Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

2 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

Rollback or nothing at this point. 

I know people in the fgc want rollback and is preferable, but the vast majority of people actually dislike rollback since most of the time, they identify any rollback as a glitch.

Then add that having rollback or not has not been a real factor in sales for the vast majority of fgs out there, since games with rollback and ggpo to boot dont seel more because of it, and games with delay based have not being affected by not having rollback unless the game in question is a combination of very niche and having a really terrible netcode.

Plus is until last year that rollback has become an actual hot topic, but is still focused on the smallest subset of the buyers population.

48 minutes ago, iStu X said:

In case anyone who is wondering who the girl is in the picture: her name is Rae Lil Black. 

oh, her Google search is def nsfw

Um.....someone needs to put her ass on a milk carton because it's missing fam. How does she sit down?

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I think she’s wonderful. I’m sad that she’s been getting all her tattoos removed though. 😞 

I am doing some research on her to see what kind of content has done so far.

I wanna see if there is some hardcore shit that i am into that she has covered, lol.

The bugs continue in SPVTW:TG, but it’s still fun and I’m still having a blast. 

I think I’m just spoiled from the polished delight that SoR4 and River City Girls is. 

for real tho, I’m running into some legit bugs every 20 minutes or so. 

Edited by KingTubb
11 hours ago, KingTubb said:

VGM Fridays

To celebrate the rerelease of SPVTWTG (lol) Imma just post the whole OST cause it's good:

Anamanaguchi just put a video that showed up in my feed of them doing some tracks from the OST live for those interested.

I'm going to post this in the VGM thread as well

Edited by Sonichuman
16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Don't hit it from the back. her tailbone will make you regret it.

Everyone's laughing but I'm being dead serious. Skinny chicks can be fun to mess around with because they weigh next to nothing. You can pull all kinds of shenanigans, do your best re-enactment of Vhing Rames in Baby Boy but you have to be mindful of the downsides. You'll find out the next day what I mean if you hit bony ass chick's from the back. Don't say I didn't warn you. Just trying to look out fam.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I know people in the fgc want rollback and is preferable, but the vast majority of people actually dislike rollback since most of the time, they identify any rollback as a glitch.

Then add that having rollback or not has not been a real factor in sales for the vast majority of fgs out there, since games with rollback and ggpo to boot dont seel more because of it, and games with delay based have not being affected by not having rollback unless the game in question is a combination of very niche and having a really terrible netcode.

Plus is until last year that rollback has become an actual hot topic, but is still focused on the smallest subset of the buyers population.

i really have no clue when you say "the vast majority of people" from where?! I guess you're talking about casual who don't even play online that much to begin with. I understand rollback netcode won't amount to big sales but what the hell are we supposed to do us dedicated to these games just suck it up and live with delay netcode forever? screw all of that! I first experienced playing online with kaillera which had delay netcode and fucking hated it from the start. It was only when kof 98 came out for ggpo that i really started playing online not only with people from your own country but others as far as japan,korea and china where the most talented competition lies, what's not to like?!

Edited by rukawa_kaede
52 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

i really have no clue when you say "the vast majority of people" from where?! I guess you're talking about casual who don't even play online that much to begin with. I understand rollback netcode won't amount to big sales but what the hell are we supposed to do us dedicated to these games just suck it up and live with delay netcode forever? screw all of that! I first experienced playing online with kaillera which had delay netcode and fucking hated it from the start. It was only when kof 98 came out for ggpo that i really started playing online not only with people from your own country but others as far as japan,korea and china where the most talented competition lies, what's not to like?!

Is easy to think that the casuals dont play online much, but that is ot necessarily true.

Between Enthusiasts (those who play regularly, but arent necessairily hardcore) and casuals you have the vast majority of players of fgs and other genres.

I understand and know why rollback is preferred since it allows for the more on the trash end internet infrastructure to have a semblance of consistency, something that delay struggles on those specific scenarios.

The thing is like i said, the majority of people actually perceive rollbacks as the game bugging like when you end on a bad connection with your opponent jumping all over the place due the rollback, not to mention that rollback has the unfortunate side effect of leading of anti cathartic scenarios where you react and land a super for example, to have a rollback where you are the one eating the super instead or some shit like that (an exagerattion, but scenarios like this happen.)

Just a couple of years back, when capcom introduced their 1st version of their rollback technology with SFxT, we had continuous threads poping up with people complaining about the constant "bugs" when playing online, i remember that me and others wasted in more than one ocassion, time explaining that it wasnt the game bugging but the netcode working as intended.

Keep in mind, i am not saying that rollback shouldnt be the goal, many idiots (like the imbecile of dev or evilcanadian) confuse me explaining why Rollback has not been a priority for so long, as me being against rollback being implemented on games, when is more of me giving a reasoning of why you see the technology taking so much time to being adopted into the genre.

Now one thing that i am against is the stupidity of many people to conflate a game not having rollback as inmediately having bad netcode.

That is disingenuous, since many of the current games actually have a really good netcode despite neing delay, only really showing the drawbacks of it on the truly bad connections.

And i need to emphazise this, since we have games with delay like DBFZ having better consistency and connection that SFV most of the time, and the later has rollback (a quite bad implementation).

Specially when what some people claim to be playable on rollback is just as terrible as having a lot of lag spikes on delay, with the game constantly desynching and rolling back every couple of seconds, but since they managed to pull a miserable 3 hit combo into a super, then is the best experience ever, GTFO with that, 🤣

The sad truth is that companies wouldnt invest on implementing rollback netcodes if they dont see a monetary insentive on it, and so far the fgc as a whole (casuals, enthusiasts and hardcores) has not giving them a reason to look at it until just very recently.

Like i said, we have small games pushing rollback and ggpo even as sale points being ignored because they are small games that maybe lack the same polish as the bigger games, while the bigger games outside SF have made bank without needing to implement rollback.

KI had the disgrace to be tied to the lolbox so it didnt manage to make an impact, and MK is an outlier that while set a good prescedent, the reality is that it will sell the same amount of copies regardless if it has rollback or delay.

The silver lining here is that in a world post covid, without offline tournaments and gatherings for who knows how long, there is a major insentive now for companies to actually put more focus on the online experience, even if with rollback is still not a subtitute of offline play.

There's nothing like the feeling of having to KO someone three times in a single round because the connection keeps rolling back. 🙄

In my experience, if you are serious about playing fighting games online, getting a fiber connection should be the first step. Unless your isp sucks ass, you'll be able to have a pretty good experience with any kind of netcode on a connection like that. 

I picked up Scott Pilgrim on Playstation, and played a little bit of it last night before bed. I remember being super stoked about the game when it originally came out, but I'm not hype enough to the point where I'll double dip on this game for PC/Switch, especially with the LRG physical editions. I **might** pick up the Switch physical release for this game just for the collectability value of it, but I don't see myself buying the large ass $130 edition that they're hawking.

I also am not planning on picking up that KOFXIV limited edition I posted about a couple of days ago any time soon. SNK fucked things up by prioritizing framerate on the XBox ports of the latest Samsho game over good netcode, which everyone and their mother has been asking for, for months now. Might pick up that Garou CE that I saw they had on that site if I get a couple of decent invoices, that way I'm not wiped out over paying $300 for it.

2 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

SNK fucked things up by prioritizing framerate on the XBox ports of the latest Samsho game over good netcode

Kudos to SNK for making the right choice. 

Edit: Oh I see...meh, i don't play fighters online but I get your point. 

Edited by RSG3
10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is easy to think that the casuals dont play online much, but that is ot necessarily true.

Between Enthusiasts (those who play regularly, but arent necessairily hardcore) and casuals you have the vast majority of players of fgs and other genres.

I understand and know why rollback is preferred since it allows for the more on the trash end internet infrastructure to have a semblance of consistency, something that delay struggles on those specific scenarios.

The thing is like i said, the majority of people actually perceive rollbacks as the game bugging like when you end on a bad connection with your opponent jumping all over the place due the rollback, not to mention that rollback has the unfortunate side effect of leading of anti cathartic scenarios where you react and land a super for example, to have a rollback where you are the one eating the super instead or some shit like that (an exagerattion, but scenarios like this happen.)

Just a couple of years back, when capcom introduced their 1st version of their rollback technology with SFxT, we had continuous threads poping up with people complaining about the constant "bugs" when playing online, i remember that me and others wasted in more than one ocassion, time explaining that it wasnt the game bugging but the netcode working as intended.

Keep in mind, i am not saying that rollback shouldnt be the goal, many idiots (like the imbecile of dev or evilcanadian) confuse me explaining why Rollback has not been a priority for so long, as me being against rollback being implemented on games, when is more of me giving a reasoning of why you see the technology taking so much time to being adopted into the genre.

Now one thing that i am against is the stupidity of many people to conflate a game not having rollback as inmediately having bad netcode.

That is disingenuous, since many of the current games actually have a really good netcode despite neing delay, only really showing the drawbacks of it on the truly bad connections.

And i need to emphazise this, since we have games with delay like DBFZ having better consistency and connection that SFV most of the time, and the later has rollback (a quite bad implementation).

Specially when what some people claim to be playable on rollback is just as terrible as having a lot of lag spikes on delay, with the game constantly desynching and rolling back every couple of seconds, but since they managed to pull a miserable 3 hit combo into a super, then is the best experience ever, GTFO with that, 🤣

The sad truth is that companies wouldnt invest on implementing rollback netcodes if they dont see a monetary insentive on it, and so far the fgc as a whole (casuals, enthusiasts and hardcores) has not giving them a reason to look at it until just very recently.

Like i said, we have small games pushing rollback and ggpo even as sale points being ignored because they are small games that maybe lack the same polish as the bigger games, while the bigger games outside SF have made bank without needing to implement rollback.

KI had the disgrace to be tied to the lolbox so it didnt manage to make an impact, and MK is an outlier that while set a good prescedent, the reality is that it will sell the same amount of copies regardless if it has rollback or delay.

The silver lining here is that in a world post covid, without offline tournaments and gatherings for who knows how long, there is a major insentive now for companies to actually put more focus on the online experience, even if with rollback is still not a subtitute of offline play.

I'm going to have to give you the point because I haven't played any modern game with rollback so far except for kof2k2um. I don't know how good or bad the experience is say in SFV for example because I don't care about the game. I hate delay netcode it throws me off it's an unstable mess in the games I've tried it (KOF XIII, XIV, KOF 98UM mainly ) with 98um being the best experience but not as good as rollback. I've played mainly on fightcade and I think it's proven rollback works good with classic games except maybe third strike. Delay netcode might be proven to be stable in small countries like Japan with superb internet but it's a mixed bag in big countries like the U. S with shitty connections. However as you said it's probably going to be the same with rollback when we would still have the same  shit internet it will make no difference. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede

Cyael is still on the case with the ongoing disaster that is Marvel's Avengers... *edit---haha that little side-by-side comparison shot of Captain America from Fortnite, the MCU, Ultimate Alliance 3 and then this game....hahaha that's not a good look. Cap looks "dusty" in comparison there 🤣

On another note; I'm having fun once again with Borderlands Pre-Sequel on Switch; Doppelganger Jack at level 7 so far.... got some good time in at the car dealership place today while getting the oil change...then again in a parking lot waiting for a store to open.  Portable gaming continues to reign supreme.

...but yeah, Doppelganger Jack was sooo good; right away I'm starting on my old build again... the left skill-tree has an early pick that makes your clones stronger the longer they are out on the field....it's interesting that such a strong choice happens to be something you can get so early in the skill-tree...it's literally in the first row. 😄

One thing B3 brought to the table that needs to stay from here on out though---multiple "action skills" per character.  (and at least in the case of Zane, he can have 2 selected!  He loses the grenades though if you go do that.)

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, rukawa_kaede said:

I'm going to have to give you the point because I haven't played any modern game with rollback so far except for kof2k2um. I don't know how good or bad the experience is say in SFV for example because I don't care about the game. I hate delay netcode it throws me off it's an unstable mess in the games I've tried it (KOF XIII, XIV, KOF 98UM mainly ) with 98um being the best experience but not as good as rollback. I've played mainly on fightcade and I think it's proven rollback works good with classic games except maybe third strike. Delay netcode might be proven to be stable in small countries like Japan with superb internet but it's a mixed bag in big countries like the U. S with shitty connections. However as you said it's probably going to be the same with rollback when we would still have the same  shit internet it will make no difference. 

I suspect a good portion of the people who are clamoring for rollback are people with taco bell internet/wifi warriors that think it will cover their ass. Rollback is good but it's not a magic bullet and I doubt a lot of the people who are saying "Well, I'd play it if it had rollback" still wouldn't play it even if it did. 

Fightcade's netcode is really stellar, it's just a shame it's tied to such crappy emulators, and I say this as someone who's put hundreds and hundreds of hours playing on it. 

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Ok, I’m gonna take a break from Scott Pilgrim. The bugginess has finally broken me. I can’t handle it anymore. 

seriously tho? Is it just me? Anyone else having some major bullshit happening to them?

Robert Pattinson Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Anyone else?   Who is even playing that old ass game?    Didn't we all play it 10 years ago?     Is there new content on this re-release?

Some of them indie games coming out looking nice.   I still don't care about anything else them indies and this dfo stuff coming out along side a few jrpgs like Granblue relink

Still el oh eling at the dumb ass that said this looked worse graphic-wise than Nier Automata.   Y'all really just be saying anything.

Was this already shared?  

Rollback got me back into Tekken. I've always been blessed with good internet, but even so I could never play that game with my friends outside the country. Sometimes even in the country. It was just unplayable, even though we all have solid connections.

Now, we can all play just fine. Electrics, taunt jet upper, all those complex mannuevers or just frames are actually doable now. Wouldn't have been possible if the game remained delay based. 

Not to besmirch delay netcode: it can and does work for fighting games sometimes, but I've never had a delay based expirience in a fighting game that felt better than rollback (when both parties have good connections) , save for maybe SFV, which is all over the place anyway and can hardly even be called an example of rollback implementation... 

In the good timeline, every FG would feel just as good as Power Rangers does online, but, alas.... 

35 minutes ago, Angel said:

Anyone else?   Who is even playing that old ass game?    Didn't we all play it 10 years ago?     

LRG sold over  25k copies of Scott Pilgrim in less than 3 hours of preorders being opened. And that’s just on the Switch. 

so yeah. A lot of people are still wanting to play it 

Edited by iStu X
29 minutes ago, Angel said:

Cool, so I guess we are just gonna skip the question I asked?

It’s a complete edition so it came with the original dlc that came out for it. Nothing new added. Which is fine, imo given it’s price point of $15. 

the fact it sold so many preorders and the number keeps going up tells Ubisoft and universal that people still care about the game, still love it and still want to play it. 

Are there better beat em ups out there? Yeah, sure. Does that matter? No. Not really. They don’t take away from the fact Scott Pilgrim is an amazing beat em up that people have been waiting almost a decade to play again. 

Edited by iStu X
23 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I personally would have kept it at a locked 60fps, and tried redoing the netcode. People have been asking for quite sometime now for the netcode to be redone.

Redoing the netcode takes more time and effort than uncapping the framerate for a more strong hardware.

Also, while i will be the 1st to tell you that the netcode of Samsho is not the best, i think its major problem right now is that it lacks a solid way to synch the game once you get a desynch.

The game has the bennefit of not being affected much by its netcode thanks to how the gameplay of the game works.

Due being very slow, and small combo oriented, you can almost ignore the bad connection most of the time.

The real problem is that once you get a desynch, unlike other games, where you will either have a rollback or a input delay spike, the game simply struggles to synch again and the connection gets dropped.

That happens like 90% of the time a desynch happens.

That and that for some reason the game is very inconsitent.

I can play with friends on japan just well, but cant play for shit with friends on colombia, despite colombia being closer to my country honduras.

Edited by Hecatom

Every time I see footage of that Lost Soul Aside game, I want it that much more.  It and the new Final Fantasy look like the absolute top-rank picks when it comes to fast "Stylish Action" coming up in the near future.

...since y'know... there's no hope for Bayonetta 3 if we're being real.  If it even comes out it probably won't be until 3 or 4 console generations from now.... "maybe".  It's like they want this to be the next Duke Nukem Forever situation.  Whole new movie trilogy franchises will start, end, and be airing on regular television by the time that shit is out.  Kamala Harris will have served 2 terms as President, and the next 3 pandemics will be going on by that time too.

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm pretty fucking annoyed right now.  Ubisoft put the ability to play Scott Pilgrim online behind a Ubisoft Connect account.  Really guys?  Mandatory signup hoop to jump through in order to play the game.  SMH

That sounds like a pretty typical Ubisoft fuck up smh. 

Crowbcat does his thing more with buggy or cringy disasters EVERYONE can agree on.

As much controversy as TLOU2 had with its story (I didn't like it myself), it was still a solid (as in functional) game with few bugs that went on to sell millions and win all the awards.

This CP77 drama is an objective garbage fire everyone can see. Any long video essayist worth their salt will have a CP2077 video if they don't already. For real. I'll be disappointed if the Internet Historian doesn't come out with something in the next 2 months.

Edited by axeman61