Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

27 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

They used to do that crap in the music industry too to make it sound like an album had sold a ton of copies from the outset when in reality they were just sitting in record store stockrooms.

What counts towards total sales, tho? Like if walmart thinks that they're gonna sell 1 million, and they only sell 800k, didn't nintendo still "sell" 1 million copies? 

Not trying to be argumentative or shitty, I'm just trying to understand how sales are counted 

51 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

What counts towards total sales, tho? Like if walmart thinks that they're gonna sell 1 million, and they only sell 800k, didn't nintendo still "sell" 1 million copies? 

Not trying to be argumentative or shitty, I'm just trying to understand how sales are counted 

Far as I know, it only counts as a sale when the barcode is scanned at checkout. I'm not sure how it works in the game industry, but in music, unsold merch could be shipped back to the labels after a certain amount of time, the albums were basically taken on consignment in a sense. 

The "we shipped x number of copies" is basically a press release saying "we expect big sales and want to throw out an impressive number to make the casual reader think this game is a hit already." 

53 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Depends on deals are set up with retailers.  From how I understand it you can mostly assume that 'shipments' are nearly the same as sells since thats thats been sent out to retailers even though thats not how much has actualy been sold out of the stores.  The difference being that some retailers do have the option of selling back stock if they have an overabundance.

2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The difference being that some retailers do have the option of selling back stock if they have an overabundance.

Ok thanks. AoC's shipments is what started this topic, right? Considering that's nintendo first party, shipments and sales are probably pretty close. 

Doesn't that game have some serious performance issues? 

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Doesn't that game have some serious performance issues? 

Not enough to where it’s unplayable. I know some maps have a really hard time doing multiplayer but that’s about it. 

I 100%ed the game and sunk almost 100 hours into it with zero issues playing

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't know why they still crow about shipments like all those copies shipped have actually been sold. They used to do that crap in the music industry too to make it sound like an album had sold a ton of copies from the outset when in reality they were just sitting in record store stockrooms. 

Shipped copies are sales. Sales to retailers. Shipped units show how much demand their is for the product. 

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I 100%ed the game and sunk almost 100 hours into it with zero issues playing

damn, nice!

A game can't hold my attention more than 30 hours unless it has coop or online play of some sort. 

Every time I start a RPG I know I'm just going to end up disappointed in myself 😔 

9 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

A game can't hold my attention more than 30 hours unless it has coop or online play of some sort. 

Im the opposite. I absolutely hate online gaming cause it feels so synthetic. It doesn’t feel like I’m actually gaming with a friend or a person. Just an npc that may or may not call me the N word. 

If a game has co-op I prefer couch co-op. It’s simply better. But don’t get me wrong, I get why people love online co-op so much. Friends from other states, friends from states you use to live in, old co workers, family members, etc. it’s just not for me. I loathe it. 

but that doesn’t mean I won’t do it. It’s just not my favorite in any ways shape or form. For instance, Back on SRK we had a pretty active Mario Kart scene and it was a lot of fun. I also play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with my sister and BIL a lot. 

Edited by iStu X
Just now, iStu X said:

Just an npc that may or may not call me the N word. 

My friends don't say that shit🤣 I never play online co-op with strangers. Fuck that noise. I have to have VC and it has to be a homie. 

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

If a game has co-op I prefer couch co-op. It’s simply better.

100% agree, and it's starting to become a rarity in a lot of games, or at least it was when I was in college around 2012-2015. My roommate and I were always trying to find a couch co-op game and our options were always more limited than we thought they would be. But I will say that the last gen (PS4) had some serious bangers in the couch co-op category:

I'm looking at you overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime 

Also, the pandemic has thrown a wrench in those gears. 

I hate that a lot of those indie games *only* have couch-co-op if they have it at all... that game "Crawl" comes to mind, where it's 3 players in the role of ghosts and monsters vs. 1 who is a living human (then whoever got the killing blow gets their humanity back so now that person is the target).  

I also prefer co-op in general to direct Vs. mode stuff... it's just generally more fun for me... like in Gears, I'm always up for some good ol' Horde or Escape action... I'll take that over regular Deathmatch or Zone/territory-capture type stuff any day.....though there's still an enjoyable co-op aspect of *team* deathmatch though...

Best couch-co-op times for me--- a friend and his wife were also big fans of Phantasy Star Online, so I often went over there, and the 3 of us would be on adventures in that game for hours at a time, almost every weekend....so many good times were had back then...we had the Gamecube version but also played a bit on the Xbox version.  We also would play Hunter: The Reckoning and Champions of Norrath together.

Edited by MillionX
46 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I get why people love online co-op so much. Friends from other states, friends from states you use to live in, old co workers, family members, etc. it’s just not for me. I loathe it. 

I play Rocket League every night with a couple good friends of mine who live across the country. During this pandemic, it has really been my primary source of social interaction. I get to hang with some buddies online for an hour or so after the baby goes down and we can clown on each other and blow off steam. I tell you, it's a much needed sanity break, and a safe way to interact in the age of covid.

Been getting back into Destiny lately, too. Man, the co-op in that game is amazing.  Just going around to the different planets doing strikes and shit, and killing all the fucks together with friends.  And I finally got a raid group organized to try the new raid this coming Friday. Hype!

22 minutes ago, Chadouken said:
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I play Rocket League every night with a couple good friends of mine who live across the country. During this pandemic, it has really been my primary source of social interaction. I get to hang with some buddies online for an hour or so after the baby goes down and we can clown on each other and blow off steam. I tell you, it's a much needed sanity break, and a safe way to interact in the age of covid.

for sure, and that’s awesome. But a lot of my friends back home play games I genuinely have no interest in. I’m reluctantly retired from fighters due to the neuropathy in my hand. So I don’t play those. 

Mario Kart online is fun I just wish Switch had god damn voice chat. I’d love to throw down in races with everyone from here and $RK again though. Oh, and I ran missions in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 with @M A R T I A Nbut it was only a small handful of times. 

Like I said, I 100% get why people love online gaming and I don’t look down on them or begrudge it. I just don’t like it or find it necessary to enjoy games.

I attribute it to growing up in so many communities that required a lot of local interaction for them to be successful. (FGC, Lan Centers, Hobby Shops, DND campaigns, etc) .

Also being the community manager for the hobby store I worked at made me even more adamant about it. 

Edited by iStu X

Online gaming with strangers has gotten far more toxic over the years with varying levels depending on the game and the mode.  When Xbox live was really hitting its stride on 360 at first talking to people online could still be potentially be fun.  Now people are trying too damn hard in non competitive shit like Among Us.  Among Us chat with randos has been a literal coin flip on whether you get a decent group to play with to the point I don't even bother anymore.  I just play with just the one group now.

7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't know why they still crow about shipments like all those copies shipped have actually been sold. They used to do that crap in the music industry too to make it sound like an album had sold a ton of copies from the outset when in reality they were just sitting in record store stockrooms. 

Once they've shipped, they have their money. In gaming at least, there typically isn't a buyback program. It's why stores usually get so few units besides pre-orders. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Just curious as to how this non actor James Bond is going to look.

Maybe they'll go off of Flemming's description, who said he looked like Hoadgy Carmichael 

image.png.975c0b6488d6df289a73069c8a16bd72.png

But with "something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold"

and he also had a pretty big scar on his face. 

Or they'll model him after Mr. T. Fuck it, they can do whatever they want. Bond's character is defined by his actions imho, not his appearance. 

Edited by KingTubb
14 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Made even worse when you consider that unsold shipped units could end costing the publishers money depending on the sales issurance policies that the retailers have in agreement with the publisher, lol.

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Shipped copies are sales. Sales to retailers. Shipped units show how much demand their is for the product. 

Nah, not really.

Shipped units are based on estimates/projections that publishers have and expect the game to sell.

You can have scenarios where the game had 2 million units shipped, but the game is not selling at all due issues with it, or because it was not received as the devs expected.

For example Anthem had a lot of units shipped that were never sold and had to be bought back by EA because of it.

Or DmC, who capcom expected to ship 2 million units, had to slash the numbers to 1.2 million when it was clear the game wasnt selling and in the end only sold like 600k units across 3 platforms, forcing Capcom to retrive back the unsold stock.

Shipped units can be a measure for interest, but that is only true when the game has been out for a while and the initial shipment was already sold, but even then, is still projections on how much they expect to sell.