Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Died to the TLB of Crimzon Clover...profound sadness. 

Arcade difficulty? I only got there once after a lot of practice, and it  phase 1 got me. Getting past stage 3 on one credit is a huge hurdle, thought it was tougher that 4 and the level itself in 5.

Just now, Camacho said:

Arcade difficulty? I only got there once after a lot of practice, and it  phase 1 got me. Getting past stage 3 on one credit is a huge hurdle, thought it was tougher that 4 and the level itself in 5.

Yes was Arcade. He got me in Phase 2. Crushed me up against the side wall as he likes to do.

If have probably got it if I hadn't let the previous boss drop right down on my fucking face when he decided the bounce. I knew it was coming, I knew he does it...still deer in the headlights his ads she. He dropped. Arrrrrg!!!!!

VGM Friday contribution:

Just started FFXV a couple days ago. 

I like it so far, but the battle system has a giant flaw. 

Wait is objectively better for battle: having the ability to scan enemies and know their strengths and weakness is a huge advantage and silly not to use.

BUT

It automatically pausing every time I'm not pressing something is annoying as fuck. I don't know if I should just try to get used to it, or just rock the active system and hope Ignes tells me what to hit them with. 

Ninja Theory no longer working on Bleeding Edge but will remain playable, shifts focus to Hellblade 2 and other projects

https://www.ign.com/articles/ninja-theory-will-add-no-more-content-to-bleeding-edge-as-it-focuses-on-hellblade-2-other-projects

Marvel's Avengers PS5 and Xbox seX version getting revealed next month

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-hawkeye-content-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-versions-to-be-shown-next-month

*cringe face*

Returnal delayed

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/returnal-delayed-to-april-30

Platinum's 5th announcement is going to be smaller in scale

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/platinumgames-fifth-platinum-4-announcement-smaller-in-scale-but-something-fans-will-get-a-kick-out-of

Wait this is still going on?  I forgot all about this.

Toshihiro Nagoshi to step down as COO and become creative Directer at Sega

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/toshihiro-nagoshi-to-step-down-as-sega-cco-and-become-creative-director-sega-sammy-announces-organizational-restructure

Edited by Sonichuman

haha Chronic the Hedgehog would be pretty funny.... surprising I haven't seen anything like that before; surely someone would've designed that easy joke at some point in all these years?  You could just recolor Sonic to green, give him some halfway open eyes, with the constant "I'm high as fukkkkk, mane" facial expression... and of course he's not quite as fast as his cousin, the original Sonic....in fact he's kinda laid back about everything in life.

...hmm...imagine LSD the Treefrog... he would have the power to cast incredibly realistic hallucinations for his enemies...maybe even warp reality a bit...

Anyway... the dlc for Dead Cells is well worth the 5 bucks, folks.  I've been playing this game non-stop once again.  The new areas and enemies are interesting...and there is a new "Cultist" outfit that's significantly different from all the others.... most outfits are unfortunately just palette-swaps of the same thing, basically, but that cultist outfit is something else and looks cool:

https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Outfits

I'll double-dip and get this for my XB1 version as well; I have enough reward points to just use that to buy it, actually.

Interesting excerpt from the Platinum interview

Lucasfilm recently signalled that it’s making the Star Wars license available to new game developers again. Have you already put your pitch in?

Kamiya: I’m glad you brought this up because I just bought the full Blu-ray boxset and I’ve been watching all the movies over the past few weeks. I’ve just got to Episode 9 and I’m going to watch it right after this interview!

Inaba: 9? Why watch the last trilogy?

Kamiya: I love 9!

Regarding working on a Star Wars game though… it’s a very well devised world. There’s just so much depth and character in that world that it’s almost terrifying to have to be in control of it for a game. I’d have my ideas for what I’d want to do for a game, but do those fit with the Star Wars franchise?

For PlatinumGames we could think, ‘we have a lightsaber, we slice at some guy and he goes flying, we do a mid-fair combo and then pull out a whip lightsaber and start getting at ‘em’, but what if the powers that be say, ‘you can’t do that with Star Wars’? That would be trying at times, possibly. So when we hear that it’s available, part of me is like, ‘gimme gimme gimme!’ But then part of me is also like, I don’t want to get tangled up in something that could get messy.

What do you think, Inaba?

Inaba: You mean about episodes 7, 8 and 9?

Kamiya: No, about us doing a Star Wars game!

Inaba: Honestly, I feel the same way. It does feel attractive to be able to work on it and it’d be a dream in some ways. But I also feel like we would just make the fans pissed if we worked on it. Star Wars has such a fully developed world I feel it might be hard for us to add something. I think fans would be angry at what we would do, so it’s a difficult proposition.

But you’d take the call?

Inaba: We’re not in a position to be turning down meetings with Disney! (laughs) We’re not that elite yet. We would be honoured to have a meeting with them, yes.

Kamiya loving 9 is probably making keyboard warriors go crazy right now.

Dead Cells -- the new boss "Scarecrow" is interesting... I've only fought it twice and got killed both times so far... I did better this last time though; he caught up to me while I was attempting to heal...and unless you pick a certain rune, that potion-drink animation is terribly long, and you're wide open while doing it, obviously.

I had everything randomized again in terms of weapons and gear, and just rolled with whatever showed up that was good; this is one of the things I enjoy most about this game...there's SO many ways to build the character in this.  This time, I had "phaser" teleport which is one of my favorite things...when paired with the "killer instinct" passive, you can teleport to enemies pretty much all the time as long as you keep killing things....and it naturally pairs well with the assassin's dagger....I didn't have that, but I had the torch, which is another one of the best "Brutality" weapons.  I had something else that splashes inflammable oil on enemies, so that was quite the vicious combo with the torch weapon.  I had the alchemic carbine weapon along with it, causing damage + poison status.  

There's so many unlockable weapons, items and passives it's just insane.  There's so many combinations of what you can put together for this character.  After the several hundreds of hours I've put in, I still don't have everything....most people won't even get close, actually....due to the harsh (yet fair) difficulty.  

Veedotme has a vid just posted on the new DLC:

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

The interview also mentioned that Astral Chain for the Switch is now 100% Nintendo’s IP

Astral Chain being a 100% Nintendo is worrisome only because I don't know if they have any teams in house that can replicate action systems if that game. The setting and all that is stock anime future sci-fi but the actual game mechanics are something else. Hopefully they will still collaborate with Platinum in the future on the hopeful sequel.

The Neo-Geo box games I now own is up to three, since I scored a copy of KOF 2k's collector's edition yesterday from Limited Run. The first two (Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2) haven't been shipped yet from LRG, and I ordered those last year before the holidays iirc. Also picked up the game's soundtrack as well, so we'll see how that goes.

I also jumped all over a couple of deals that Wario64 posted online for AC Valhalla and the new Watch Dogs game. For the price of one retail PS4 game including tax, I picked up both of those for PS5. Those will be here on Monday, with the two Switch games from Amazon Japan coming at the end of the week on Friday.

Just popping in to say I've been up since 11 PM last night playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and I cannot stop even now at 8 in the morning. I think I might have been a closet DND fan all this time. At least to some extent. 

I cannot even begin to express the level of depth and complexity this game has without even having left the "tutorial" area, so to speak. 

6 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

If you ever play any of the Civilization games on PC, let me know so we can find you a support group. 🤣

Civ is an RTS tho, right?

Divinity is very much turn based and I thank God for it because there's already so many complexities about the combat that make my head spin, and that's with all the time in the world to make decisions. 

Civ would probably have me like this in the first 5 minutes bro tumblr_ltk3flAj7M1qd8i3ko1_500.gif.45543cdeb0dd1b64c04974657d4f1181.gif

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

The sad thing about Starlink is it was DOA. When they revealed it at E3 2018 and mentioned it had toy to life mechanics you could hear a pin drop in the room. 

it’s sad too cause I played it a little on a friends switch and it’s a solid title. Nothing amazing but nothing horrible either. 

hell, I even bought a copy for the Switch....when Walmart clearanced it the game out...and just for the Arwing lol

Edited by iStu X