Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

46 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

True but Sony has essentially abandoned Japan. It's hastened things. The switch with the X and O button being one example and the censorship issue being the most known one.

True, but they also based on the past know they can make a decent come back due to Japan not messing with MS and they know once they can make a slim or have some bigger named franchises the Japan console audience will flock back to them for that true next generation experience.

Right now besides folk not trying to stand in lines or fight bots on the internet to get the system, it has no big exclusive games the Japanese audience would go for plus it would take up too much space.

Like Wellman said: The size of the PS5 also contributes to low sales in Japan. A lot more then people would think. Compact appliances and how easily portable they are is a ideal for Japanese households. Since most houses and apartments are smaller than they are in the rest of the world. 

Edited by iStu X
36 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

KOF 2002 UM is kinda interesting.

I may get it eventually. I never played the UM version of any of their fighters.

KOF 15 looks intriguing but i was hoping for a release window.

02UM and vanilla 02 are completely different games.

The 02UM roster is twice the size, everyone has different moves, and game systems were changed.

98UM is pretty different different from vanilla 98 as well.

sheeeittt, I was just watching a vid on Gears lore/characters... one disappointing thing to me is the apparent origin of the Locust species.  It's been a while since I thought of the exact details

Spoiler

but basically they are a result of some human genetic experiments long ago, apparently?  It also involves immulsion somewhere in the mix.

I would have preferred they were left a mystery.  It's more of an eerie, "horror sci-fi" thing if they are just another hominid species that was living on the same planet all along.  Imagine how generally disturbing that concept would be in the real world... one day another similar species just kinda shows up...but they AREN'T aliens....they've been living here all this time, and the human race was just unaware until now, as they intend to destroy us.

In reality, I'm not sure how that even pans out for the human race, actually....if like in the game this other species had a similar level of sophistication, but was physically larger/stronger, and had roughly the same level of weapons tech and tactics.  If they swarmed the planet, our species would be in trouble.

Edited by MillionX
11 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I ain't getting burned again, this shit is bought

A lot of runs LRG does end up being exclusive to Best Buy about 3-6 months after the preorder window. Which is why I never bother preordering. 

im also not going to Pay a shit ton extra just to have a physical copy. Paying $50 for a $15 title just for the fact it’s physical is ridiculous to me 

Edited by iStu X
49 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I ain’t going to link directly to the site because fuck Resetera but it seems working for GameXplain was not the best. Apparently they were being paid 1-2 dollars an hour sometimes.

Their revenue is based of viewership and whatever ad revenue they can get. 

im not saying they should have known better or whatever but you should know and weight the risks of signing to a popular but not very profitable channel on a platform that cuts its creators off at the knee quite regularly

(I know people would think over 1.2 million subs is a lot but compared to a lot of other gaming channels, it’s not. Especially with how many people work at gamexplain and how much they try to do. Also, I’m not even talking about financially backed ones like IGN.) 

im glad and happy the people who left did so. There’s a fine line between loyalty and abusing that loyalty when it comes to personal businesses and the runners of gamexplain clearly crossed that with lines with several people. 

I had to go through that situation myself when I worked at the hobby shop I eventually quit 7 years ago. I finally stopped ignoring the red flags, put my foot down and quit. 

which sounds easy but it really isn’t. When something you may have helped build with friends, family, loved ones treat you so badly and you know it does it’s still hard to walk away. It becomes such an integral part of you it’s like chopping off a limb while hoping to fuck it grows back. 

Edited by iStu X

sheeeeitttt, watching this episode of The Unexplained---about my favorite shit... vampires and werewolves!  One segment is about a young dude who was obsessed with Vampire the Masquerade... since he and his friends are the focus of this segment, I'm guessing this ended badly 😄...just a wild guess here...

*ah yep... he ended up murdering his girlfriend's father or something... I'm just wondering what his clan of choice was... along with the disciplines. 😄  These are the important questions here....

hmm...from his look, I'm kinda guessing he may have pictured himself as either Brujah or Assamite.... possibly Tremere since they mentioned he had a "ritual" for his friends to join in on it (oddly enough his Mom got into it too.)  Malkavian also might be possible though back in the day, many people just played a Malk as some silly "looney tunes" crazy.

I just saw the dumbest take ever after Nintendo apparently DCMA fan games. "Sega doesn't don't this." Yeah lets look at Sega's bank account over the past 30 years in comparison to Nintendo when, at their peak, Sega had great games in every genre. If they managed their IPs like Nintendo, they'd still be a console manufacturer. Do you know what a competent company could do with all their IPs. Sega should rolling in money, not churning out mediocre Sonic titles. If it wasn't for Yakuza's development team, I don't knew when I would have bought an internally developed Sega title. I miss the Sega that was around just before the Dreamcast was canned. That Sega I'd put up against anybody.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I just saw the dumbest take ever after Nintendo apparently DCMA fan games. "Sega doesn't don't this." Yeah lets look at Sega's bank account over the past 30 years in comparison to Nintendo when, at their peak, Sega had great games in every genre. If they managed their IPs like Nintendo, they'd still be a console manufacturer. Do you know what a competent company could do with all their IPs. Sega should rolling in money, not churning out mediocre Sonic titles. If it wasn't for Yakuza's development team, I don't knew when I would have bought an internally developed Sega title. I mess the Sega that was around just before the Dreamcast was canned. That Sega I'd put up against anybody.

As a Sonic fan and Sega fan, using Sega as a counterpoint against what Nintendo does with their IP is not something to bring up.  I love the fact that Mania happened and love the fact that Sega lets the fan community do their own experimental Sonic games.  The bottom line though is always going to be...one of these companies is still making consoles and near consistently making profit each console generation and one isn't. 

Also feel like people selectively forget that Sega killed Streets of Rage Remake.

Edited by Sonichuman
7 hours ago, iStu X said:

A lot of runs LRG does end up being exclusive to Best Buy about 3-6 months after the preorder window. Which is why I never bother preordering. 

im also not going to Pay a shit ton extra just to have a physical copy. Paying $50 for a $15 title just for the fact it’s physical is ridiculous to me 

This is usually the case and what I do. 

Unfortunatly I got burned on River City Girls as best Buy never got their physicals. 

So play this game at your own risk. 

Edit: Ah yea I wouldn't use Sega as an example since they have DMCA'd plenty of stuff in the past. Don't get it twisted just cuz they let Sonic fans jixz all over that IP whenever. Go make game using one of their prized IPs. Go make Virtua Fighter 6. I dare you. 

Edited by RSG3

More games should have that "hardcore" mode where character death is permanent... I was messing around with that in Diablo lately... I've already had one close call where I had to teleport back to town. (*wouldn't that be funny if monsters could attack in towns?  Imagine if they let people mod this game..)  It definitely adds a certain thrill when your character only has that 1 life.  In D3, any gear you had on that character is also gone if he/she dies. It actually makes you think a bit more about playing carefully; being more defensive in the build.

The "nemesis" enemy is another concept more games need to steal... we've already seen this pop up in a few other games in recent years... Doom Eternal is the most recent one to use the idea that I know of....unfortunately I haven't run into any "Empowered Demons" yet though... probably since there's (surprisingly) only 1 other person I know for sure has Doom Eternal from my friend-list... and he's always lazy as hell about actually playing his games, from what I've seen... (one of those people that buys a game...and probably won't ever play it; more of a collector at this point....I don't get it, really...seems like a waste of money, imo)

edit--heh, that reminds me also of how fun it was to purposely get killed in D3 to spawn a nemesis for friends to deal with... one in particular I knew there was NO way he'd be able to deal with it because of how weak his characters are 😄  The idea of them getting stronger per player kill is also interesting.  I'd definitely steal this concept if I were making a game.

Edited by MillionX
11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

As a Sonic fan and Sega fan, using Sega as a counterpoint against what Nintendo does with their IP is not something to bring up.  I love the fact that Mania happened and love the fact that Sega lets the fan community do their own experimental Sonic games.  The bottom line though is always going to be...one of these companies is still making consoles and near consistently making profit each console generation and one isn't. 

Also feel like people selectively forget that Sega killed Streets of Rage Remake.

Even as huge Nintendo fan, Sega was my favorite developer. They made everything from Phantasy Star (not online) which was a good any JRPG franchise of it era. Great racing games out the wazoo Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, The Sonic franchise in it prime. The Panzer Dragoon series which feature was a great arcade shooter series that got an expectational RPG as well. Shining Force, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Dragon Force, Burning Rangers. etc. etc. etc. They have as more great IPs than THQ Nordiq has IPs period, and they've been buying every IP they can get their hands on. I miss that Sega.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, MillionX said:

ha, still checking thru that old issue of EGM (July 1993)... I forgot that there was a "Nosferatu" game for Super Famicom.  I don't recall it ever getting released in North America though....at least I never saw it anywhere...

of course at the time I was disappointed that you don't get to actually be Nosferatu himself though....since this was still in that earlier era of the industry where game devs just automatically assumed we'd always want to play as the hero.

There was also a Robocop vs. Terminator game previewed for SNES.... I never got around to playing that.

I remember playing that game. I didn't get too far into it, but it remindede of the 2d Prince Of Persia games a bit with a lot of grabbing platforms and jumping. I should download it again and give it a try since I've been tricking out my new phone as an emulation device too. 

Speakibg of which, my phone has a video out mode that's basically lagless for emulation and gaming. Even PS4 remote play works pretty well!

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Man stop dragging Ataris name through the mud people. Just stop...its already dead. 

Selling a console powered by an AMD Athlon 200GE APU in 2021 for $300 without a controller is worthy of being dragged through the mud, cleaned off, and dragged back through the mud again. Cheap bastards could have at least ponied up for Ryzen 2400G and some GDDR5. APUs are bandwidth sensitive.