Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

yep--- it's super easy now... and I've just been playing Horde on Normal difficulty! 

Early this morning I got in another full session of Horde; 1 to 50... yeah, a team of randoms that actually were in it for the long haul!  It was a breeze because the 3 of us were playing our roles perfectly....yeah there was only 3 people... the other 2 dropped out early of course (ha, if only they knew how much exp they missed out on since we went all the way.) I was Engineer, there was someone playing a Scout, and the third person was on Sniper.  I did my usual routine of making sure we had a healthy amount of sentries posted in strategic positions.  Towards the end everything except the weapons lockers were fully upgraded to level 4...it was beautiful.  I even got a Shock Sentry posted up too; never usually got those before.  Four sentries posted behind red laser wires...THEN I had a turret posted behind that (this was on "Raven Down", btw)...then I had "back-up" sentries behind this front defensive line....so anything (like the flying "Guardian" bots) getting past the front line still gets lit up by the sentries in the back.  This defensive setup was fuckin GOLD.

So---I now have Engineer at level 10, along with my level 10 Scout and Heavy!  Sheeeeit, this bonus exp is so good I may as well get the other 2 classes to level 10 as well.

It was ok for me-  

I was most happy about the Fist of the Yakuza Star game getting a release date of Oct 2018, only a month after Kiwami 2. Doom eternal comes in 2nd place.

Some stuff like Control,DOA6, Last of Us 2, DMC5(Ive only played 4 like 10 yrs ago so Im more curious than super excited) intrigued me.

I was kinda bummed that  Borderlands 3  was not unveiled or that Shenmue 3 news was nonexistent.

I was surprised that MK 11 wasnt  revealed as well seeing as how Netherrealm usually releases a Mk or Injustice game every 2 years. (They usually reveal next years game at E3 IIRC)

I guess since I only have PS4, I dont really pay attention to X1/Switch news so Im losng out on 1/3 of the experience.

I actually came away a little excited but I went in with really low expectations. 

DMC5 hit all the right notes for me so I'm cautiously very excited for that. I was cool on Last of Us 2 despite really liking the first one, but this trailer did a lot more to sell me on it and I'm way back on board. Also due to nothing but nostalgia and it being deliciously dumb I am looking forward to what the hell ever that Battletoads game ends up being. And like I said earlier I'm surprisingly into the idea of AC Odyssey but I'm not sure if I'll actually bite on that one (I bounce off of all those games after about 6 hours). And I have a pre-boner for Cyberpunk 2077.

Thing is, the way companies announce and promote games has shifted so much that E3 is just another press conference for me (not a new idea by any stretch but I agree with it). Anyone can do a livestream or throw up some YT vids to promote their games nowadays and most companies are doing just that (seems to be much easier, relatively cheaper, and gives them a lot more control over messaging). 

Like with Doom Eternal. I'm excited for that of course after playing through the last one, but E3 was just "hey this thing exists and we're gonna talk about it later at a time that benefits us more". Trailer looked great and I'm glad its confirmed but I'm one of those old farts that doesn't really get excited about a game unless I really like the idea (Cyberpunk 2077) or I see something that is at least a proof of concept of gameplay (what was in some of the trailers). Which also limits how much some of this stuff moves the needle for me.

22 hours ago, misterBee said:

I play every AC to 100% completion.  I have an illness.  Odyssey will be no different.

Anthem is just Bioware's version of Division/Destiny, isn't it?  Why do people expect it to be a single player RPG?

Outside of the The Old Republic, a MMORPG, basically every Bioware game has been a single player RPG. Anthem isn't an RPG at all. Bioware is making a game that has no appeal to their diehard fan base. Given their precarious situation, that's a huge risk.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Outside of the The Old Republic, a MMORPG, basically every Bioware game has been a single player RPG. Anthem isn't an RPG at all. Bioware is making a game that has no appeal to their diehard fan base. Given their precarious situation, that's a huge risk.

While this is true, I'm pretty sure they made it quite obvious from the reveal that this was basically going to be Destiny.  For people to still think it is going to be anything like a single player game is a bit ridiculous.

14 hours ago, misterBee said:

While this is true, I'm pretty sure they made it quite obvious from the reveal that this was basically going to be Destiny.  For people to still think it is going to be anything like a single player game is a bit ridiculous.

People have a really hard time shaking associations, I think. When a person/company produces similar content for a long enough time that is where everyone's head goes.

It's like if Michael Bay started making 3 hour silent films about nihilism. People would still line up and buy tickets, then be all like "where are all the shiny tiddies and explosions???" no matter how much marketing you put out. People recognize branding first.

Hell you even have Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb musing about how he hopes that Anthem still has familiar Bioware RPG components like a dialog wheel. This is from a guy who very clearly knows what the game is going to be and is being pitched as, but he can't help going back to what Bioware is to him (and most people I think). Your average gamer is gonna be even more prone to that.

Rhykker shows off 2 classes in the Warhammer Inquisitor game^...  psiker is definitely jumping out at me as the more interesting one.  Also, apparently this will show up on console later..?  If that holds true then I'll wait on that.  If I would've known that Diablo 3 was eventually going to the consoles, there's no way I would've bought the pc version.

*on another note... yes yes my adventures in Vampyr shall continue... besides Dad being here, one reason I took a short break was the huge plot point that happened...best to let moments like that sit with you for a while before moving on, imo.  Yeah that was a big one,  I'm also curious about how differently things play out depending on your choices...there's a LOT of points in that game where the player's choice alters the course of what's going to happen later... in dialogue options with every character, there's some points with the game's red "Y" symbol that strongly indicates that things can change drastically depending on what you do or say right there.

Edited by MillionX

PSN sales until the 18th be cray.

GG and Tekken for a 90s bitcoin, and Atlus Megas, mega-cheap.

I nabbed up a PS4 version of Odin's Sphere, Persona 5, and Nioh Complete for $75.

Well, $85, if you include my first ever purchase of PSN.

But I only bought it because buying a month of it actually SAVED me $15 - like, NET.

Edited by JHDK

VAMPYR...

No specific story-stuff since that's obviously getting into heavy spoiler territory, but it keeps getting better the further I go in this... my total play-time is about 22 hours at this point.... 1 territory..."Whitechapel"....it has already descended into "Hostile" status, though oddly enough it still shows up that various people are still living in there, as if they are still accessible to me; I assumed they'd all show up as "LOST" or something when that happens to an area.  It will be interesting to see what's going on over there when I return.

One thing I didn't mention earlier-- in addition to leveling up the "Dr. Reid" character, the weapons are also something to level up.  Currently my main melee and gun weapons are level 3.  On top of just getting stronger there's 1 of 2 perks to pick on each level-up from what I'm seeing so far... it looks like the choice is typically going to be "consumes less stamina" or "further damage increase" (this is on top of the damage increase from just leveling it up)...oh but there's also a perk related to stealing blood as well.  The short sword I use (the pre-order bonus one) does that.

I had to fight a fellow vamp recently that wasn't even a boss or major story character...dude was just a "regular" enemy but tough as hell, man... I was level 20 but he was level 28....it was fortunate that he's in an area with some structure in the middle so I kept running around there in a circle, avoiding him and using some cheap hit/run tactics.... the guy was doing ridiculous damage.  The fight went on long enough for me to do 2 ultimate attacks (they have a long cool-down; I currently have the "Beast Within" one) and run around in a circle for quite a long time.  

Bloodstained looks interesting, but I really wish the gameplay was at a faster pace... every time I see it...it's like the characters and the action is kinda in slow motion.  It would be great if they put a bit more into the action there; even if it doesn't have big combos like a "stylish action" game.... I supposed we've been spoiled at this point---most things look like slow-motion gameplay when you've experienced the DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden franchises....and WHOAH it just hit me--- imagine a new STRIDER, produced in a similar style as Bayo or DMC?!  BRUH.  That's GOLD, man.  Sadly the people that hold the IP hostage probably cannot see the greatness (and likely decent/good sales) that would be.

*I might start my 2nd file of Vampyr sooner rather than later... there is a strong temptation to play as a more ruthless version of Dr. Reid.  The thing is, I imagine that would be generally much easier, since killing the citizens gives wayyyy more exp than anything else in the game...even completing a quest might give a few hundred points or so---but you can get thousands exp per citizen you feed on..... they really made it into an interesting dilemma there...because the more you kill, the worse the area becomes, and it locks out certain parts of story of course since that person is now dead, and their death would naturally affect the people in that social circle.  

yeah, I've become quite obsessed with this game... I've even been taking notes of pretty much everything that happens in terms of the lore and storylines.  I'm up to 28 hours played so far; still in chapter 4 (*I think earlier I may have mentioned I was on 5 which was incorrect)

ah, these guys have an interesting vid on the game:

Edited by MillionX

that damn "Lady Ashbury" from Vampyr is hot as HELL, man... it just hit me that she reminds me of Cassidy Freeman, who was "Tess" from Smallville.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2336905/ 

*if she could mimic a Brit accent, she would be perfect for the part in a live-action Vampyr, imo.

*I'm still playing Wizard of Legend at work on a regular basis, though that game kicks my ass every single time... but finally I'm getting somewhere, since I've been trying out different spells....fishing around for whatever is top tier material, of course.

Edited by MillionX

^I had a love/hate relationship with (modern) Ninja Gaiden 2... never had the Sigma versions; just the original on 360.... it was fun, but at a certain point the game just becomes a straight up asshole about everything...sometimes it got past the point of gamer-rage inducing moments...and the level of bullshit was just hilarious.  On the normal "Warrior" difficulty setting it was more than reasonable though.

Vampyr-- well, I made it to a point in the story where I could have turned someone....for various reasons I chose to just kill that person....ohoooo the way that played out was awesome...and satisfying.  The consequences of this decision have been severe to say the least though...shit has seriously hit the fan over that. ....on my way back to Pembroke Hospital, I ran into a certain citizen that has been "missing" for a long time; and they were turned!  There was no more discussion that could be had... I had no choice but to fight and eventually kill them.

Edited by MillionX

Fucking a-men about Ninja Gaiden 2.  I tapped out of that game around the mid-way point because it became too frustrating. I've played through a lot of what people consider to be hard games but NJ2 felt more "cheap" hard than "designed" hard.  Still love that they brought that series back and I'd love to see modern Team Ninja take another crack at it.

Been playing Gears 4 in preparation for 5. Finally getting around to it since it was on sale and I just got an X. In Act 3 and I'm having fun with the campaign so far.  It's not Shakespeare or anything but the writing and pacing for a game like this are pretty good and I really appreciate cranky old man Marcus.

Unfortunately, but understandably... the trailer for Gears 5 spoiled a little of what happened at the end of 4.  I found out from my friend that's always slow as Christmas about playing thru games that he did NOT watch that trailer, fortunately.... but he's STILL dragging his feet on that....well that's what he gets for being the "family man" like so many SF2 characters on the lose screen.  This is the same friend that still hasn't finished the story of Diablo 3!  D3 is actually 6 years old at this point, man....and of course he never took a character to level 70 either....he loves Destiny but probably never finished that either.  Actually I don't recall him finishing any recent games despite owning them.... he never got to the end of Borderlands Pre-Sequel either, among other things.  Anyway, that final scene in Gears 4 was quite the jaw dropper now that I'm remembering it again....and the other scene a little before that was an emotional one.....still not on the level of Dom finding his wife in part 2 though... that's still the saddest shit I've ever seen in a game, man.  They really went for the emotional punch to the gut there.....everything appears to be all find and dandy when he finds her....then you realize things are definitely NOT fine at all.... and of course Dom was never the same after that.

Playing Ninja Gaiden I've begun to appreciate how far games have come.

This camera is ridiculous.  There is no lock-on.  Feedback when you hit an enemy isn't great.  You can tell this is an extension of the ps2 days, even though it's on ps3.  Old graphics aren't really a problem but old gameplay def takes time to get used to again.

How did I play so many games like this when I was younger?

The Ninja Gaiden camera definitely wasn't great. I remember in the first one I was able to sort of intuit well enough where the enemies would be that I could make it work but in 2 they throw so much goofy bullshit at you (I remember a lot of exploding shurikens and rockets) that I remember the camera being part of the problem there. 

I can relate to MillionX's friend who can't finish a game. I feel like nowadays I'm in a similar boat. It took me most of last year just to get through Persona 5 (which is admittedly a long game) and I still haven't played through Nier Automata even though I bought it the day it came out. I only feel confident that I can get through Gears 4's campaign because that should only be 6-10 hours total. Still may be a coin flip if I can finish it before 5 comes out. 🙂

That said not making it through the Diablo 3 story is like a criminal lack of free time or focus. But different people also play through games at different rates and with different purposes. I have a buddy who still hasn't beaten Skyrim and he's been playing that since it came out on the 360. He just really loves wandering around the world at his own pace and exploring every nook and cranny.  

Edited by GetTheTables

Ok, apparently it was about 40 hours playtime… I took another go at the final boss in Vampyr and finished it this time… I had Dr. Reid up to level 29 by the end. Goddamn I loved every minute of this…and it’s only the 1st play-thru here… I immediately started on the next run. There’s already a lot of different routes I have in mind for this and the next go-round as well…between the various powers, who to kill and who to keep alive, the general status of the districts and the tons of dialogue choices, there’s a lot going on here with this game. I had some great villain moments in this first play-thru but that’s nothing compared to how I intend to play this time around…it’s time to go all in as ruthless as possible.

Then of course later this year we got Code Vein… so just with these 2, vampire fans out there finally have some good stuff to play besides TES V: Skyrim and old-ass Vampire: The Masquerade.

Fans will defend anything. It's just kind of the nature of the beast.

I legit wish they would have stuck with NG. That was basically the only game of it's type that was made by someone other than Platinum. Even though the series had it's foibles it was good to see someone else's take on it.

Then again I think "hardcore character action" may be a genre that is near guaranteed to lose money. Platinum gets by on moxie, street cred, and now merc'ing themselves out for other properties. But so far as I know Bayonetta never did anything other than undersell (side note: bless Nintendo for keeping that series rolling).

6 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Then again I think "hardcore character action" may be a genre that is near guaranteed to lose money. Platinum gets by on moxie, street cred, and now merc'ing themselves out for other properties. But so far as I know Bayonetta never did anything other than undersell (side note: bless Nintendo for keeping that series rolling).

Everyone wants an epic hardcore action game or six notching their cred belt.

Most can't even be arsed to time the bird/bat/baddie trap in the O.G. NES NG, much less best busted (yes pun) New School hardcore action game.

Ain't no such thing as a Hardcore "Win Button".

Edited by JHDK
40 minutes ago, misterBee said:

So any of you guys buying stuff during the great 2018 Steam Summer Sale?! 😄

What's on sale?

I nabbed a few things during the PS4 E3 sale.

But I've seen scant little new that interests me that isn't exclusive, that I haven't already nabbed.

...and I'm still putting in WAY too many hours on Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn.

It's like Diablo 2 and Titan Quest fucked, and had a kid.

IT ought to have been named Diablo 3.

But Activison spunked on the rim of Blizzard's toilet, and mussed that up several years back.

New indiegame that was released recently. If you know anything about me you know i'm very "meh" about indiegames but this games looks like it's gonna be a 10/10 gaming experience. It's a combination of earthbound/zelda.

Available for ps4/vita

I played Diablo 3 for the first time in quite a while this past Sunday then again tonight....the addiction may be on the comeback.  It would be nice if they were still putting out meaningful updates but sadly they aren't....there's a community event thing going on right now that just makes all treasure goblins appear in pairs.....yeah that's whatever. 

I just got on again to play with an old friend on the weekend, then again solo just now, once again enjoying how overpowered these characters can get.... haha I forgot how ridiculous my witch doctor was; the dude hits for well into the billions for damage... could've sworn I saw 60 BILLION show up earlier tonight... BILLION, man... holy shit these characters 😆 I have a firebird/archon wizard but sadly his damage isn't consistently ridiculous like that.... but his damage on elite monsters and rift bosses is insane because of how that firebird item set works.  It was funny to sense how jealous my friend was that his characters simply aren't as godlike as mine....he probably needs a critical just to hit a million damage on something 🤣

*edit--yeah these numbers are crazy... my other wizard with the Vyr's set is hitting things for occasionally over 100 billion damage. 

Edited by MillionX

Sheeeeit, finally it's like I'm getting somewhere in Wizard of Legend... I've found some spells that are working for me; one where you spin around a couple of times with a flame "whip" kind of attack...a lot of range on that and it causes a burning damage-over-time effect, easily followed up with anything else....and I have a spell that creates a symbol on the ground for lightning/electric strikes to appear...this symbol is chargeable for increased damage.  With full blue meter this gets enhanced into a HUGE radius of the lightning all around me, basically covering most of whatever room the character is in at the time.  I am also using the light blue cloak which boosts HP and defense, I think.  I've still only managed to beat one boss per run though....and so far if it's the woman with the fire magic then that's a wrap for me.  That bitch is like the Dark Phoenix for real, man.

y'know, I'd love a more Diablo-style version of this game...even though I like the current style too....but a "regular" action-RPG version would be cool.

Back on D3 for a sec---it is strange that my friend's characters are so much weaker... one would think this should be the other way around, because he's the one that would constantly look up vids for info on the various builds to see whatever is the latest godlike build for all the character classes....but for some reason he doesn't seem to actually follow through on that information.... I just don't quite get that.  I am assuming things here, but it seems like he's stubbornly wanting to make the characters *his way* and just play them however he wants....disregarding the fact that in any kind of game like that...there will ALWAYS be some builds that stand out as the god-level shit.  It could be him being stubborn, or it could just be laziness, actually. (*not wanting to spend the time killing monsters over and over for good item drops, leveling up legendary gems, etc.)

Edited by MillionX

So, the Warhammer 40k Inquisitor game is coming to consoles on July 5 apparently… and from what I see it’s another case of “ONLINE ONLY, LOL” horseshit. Yeah these companies can fuck right off with that foolishness…putting it in games that don’t even really need it to be there; they can kindly go eat a thousand HIV-infested dicks.  It's a real shame; I was really looking forward to it; hoping it would be a similar situation to D3 where the PC version is online-only (because they all seem to tolerate that shit) but the console version is playable offline....but no, so far it appears both versions are like that.

sheeeit, first thing I did back when 360 version of Diablo 3 was out.....was unplug my system and play the shit offline, simply because I could. (laughing to myself, thinking "haha look what I'm doing, PC fans...you can't do that, lol"  Hey why don't you enjoy D3 on a Tuesday ...ohhhhhhhhhhh that's right you CAN'T because the fucking servers are down for maintenance on Tuesdays so sorry I forgot about that; have fun sitting there playing other shit while I'm still over here killing monsters whenever I damn well please.)

Ok, Assault Android Cactus is the free game on X1 right now... I've been having fun...until late in the game when things become borderline IMPOSSIBLE.

Basically, there's so many things going against the player, I don't think they even really tested some of this shit to see if it *can* be beat.  

• * Your character has a "battery", so basically a time limit.... if this runs out, you die no matter what.
  • * You have a health bar, but it may as well be irrelevant because in late game, EVERYTHING seems to 1-shot you.  Of course this wastes precious time as the battery continues to drain away.
  • * Extra battery will spawn right on top of the boss or in a pile of enemies..now you have to get hit and likely die getting it...and there is no choice in the matter.  Oh and the battery packs have a time limit on them, so you can't just take your time killing the enemies _before_ picking it up, which would be the sensible approach.

It's a twin-stick shooter type of thing, so naturally enemies are swarming in from all sides.  I made it to what appears to be the last boss, but it has a ton of different forms/phases, and you ONLY get a battery pack when you defeat a form...meanwhile this thing has lasers that scan the entire area as it spins around in the first form, and it's too fast for you to dodge....you have to actually hope the lasers just go away (*sometimes* the lasers thin out) or you force it to form #2 before it hits ya....while dodging these lasers, there's bullets all over the screen that just hang there...then as the boss spins they start moving too...this is just form #1.  And of course...if your battery runs out on any form you have to start all of this over.  99% of people that play this will **not** beat this shit, no way.

I had a Black pal, from STL who claimed such, in high school.

Prolly better that he did.

I survived ankle sweeps immobile, that would have broken him..

9 minutes ago, misterBee said:

My Neo Geo arrived in the mail.

I've reached apex predator status. 🤤