Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

yeah Starlink seemed quite alright to me...and surprisingly I actually saw it in a Walmart a few weeks ago(!?).... I got it on sale on Switch 2 Christmases ago when the "deluxe" edition was on sale for some insane discount.  The game seems nice to me; it was always odd that it didn't seem to catch on.  "Toys to life" is a clever concept from a business standpoint, but I guess the younger side of the gaming audience in general was already tired of it by that point.

...and yeah, this game seemed like the "real" next-gen Starfox finally.

edit--Skul: The Hero Slayer still isn't out yet on console unfortunately...  only thing I can find at the moment is "early 2021" in a search online.

Edited by MillionX
49 minutes ago, MillionX said:

yeah Starlink seemed quite alright to me...and surprisingly I actually saw it in a Walmart a few weeks ago(!?).... I got it on sale on Switch 2 Christmases ago when the "deluxe" edition was on sale for some insane discount.  The game seems nice to me; it was always odd that it didn't seem to catch on.  "Toys to life" is a clever concept from a business standpoint, but I guess the younger side of the gaming audience in general was already tired of it by that point.

...and yeah, this game seemed like the "real" next-gen Starfox finally.

edit--Skul: The Hero Slayer still isn't out yet on console unfortunately...  only thing I can find at the moment is "early 2021" in a search online.

The sad part is all the toys to life content (pilots, ships, weapons) are available to purchase on the eShop/PSN/XBL as well. 

If they had of just not made toys to life apart of it the hame would have sold well enough cause it looked great until those horrible words were muttered. You easily could have done certain pilots, ships, weapons through season passes and no one would care as long as the game and content provided through the passes were good. 

ubisoft definitely shot themselves in the foot. The game came out late October 2018 and the Walmart I was working at was clearancing everything related to it out by the following March. 

Edited by iStu X

ha, funny thing is that at the start of watching that video, I had forgotten about Disney Infinity, and I actually have one of those games.... good thing I got in on that before Disney's silly ass pulled the plug on it, because the figures were actually good designs, imo... I only had a couple of the Star Wars ones that I wanted---Darth Vader (should've got 2 of those) and a Kylo Ren.  I hated that they did not have Emperor Palpatine, at least I don't recall ever seeing one.

with Skylanders, it was also funny to see how they kept pushing Spyro further and further out of the picture until it wasn't really a "Spyro" game at all anymore. 😄  

*yeah, I had the Imaginators one, mainly because you could create your character, and there was a lot of options with that.  Naturally I created a fecal-themed hero.  There's a dude I know that was way overboard with that franchise; he probably had every Skylanders figure ever released, along with dozens of the Imaginator crystals to make his own characters.  It must've been a small fortune he spent on all that....heh, I'd bet he's still a bit frustrated that you can't really find the Switch version of Imaginators anymore.  I don't think you can get it digitally, and it's been well over a year or 2 since I've seen that shit in a store. (*unlike that very strange Starlink sighting I mentioned earlier... still blows my mind that this store had that...maybe someone sold it back?!)

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, MillionX said:

ha, funny thing is that at the start of watching that video, I had forgotten about Disney Infinity, and I actually have one of those games.... good thing I got in on that before Disney's silly ass pulled the plug on it, because the figures were actually good designs, imo... I only had a couple of the Star Wars ones that I wanted---Darth Vader (should've got 2 of those) and a Kylo Ren.  I hated that they did not have Emperor Palpatine, at least I don't recall ever seeing one.

with Skylanders, it was also funny to see how they kept pushing Spyro further and further out of the picture until it wasn't really a "Spyro" game at all anymore. 😄  

*yeah, I had the Imaginators one, mainly because you could create your character, and there was a lot of options with that.  Naturally I created a fecal-themed hero.  There's a dude I know that was way overboard with that franchise; he probably had every Skylanders figure ever released, along with dozens of the Imaginator crystals to make his own characters.  It must've been a small fortune he spent on all that....heh, I'd bet he's still a bit frustrated that you can't really find the Switch version of Imaginators anymore.  I don't think you can get it digitally, and it's been well over a year or 2 since I've seen that shit in a store. (*unlike that very strange Starlink sighting I mentioned earlier... still blows my mind that this store had that...maybe someone sold it back?!)

I have a soft spot for the Disney Infinity figures. One of my favorite artists and all around good dude, Sean “Cheeks” Galloway was the lead character designer for all the figures made for Infinity. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:06 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Brief history of the Sony Check. 

This isn't the first time Sony has been censorship crazy

Sony is dropping the ball with these kind of games which they always supported in the past. I remember Nintendo was the only console manufacturer that didn't get any of  these games which let me to believe they were trying to apply the same level of censorship that now Sony is doing or maybe it was because of the kid image Nintendo has been associate with .

Edited by rukawa_kaede
On 1/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, iStu X said:

The game and its ost is a jam

Based on what Wayforward and ASW have said about being happy with the partnership and the success of the game (refreshing to see a publisher not expecting to sell bonkers numbers of copies for a niche product), i expect a sequel for the game soonish.

BTW, i have not checked if they added the true ending to the PS4.

Me and my brother kind of stopped with the game after the 1st playthrough because there wasnt a point of doing all the side stuff if we would get the normal ending at the end anyway 😕

And speaking of Wayforward.

I started my playthrough of Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Kinda makes me wish that there was an anime about Shantae and a fighting game or at least a guest appearance on an ASW game XD

Was reading a topic on Rock Paper Shotgun about the new Atelier Ryza game. The Atelier series has been around since the 90s, but it got memed the hell out after the lead developer was quoted as working on the thighs of one of the characters. Nothing really gets my attention quicker tbh, than a red background and the words THICC THIGHS EDITION in giant capital letters and script.

Link to article:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/what-the-unlikely-rise-of-atelier-ryza-2-says-about-pc-gaming-in-2021

edit: ngl, but when I saw these thumbnails the article has linked about halfway down; I almost went into @MillionXmode.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah

y'know, I hadn't given this much thought until now that a friend finally bought a Switch... in his case, this was actually a waste of money, and he will probably realize it soon.  I kept telling him that the "portable" factor was the major selling point for me since day 1....and he mentioned "eh, I don't really go anywhere though."  (that's quite a depressing story for another topic, obviously; I'm not quite sure how anyone could be content to go through life like that, imo *NOTE--This was his life BEFORE the pandemic ruined civilization, by the way.) So....yep, he probably shouldn't have bought it then, imo.  I thought about it in a new light there... yeah, if Switch had been just a "regular" console like everything else... I still would've bought it eventually for Bayo 2 and Smash Ultimate..and later Hyrule Warriors, but it wouldn't have been such a top-priority purchase for me.  I also would not have double-dipped on so many ports....and there's no way I'd consider it in the ranking for GOAT status in terms of systems.

This is also reminding me of my concern that Nintendo is going to do their usual thing unfortunately and make the next system something totally different from this greatness we have now...and sometimes, a "different direction" is a bad idea. 😞   All I'd want for Switch 2 is just a more powerful version of the same damn thing...and an improved "Nintendo Online" service...that's really all they need to do and I'm immediately on board.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

y'know, I hadn't given this much thought until now that a friend finally bought a Switch... in his case, this was actually a waste of money, and he will probably realize it soon.  I kept telling him that the "portable" factor was the major selling point for me since day 1....and he mentioned "eh, I don't really go anywhere though."  (that's quite a depressing story for another topic, obviously; I'm not quite sure how anyone could be content to go through life like that, imo *NOTE--This was his life BEFORE the pandemic ruined civilization, by the way.) So....yep, he probably shouldn't have bought it then, imo.  I thought about it in a new light there... yeah, if Switch had been just a "regular" console like everything else... I still would've bought it eventually for Bayo 2 and Smash Ultimate..and later Hyrule Warriors, but it wouldn't have been such a top-priority purchase for me.  I also would not have double-dipped on so many ports....and there's no way I'd consider it in the ranking for GOAT status in terms of systems.

In terms of portability I enjoy being able to take my switch to other friends houses so seamlessly. I just put my switch in one of their docks and we’re good. 

but in terms of taking it with me to places to play handheld? I’ve never done it really. The system is too wide and the buttons are oddly placed. For me it’s incredibly uncomfortable to hold. But it’s due to the neuropathy in my hand. 

there’s a lot of other little things too but it’s mainly just the comfort thing. Playing it handheld just isn’t comfortable to me. 

I include the "table-top mode" when thinking of the portable factor as well... about 2 weeks ago when at the car place, I played it that way while waiting on the car being serviced... got some nice time in with Borderlands Pre-Sequel there.  Since the left joycon analog kept drifting, that's been the way I played for at least the past year or so.  heh, yeah I actually go so far as to take the pro-controller with me..along with the little cradle for the system to sit. (formerly the WiiU controller cradle)

heh, that is pretty funny if it's around the year 2026 by the time Nintendo's current system has party/voice-chat fully integrated into the service normally like Xbox Live has had since the 360 days. 

oh yeah---I got into some Borderlands 3 tonight for a little while... currently using a brown, shit-looking skin for the FL4K character and I get a cheap laugh out of it every time...looks like that big jacket he has on is actually made of shit...or like he found a large pool of shit and just rolled around in there for a while.... I have the Marcus bobble-head mask for the head option..and that looks shitty too.  Anyway, I'm glad they just straight up copied the Doppelganger action skill over to Zane in part 3... it's one of my favorite action skills in the series... Doppelganger Jack still has the better version though since he gets 2 clones + that 1 skill-change ability that makes it so 1 of the clones will spawn as a "Badass" version.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

This dudes a fucking clown. He clearly grew up where there wasn’t an active scene. Also without people like Chen, the Wolfe Brothers, Valle, Cho, Hart there wouldn’t be an fgc. 

dude needs to put some respect on their names. 

they’re not saying SFV is a bad game because they sucked at it or because they got “blown up”. They’re saying SFV is a bad game because it’s a fucking bad game. 

so was every edition of 4 past vanilla. 

Edited by iStu X
25 minutes ago, iStu X said:

This dudes a fucking clown. He clearly grew up where there wasn’t an active scene. 

I mean, yeah, that's his point. That's probably the arcade expirience for most dudes that wanted to play fighting games back then. I mean shit man I've lived all over the country as a kid and went to every arcade I could find, and you were lucky to even see a cab with a game you actually played, let alone having good competition in the same room. 

Arcades are not an ideal learning environment for fighting games anymore. I find it insane that even needs to be said to some of these people. I think we all agree that Arcades had a very specific charm to them, but it is certainly romanticized now by boomers, and that's really his whole point. 

Also without people like Chen, the Wolfe Brothers, Valle, Cho, Hart there wouldn’t be an fgc. 

I didn't hear him say otherwise..... In fact he literally said those players built the foundation for the entire FGC. 

dude needs to put some respect on their names. 

He does tho. It's how he starts the video. Just because you respect someone doesn't mean they're free of criticism. Dudes like Valle have been making cringe boomer logic tweets for awhile now. I mean dude literally thinks we don't have strong players nowadays because of the lack of an arcade environment. Which is just such a ridiculous thing to say when you see all the strong players in new games that have popped up even in just the last 10 years. 

28 minutes ago, iStu X said:

they’re not saying SFV is a bad game because they sucked at it or because they got “blown up”. They’re saying SFV is a bad game because it’s a fucking bad game. 

I'm not really sure how to approach this bit because that's not really part of the discussion at all. In fact Valle regularly hosts and promotes SFV stuff so I might just need some elaboration on why you're bringing this up. 

16 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

In fact Valle regularly hosts and promotes SFV stuff so I might just need some elaboration on why you're bringing this up. 

Because it makes him money. It’s the reason why so many top players play current fighters now too. Not because they’re good games but because of the payout. 

For example All of mvc3’s tournament life Justin constantly shit on it. 

the dude just sounds like another person from the outside looking in. 

Edited by iStu X
56 minutes ago, iStu X said:

So was every edition of 4 past vanilla. 

Gonna disagree there, Super was a good improvement over vanilla. 

After that everything went downhill. 

Also, i assume you dont really know much about Jyuna, lol. 

Je says shit in part in jest and in part in a serious fashion. 

Not everthing he said had merit, but in other things he has valud points imo. 

A lot of the fg "heads" keep perpetuating a lot of dumb shit and creating some misconceptions about newer games with their rose tinted glasses takes about newer fgs imo.

What i get from his vid is that people should put more weight on their own opinion instead of what the old heads say, there is a reason why he included himself as one of the boomers. 

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Also, i assume you dont really know much about Jyuna, lol.

I don’t. I have no idea who he is. I don’t really follow the fgc anymore because I don’t like what the games or the scene have become. 

I also don’t use twitch or really use YouTube to watch gaming content outside of trailers and music. 

shit like that just doesn’t interest me. 
The idea of watching someone doing a live stream sounds absolutely fucking boring. Same with let’s plays 

Edited by iStu X

He is one of the old heads for GG. 

He actually has ties to ASW, Zinac and ElvenShadow. 

Like i said, i think you misunderstood his video. 

He is not disrespecting them. 

But is pointing out the dumb shit the old heads have been saying those last couple of months. 

Where they keep saying some really dumb shit that is eye rool inducing. 

They sound more boomer than a friend of mine who is 75 and has a very open minded approach to life who i worked on my first job 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

He is one of the old heads for GG. 

He actually has ties to ASW, Zinac and ElvenShadow. 

Like i said, i think you misunderstood his video. 

He is not disrespecting them. 

But is pointing out the dumb shit the old heads have been saying those last couple of months. 

Where they keep saying some really dumb shit that is eye rool inducing. 

They sound more boomer than a friend of mine who is 75 and has a very open minded approach to life who i worked on my first job 😂😂😂

Ok. 

Nintendo also listed their top selling first party titles 

* Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 33.41 million

* Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 31.18 million

* Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 22.85 million

* The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 21.45 million

* Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 20.35 million

* Super Mario Odyssey – 20.23 million

* Super Mario Party – 13.82 million

* Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon:

* Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.00 million

* Splatoon 2 – 11.90 million

* New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 9.82 million

ACNH is catching up but I seriously doubt it’ll surpass MK8D. Well, honestly, it depends on how bad Covid continues to get in the states and Europe. 

Edited by iStu X
Edited out other games due to misreading the translation
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

XV is flawed in various ways but I still really.liked the game over all in the end

Word. I can already see some seams, but overall, it's been incredibly charming. Battles are weird, but engaging (mostly) and I'm crazy about the setting. 

Side quests looks like they'll lose steam pretty quick, and you can tell real fast who's a "mainline" character and a "side quest" character. 

The boys are all likeable, but not flat boring characters, and I actually enjoy some of the lighter downtime parts. 

Pretty excited to play through it all. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Word. I can already see some seams, but overall, it's been incredibly charming. Battles are weird, but engaging (mostly) and I'm crazy about the setting. 

Side quests looks like they'll lose steam pretty quick, and you can tell real fast who's a "mainline" character and a "side quest" character. 

The boys are all likeable, but not flat boring characters, and I actually enjoy some of the lighter downtime parts. 

Pretty excited to play through it all. 

The chemistry between all those characters is a big reason the game works. They act like real friends instead of RPG characters. 

I had a great time just existing in that universe. The opening number sets such a charming tone for the whole game, and the entire world does a fantastic job of prodding your curiosity and daring you to lose yourself exploring it. The dungeons, the towns, the open roads and the grassy fields... The tranquil lakes, the hidden bosses, even something as simple as the shift from day to night changes the world in big ways. I loved exploring every nook and cranny in that game. 

One of the few titles I've ever platinumed. It's really one of those games I wish I could forget about just to go through for the first time again, despite the various issues it had. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
22 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

The chemistry between all those characters is a big reason the game works. They act like real friends instead of RPG characters. 

Yeah, and I think Noctis is one of my favorite FF protags despite himself. He brooding and all that, but his homies keep him in check. They don't let the angst overflow and they don't tiptoe around him even though he's royalty. 

I was fishing last night and my tension meter got into the red, and Ignis, without any sugar coating yells:

"TURN THE ROD TOWARDS THE FISH OR YOU'LL BREAK THE LINE!" I legit thought he was going to throw a "YOU FUCKING IDIOT" onto the end🤣

30 minutes ago, Lantis said:

RIP Stadia....who knew??

That’s not what the report says. Stadia is still being supported. They’re just closing all the internal Dev studios they created for Stadia exclusive content. They’re still going to attempt to partner with gaming developers and studios to bring games to the device. 

it is a not if but when situation though. I don’t see it lasting the end of the year 

Edited by iStu X

So Nintendo is finally replacing their online server system they’ve been using for almost 2 decades. 

The soon to be retired NEX sever will be replace by the new NPLN sever. The first game to be given to honor of running NPLN is Monster Hunter Rise. Which the demo’s online multiplayer is currently running on. 

Oh, fun fact, someone who deep dive data mined Splatoon 2 mentioned that it checks for window XP anytime it  connects online. 

So we finally know why Nintendo’s online is fucking abysmal. 

Edited by iStu X

I wish I liked ARPG’s more. I tried Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen on my Switch today as I was looking for something new to play after beating Pokémon Shield and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

I just couldn’t get into it. I can tell there’s a really good game there but I just absolutely could not get invested. 

Thankfully I only paid $15 for it when it was on sale 1-2 years ago and it’s one less game to take off my Mt. Everest of backlog. But still, I wish I could get into it 

Edited by iStu X