Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

So o see need to look through the DSi Store and snatch up what I want before it's gone for good. 

Digital future my ass. Uhg. 

I download rom copies of every game I really would want to play on the future if I don't already have a physical copy. Chances are I won't end up ever playing them but it's never a bad idea to keep your own digital copies on hand just in case. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So o see need to look through the DSi Store and snatch up what I want before it's gone for good. 

Digital future my ass. Uhg. 

The only game I "bought" off the dsi ware shop was the four swords game that was free.  But I think this was where the mighty switch force games started if I'm not mistaken.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I download rom copies of every game I really would want to play on the future if I don't already have a physical copy. Chances are I won't end up ever playing them but it's never a bad idea to keep your own digital copies on hand just in case. 

Oh I have a huge Rom archive, no worries there. I just like to own a legit copy of a game whenever possible and not just a stolen Rom when. Some games it's impossible (Ibara, Battle Bakraid, Armed Police Batrider) but when possible I'll buy like i did for Recca. 

Edited by RSG3

An update on Top Hat Studios - The company behind Sense. Journalists are disregarding all that’s happened to them. Downplaying the threats, callsfor criticism and everything while also calling all of it viral marketing.

This is despite the fact that this all started from an article from Nintendo Life saying the game was coming to Switch that had no affiliation with Top Hat.

Game Journalism blows.

1 hour ago, RegH81 said:

I've never played that game but I just listened to the soundtrack to it a few nights ago and it is FIRE!! Even Stab and Stomp from Battle Garegga is in there!

Armed Police Batrider is directed and programmed by the same guy as Battle Garegga, in fact all 4 games I mentioned in that post are programmed and directed by the same guy, Shinobu Yagawa. They all share a lot of mechanics, themes, bosses, and music in some way or another. He's one of the God Arcade Shmup programmers along with Ikeda from Cave. You should check him and his games out they are all insane. YouTube Summer Carnival 92 Recca and see what he made the NES do. 

If you like Battle Garegga you should deffinitly look into Armed Police Batrider and Battle Bakraid. Those two along with Garegga are considered an unofficial Trilogy called the Bat Trilogy. Share a ton of mechanics and Armed Police has pretty much every plane from Garegga in it and a number of Garegga Bosses as secret bosses. Armed Police is a huge game as far as arcade shmups go with tons of alt routes and secret bosses from across all of Rizings history. It's sort of a celebration of Rizing like Smash is for Nintendo. Unlike Smash tho Armed Police demands a lot from you. All Yagawa games do. He's for experts.  Most of his games are beyond me. I admire him as a developer and programmer but his games crush my spirits lmao. I love Ibara personally. Recca is awesome to. Oh and Pink Sweets Arranged. I looooove Pink Sweets Arranged. 

Edited by RSG3

I made it through 3-2 Latria and quit for the night right in front of the boss fog door. Gotta get up early tomorrow and I want a fresh start at the boss when I log on tomorrow evening. Not sure what to expect, but I'm armed with the firestorm and soul ray spells, have my crescent falchion+5 that's buffed with my 30 magic level, and a ton of spice and grass. Ready to whoop some ass 😤

^Sounds like those games need the M2 Shot Triggers treatment. I'm hopeful that M2 will bring more SHMUPs to the Switch but we got no Battle Garegga or Dangon Feveron yet. Just ESP.Ra.De. and that was an import. Speaking of M2 Shot Triggers, I got paid and Ketsui on the PS4 is looking nice.

---------

Man, I hope he never stops making these.

After working together for 4 home console generations and the 3DS’s entire life span Nintendo finally buys Next Level Games. Acquisition becomes official March 1st. 

Next Level has always said they’re at their strongest when they make multiplayer games. So just give them the keys to Mario Party, Mario Sports and F-Zero?

Seems like the smart decision to me. 

EDIT

Monster Hunter digital event on 1/7 

Edited by iStu X

ok yeah... someone here (Stu I think?) mentioned a lawsuit that went on concerning Ms. Pacman, and I figured that was the unfortunate reason why every time these Namco Bandai retro machines and collections pop-up recently... it's always just regular Pacman instead of Ms. Pacman on there

So far, none of the search results I see are later than fall of 2019 though... so...they just lost or gave up on that shit?  ...meaning we basically won't see Ms. Pacman officially re-released ever again?

In that same section with the Namco Mini unit in Target... I also noticed a mini-version of the classic arcade TMNT!!!  Sadly, it was one of the super-small types though...like keychain size... so you could imagine how terrible the game actually looked on that tiny screen (about 1 inch screen size or so)...and it seemed to run poorly too...like missing animation or low frames-per-second, etc.  I took a look at it in action for just 2 or 3 seconds and put it right back on the shelf 👎

edit---ok, so the lawsuit was dismissed apparently

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2020/11/04/atgames-wins-lawsuit-reintroduces-bandai-namco-titles/

https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=SLBRDF&PC=SL18&q=Case+No.+19-cv-05898-VC

I'm still wondering if AtGames can legally release their own retro consoles with Ms. Pacman though...since Bandai Namco still owns the trademark?  From what I gather they just have the rights to collect royalties, so presumably they would still need an "ok" from Bandai/Namco to include Ms. Pacman or any other BN character/game on their products.

from this website: https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/bandai-namco-atgames-lawsuit-dismissed

"Why Was the Bandi Namco AtGames Lawsuit Dismissed?

An order of dismissal was issued by United States District Judge Vince Chhabria on October 27, 2020, for Case No. 19-cv-05898-VC. In it, Judge Chhabria states that all involved parties have resolved the case of their own accord, rendering all of the legal claims made by Bandai Namco a moot point. This means that the Bandai Namco AtGames lawsuit has likely concluded with an undisclosed settlement of some kind."

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, iStu X said:

After working together for 4 home console generations and the 3DS’s entire life span Nintendo finally buys Next Level Games. Acquisition becomes official March 1st. 

Next Level has always said they’re at their strongest when they make multiplayer games. So just give them the keys to Mario Party, Mario Sports and F-Zero?

Seems like the smart decision to me. 

This is the type of acquisition that makes sense.  You see this M$?  Now if only they'd have bought Alpha Dream.

EDGE magazine did a huge cover piece about Hollow Knight: Silk Song. Team Cherry mentions at the end that the game is “Basically finished but the release window is something they can’t discuss yet” 

here is a breakdown of all the highlights in the spread piece 

Spoiler

Here’s a roundup of the notable tidbits:

– Hornet can travel faster and is more acrobatic than Knight

– Can mantle or clamber onto ledges as well

– Caves around Hornet have expanded to accommodate her height

– Team Cherry approached the enemy design differently since Hornet is a fast and competent fighter

– Cancel out of mantling animations to gain height faster

– Enemies are more complex

– One enemy disguises itself as a discarded skull

– Another enemy is like the Moss Charger, but has more legs and accelerates as it goes with more complex pattern

– Magic isn’t as prominent in Pharloom, but there are strange things

happening like pilgrims involved with cult-like behavior

– Hollow Knight: Silksong starts out by getting players acclimated to old and new systems

– More varied areas to start out with, beginning in Moss Grotto and then going into the lava-moated ‘boneforest’ area, which was cut from the first game

– This plays host to the hub town of Bonebottom and the bell-lined tunnel known as The Marrow

– Many early enemies and falling hazards now give out two hits to the health bar

– Hornet can heal with Bind, an ability that uses the silk she gathers by hitting enemies to bandage wounds

– Three masks instead of one

– Team Cherry’s Ari Gibson: “… you spend more time either at full health or almost dead, and the gameplay is kind of snapping between those two states“

– You’ll come across strings of beads, and they can be broken at any point to use as currency

– While strung, you’ll keep the beads if you die; they’re like a banking system

– Some vendors will string beads up for you so that you can pay them a small amount and get them to put back onto strings

– There are around 100 different benches that come out of the floor when approached that act as save spots

– Difficulty intended to be around the same as the first Hollow Knight

– Those that haven’t played the first game can jump in here easily

– Hornet has tools that can be crafted or replenished at benches by using Shell Shards from enemies

– Pimpillo Bomb: area-of-effect blast

– Sting Shards: extend spikes in mid-air or when struck with a weapon

– Straight Pins: can be thrown like kunai

– Straight Pins can be modified to become Tri-Pins to throw three at once

– Hornet learns these tools and their modifications from Pharloom residents

– Hornet is a strong personality with a clear role, and she speaks

– Players will be able to see “a variety of strange places”

– Initial goal is to get to the Citadel, which is at the top of the world

– Hornet’s Crests: customizable, themed loadout

– Hornet can take on different tasks for NPCs

– Keep track of tasks with noticeboards scattered throughout the world such as Bonebottom

– Tasks go along with the organically unfolding quest lines of the first game

– Tasks seem to involve combat challenges, finding secret locations, and more

– One task, “Gather” has players rounding up Mossberries and bringing them to the Druid of the Moss Temple

– Hollow Knight composer Christopher Larkin is back

– Hornet lost her traditional strength after time being bound in a cage, and is now sort of restoring it; the Weavers are helping her

– Silk Spear: get a superpowered forward lunge and cut through sticky web barriers; uses part of Hornet’s silk supply

– Last Judge: foe that fires rings of flame

Edited by iStu X

As someone who’s only dabbled in Monster Hunter (I played the first one for PS2/PSP, tried to dabble in others but just didn’t stick) I’m extremely excited for Monster Hunter Rise digital event/presentation/direct on Thursday. 

Gameplay wise, Rise looks like the monster Hunter I’ve always wanted/thought it should be. Similar to how KoFXI is the only game I feel is what KoF actually should be. 

Edited by iStu X
4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Why do hurt me like this

Hibestly? The comparison to Monster Hunter. Rise looks cool but there's stuff about it got me side eyeing it  The way they have the Hunters Spider-Manning Found with their hookshits latching onto THIN AIR is already driving me nuts lmao. 

y'know, I got a cheap laugh just imagining those who bought that older, ugly ass 3DS Monster Hunter game on Switch purely out of desperation for some Switch Monster Hunter action....right before Rise got announced.  I can't be the only one who almost became one of those people 🤣  I even had it in my "wish list" to occasionally check back on it like "hmm...."...but always backing out because it's just SO ugly due to being so old and from that 3DS era....on top of it apparently needing to load every time you run to another area...it just kept putting me off.

edit--oh nooooo.....

That slide right at the beginning... bruh...

The Office Lol GIF

Edited by MillionX
On 1/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, DoctaMario said:

Tell me about it.

I have all the data of emuparadise on my hdds.

I downloaded it when Nintendo came to their doors knocking.

47 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm still able to download from Emuparadise. Pretty easy honestly. 

Have been slowly backing their contents up as well. 

Wait, wasnt Emuparadise the one that got nuked by nintendo? Lol

I know i have both the Data of Emuparadise and the data of a site that got nuiked, maybe i am mixng both.

So, I spent around 90 minutes getting everything downloaded and situated on my PS5 and playing. Astro's Playroom is absolutely adorable, and does well showcasing the PS5 tech off. Cannot wait until Sony pushes the firmware update that allows PS5 external game storage/secondary nVME slot to be enabled, but who knows what'll happen with that?

Also, I should have my Japanese eShop funds in the morning for Esp.Ra.De PSI.

Netflix is getting discontinued on Wii U and 3DS, app already removed from the shop

This is strange to me mostly because this is the first time hearing of an streaming app being just removed off a system.  Netflix still works on the PS3 and we have it in our guest room for people who want to watch stuff.  Then on top of this we're about to move into year 4 of the Switch's life and it only has Hulu and Funimation on it.  Personally indifferent on this since I can stream this stuff on just about...every other device I have in my house but it's just weird.

haha that's pretty funny to me that anyone was using 3DS as a device to stream netflix content 😄 

..and nah, I don't get the appeal of streaming things on your phone either... a LOT of people do that for some reason and it's just odd to me, because the screen is so pitiful compared to even an average-sized tv of the past few years.  There's the bonus of it being portable, I guess that is the reason now that I think of it... but when it comes to movies and tv/series, that's something I'd rather watch at home on bigger screens.

..but yeah, netflix is on just about everything else, so it not being on Switch has never been a big deal for me either.  The XB1 has been my regular "netflix machine" for the past few years.

*I miss those days when I had enough energy after work to actually get back into some gaming... as usual I passed out shortly after work today... happened so fast it was like a "missing time" incident, actually....  👽

Former Xbox Executives Say Nintendo 'Laughed Their Asses Off' When Microsoft Offered To Buy It

“Steve [Ballmer, Microsoft’s former CEO] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired,” Kevin Bachus, Microsoft’s former director of third-party relations for Xbox, said in an oral history on the creation of the Xbox. “They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

Microsoft reached out to a bunch of companies with acquisition offers back when it was first getting the Xbox off the ground, the oral history explains. These included Electronic Arts, Midway Games, and Square, prior to its merger with Enix. EA declined; in Final Fantasy developer Square’s case, the offer was too low.

Then there was Nintendo, whose beloved series like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda Microsoft thought would combine well with what it considered to be the Xbox’s superior hardware. “We actually had Nintendo in our building in January 2000 to work through the details of a joint venture where we gave them all the technical specs of the Xbox,” Bob McBreen, then head of Xbox business development, told Bloomberg. “The pitch was their hardware stunk, and compared to Sony PlayStation, it did. So the idea was, ‘Listen, you’re much better at the game portions of it with Mario and all that stuff. Why don’t you let us take care of the hardware?’ But it didn’t work out.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-06/xbox-the-oral-history-of-an-american-video-game-empire?srnd=premium

Microsoft is asking people if they want to see PS5 DualSense features in Xbox controllers

According to Tech Radar, the publisher sent out a fan survey asking if they wanted to see new features for future Xbox controllers. Specifically, the survey seems to inquire about "PlayStation controller" features that users would like to see in future iterations, and whether or not the Xbox Series X controller (with its dedicated share button) is "next-gen enough."

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-x-survey-asks-if-you-want-ps5-dualsense-features-on-its-controller