Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

6 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

But those shops still get the rights to make those Replicas, for the Delorean its both the Movie and Automobile Rights.
And the Batmobile, WB and DC is about as jealous as Nintendo when it comes to IP.  Any Batman iconography is heavily protected by WB/DC.

The "Time Machine" is a completely different animal. Since Universal allows people to recreate the car, they are basically waiving that right. Warner/DC will rain fire if you try to do that. Those shops don't have a licensing agreement with Universal or DMC to make the car.

Once you let one person do it, it creates a precedent. Universal doesn't care about the "Time Machine" because it's free advertising. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

The "Time Machine" is a completely different animal. Since Universal allows people to recreate the car, they are basically waiving that right.

Not really. You are free to modify your DeLorean Automobile, moment you start selling replicas you better have licensing from Universal and the holder to the DeLorean name.
Usually Universal will set you up with the other license in the same single agreement as they want people to make replicas so they can make royalties. 
In this case Universal acting as a Front Man for the DeLorean Trademark. 

22 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Here the thing, it's not Nintendo's problem or concern that people can or can not have a Melee tournament during the Pandemic. 

There only legal obligation is to protect their Intellectual Property. 

Netplay on a game that never had Netplay is not Nintendo's problem. And they have zero obligation to address it.

No it's Def their concern. If your name is on the tournament as an official sponsor and you didn't think to check how the fuck they did it. Let's say it's in person and every fucking nerd gets covid. 

Now let's say someone has auto immune issues. Because that's not a real big stretch with these weebs. The shit show that could have happened for Nintendo because they are an official sponsor is potentially big. 

You protect your ip by checking in on wtf is going on. 

Even if the fucking bare minimum they do legally is have them sign papers saying if you get covid that's on you. No matter what the optics will look like Nintendo is at fault not the weebs or tournament organizers. People only know Nintendo and that's what's gonna be in headlines. 

Edited by Maxx
1 minute ago, Maxx said:

No it's Def their concern.

Confused Larry David GIF

I dunno man. The Melee-ites, as silly as they seem to be, know that there's a pandemic and it's up to them to have the tournament in person or not. 

If you're skydiving and the pilot tells you there's no more parachutes and you jump out of the plane, it's on you. 

Should the pilot of brought enough parachutes? Yeah, but he's not pushing you out of the plane. 

Not really. You are free to modify your DeLorean Automobile, moment you start selling replicas you better have licensing from Universal and the holder to the DeLorean name.
Usually Universal will set you up with the other license in the same single agreement as they want people to make replicas so they can make royalties. 
In this case Universal acting as a Front Man for the DeLorean Trademark. 

Donut Media did an entire video about this:

The Time Machine may be one of the few times where IP infringment got a blind eye at the corporate level. 

Here is one of the shop builders who make replicas making clarifications:

The cars are not "licensed" per Universal's instructions. They aren't in that business. Even though they reference a piece of work in a movie, they are in no way affiliated with Universal. 

The companies out here are trying to protect their neck. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
3 minutes ago, Maxx said:

No it's Def their concern. If your name is on the tournament as an official sponsor and you didn't think to check how the fuck they did it. Let's say it's in person and every fucking nerd gets covid. 

Now let's say someone has auto immune issues. Because that's not a real big stretch with these weebs. The shit show that could have happened for Nintendo because they are an official sponsor is potentially big. 

Even if the fucking bare minimum they do legally is have them sign papers saying if you get covid that's on you. No matter what the optics will look like Nintendo is at fault not the weebs or tournament organizers. People only know Nintendo and that's what's gonna be in headlines. 

Nintendo is not a fault for anything here. The event was originally cancelled because of covid just like every other tournament. When Slippi became a thing the TOs decided to revive the tournament as an online event. Presumably Nintendo has no issue with this as Ultimate is playable online and has hosted their own online events for the game. Shit only got fucked when Melee got introduced. They were pushing their luck for even including Melee on the online event given how it needed to be played. 

Just now, Maxx said:

Let's say it's in person and every fucking nerd gets covid. 

That isn't Nintendo's concern at all.

Just now, Maxx said:

No, Nintendo would just cancel everything and pull the plug. They done so at the beginning of the Pandemic with a few trade shows and conventions. 

Nintendo owes no one anything at all. Tournament be dammed, Nintendo has pulled the plug on Tournaments a day before the event because it was not in Nintendo's own interests, even if they were the sponsor. 

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

No, you protect your IP by preventing anyone from using it without your Expressed and Written permission. 
And if they want to go around that you sue the shit out of them. Its literally their legal obligation to do so. 

Nintendo never had nor ever will any sort of obligation to any community that outside of their cooperation.
Nintendo does not really care if there never a tournament every again.  If they wanted to they can tomorrow end all support of Ultimate Online play and go after anyone who wants to do any online Smash Play. They keep the Ultimate online up and running as it's incentive for people to pay into the Nintendo Online service and if you give them Ultimate online, they are less likely to hack another version of Smash for online. Melee is the exception as their player base are spoiled man-children who needs to be repeatedly bodied.

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I find kind of funny how you refer to the nintendrones as weebs.

Same shit just bottom tier of weebs. 

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Confused Larry David GIF

I dunno man. The Melee-ites, as silly as they seem to be, know that there's a pandemic and it's up to them to have the tournament in person or not. 

If you're skydiving and the pilot tells you there's no more parachutes and you jump out of the plane, it's on you. 

Should the pilot of brought enough parachutes? Yeah, but he's not pushing you out of the plane. 

Your not wrong. But as gamers we understand that. The general public doesn't, Nintendo 100% gives way too much of an opinion what the general public thinks not its fans. We've seen this time and time again from Nintendo to show this. 

Yes it's on the weebs for playing. But Nintendo will Def care what the public perception is if someone in theory got covid or a tournament did. And more than likely one of them is gonna get it bad due to these fuckers don't see sunlight. 

2 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

The Time Machine may be one of the few times where IP infringment got a blind eye at the corporate level. 

As I said before, they turn a blind eye to DIY projects. Moment you start selling premade replicas is when they start to look hard. 
Setting someone else up to do the same DIY is all gravy to them. 

3 minutes ago, Maxx said:

But Nintendo will Def care what the public perception is if someone in theory got covid or a tournament did.

With a few rare exceptions do Nintendo ever run a tournament, and when they are associated they are a Sponsor not the event organizer.  All they have to do is deny any involvement and wash their hands of the affair saying that is on the TO. 

Real Talk: None of these companies that makes games for the comparative eSports Scene actually care, they see it as free publicity or they will sponsor an event if they want to drive up sales. If Disney/Marvel really wanted to they can keep MvC2 from the competitive eSports scene, they don't as people playing MvC2 is promoting their brand for free. If its not advertisement or PR in the company's interests, they do not care.  

Edited by DarkSakul
10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Confused Larry David GIF

You would assume that, but you open yourself for lawsuits by doing anything that remotesly put you on the crosshairs.

By being an sponsore you ca be seen as an endorser for anything that happens on an event for example.

Remember, this is not an issue of if you are on the wrong or not, but an issue of opening the door for any bad press and legal costs.

Edit

Also, on your example of the plane, the company/pilot will totally get sued for not taking any contigency meassures and and negligency.

Edited by Hecatom
3 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

That isn't Nintendo's concern at all.

No, Nintendo would just cancel everything and pull the plug. They done so at the beginning of the Pandemic with a few trade shows and conventions. 

Nintendo owes no one anything at all. Tournament be dammed, Nintendo has pulled the plug on Tournaments a day before the event because it was not in Nintendo's own interests, even if they were the sponsor. 

No, you protect your IP by preventing anyone from using it without your Expressed and Written permission. 
And if they want to go around that you sue the shit out of them. Its literally their legal obligation to do so. 

Nintendo never had nor ever will any sort of obligation to any community that outside of their cooperation.
Nintendo does not really care if there never a tournament every again.  If they wanted to they can tomorrow end all support of Ultimate Online play and go after anyone who wants to do any online Smash Play. They keep the Ultimate online up and running as it's incentive for people to pay into the Nintendo Online service and if you give them Ultimate online, they are less likely to hack another version of Smash for online. Melee is the exception as their player base are spoiled man-children who needs to be repeatedly bodied.

I never said shit about Nintendo owing anyone anything. I feel like you think I'm a smasher or on their side. I'm not. I'm trying to figure out wtf Nintendo thought they were gonna do. I'm trying to gauge if the company was really that ignorant or if it was a calculated buisness move to fuck them.  You are responding in a way that gives off some almost personal attack vibes on me again I'm not a smasher or defender. 

No I don't think Nintendo can just go around suing the fuck outta people if they want. I know we wanna pretend America is the sue happy mecca but their are Def limits to what they can do legally. They don't have unlimited sue powers. 

As I said before, they turn a blind eye to DIY projects. Moment you start selling premade replicas is when they start to look hard. 
Setting someone else up to do the same DIY is all gravy to them. 

Very true. That is what makes the Time Machine such an interesting case. They allow these "prop builders" to make something directly out of the film and as long as it's not directly referencing any licensed product (e.g., screen grabs and logos), they don't care. 

Nintendo and Disney are ruthless for silhouettes 🤣

Remember, this is not an issue of if you are on the wrong or not, but an issue of opening the door for any bad press and legal costs.

giphy.gif

Edited by OPTIMUS124

You would assume that, but you open yourself for lawsuits by doing anything that remotesly put you on the crosshairs.

By being an sponsore you ca be seen as an endorser for anything that happens on an event for example.

California gov literally shut down a ufc even because of covid. That's why ufc literally moved the whole company to fuckin Abu dabi for months to ride covid out. 

9 minutes ago, Maxx said:

No I don't think Nintendo can just go around suing the fuck outta people if they want.

They actually do, they sue over the smallest of unauthorized fan games. They shut down AM2R as it was going to compete with their own Remake. 
AM2R has also their IP, Copyright and Trademarks. They go after Youtubers for doing lets plays and even doing reviews under Fair use. 

Even if you claim your tournament is not profit, Nintendo can go in and sue the shit out of you. It's actually rare for Nintendo to send out a C&D. 

The thing is not that Nintendo as Unlimited legal power, it is that most people do not have the money to defend in a proper lawsuit and quickly tries to settle outside of court, that settlement usually involves money like 10% of what Nintendo would get in a lawsuit and a Non-disclosure agreement that you can't tell anyone outside of legal authorities of the agreement. Breaking the NDA reopens the lawsuit as per the agreement you signed with Nintendo. 

On the far other hand, the Devs of Crypt of the NecroDancer approached Nintendo with a presentation that they wanted to do a  Zelda DLC stage for their Indie game. Nintendo liked the idea but as its there IP had a condition, instead of a DLC state the Devs make a whole new game with story plot and Nintendo would give official dev support to the indie gamers. 

Edited by DarkSakul
11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

if it was a calculated buisness move to fuck them. 

animations no GIF by Cartoon Hangover

I really don't think Nintendo wants anything to do with Melee. They don't want people playing melee, streaming melee, talking about it, asking for it, anything. 

People have made the point that any visibility on a franchise is good. If you think Melee is cool, but don't have the PC/patience/wherewithal to get slippi and a rom running, you'd probably end up picking up Ultimate. 

But I don't think Nintendo thinks like that. 

They want to manufacture as much scarcity of that game as possible, so that next year they can release an emulated collection of 64/melee/brawl that's only available for 6 months, costs $60 and doesn't have online play. 

Edited by KingTubb
1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

They want to manufacture as much scarcity of that game as possible, so that next year they can release an emulated collection of 64/melee/brawl that's only available for 6 months, costs $60 and doesn't have online play. 

I think if Nintendo did, they purposely leave out Melee just out of spite. It more be like N64, Brawl, and Wii U. 

4 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

They actually do, they sue over the smallest of unauthorized fan games. They shut down AM2R as it was going to compete with their own Remake. 
AM2R has also their IP, Copyright and Trademarks. They go after Youtubers for doing lets plays and even doing reviews under Fair use. 

Even if you claim your tournament is not profit, Nintendo can go in and sue the shit out of you. It's actually rare for Nintendo to send out a C&D. 

The thing is not that Nintendo as Unlimited legal power, it is that most people do not have the money to defend in a proper lawsuit and quickly tries to settle outside of court, that settlement usually involves money like 10% of what Nintendo would get in a lawsuit and a Non-disclosure agreement that you can't tell anyone outside of legal authorities of the agreement. Breaking the NDA reopens the lawsuit as per the agreement you signed with Nintendo. 

Depends. I've signed ndas they aren't the stfu freebie they come off as. You can legally challenge them in court, it's just up to the judge at that point in terms of what you bring to the table and if it's worth breaking it. 

I've seen YouTube shut down Nintendo reviews I've never seen them sue someone for reviews. Are you sure about that? 

Suing over an unauthorized game is fine. Legally speaking. 

But at certain point of suing the shit outta people they are overstepping the legally authority. The example before of Nintendo shutting the game down and suing people who still use it. You have to remember a judge is involved. If theirs already a law in place they aren't gonna suddenly magically get around it. Unless you are somehow challenging the law, a judge can Def throw the case out especially if they question how the fuck did Nintendo intend to win with no real case. 

10 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I've seen YouTube shut down Nintendo reviews I've never seen them sue someone for reviews. Are you sure about that? 

Ether because Nintendo just sends a DMCA takedown notice to You tube and You tube takes it down, and You tube don't accept the Youtuber's appeal. Or that that Youtuber settles out of court and signs a NDA to keep it out of court as they just don't have the finances to fight it . 

It never makes it to court if their a out of court agreement takes place. Going to court for IP law is expensive, and most people avoid it if they can. In that case its just lawyers from both side coming to agreement and having the parties involve sign said agreement. 

A big part of the DMA is you are not allowed to bring it up at all. Only reasons we even know about the DMAs even happening as the lawyer who represents the majority of these indie game makers and content creators spoke about the whole thing vaguely and never mentions a specific case or client. The makers of  AM2R did publicly mention they are under a DNA, but didn't say the details of such. 

if you really want to do something with Nintendo, your best approach is to ask them directly, have a prestation with a clear picture what you have in mind.
Worst thing that could happen is Nintendo say yes and give you their blessing under their careful control and watchful eye. 

Ever read the Creators contract Nintendo made for Youtubers? It gives regulations what a partnered Youtuber channel can do and not do with Nintendo, and if you ever break their agreement, you agree the court case to take place in Japan and not the US, where the law is on their side.  

Edited by DarkSakul
5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This nigga furrypalm pretending he wasnt always there talking about the manga after the chapters dropped on srk, lmao.

I read that shit when it was being fan translated and dropped that garbage after they had  a whole ass time skip and this dude naruto was still acting like he shared the same learning disability that maxx has.

I wonder why he thinks narutards are some sort of prime con participants.    They are too busy being retarded on the internet or meeting up at secret locations to ninja run with each other. 

storm-area-51-naruto-gif.gif

Unlike this dumb shit me caring about that trash ass hxh ripoff was done and over with a long time ago.    Speaking of furries doe narutards are for sure the mlp'ers of the anime community. 

Anyways this Star Renegades is a great game but I wish they let you actually make builds and have actual choices for your characters when they leveled up as opposed to just giving them the same thing every time.    Guess the devs went the 5e dnd route where everything is samey and leaves you with no player agency in order to make it more easier to account for everything......aka catering to shit Dm's and ppl that can't do basic math.  Good god 5e is so shit.

4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

The amount of people trying to go viral by dunking on Nintendo for doing something any company would do is embarrassing.

The difference between the two images? The Square Enix one is a response to some fanart the guy did. The Nintendo one is a response to the same guy trying to sell a shirt with fanart of a Nintendo character on it.

Shit like this makes me want to make bad decisions like making a Twitter so I can call that dude out as the disengeous fuck he is being. 

46 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Boruto has fans?

Not the same groups. Alot of the old fans does the Manga and only occasionally check in. When I go to cons the fanbase dropped off huge. Gen z kids like it but it's nowhere near the levels it was in like 09

19 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Shit like this makes me want to make bad decisions like making a Twitter so I can call that dude out as the disengeous fuck he is being. 

Seems to go with the territory with these ppl and their vocal supporters.  

But what can you say, ppl that hock t-shirts using others intellectual properties tend to be scumbags in general.   Bunch of slave labor using creeps like Snaaaake.

Kingdom-Night_11-30-20.jpg

About

One night, in 198X, in the small town of Watford, Arizona, a satanic cult unwittingly summons the ancient evil, Baphomet, catapulting the town into chaos. John, awoken by the kidnapping of his neighbor, sets out into the night to fight back against the demonic invasion and rescue his friends before it’s too late.

Kingdom of Night is an 80s themed isometric, story-driven, action RPG with an expansive, interconnected map and open-ended quest system. It is a game about coming of age, cosmic horror, and true love. The player takes control of John as his adventure leads him through an hour by hour experience of what may be everyone’s last night on Earth. He will encounter unearthly evils, Demon lords, afflicted townsfolk, high school bullies, and a torrent of engaging, serial-like side stories all nested in a larger-than-life fantasy that brings the ultimate evil to a neighborhood near you. Players can choose their own class, customize their abilities, battle nightmarish creatures, and collect unique items and equipment in order to infiltrate the massive lairs of demon lords that have taken over the town.

Key Features

• Combines elements of action RPG and adventure through small town 80s aesthetic.
  • Customize John’s abilities with nine unique classes in three distinct categories: Melee, Magic, and Ranged.
  • Interact with citizens of the neighborhood and engage in a wide array of quests.
  • Local Co-op Mode allows players to team up with friends.
  • Nostalgic synthwave soundtrack, featuring one key theme by iconic 80s movie soundtrack composer, Vince DiCola (Rocky IV, Transformers: The Movie).