Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Nah, not really.

Shipped units are based on estimates/projections that publishers have and expect the game to sell.

You can have scenarios where the game had 2 million units shipped, but the game is not selling at all due issues with it, or because it was not received as the devs expected.

For example Anthem had a lot of units shipped that were never sold and had to be bought back by EA because of it.

Or DmC, who capcom expected to ship 2 million units, had to slash the numbers to 1.2 million when it was clear the game wasnt selling and in the end only sold like 600k units across 3 platforms, forcing Capcom to retrive back the unsold stock.

Shipped units can be a measure for interest, but that is only true when the game has been out for a while and the initial shipment was already sold, but even then, is still projections on how much they expect to sell.

When I use to work retail the store never sent back any game that was collecting dust on the shelf. They would put it on sale constantly. For Anthem I would often see it on the bargaining pin for less than half price 3 months after release. 

24 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I just realized it's been over a decade since I've played a sonic game with voice acting. 

Did I miss anything good? 

Generations, Colors, Mania (no VA for this though) and Lost World was interesting.  The other games I can't in good faith say were near good.  Heard that the Sonic Boom games on 3DS actually weren't bad though.  Just stay away from Sonic Free Riders (when Roger first started), Sonic Forces, and Sonic Boom Wii U and you'll be fine.

Honorable mention goes to Sonic Boom TV show which is actually funny.  Disappointed we aren't getting a 3rd season but hoping the Netflix show is good.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Did I miss anything good? 

Colors, Generations and Mania. Lost World is hit or miss. It's definitely unconventional as far as Sonic games go. What you want out a sonic game will factor into if you'll like it or not.

Honorable mentions to the racing games. All Star Racing Transformed is the best Kart racer (fight me Mario Kart fans) and Team Sonic Racing is a decent game.

Vids

Spoiler

English trailer of what was posted earlier ^

Extra

I really need more game devs to implement something like the Nemesis system into future games.  I'm wondering if it's just something they don't want to pursue because of budget reasons or work but this type of thing running in the back ground of like big adventure/ Open World games can make some of those games far more unique experiences.

Edit: huh...didn't know that they had a patent out for the Nemesis system...that explains it.

Edited by Sonichuman
1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

Colors, Generations and Mania. Lost World is hit or miss. It's definitely unconventional as far as Sonic games go. What you want out a sonic game will factor into if you'll like it or not.

Honorable mentions to the racing games. All Star Racing Transformed is the best Kart racer (fight me Mario Kart fans) and Team Sonic Racing is a decent game.

I meant to mention Team Sonic Racing and forgot.

yeah, the "nemesis" thing is easily my favorite gaming trend of the last few years.  I am not sure I would ever be tired of seeing it, really.  I've enjoyed this in Diablo and that LOTR Shadow of War game, and it's in Doom Eternal as well ("Empowered Demons").

haha, all these years later, and the pc-version of Diablo 3 STILL never got the Nemesis if I recall.  I'm sure 99% of that side of the fanbase would downplay it like that's not really a big deal of course but whatever. 😄  That is still the handicapped version of the game, imo...and that's only 1 of the reasons for that opinion.

edit--ah, he is indeed referring specifically to the nemesis system in those LOTR games though; yeah that shit is genius-level game design, imo.  It is tragic that this and so many other great details of Shadow of War got overshadowed by so many people whining about the damn lootboxes...personally, I didn't give a shit about the lootbox situation; the game itself was still spectacular...it's everything the first one was and more.

Edited by MillionX

Those birds I mentioned in Cyber-Shadow? I was right to be weary of them. If they miss on a swoop, they double back! Those suckers got dat NES Ninja Gaiden DNA programmed into them! I stay ready whenever I see a bird in this game.

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

Played the demo for Balan Wonderworld. I thought the names attached looked familiar. Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima. Those are two of Sonic's daddy's. The game is interesting and I got a NiGHTS vibe from it. I didn't love the demo but I didn't hate it either. Feels like a game I need to get more time with to make a decisive call on it. Regardless, I do want to see how the full game pans out so I may end up buying it. 

SHMUP fans, we got it guuuuuudaaa. G-MODE Archives ZANAC, Project StarshipX and Arcade Archives Halley Wars are all up on the eShop (I know two of these are on other platforms but the Switch is my system of choice when SHMUPs hit it).