakuza series. 
08635979-74C1-4EEF-91FC-F98C2A6047D6.jpeg

I have the whole Kiryu Saga on PS4 but have never played a Yakuza before. The most experience I have with them is watching an ex I had over 10 years ago who was obsessed with the series.

Oh, and watching people from REDACTED post combo videos and promotional trailers. 

Edited by iStu X

Most games don't have intros like that anymore and it's kind of disappointing.  *grabs his cane and sits in his rocking chair* yessirrreeeee...Used to put the game in the console and read the manual while the intro played to further hype me up for playing.  Used to be my ritual for anytime I got a new game.

Soul Calibur II is def up there for really done intros.  It STILL gets me hype.  If we're talking about intros then gonna throw a few others in there.

Spoiler

Yeah I know how people feel about Smash in general but its hard to deny that his intro is amazingly well done.  I'd argue that it's the best intro among the Smash games with the 2nd belonging to Smash 4's

I know these 2 are mostly recut trailers but I find these to be extremely well edited with the music and I'm a sucker for that.

Really wish they had stuck with this artstyle and refined it further for Infinite.  Shame they didn't do the diorama come to life thing for the other pieces of the CG intro.

^ This still makes me hype despite the game not aging as well.

^Love how ridiculous this intro is

Love how Raiden was doing work on these 2 but inevitably gets bodied by Quan and Shang.

Really wish they had rerendered this for the HD remaster

There's some others that I'm having trouble thinking of at this moment

Bruh. How did I forget about Tekken 5? Jesus, it's possibly the most hype intro not just for games, but for anything ever. Ugh, SO fucking good. 😫

Sonic Boom is a classic too. SFxT intro was better than the game itself. And that's more a compliment on how damn sick that intro was than it is a mark on the game. 

The Armegeddon intro was like watching a movie as a kid. I couldn't believe my eyes. All these MK characters I'd known for years being killed off like flies. Its one of those intros I'd always leave playing in the background. 

Oh, and the way Stryker sucker punches Mileena after all that serious ass setup is fucking genius. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by M A R T I A N

Sheeeitttt, one of the first things that came to mind for me was from the king of cinematics, Blizzard with my beloved Diablo 3....the game is now 8 years old and I still let the intro play sometimes....

Another one of my favorite opening sequences ever is also playable, actually--- the GOAT herself, Bayonetta:

Mannn when I first experienced this greatness...

shocked holy shit GIF

8 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Bruh. How did I forget about Tekken 5? Jesus, it's possibly the most hype intro not just for games, but for anything ever. Ugh, SO fucking good. 😫

Sonic Boom is a classic too. SFxT intro was better than the game itself. And that's more a compliment on how damn sick that intro was than it is a mark on the game. 

The Armegeddon intro was like watching a movie as a kid. I couldn't believe my eyes. All these MK characters I'd known for years being killed off like flies. Its one of those intros I'd always leave playing in the background. 

Oh, and the way Stryker sucker punches Mileena after all that serious ass setup is fucking genius. 🤣🤣🤣

Armageddon's intro was definitely something I watched a lot of back in the day.  There's just so many good moments in it with Stryker's sucker punch and Shang's 'OH SHIT!' face when Zombie Kang shows up.

I don't know how I forgot for a moment how Blizzard is usually amazing at setting the tone for their games before you play.

More intros that I can think of

Spoiler

God man...I remember first seeing this in the arcade and having my young mind BLOWN.  Was like WTF IS THIS!?

This intro still hypes me up to this day.  Anytime they do a collection and they don't include it I get disappointed.

Still love this for how iconic and simplistic it is.

As iconic OoT's intro is between the 2 I'd easily have to give it to MM for being more memorable and tone setting.

I need more Peter Cullen voice overs for...anything really lol

5 hours ago, Angel said:

I wonder how hard it is going to be to transfer all this stuff on my old hdd to the new one on the ps5

Edit:  There isn't even enough room on the hdd that comes with the new ps5.....fuck u sony

Sonichuman posting nintendo clickbait lol

You might have to hold on to that HDD, the PS5 at launch doesn't have options to expand the SSD. You might be able to still run it through the old HDD unless I am mistaken and that is a future update as well.

Edit: Honestly best to keep the PS 4 on standby even if you get the PS5 at least for the first few months to avoid any issues that might pop up.

Edited by Wellman

I'm back into it with Vampyr again... trying out the shadow mist for a change...oddly enough I never used it until now...

https://vampyr.gamepedia.com/Shadow_Mist

This combined with "coagulation" power is GOLD... paralyze them for a moment with coagulate then hit them with the shadows.  I'm just using the first level of this ability and it's already standing out as an incredibly strong tactic; the damage is serious and it hits an area so other enemies in the immediate area around your main target will get hit too.

16 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

No.

I havent seen many reviews by major sites only small ones that said it was mediocre or bad.

If it goes on sale between black friday and Xmas for $20, I may get it.

Yeah I heard it was pretty bad. Gear of War style cover shooter without a cover system. From what I hear the developers are being receptive to the criticism received. Who knows, maybe they'll patch it into a decent game by the time it hits the bargin bin.

^oh yeah that's absolutely BOUGHT.  

...and those glorious graphics... I wish more "indie" types would make their 2d shit at least on par with something like this; the characters are clear and everything looks generally great instead of the half-ass or "couldn't afford to do better" look we've all seen for several years now when something "retro" is released.  As you see here, just a simple effort of 2-tone sprites, or 2-tone + highlight makes quite a difference in how everything looks...

Game Informer is streaming the new Assassin's Creed on Series X right now:

Edited by MillionX
14 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Ok

Okay what? You don’t have a point? That’s what I figured. 

im aware it’s a small fraction of the game but several sub stories I was working on at the time both revolved around rhythm games. 

idgaf how minute or important they are in the grand scheme of things. I can still find them annoying as hell .

Edited by iStu X
25 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

16 Bit retro > 8 Bit Retro

imo.

After playing Wallachia, I wish more devs would go 16 bit rather than 8. I remember the transition from NES to SNES and it was GLORIOUS, and as much as I love some 8 bit games, seems like that's the default when the word "retro" comes up.

I don't mind 8 bit...it's just that 16 bit hits the sweet spot of retro graphics that age well and is highly expressive when taking advantage of the options you have despite the limitations the gen offers. (if that makes sense) 

16 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Okay what? You don’t have a point? That’s what I figured. 

im aware it’s a small fraction of the game but several sub stories I was working on at the time both revolved around rhythm games. 

idgaf how minute or important they are in the grand scheme of things. I can still find them annoying as hell .

My point was well and clear in that first post I made. 

You are acting pretty extra over that tame bit of sarcasm my dude, it's OK if you find them annoying lol I'm sure most people would 

Edited by M A R T I A N