Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Bloodborne is dark souls but with actual engaging combat, you know cool and exciting stuff like chunking poison blades at ppl from doorways they can't get through and then waiting on them to die like the ineffectual and impotent little imps that they are.     It also features  a wide range of emotion displayed in the characters faces just like all From Soft games......

anyways can we get a fucking new Armored Core?   All this new tech and the only mech games we get are silly stuff like Override 2 or Panzer Paladin?  

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth Early Access ‘Stages 3 and 4’ update delayed to January 2021

No longer due out in November.

• According to the companies, the following points are being worked on for the update in response to user feedback:
  • Addition of other language support for the pause and key config menus.
  • Addition of volume and other settings to the pause menu.
  • Addition of gamepad rumble support.
  • A new Game Manual, which can be checked in game at any time.
  • The resolution of the text font will be doubled, for ease of viewing.
  • From Stage 3 there will be new enemies which can inflict faint, poison and burn status effects.
  • Aiming the bow has been adjusted to slow down while holding down the backdash button.
  • New mini games.

That game was what everyone wanted in a sotn clone just from looks alone lol.

Speaking of wants.   It would be nice before I die,  for us to get the Yoshinari brothers back together to work on a new Valkyrie Profile. 

I could go on all day about old ip's I want to see return like Breath of Fire or the Shining series.   But seriously that Lodoss game is a such a nostalgia bomb.    That's what really got me into dnd and anime honestly.    Like I loved cartoons and what have you but I didn't really go out of my way to look for anime until that.   All thanks to my local anime club being a bunch of nerds and grabbing me from the Time Out arcade

I went ahead with Jedi Fallen Order and started it earlier tonight... fantastic opening sequence there, at least when the action finally started (*a bit too heavy on the platforming at first, imo)

"Second Sister" - I've already been spoiled on what she looks like without the mask....oh yes she is quite hittable.  Such a cool design with this one; it is seriously one of the coolest outfits I've seen in the whole Star Wars franchise.

18 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I do not but I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy. I have DS1R on PS4 tho if you can find it there for cheap perhaps that would be dope. We still have to play Bloodborne you know. 

Yeah let me know if you grab it. I got a ps3 copy ages ago but thought having it portably would get me to play more and I put a good bit of time into it but at some point I put it down. Would like to run through it with someone though. And I'm down to play Bloodborne anytime! Were back in our house now so I'm back on my ps4 a good bit these days. 

12 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I downloaded it when it became free. Maybe I didn't let it breathe long enough but I couldn't get into it. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

You should. Its one of those slow burn type of games where what you initially think it's about is only part of the story and there's a lot of great lore too. The combat is actually really great for a souls type game and there are lots of fun weapons like the fencing sword that's also a gun, the BowBlade, and the Moonlight Great Sword. Maybe we could have a MegaShock Bloodborne night sometime.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah let me know if you grab it. I got a ps3 copy ages ago but thought having it portably would get me to play more and I put a good bit of time into it but at some point I put it down. Would like to run through it with someone though. And I'm down to play Bloodborne anytime! Were back in our house now so I'm back on my ps4 a good bit these days. 

Will do. I have it on PS3 as well. No Mic support there tho and I'm kinda over sign chasing through text lol. 

So, I'm right outside a boss fight I think.  Made it through the Stonefang mines, and I eventually found a room with a bunch of spiderwebs.  Went down an elevator to another room with more spiderwebs and a big fog door.  I know what the fuck is waiting for me on the other side of that fog, but I don't know if I'm ready to fight that motherfucker.  I have like 5,000 souls and I'm thinking I might go grind some more and level up, then come back.  I have a stone shield I just found but I'm not strong enough to use it, so I want to level my strength up first.

Just now, BornWinner said:

dunking on Nintendo

Can well all agree that Nintendo is made up of a bunch of turds and move on? They're militantly defensive of their games and IPs, even if there's no way to buy said game from them. 

I'm just tired of these dorks complaining because it won't do shit to Nintendo's bottom line. Parents are still going to buy their kid a switch cause it doesn't need a TV to play so they can still ignore their children and rewatch season 2 of sex in the city while they do it.

And the people trying to shit talk on twitter are still going to buy their first party games. Hell, they'll probably drop $300 when the Switch Pro drops next year. 

Nintendo wins, you lose. Either boycott them or shut the fuck up. 

If these fucking weebs had their act together they would get a gofundme going and get a lawyer to challenge Nintendo if they really thought they had something. The whole smash thing is interesting to me from a legal perspective. 

The more I think about it the more I'm trying to figure out.. When Nintendo signed up as a sponsor how did they exactly think the tournament would work? In a pandemic. I'm legit curious, they know this is a 20 yr old game and not playable online without shenanigans. So now I'm legit like.. Did Nintendo do this on purpose to put a nail in the coffin of smash? It's something to think about when you think of the whole sponsorship aspect of Nintendo 

5 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The more I think about it the more I'm trying to figure out.. When Nintendo signed up as a sponsor how did they exactly think the tournament would work? In a pandemic. I'm legit curious, they know this is a 20 yr old game and not playable online without shenanigans. So now I'm legit like.. Did Nintendo do this on purpose to put a nail in the coffin of smash? It's something to think about when you think of the whole sponsorship aspect of Nintendo 

The smart thing to do was just not have Melee at all if Nintendo is putting their stamp on it. Smash is bigger than Melee. Ultimate exists. 

16 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

The amount of people trying to go viral by dunking on Nintendo for doing something any company would do is embarrassing.

The difference between the two images? The Square Enix one is a response to some fanart the guy did. The Nintendo one is a response to the same guy trying to sell a shirt with fanart of a Nintendo character on it.

People are quite dumb when it comes to those matters.

They let themselves go by feelings, and assume that just because they feel or think is wrong, it must be nintendo that is in the wrong.

Then add that people dont really care about taking the time and learn the context of the subject, and just take at face value whatever is posted in social media.

I noticed that this kind of mentality is mostly prevalent on the usa side of the web.

I pressume due how murky it can be for them to deal with copyright laws and the exceptions, leaving too many gray areas to navigate.

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The smart thing to do was just not have Melee at all if Nintendo is putting their stamp on it. Smash is bigger than Melee. Ultimate exists. 

I get that but that doesn't answer my question. What exactly did Nintendo think was gonna happen. They knew going in what this tournament was about. So I'm trying to figure out how they exactly thought this shit was gonna happen. 

35 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

So, I'm right outside a boss fight I think.  Made it through the Stonefang mines, and I eventually found a room with a bunch of spiderwebs.  Went down an elevator to another room with more spiderwebs and a big fog door.  I know what the fuck is waiting for me on the other side of that fog, but I don't know if I'm ready to fight that motherfucker.  I have like 5,000 souls and I'm thinking I might go grind some more and level up, then come back.  I have a stone shield I just found but I'm not strong enough to use it, so I want to level my strength up first.

There's nothing worse than wandering into a boss fight with a ton of souls and debating whether to warp out and spend them because you don't want to lose them if you can't beat the boss in one go, but also knowing that if you do, you'll probably have to go all the way back through that level to get to the boss again and still have another big cache of souls and if you die, you'll be having to dodge the boss while trying to pick up the souls you lost when you died. From making you choose between a shit sandwich and a diarrhea burrito. 😂

Edited by DoctaMario
16 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Can well all agree that Nintendo is made up of a bunch of turds and move on? They're militantly defensive of their games and IPs, even if there's no way to buy said game from them. 

I'm just tired of these dorks complaining because it won't do shit to Nintendo's bottom line. Parents are still going to buy their kid a switch cause it doesn't need a TV to play so they can still ignore their children and rewatch season 2 of sex in the city while they do it.

And the people trying to shit talk on twitter are still going to buy their first party games. Hell, they'll probably drop $300 when the Switch Pro drops next year. 

Nintendo wins, you lose. Either boycott them or shut the fuck up. 

The truth is that every company is very millitant to defend their ips.

Specially when dealing with stuff in places like USA, since the way that copyright law is applied leaves the door open for them losing big if there is precedent that they let something slide in the past, but then try to apply the law later.

Lets not forget the fiasco when Disney didnt allow a father to put some disney/marvel image on his 4-6yo son tombstone.

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

There's nothing worse than wandering into a boss fight with a ton of souls and debating whether to warp out

This is exactly my dilemma, LOL.  I think I'm going to head out and try 1-2  before coming back for the boss.  Maybe even 3-1 and 4-1 just to check them out.  I figure if I grind just a little bit before doing the bosses, they should be a little more manageable.  Plus it will give me an opportunity to explore first, and kinda get a better feel of the world.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

If these fucking weebs had their act together they would get a gofundme going and get a lawyer to challenge Nintendo if they really thought they had something. The whole smash thing is interesting to me from a legal perspective. 

IIRC The Big House is annual tournament that Nintendo sponsors. They had a working relationship. It's why Nintendo asked them to stop and didn't go straight to the C&D. 

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I pressume due how murky it can be for them to deal with copyright laws and the exceptions, leaving too many gray areas to navigate.

You can thank fair use for that. What constitutes as fair use and what areas it covers is a huge legal grey area. When it comes to emulation I believe that falls into reverse engineering when it comes to law. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

You can thank fair use for that. What constitutes as fair use and what areas it covers is a huge legal grey area. When it comes to emulation I believe that falls into reverse engineering when it comes to law. 

When it comes to emulation (and software/hardware development for the matters) what constitutes to fair use are 

* Reverse engineering to make the emulator work.

It is why most emulators that exists dont offer the bios on their page, since the bios are never reverse engineered but copies of the actual rom in the consoles.

* Dumping your own copy of the rom to play it via emulation.

Since it lands under the laws that protect the consumer about letting them use their goods as they please (with the sole esceptions of those laws being movies and music when it comes to certain scenarios)

* In some cases it has been acepted owning a copy of the game and a rom, even if the rom you have is not a copy of your game, but it has not accepted always, from what i know.

Then you have the whole gray area that is running tournaments, where legally any company has the right to shut down any event be tournaments, conventions, etc, if they wanted to, but most companies allow them to certain extent as long they dont interfere with their own interests.

For example, last year Namco/Bandai shut down an event by levelup series iirc (i am probably remembering wrong that they were the organizers) for DBFZ, since unlike the other events that are grassroots, this was an invitational that they were charging money and profiting from it, without having BN as part of the sponsors.

I remember that like with this meele fiasco, the organizers came to social media painting themselves as victims and spining the narrative that BN was attacking the grassroots scene.

Right now i think there is no precedent for tournaments ran in emulation.

Which is why Nintendo wouldnt take risks letting it slide.

4 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Has it always been the same game? 

I think it has always housed Meele and the current Smash.

The difference is that it was a regular tournament, from what i know.

But with Covid being a thing this year, the format transitioned to an online event this year.

Which is why the meeleturds tried to get their way and run it via emulation.

It's not the emulation that bothered Nintendo as much as everyone who running a Emulator has to ether get the Game Cube disc or more likely an ISO of the game. 
Emulators are legal, but depending where you get your Roms, its not. That is where Nintendo can stand on their high ground and send C&Ds and lawsuits. 

Also you don't need to be right to send out a lawsuit (as its the courts to decide who right), you just have to be offended. 

All Nintendo has to say is Melee has their Corporate Trademarks inside the Game so they don't authorize Melee for use. 
Mario is Nintendo's corporate mascot, even if the Tournament tries to ban Mario from play Mario is in the game and is enough to go after anyone on Trademark violations.

There also the copyright violations with the Rom/iso files, Melee is copyrighted and unauthorized distributed copies are piracy.

Also Nintendo has the right to infer not everyone has a legal copy of Melee in the tournament. 

There the other point that the tournament is trying to run a mod on the game, which Nintendo has a history of squashing that in court. 

It's Nintendo's property and they have not the privilege, but the responsibility and legal obligation to send out C&Ds and lawsuits. 
Dealing with Trademarks, by law you have to aggressively protect your Trademarks legally if you want to keep them .

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I think it has always housed Meele and the current Smash.

The difference is that it was a regular tournament, from what i know.

But with Covid being a thing this year, the format transitioned to an online event this year.

Which is why the meeleturds tried to get their way and run it via emulation.

Which goes back to my original question. What did Nintendo think was gonna happen in a covid world? Did they think it was gonna be in person? If so that's fucked on their part. 

I totally get the whole smash is shit side but I'm just curious wtf did Nintendo think was gonna happen

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

What did Nintendo think was gonna happen in a covid world? Did they think it was gonna be in person? If so that's fucked on their part

There's no money for Nintendo sponsoring a melee tournament. What they wanted (and what they got) is to kill the melee side of the tournament in it's entirety. 

Nintendo ain't selling Melee, they're selling Ultimate. It'd be like holding your ex's purse while she goes to the bathroom. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. 

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

What did Nintendo think was gonna happen in a covid world? Did they think it was gonna be in person? If so that's fucked on their part. 

Here the thing, it's not Nintendo's problem or concern that people can or can not have a Melee tournament during the Pandemic. 

There only legal obligation is to protect their Intellectual Property. 

Netplay on a game that never had Netplay is not Nintendo's problem. And they have zero obligation to address it.

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

Which goes back to my original question. What did Nintendo think was gonna happen in a covid world? Did they think it was gonna be in person? If so that's fucked on their part. 

I totally get the whole smash is shit side but I'm just curious wtf did Nintendo think was gonna happen

They have been involved with the tournament by some years now.

Is not unreasonable to assume that they thought that keeping the sponsor with them wouldnt lead to this fiasco simply because they pressumed that an online only event would only run the games that have online capabilities.

Hence when they announced the meele event, they instead going by a C and D, they had the courtesy to ask first and resolve everything amicably.

Common sense says that if you know you are sponsored by a company that is agressive when protecting their trademark, you wouldnt do stupid shit like running a tournament on an emulator with a mod.

But alas, meeleturds are not known for having common sense.

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

There's no money for Nintendo sponsoring a melee tournament. What they wanted (and what they got) is to kill the melee side of the tournament in it's entirety. 

Nintendo ain't selling Melee, they're selling Ultimate. It'd be like holding your ex's purse while she goes to the bathroom. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. 

There is money on sponsoring the event though, since Meele is not the only event on the Tree House tournaments.

And even when they are no longer selling meele, they are selling ultimate.

There is always the possibility that someone casually watching a meele event will get interested on trying the new entry.

Plus, is a game that has characters for multiple games.

Having a healthy relationship with your fans is always a good market strategy.

The problem here is that the meeleturds feel entitled, and think that they are morally in the right to do what they please simply because Nintendo isnt selling Meele anymore.

Which is false.

They are not selling Meele, yes, but they are selling the sequel.

Plus they own the ips and trademarks in the game.

Is not a thing about morality, but simply a thing of law, and they need to uphold their own interests.

If they really want to do Netplay with an online tournament with Melee, they should of approached Nintendo and be prepared to make their case.
Probably Nintendo wants a large amount of financial incentive to green light anything like this, and would probably dictate how everything can go down. 

Nintendo probably will insist everyone plays on the Switch, have their accounts registered, pay a licensing agreement for the one time use of Melee.
Pretty much Nintendo going to change each player $60 for a rental of Melee, and the Tournament needs to fund the R&D to make it happen. 

1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

they're STILL going to play nintendo games

mood GIF

If you aren't happy about how someone is treating the thing you like, don't support them, you stinky, nasty fingernail having ass-clowns.

Look at Hecatom. That dude isn't going to buy Strive cause he doesn't like the direction ASW is taking the franchise. He's literally putting is money where his mouth is. Respect. 

3 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

No matter how much bitching the smashers make, they're STILL going to play nintendo games at the end of the day so they can keep being manbabies about this as a laugh. 

Which makes their stupid remarks about anyone calling them out on their stupidity, being nintendrones truly ironic.

Those niggas dont even play any game in the genre that isnt smash because it is not from nintendo XD

54 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Specially when dealing with stuff in places like USA, since the way that copyright law is applied leaves the door open for them losing big if there is precedent that they let something slide in the past, but then try to apply the law later.

This is why you have shops specializing in replicas of the Delorean Time Machine and 0 for Batmobiles. 

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

This is why you have shops specializing in replicas of the Delorean Time Machine and 0 for Batmobiles. 

But those shops still get the rights to make those Replicas, for the Delorean its both the Movie and Automobile Rights.
And the Batmobile, WB and DC is about as jealous as Nintendo when it comes to IP.  Any Batman iconography is heavily protected by WB/DC. 

1 minute ago, DarkSakul said:

Pretty much Nintendo going to change each player $60 for a rental of Melee, and the Tournament needs to fund the R&D to make it happen. 

Why do this when they can make more money when they release the next DLC character, Miranda's from Mass Effects butt?

Nintendo doesn't give a shit about working on good netcode cause their game sold 22 million copies without it. 

They don't give a shit about pandering to the hardcore crowd (especially Melee players) cause they *checks notes* sold 22 million copies without having to do anything for them. 

They want you to buy their game (which is never on sale) and all the DLC content. They don't want people to know that they can play a game (that a lot of people say is the pinnacle of the series) for free, with better netcode they didn't create. 

They want you to spend $15 on the season pass that, along with Miranda's butt, comes with a slice of pizza that Dante took a bite out of and Professor E. Gadds CPAP machine