Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Selling a console powered by an AMD Athlon 200GE APU in 2021 for $300 without a controller is worthy of being dragged through the mud, cleaned off, and dragged back through the mud again. Cheap bastards could have at least ponied up for Ryzen 2400G and some GDDR5. APUs are bandwidth sensitive. 

I'm talking about the company making that piece of shit Darc lol. 

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Man stop dragging Ataris name through the mud people. Just stop...its already dead. 

Back in 1983 🤣, its been a zombie ever since. 

Actually Radiant here is right, the Atari everyone thinks of been long dead back in the video game Crash.
People been buying up the name to try to pedal their own product, and most of that been trash outside the occasional retro compilation and even then the compilations are just cheap cash grabs, and that on Retro game compilation standards. 

Lynx was not a bad idea for a handheld, its a head of its time but poorly executed 
Jaguar is a hot mess
VCS is just a Joke, its a cheap system on a Chip PC that can be cracked open and be made to a TV set top PC.

ETA Prime found the best use for the VCS, just crack it open and install a SSD with your own OS and software on it

Edited by DarkSakul
8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Selling a console powered by an [b]AMD Athlon 200GE[/b] APU in 2021 for $300 without a controller is worthy of being dragged through the mud, cleaned off, and dragged back through the mud again. Cheap bastards could have at least ponied up for Ryzen 2400G and some GDDR5. APUs are bandwidth sensitive. 

I haven't watched the video yet but fucking what? What's a CPU designed to do basic shit. That has no business being on a console. 

On one hand I hate I haven’t been able to game in a little over a week but the other hand it’s fine cause I’ve been super busy with fun irl stuff.

I might hop back on octopath tomorrow. I feel I’ve taken a long enough break from it. I’ll have to find my bearings with it again though. I haven’t played it in probably 2+ weeks 

I keep forgetting that the PS4 is region free. The only import game I've bought thus far has been Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors. With my Switch, I own more imports than any other system, my Saturn included. The fact that the majority of Switch games support English language makes it that much easier to buy imports. So long as the price isn't insane. I was on PlayAsia looking at the price for the Aleste Collection. Ain't no way I'm forking over $71 for a handful of Aleste games.

I went ahead and bout the DLC for Ketsui. One included a special version of the game that had limited availability in 2007.  I'll try it out after a few more runs through regular Ketsui.

Anyway, I went back to Arcade mode on Ketsui and got my cheeks clapped. That Super Easy mode is calling me back and I'm about to come running. I did unlock Free Play which, I immediately turned on. 

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I haven't watched the video yet but fucking what? What's a CPU designed to do basic shit. That has no business being on a console. 

Bruh, I shit you not. It's powered by a 14nm Zen 1 based Athlon APU. Like WTF man. I mean I know they are on a budget so they couldn't get custom hardware but with that APU they shit should be $150 with a controller. That APU is like $50 Retail. It's three generations old. It's not even 12nm Zen+ based. For what they are charging it should have something around this level. This would put it above the Xbox One X and but below the Series S.

CPU: Ryzen 3300X (7nm Zen 2) 4 core 8 threads 3.8Ghz Base Clock 4.3 Ghz Boost Clock

CPU  Radeon 5500XT (7nm RDNA1) 22CU 1408 Stream Processors 1.7Ghz Base Clock 1.85Ghx Boost Clock 5.2 Teraflops

RAM: 8GB GDDR6 14Gbs 224GB/s Bandwidth

SSD: Intel 660P 512GB NVME 1.5TB/S

Hardly cutting edge. But cheap and above the last gen consoles.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 1/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, RSG3 said:

This is usually the case and what I do

I feel like Ubisoft is going to be Ubisoft with Scott Pilgrim and only let the LRG physical run be all they do and there will be no retail version. 

I could be wrong though. It may all depend on how many preorders it gets. That’ll let Ubisoft know if they need to release a retail version with LRG as well. 

ha, it gives me a laugh just seeing that dumbass character Big the Cat.  Amazing that someone would've thought that was a good playable character idea for any Sonic game....and yeah it irked me that you *had* to play as him in Sonic Adventure to eventually get the true ending, if I recall....it was like someone on the team pitched this idea originally as a joke but it went too far and actually became a real thing in the final game.  He was in Sonic Heroes as well, but at least he wasn't a problem there, since the characters all still played generally fast; no slow-paced nonsense like fishing there.... I still say that game got a bad rap... I was one of the only people that enjoyed Sonic Heroes.  It wasn't the greatest of all time or anything but it was a reasonably good time; I have more fond memories of it than I do for either "Adventure" game.  It also gave us what is still one of my favorite gaming music tracks in "This Machine".... c'mon, folks you know that shit was the jam:

48 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

This one hurts. I was so hyped for this and it ended up being a dud. It managed to do the impossible and be a Sonic game with trash music.  

The game super mediocre and def would have been able to iron out and do better with a sequel.  Too bad that will never happen what with reception and Penders.  The story was interesting and I actually liked some of the turn based fighting mechanics since they were just timed hits using the touch screen.  No excuse for that music though.  SMH.

Look how they massacred my boy...

I've been waiting for quite sometime for my Japanese eShop card to come through so I can buy Esp.Ra.De Psi. Whatever the case, I will not use Nippon Yasan again for eShop credit and will find a different vendor for this going forward. At this point, I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a physical copy and having it shipped; cost be damned. In any case, I have a support ticket in with them, and should hear back from them either today or tomorrow perhaps.

As far as the PS5 goes, I've started playing Doom 2016 on the console, and I'm almost to the halfway point in the game. Work schedule this week is short, so I'll be spending a lot of time trying to finish the game before my birthday on Saturday; and possibly starting Doom Eternal that day as well.

Forgot to mention earlier, that as part of the after-holiday sale that LRG had; I scored a copy of Senko no Ronde 2 for PS4. I think that makes for five pending orders with LRG between both my PS4/PS5 and Switch. Got two of the limited edition NeoGeo cases (Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol. 2), SnR2, and then my two Switch games; all waiting to be shipped.

Edit: waiting until tomorrow morning to see if that eShop credit deal is still going, if it is; I may bite for two.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah

Played Monster Hunter Rise demo today with a friend and this game is going to be pretty damn fun.  Gotta remember I don't need to run to the monster anymore I can just Spiderman my way over now.  I dig the mobility and movement options the game affords with the wirebugs.  I wish they had kept the mounting mechanic from the previous games though but Riding the monsters is an ok substitute.

sheeeittt, the one thing they *really* got right in Borderlands 3 is the gameplay... I was just playing  yesterday and again just now.  All the new little details like the ability to slide and grab ledges is fun... and overall the pace of the action seems a bit faster than previous Borderlands games.

I noticed an option to disable "player callouts" but apparently it doesn't cover what I wanted though... one annoying nitpick is how easily Zane gets tired...it's incredibly annoying to me at least...and kinda takes a piss on the whole power fantasy if your character gets totally winded after about 4 to 5 seconds of running....and it's not just "slightly out of breath" sounds, either.  The guy sounds like he needs to sit down for a minute or else he's going to pass out...like someone right after an intense workout session at the gym, and it's that first time back after several months of no exercise....the shit is pitiful, man.  Anyway, I was hoping that option would mute that lame shit but it doesn't.

So I took advantage of that eShop card sale I posted yesterday and I’m glad I get. $140 in eShop credit for $100 is a steal. The  $70 digital eShop card is now removed/sold out as well. Which is a shame because I was contemplating getting 2 more. 

either way, I got some stuff last night

Collection of SaGa: Final Fantasy Legend. I had all three for my GBC as a kid. It’ll be fun to revisit them.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate. I played a fan translation of the original super famicom version when I was younger and played the DS version like crazy. I’m happy to revisit it again on the Switch. It’s probably my favorite “Mystery Dungeon” style rogue-like. 

Double Dragon Neon. It’s a game I didn’t really like when it first came out but I’m willing to give it another shot. 

Untitled Goose Game. MESS WITH THE HONK YOU GET THE BONK!

Moon. I’ve always heard great things about it as it’s an “anti-rpg rpg”. I’ve always enjoyed weird against the grain titles. So I’m willing to give it a shot. 

I still have $52 left after factoring in my $6 in gold points. I already know I’m getting Scott Pilgrim and Cyber Shadow. Which equals out to $35. So I’m not sure what to do with the last $17. Probably just sit on it until something else I want comes out. 

Edited by iStu X

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST! 

Classic Mode coming to Bloodstained on 1/14

the polish government is now looking into CDPR

WB Games has scrapped all of Gotham Knights current combat engine in order to rebuilt it so it’s more co-op friendly 

apparently there’s a borderlands movie happened and it begins filming soon. 

Legendary Tetris player Jonas Neubauer passes away at 39. Cause of death not given. 

Edited by iStu X
10 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I beat the swamp in DeS! Beat the boss, too 💪

Now I gotta decide what to get with the Pureblood soul. Looks like I can get Resurrection or Death Cloud. Probably go with Death Cloud, unless there's something better to do with it? I think I finished all the worlds except 1-4. Thinking I might try NG+ after I beat the game.

Resurrection is pretty damn good fyi. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, MillionX said:

sheeeittt, the one thing they *really* got right in Borderlands 3 is the gameplay... I was just playing  yesterday and again just now.  All the new little details like the ability to slide and grab ledges is fun... and overall the pace of the action seems a bit faster than previous Borderlands games.

I noticed an option to disable "player callouts" but apparently it doesn't cover what I wanted though... one annoying nitpick is how easily Zane gets tired...it's incredibly annoying to me at least...and kinda takes a piss on the whole power fantasy if your character gets totally winded after about 4 to 5 seconds of running....and it's not just "slightly out of breath" sounds, either.  The guy sounds like he needs to sit down for a minute or else he's going to pass out...like someone right after an intense workout session at the gym, and it's that first time back after several months of no exercise....the shit is pitiful, man.  Anyway, I was hoping that option would mute that lame shit but it doesn't.

Reminds me of Darksiders 2. Yoyr death and ride upon a mystical skeletal pale horse....that can sprint for 25 seconds and then is winded as fuck. 

Fucking why?

I've been thinking about Puppet Combo's games and why they're so terrifying to me. 

Decided to get all psychoanalytical and came to the conclusion that videogames were the scariest to me in 2000. RE2 had just came out on N64 and it was the first "scary" game I had ever seen. 

That shit had me shook. Something about the psx/n64 look makes me uneasy. So, I guess I have nostalgic terror (trauma, I guess) from that time and Puppet Combo has me shitting my pants every time they drop a game. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Reminds me of Darksiders 2. Yoyr death and ride upon a mystical skeletal pale horse....that can sprint for 25 seconds and then is winded as fuck. 

Fucking why?

yeah, and Darksiders 2 was such a disappointment for me, in terms of how insanely tedious it is.... having to do soooo many things just to ultimately open a door on the other side of a hallway, basically...shit like that.  And yeah, if we're in this role as the biblical Horseman of Death... an assumedly powerful magical entity... why are things like getting to a door on the other side of a structure a problem?  Why can I not float over the wall, or break it down, or phase through it magically, or teleport, or any of the other countless options such a supernatural being should be capable of?  It's ridiculous...the character has trouble with simple shit that wouldn't be a problem for a random high school kid in reasonably good athletic shape, or has even the slightest bit of problem-solving skill and ingenuity.  I intended for part 2 to then be my final time with this franchise...

...but I've been tempted lately with Darksiders Genesis lately, since it seems at least slightly different, with another style of presentation...

but Darksiders is quite a sore spot for me.  I had such high hopes there... it naturally looked awesome since the art direction happens to be from one of my favorite comic book artists of all time; Joe Madureira.  On top of that, it *appeared* to be an action-rpg, but there's just so much other tedium in the way...I really just wanted either a pure action game like Bayonetta, or at least something that is action with some rpg elements like leveling up and unlocking stuff..... it's terribly frustrating what happened with this series.

Borderlands 3--- one solution to the nitpick is to play FL4K, of course (*my 2nd character)...since it's a robot character, naturally it doesn't get "winded" after running around...at least I don't think so...it would be silly if Fl4k was "out of breath" after running.  

Edited by MillionX