Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

naturally I loved Lord of Shadows 2, at least in the beginning part.... it's like that opening sequence was designed specifically for my taste.  I'm sitting on the throne as the legendary Prince of Darkness himself, and here comes these pitiful humans trying to be the hero....heh, foolish mortals.... 🍷 "What is a man, but a miserable pile of secrets?!"

Torchlight 3--- Ember Mage and the Forged character-classes have been fun to play so far....especially since I have my "shadow-step" teleport now as the mage.  In any action-rpg some real fun starts for me once that "quick movement" ability is unlocked.

AMALUR--ah, I'm at the part now that is a potential game-breaker... I may test it later to see if they ever fixed it.  The basic situation:

There is a part where the main quest gives you an objective to break 3 "Chantrys", which are large red crystal-looking things, surrounded by "Tuatha" enemies.  However, it is possible to be in those areas and break the Chantrys BEFORE the main quest tells you to do that.  If you do this, that part of the main quest will become impossible since it won't recognize that you already broke those....at least that is the situation on the original release; I am not sure if they fixed it in the remake.  Anyway, don't break the chantrys before the main quest tells you to do so.  This is in the latter half of the game, on the eastern side of the map.

Edited by MillionX
47 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Chalk up another one for an LOS fan. I really liked LOS1 and liked LOS2 enough. We just rarely got to talk about it on SRK because every time someone mentioned LOS, Po would have a fucking annurism and piss all over the page. 

(inserts random hateful rant about Capcom) 

There fam, you should feel at home now. 👍🏾

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I liked LOS1 as well but I couldn't finish LOS2,the modern setting and stealth missions killed it for me. Back to LOS1 I remember I beat the game on hard from the start. It's one of the few games that let's you change the difficulty setting from the beginning without having to beat the game first on default difficulty. That being said the game was still a little easy, bosses weren't much of a thread, I pretty much beat them with the same two hit combo + dodge, rinse repeat. Satan was the only one I had a hard time with. Everything else was great, the graphics, the setting, the soundtrack was good although it didn't have any of the music any other of the castlevanias are known for I think I only recognized one track from super castlevania IV and that was it. What the game needed was to incorporate more castlevania elements to make it feel more like a castlevania game. They could have done that for the sequel but instead they focused to much on the story side on the second part rather than the gameplay IMO. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede

About

Destroy… Absorb… Grow… GRIME is a fast and unforgiving action adventure RPG in which you crush your foes with living weapons that mutate form and function, and then consume their remains with a black hole to strengthen your vessel as you break apart a world of anatomical horror and intrigue.

An unusual material collapses in on itself, the world shudders and contracts, and suddenly you are squeezed into existence. What awaits you is a world unknown, alien in its own familiarity, and you must survive what terrors you face. Explore your surreal surroundings, absorb the many enemies you encounter, and use their own traits against them as you let yourself become far more than you once were.

GRIME lets you play to your preference, upgrading only those traits you feel most suited to your unique style. You’ll find there is more than one way to break open an enemy as you move through a variety of evocative environments, meet their inhabitants, and discover the source of their madness.

Key Features

Eye-Popping Surrealism – Uncover mysterious secrets in weeping caves and face-covered desserts. Meet otherworldly characters in distinct civilizations across an organic, interconnected world – all rendered in unearthly 3D. Face foes born of the world itself, and swallow them whole.

Living Weapons – Seamlessly swap weapons made of living creatures that mutate form during combat, from clawing swords to centipede whips.

Death-Defying Combat – Punish enemies by parrying their attacks, smash them from the ground or even airborne, and absorb them to grow your strength as you wage war on a living world.

Unique Skill Progression – Hunt down and absorb challenging monsters to improve your skills and bring true customization to your play style.

Challenge Menacing Bosses – Battle against creatures dozens of times your size. Adapt to their strategies, withstand their assault, and consume them to gain game-changing abilities that affect both combat and traversal.

22 hours ago, Skort said:

Tbh it has so many combo routers it gets insane. I can't remember all of them but i know i enjoyed the holy skill tree more even though the shadow one is cool as well.I really does have a complex combat system and when you combine it with the multiple weapon / resources you got, holy water, daggers, pixies and so on it makes for an awesome experience. 

The boss fights were satisfying and i'm not just talking about the Lords of Shadow themselves, oh no, there a  plenty of other bosses that were a lot of fun such as the Butcher / Furnace master , the big ogre in the castle and the list goes on.The platforming was good and the puzzles sometimes made me scratch my head a bit. I dislike having to backtrack on some stages when i find the proper upgrades to unlock a certain path but i't  a minor complaint, i enjoy the game a lot regardless.

I may try Paladin difficulty but this is not an easy game at all imo, it could get intense.

I definitely loved that the puzzles were actually good as opposed to how they are in most action games. I would have been ok with even more but I imagine it would break things up too much. 

Paladin is fun, that's where the combo engine really comes to life like in many action games. You should definitely try it out! 

5 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

What the game needed was to incorporate more castlevania elements to make it feel more like a castlevania game. They could have done that for the sequel but instead they focused to much on the story side on the second part rather than the gameplay IMO. 

I legit don't understand this line of thinking from people. If you played and knew the series, LoS (1 anyway) is Castlevania in spades. I suspect the only people who think it's "not Castlevania" are people who played SotN, Rondo, and a couple other random CV games (probably the Sorrow games, now THOSE are games that don't really feel like Castlevania imo) and based it off that. 

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Chalk up another one for an LOS fan. I really liked LOS1 and liked LOS2 enough. We just rarely got to talk about it on SRK because every time someone mentioned LOS, Po would have a fucking annurism and piss all over the page. 

I also liked the LOS series. 

They are serviceable action games and were an interesting take on the Castlevavia series, imo. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I legit don't understand this line of thinking from people. If you played and knew the series, LoS (1 anyway) is Castlevania in spades. I suspect the only people who think it's "not Castlevania" are people who played SotN, Rondo, and a couple other random CV games (probably the Sorrow games, now THOSE are games that don't really feel like Castlevania imo) and based it off that. 

interesting you say this

I didn't say that actually, it was a friend of mine who said it. I was going to quote it but i was running out of time so I made it my own.

I think you're right my friend started with SOTN and he fucking loves that game he also has played all the Castlevanias thereafter. He has never touched the older games.

SOTN I think is overrated after i beat circle of the moon i stopped playing all of the igarashi games.

I started with the first castlevania in the nes and i prefer the older games than the new ones with simon's quest and castlevania 3d being some of my favorites.

Edited by rukawa_kaede