Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

cheh, it just hit me that the PC version of Diablo 3 probably never got the nemesis enemy.... it's still my opinion that the console version was superior in just about every way, man... and the nemesis thing was just 1 little detail in the list of reasons.  I still love that concept... had kinda forgotten about it until running into one just the other day.

Quick explanation for the uninitiated - When you are killed, there is a chance that monster will turn into a "nemesis".  This is indicated by the monster jumping into a magical red portal that appears when you died.  "Nemesis" will then show up at random in your friends' game/world, and usually with a shadow clone of whatever character you had that it killed....another cool detail I enjoy about this concept is that this "nemesis" gets stronger as he kills more player characters....say it kills your friend---now "Nemesis" is essentially a "level 2" version of itself... stronger and more HP, more dangerous attacks, etc.  It can "level up" 5 times.  It would be interesting to see how tough it could become if they didn't put a limit on it...haha they probably didn't want the powerlevel of that thing to eventually get way out of hand and unstoppable.

Anyway, I saw a nemesis from my friend's game recently.... and purposely let it kill me so he can show up again later in his game all powered up....heh, and with how terribly weak his characters usually are, I'm sure he probably stands no chance against that. 😆

man, imagine the rage of fans everywhere if they allowed nemesis to show up in Hardcore mode, where a character death is permanent. 🤣

Edited by MillionX

Well, back in the world of Vampyr....

I noticed "UNKNOWN EVENT" marked on the map and went over there to check it out... a certain citizen had been turned, and I had to fight him....even though this is my "evil mode" playthru, I couldn't beat that guy...he was wayyy above my current level, and there were 2 common vamps in the room with him, and it's kind of a small area to fight in.  This was another interesting case, considering who that was, but of course that's spoiler territory so I won't elaborate further on that... 

...soooo it's time to feed on some more citizens.  Even though I'm trying to be evil here, I'm still healing people since that gives a fair amount of exp too....annnnd healthy people are worth more points when you feed on them.  I'm not sure which districts I want to turn hostile first...probably Whitechapel or the area by the docks.

49 minutes ago, misterBee said:

@MillionX how many hours would you say that game is?  Is it comparable to something like Fallout or Skyrim? 

Oh yeah, if you're one that's a big fan of this kind of supernatural lore... then definitely so.  I was just checking the amount of hours played the other day... it was around the 39 or 40-hour mark when I finally beat the final boss and concluded the main story (*there is an "epilogue" part to do after a final confrontation; there's also multiple possible endings).... but keep in mind that since I absolutely love vampire and other supernatural lore, I was definitely taking my time and listening to everything with all the characters I met... funny thing was I didn't even meet all of them on the first run....for instance, the sickly teen boy I mentioned earlier, whose father I intend to kill very soon; I didn't even know he was in the game! 

It really is a fascinating thing they did here with the social circles--- you have to think about what happens to the surviving friends and/or family when you kill someone, and similar to reality, some of these relationships are quite dysfunctional, and some are normal.

In terms of freedom like a Fallout or Skyrim --- ehhhhh kinda...... you're in a big city area with multiple districts, and you can go to any city area you want at any time from what I've seen...(you cannot just enter any building though; sometimes this is adhering to vampire lore--a person has not invited you into their home---other times it's because they simply didn't put anything there, and that building is really just scenery) it still seems a bit different but you aren't limited in where you can go or who you can speak to, except certain situations (*like some people may not trust you at first, and some you have to save from certain dangerous situations....they have to go back to their district before the rest of their dialogue is available; some you can mesmerise right then and there if you have the appropriate mesmerize level, though that is ultimately shortchanging yourself since more "hints"/info you find out about them makes their blood worth much more points.)

Edited by MillionX

Vampyr--the continuing adventures...

hell yeah, I made it back to a certain part in the story where I am now hanging with the elite vampire club.... about to turn a certain someone; this will be different course of action from my previous go at it.  

Powers-- surprisingly I haven't gone for the "coagulation" ability yet...but it is a good one (you magically stop the blood in an enemy which results in them being immobilized for a few seconds)... I'm just trying another setup in terms of my abilities.  I'm sittin' on 11,170 xp at the moment since I fed on some folks in Whitechapel.  I intend to turn that whole district hostile very soon; my mesmerize level is 4 and probably should go up after this next point in the story.  I also ran into one citizen I didn't speak to the first time around...this guy is quite an asshole... I imagined they purposely designed him to be a tempting kill... but the amount of points I'd get from him at the moment is pitiful (only a few hundred), so I left him alive for now.  Clay from the first area is like that too... right now he's only worth 700 points...not quite a worthy meal at the moment.  There's other people that are worth thousands.

I picked a different ultimate this time... this power where you summon shadows that grab and hold a person up in the air and stab at them... this is THE SHIT, man...it looks so damn cool, does great damage AND immobilizes them since they're swept up into midair like that.  

heh, awesome... just turned that character successfully.... also went on a quick feeding spree; had 22,000+ points to work with!  I went from something like 24 to level 30.  Vamp GOD status attained, folks.

...hahah yeah just ate 5 people in Whitechapel, then rested; on the next night "The Fall of Whitechapel" is front page news.  Haha all those fuckers are GONE, man... the people I left alive all died. 🤣

Edited by MillionX
11 hours ago, Poltergeist said:

It tried to do the mind fuck stuff that Black Ops 2 did and the writing wasn't even half as good

It isn't mindfuck stuff tho.  It's just Ghost in the Shell.  I didn't really have a problem following it and thought the idea was cool! 😰

Also people who didn't like Infinite Warfare campaign -- you are are wrong.  Thank you.

*recent conversation with a close friend-- the topic of the game Fable came up-- as usual he never got around to finishing part 2 (that guy never finishes any games...one of the downsides to being "Mr. Family Man", y'know).  Since he didn't mind I went on to explain exactly why that is the absolute WORST final boss encounter I've ever experienced in a game, then it suddenly hit me--- this is like if Rian J. along with the rest of the current Star Wars "regime" wrote the ending to that.  Basically this sort of troll ass thinking, behind the scenes->>"Ohhhh you THOUGHT there was going to be some epic final battle, eh? Ehhhh?  GOTCHA! We put the most anti-climactic horseshit EVER in there instead! GOTCHA!!! HE DIES IN ONE HIT, LOL!"---yeah fuck that.  It has been years now, and that ending sequence still irritates me.  

We fondly remember how awesome part 1 was though; I only played a bit of that but it was a damn good first impression.  I remember the townsfolk running back to their houses when I transformed into that hulking beast...they'd shut the doors thinking they were somehow safe in their homes but they were wrong...you could bust down the door and get in there...ravage the entire town.  In both games you could be such an evil monster... heh, man those were good times.

So... checking the eShop just now on Switch, I noticed GALAK-Z Variant S was on there... and FREE!?! (sheeeeit, Galak-Z was one of the reasons I was going to get a PS4 at least back when it was a new thing)

but of course my initial hype was immediately killed when I saw those dreaded words that are attached to a sadly increasing # of games lately---"internet connection required".  Well you can fuck right off with that horseshit.  I almost still went for it because it's free but just the principle of the matter irks me....and it's not the same shit that was on PS4 and PC anyway, so nah they can piss off with that foolishness.

These devs that keep onnnn barking up the "online only, lol" tree... I really, really wouldn't mind seeing people like that just get punched as hard as possible for a while.  

Edited by MillionX

hahaha this game is failing as hard as possible... I'll admit to being a bit out of touch in the first place since I never got the appeal of this "battle royale" trend in gaming... none of them look fun to me...(*I actually was one of those people that got Fortnite for the regular game that is now called "Save the World"; couldn't care less for the Fortnite BR)

*anyway, I'm cracking up at these numbers... apparently 249 players online on launch day 😆 🤣

Edited by MillionX
On 7/6/2018 at 1:35 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

"Do you speak the language of Chinese? How about a game of Lucky Hit?" Side note: I have the sudden urge to swap jobs with the warehouse guys at my job and drive a forklift all day 😉

I drive a forklift all day...kind of want to try that on shenmue right now to see how accurate it is......lol

It's good to read that this game is apparently doing well enough that the company is happy... 

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/07/13/vampyr-sales-numbers-first-month/#/slide/1 

I still plan to get the PS4 version too... I have about 66 hours total on the XB1 version...nearly at the end of my 2nd run; last thing that happened was me turning an entire district hostile; everyone over there is dead or missing. 

13 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Am I the only one that can't pull myself away from Octopath Traveler?

That game is definitely on my radar. I'm glad to see you like it. Reviews seem to be praising everything but the story, but I'm wondering if that's because there isn't any real plotline that connects the eight characters? That might not necessarily be so terrible if you're not expecting a FFVI campaign. I'll definitely be picking it up soon.

I just started Hollow Knight last night and it's amaze balls. 

3 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Million, what systems do you have?

Modern/recent stuff---- Switch, XB1, PS3, XB 360, WiiU, PS Vita (x2; Slim and original OLED version) and PSP (x2).  I also have a few games on a Windows PC laptop. (Diablo 3, Torchlight II which I barely played... Kingdoms of Amalur and Bayonetta, and random other things.)

Older stuff--- Gamecube, GBA SP, the original "brick" Gameboy, Dreamcast, SNES, NES, my original Atari 2600 (though no power cord for it) and I have one of those Atari Flashback systems; funny that even that remake of the Atari...that itself is sooo old now...I got it several years ago at a Target.  I noticed recently there is a portable one now; funny that it has 6 buttons for some reason---it's a goddamn Atari; the 2600/VCS version always had just 1 button..what are the other 5 for?😆  There is also a portable Genesis I saw in Target and Walmarts recently; I might actually get that...it's about 45 bucks.

Systems I had that are dead or gone---> Playstation(dead), Original Xbox(dead), Original Gameboy Advance (sold) GB Color, Genesis and yes... the CD-i.  Yeah I actually had that shit.  Damn I've had a lot now that I think of it.  

Edited by MillionX

yeah, I miss this franchise...

I only played Nosgoth for a short time though; it just irked me that it had nothing to do with Kain or Raziel, was multiplayer only (absolutely NO story content at all) and of course online-only.

I loved Blood Omen so much I would record certain parts of the game back in the day, and of course that was back in ancient times when VHS was still the thing.  Oddly enough I never bought it for PSP; it was re-released on PSN for either that or Vita; I forgot.

*I had forgotten about that newer game until this video mentioned it; I remember seeing the preview footage; once again frustrating that it had apparently nothing to do with Kain or Raziel.

At least now I have a game with more traditional vampirism being represented well anyway [Vampyr] and a more pure action one coming up next year (Code Vein got delayed to 2019)

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@Chadouken It's still early but from what I can tell so far, the individual stories are fine. I don't see anything, thus far, that connects them together in a greater narrative. That said, I don't care this game is awesome.

So you liking it so far?   I remember having a lot of fun with the demo.   Might have to scoop that up since it is out.

1 hour ago, Angel said:

So you liking it so far?   I remember having a lot of fun with the demo.   Might have to scoop that up since it is out.

Yeah I really enjoy it. Reminds of the elite RPGs of the 16-bit era. It's kind of hard to describe. It feels like an old school top tier Square RPG. A lot of their newer games have a great presentation but are easy and lack depth.

Ok quick

I can't believe I got a switch just to play this game and I'm not regretting it one bit.

I'm not an rpg expert but I think OPT feels like FF game from the snes era. The combat, the bosses,the graphics reminds me of FFVI. I feel the graphics look neat in a monitor  HDTV not so much on your switch screen I'd say it looks like any other game. The 3D effect really shines on the big screen.

At the beginning doesn't really matter which character you choose eventually you'll meet the others characters fairly quickly but if you want to start with a strong character choose olberic, he's a fucking beast.

So a few things I noticed I don’t know if all the switch games are like this or it was a design decision with this game. I see most of the game doesn't have much voice dialogue going on. You can't talk with all the towns people either.  I don't see this as a bad thing though since you can interact with the same people in different ways thanks to the path mechanic which every character has.

I'm in olberic's chapter right now so far I don't see their own individual stories connecting in anyway because when you meet a new character and play their story it's like the other characters don't exist. I hope there's a change later otherwise it's going to feel kind of linear.

Edited by rukawa_kaede

@rukawa_kaede  I think that's the reason for the small file size. Octopath Traveler is only about 3 GB. Side note: I didn't realize this until it was pointed out.

Ophilia Clement

Cyrus Albright

Tressa Colozone

Olberic Eisenberg

Primrose Azelhart

Alfyn Greengrass

Therion

H'aanit

I didn't realize what Octopath stood for until this morning when I read someone's comment. H'aanit is boss BTW. I chose her in the second demo and carried over my data. In the first demo, I chose Olberic and I agree he is a beast as well.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

ah, Rageaholic has a vid on Vampyr

cheh, odd--- I didn't have as much trouble with glitches as he apparently did... the game froze on me exactly once in 66 hours so far....much more than I can say for that bootleg mess Skyrim, which was previously my only vampire game fix for the past several years. (*since the majority of folks in this damn industry apparently has either no love for this kind of supernatural lore...or no imagination in the first place.)

ohoooo he mentions Vampire the Masquerade at the end---yeah if they remade that with today's tech...as long as it had decent gameplay, I'd bust a nut over the very announcement of such a thing.

*On another note---the hilarity surrounding The Culling 2 continues....I almost feel embarrassed for them at this point...check this out

Edited by MillionX
On 7/16/2018 at 8:59 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

@rukawa_kaede  I think that's the reason for the small file size. Octopath Traveler is only about 3 GB. Side note: I didn't realize this until it was pointed out.

Ophilia Clement

Cyrus Albright

Tressa Colozone

Olberic Eisenberg

Primrose Azelhart

Alfyn Greengrass

Therion

H'aanit

I didn't realize what Octopath stood for until this morning when I read someone's comment. H'aanit is boss BTW. I chose her in the second demo and carried over my data. In the first demo, I chose Olberic and I agree he is a beast as well.

More like: We created their names to fit and fill "Octopath".

The games have aged really well, but the one thing i'm concerned about is that new people will dive into it thinking it's some older version of a yakuza game (or something like that) while in actuality Shenmue is a slow burn, with no instant gratification (which is also the beauty of it). The more you spend playing it the more you'll get back in the end.

As a old friend used to say...

"it's a spiritual experience"

yep, he's right on the money with this one... unfortunately

I got into it at the beginning because I like the main game, now called "Save the World".  The writing has been on the wall for a while now... STW will likely just go away and be completely forgotten at some point while the silly ass Battle Royale mode continues to be the most popular shit ever.

I do wish they would streamline it though... the research points and scrapbook and survivor levels etc. etc. etc. just seems like a bit much.  Normal RPG-style leveling up of characters and perhaps weapons would be good enough...shit doesn't need to be all that complicated.

..and I'm still not sure why the hell they don't bring all that customization over to Save the World.  The BR side of the game gets all those costumes and shit... and STW gets NONE of that cool shit.