Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Miles is a complete game, and I'm glad I played it on my PS5 because switching between performance and fidelity mode was night and day. Locked 60 fps makes a huge difference, especially when switching back to check out the rest tracing in fidelity mode. The game is unplayable to me in 30 fps.

Started Demon's Souls last night. Having not played any souls game before, I can't really say anything about what's new and improved. But I will say I did the same test, switching between fidelity and performance. 60 fps at 4K is an amazing experience. One that I look forward to while revisiting Ghost of Tsushima and GoW. 

Also, Astro's Playroom is fantastic for a free next gen game that showcases the potential for the DualSense controller.

Yeah, I'm really glad I was able to grab a PS5. Have zero regrets about it whatsoever.

But I totally understand people have reservations about early adopting, and that's OK. Doesn't phase my enthusiasm for having one at all.

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

But I totally understand people have reservations about early adopting, and that's OK.

I mean I really want one and know I’m gonna pick it up eventually, but there ain’t nothing on that platform for me right now. But it seems to be one hell of a machine, and it’s like $200 cheaper than I thought it was. 

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Miles is a complete game, and I'm glad I played it on my PS5 because switching between performance and fidelity mode was night and day. Locked 60 fps makes a huge difference, especially when switching back to check out the rest tracing in fidelity mode. The game is unplayable to me in 30 fps.

Started Demon's Souls last night. Having not played any souls game before, I can't really say anything about what's new and improved. But I will say I did the same test, switching between fidelity and performance. 60 fps at 4K is an amazing experience. One that I look forward to while revisiting Ghost of Tsushima and GoW. 

Also, Astro's Playroom is fantastic for a free next gen game that showcases the potential for the DualSense controller.

Yeah, I'm really glad I was able to grab a PS5. Have zero regrets about it whatsoever.

But I totally understand people have reservations about early adopting, and that's OK. Doesn't phase my enthusiasm for having one at all.

What are the main differences between the miles game and the peter parker one besides him being able to say the n-word?  

2 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

and latino!

There's actually a lot of cultural diversity in the game, which I found to be pretty awesome. Don't get me wrong, Peter Parker is my guy. But it's refreshing to see a plot that isn't centered around a white dude fighting white bad guys hired by a white crime boss. It didn't feel forced or like they were just trying to succumb to annoying SJWs. The whole game felt organic.

Especially when Miles jumps off of buildings with the swagger of a young black man.

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I think I’m at like 5.5-6 hours. I feel like a second play through would end up being 3 or 4 total 

Nice! 

That game is really fun to speed run. I think it's missing some of the complexities that makes 2 a lot of fun to speed run though. I was really dissapointed there's no ink ribbon saves. 

I think the hardest checks are the early Nemesis sections, the power plant and the storage facility right before the lab. 

Even if you're not interested in speedrunning, check out Orchlon. This dude is a God. It's just fascinating seeing the tricks he uses to steal away a few extra seconds. 

8 minutes ago, Angel said:

Ah, I see those are the ONLY things, thanks for bringing this to my attention

Nah man, I was being facetious. It's an entire new story, with two sets of different enemy groups. The way you fight them is new, as they have certain things that make you have to think about what you're doing. There were times when I found myself frustrated that what I did in the first game wasn't working. Then I thought, hey, I'm motherfucking SPIDER-MAN. I need to start acting like it. And when I started doing things that only a spider could do, I fucking wrecked shit.

I'll admit the game is shorter than the original, but there is a lot of side content to keep you busy if you enjoy swinging through New York. Which, let's be honest, that's the reason for playing this game in the first place. It's not any shorter than the Uncharted games though. There's also New Game + with more unlockables and harder difficulties.

Edited by Chadouken

I found out that I had accumulated over 5GB of auto-captured trophy videos. Whoops!

If you want to turn off the trophy videos, you can do so in Settings (the gear icon at the top of the home screen). Head into Captures and Broadcasts, go down to Trophies, and toggle off "Save Trophy Videos."

If you want to watch or delete these video captures (none of mine seemed to pick up anything funny or weird), you can find them in the Settings menu under Storage – pop into the Media Gallery.

It's also worth pointing out that you can have the DualSense microphone muted by default. In the Settings, go to Sound, and then switch the "Microphone Status When Logged In" option to "mute."

24 minutes ago, Angel said:

Here is to hoping the ps5 pros have more than 600 gigs of space on its hdd

I'm loading my PS4 games on a 512GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. Putting PS4 games on the PS5 hard drive is waste of space. 

Edit: I got mine from $70 which is what Amazon and Best Buy had it for.

https://www.newegg.com/pny-model-p-fd512pro-ge-512gb/p/N82E16820178993

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I'm just downplaying a game as I want to play it. I don't really have more than a couple games going at once anyway, with a few staples like Rocket League always on there. 

I can access my digital library any time I want. Don't see the need to transfer all of it. And physical games I'll just put the disc in when I want to play.

PSN automatically cloud saves all my game progress too. So when I want to play a game I own, I just download that as well real quick. Keeps my SSD free from clutter 

22 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Almost all my PS4 games are physical but I'll probably do the thumb drive thing for the few digital 4 games I do have. 

You can put your physical games on a thumb drive according to the Playstation FAQ

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/#ps4onps5

Yes. Storing PS4 games and playing them off a USB drive is a great way to access PS4 games on PS5 and enable easy access to PS4 games without needing to use any of PS5’s internal storage. We recommend doing this to save space on the internal console storage for PS5 games, which can’t be played off an extended storage drive.

Players can also set a system preference on PS5 that will, by default, install all PS4 games (including digital purchases from PlayStation Store, and game data from Blu-ray discs) and future game patches directly to a connected USB drive.

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I meant the transfer speed. 

Whatever is going on with the PS4 to PS5 transfer situation needs to be addressed. Despite "failing" to transfer it did transfer half my save files and then upon a second attempt that "failed" the rest of them. Wasn't trying to move any games given how pissy it was about moving just my save data, if I had to do it all over gain, I would have just downloaded my saves from the cloud. 😑

Edit: I'll give the PS5 this much. If you have an sort of external storage it installs PS4 games there by default.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

What's a good external drive for the PS4 and PS5 (or just the PS4; same question)?

I'm realizing that the PS5 won't have better storage options for a while. Hell, SSD storage won't get cheaper for a while. So I'm thinking with the PS5 (when I get it next year) I'll offload games onto an external drive when I'm not playing them. I just want the external I pick to be good for the PS4 too, as I'm not going to immediately dump it.

Been looking at these:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Playstation-Portable-External-STGD4000400/dp/B076826S5R/ref=sxin_9_sxwds-deals-bau?cv_ct_cx=external+drive+4tb&dchild=1&keywords=external+drive+4tb&link_code=qs&pd_rd_i=B076826S5R&pd_rd_r=dd0da2de-cf0a-43ac-b40c-08a830b35c3e&pd_rd_w=IFYwN&pd_rd_wg=aBHIy&pf_rd_p=2c544996-d1bf-4fce-93e0-4834f2351955&pf_rd_r=A9Q3TYVGG220X98TFFJR&psc=1&qid=1606561482&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=1-1-1903e5b0-5a58-4801-8a92-532ede568110&tag=mozilla-20

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-External/dp/B07X41PWTY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=external%2Bdrive%2B4tb&link_code=qs&qid=1606561482&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-4&tag=mozilla-20&th=1

EDIT: Never mind. I'm going with this WD My Passport drive I'm seeing. Might buy 2 (one for my computer).

Edited by axeman61
12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I would have just downloaded my saves from the cloud

Bruh, it's so easy that way. All my saves are automatically backed up there so it was simple to just grab my data á la carte as I need it.

5 hours ago, axeman61 said:

What's a good external drive for the PS4 and PS5

The Samsung T5s and T7s are great. They can take advantage of the PS5's rear USB A and C ports that are rated at 10 GB/s  (Xbox is only rated to 5GB/s 🤭).

Copped myself a Dualsense controller. Been using it on Steam. 

You obviously don't get any of the PS5 functionality, like the locking triggers or haptic feedback, but otherwise it feels amazing. It's slightly more weighty than the DS4, which is perfect. The material on the area where your last three fingers will grip is VERY slightly granulated, while the rest of it is smooth. It's a nice distinction from the rest of the surface area of the controller and my grip feels ever so slightly more stable due to it. 

Haven't charged the thing since I bought it, and I've played for a little over 3 hours total. Already better battery life than the DS4, lol. 

Buttons feel great. Not too clicky but not too soft either. It also has compete and total functionality with every Steam game I've played so far. 

Basically, early impressions are good. It's a major improvement upon the Dualshock line in my opinion, even without all the cool PS5 specific functionality. 

Also, sorry for the unrelated double post but... Did ya'll know the Lost Planet 2 servers are still working?? 

Game is 3 fuckin dollars right now on Steam so I copped it. Such an underrated game, it was one of my favorites from last gen. It even looks like a current gen game on PC, almost. 

There's even people playing still. I was able to hop into some random missions. What an unexpected treat this is 😬

I also copped Metal Gear Revengance, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Dishonored 1 (never beat it) and Sonic CD. 😎

There's some insanely good deals on Steam right now. Would highly reccomend checking your wishlists. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

You'll need to download the newest version of GFWL to get the game to even work. 

I did. It actually wasn't nearly as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. I think I got through the bulk of the setup already back when I bought SFxT, so it wasn't really much trouble at all getting it to work with Lost Planet. 

That being said: fuck GFWL. Good lord. Easily the worst launcher in existence. Epic Store and Battle.net are godlike compared to that barely functioning trash. 

Edited by M A R T I A N