Stage Select

The E3 Thread!: Hype, surprises, empty promises and disappointment galore!

16 minutes ago, GreyFoxx said:

Metroid Dread

*Rubs hands in anticipation*

7 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Dread is Metroid Gear Solid.

Not every game with a stealth mechanic or segment is Metal Gear. 

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Dread is a dream come true for me.  Was really hoping for a 2D Metroid on Switch, and Nintendo fucking delivered.

So fucking hype.

Amen

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Yeah they mentioned that the game will go over the story that came before to get people caught up and Fusion was in that.

Ah. I musta missed that part. 

im confused on MP Superstars. Are the boards just from the OG Mario Party and mini-games are the “best” from across the series? Or is there a variety of boards from across the series as well?

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Ah. I musta missed that part. 

im confused on MP Superstars. Are the boards just from the OG Mario Party and mini-games are the “best” from across the series? Or is there a variety of boards from across the series as well?

They are from the N64 games.  So 1, 2 and 3.  Over 100 of them have been remade for this game but they only redid 5 boards...far as we know anyway.

6 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Smashers already complaining about Kazuya in smash. Legit saying “we don’t want fighting game characters in our games. Their controls are too hard. It’s not fair” and shit like that. 

I don’t know what they’re talking about.
f,N,d~d/f+2 Is easy! If you can’t even EWGF why are you even playing? 

fucking scrubs. 

Then...don't play the fucking character?  I'm fucking confused.  Smash has 80 fucking characters in it and you're complaining that 1 out of that 80 is hard?  Get fucked.

Man.... I'm usually not the kinda guy to be all doom and gloom but this E3 was seriously bad. It doesn't help at all that Sony have moved away from the event, and EA delayed their big showcase by a whole month. Microsoft and Nintendo pretty much carried the whole thing

Although I do want to admit that Day of the Devs, IGN Expo, Guerilla Collective, Wholesome Direct and Future Games Showcase had a crapton of interesting indies. Unfortunately however the industry can't be sustained by indies alone, and the AAA showcases were piss poor

Capcom, TakeTwo, Gearbox, Bandai, Square - why even do their own pressers at all? Nothing they showed couldn't have been included into other presentations with multiplatform titles. Hell, TakeTwo's wasn't even about fucking games in the first place. Gearbox boiled down to the Homeworld 3 reveal and some cringy chatter with Pitchford about the Borderlands movie

Also as per usual Devolver are the true MVPs who lowkey shit on the games industry by the virtue of ridicule of its most recent trends

oh and of course the guys over at Limited Run - NOBODY expected Plumbers Don't Wear Ties to get a release lmao

I understand this is mostly result of corona fucking things up for everybody last year, but man... the 2021 iteration of e3 still was a massive downgrade compared to the previous events. I guess I can at least thank the ESA for getting the band together so to speak, cuz imagine how shitty these showcases would've been if they were just solo events

3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t know if they showed this during the tree house. I was busy doing something during Dreads treehouse 

They did..and someone already beat you to it earlier before my post.  They showed it right after the direct.

Edit:

Monster Hunter Stories 2's combat looks pretty flashy.  I'd probably buy it if my backlog wasn't towering over me.

Edited by Sonichuman
46 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Smashers already complaining about Kazuya in smash. Legit saying “we don’t want fighting game characters in our games. Their controls are too hard. It’s not fair” and shit like that. 

I don’t know what they’re talking about.
f,N,d~d/f+2 Is easy! 

fucking scrubs. 

Now this makes me want to play Smash to style on these fuckers with EWGF combos!! 

😄

7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You seem to be completely  missing my point. Of course a game like Ratchet could be made for PCs. It wouldn't be because how many PC gamers have a PCI-E Gen 4 SSD? It's why mentioned Cyberpun 2077's SSD situation. Ratchet was made because Isomniac knew every PS5 had SSD capable of running the game.  Ratchet isn't cross gen, instead of getting more experience like Ratchet we are stuck with hamstrung last gen games running at higher resolutions. If I want to run a last gen game at higher resolutions, I'll get the PC version.  I went on big diatribe about how PC has technology that doesn't get taken advantage of because PC developers have to account for people with lower spec hardware. The whole appeal of consoles for me is that you get developers, like Insomniac, that maximize the hardware in ways that frankly is never done on PC. That really ever happen on the Xbox platform and with Sony's cross gen strategy you'll have to wait until God of War 3 and Horizon 3 to see game developed from the ground up for PS5 and by the time those games release the PS6 will be around corner.

I'm not missing your point.

When Crysis was developed there wasn't any console that could run it.  Games that push hardware boundaries exist and have been developed on PC first.  Microsoft Flight Simulator pushes many PCs to their limits and is only getting a Series X release later this year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the Series X release is somehow gimped compared to the PC version.

During the 3D accelerator wars games were created specifically for hardware that only a small subset of people had, and at a time when standards were changing constantly.   They didn't wait to develop Quake II because they were hoping it would run on a Playstation.  Physx cards are another example.  Basically nobody bought standalone Physx cards, and even when the tech got rolled into Geforce cards it was still a high-end feature for a while -- and yet games still made use of it.  Myst pushed people to buy CD-ROM drives.  They didn't wait for everyone to own a CD-ROM drive before starting development.

There have been multiple instances of technology that only a few people have being used to push forward software as a whole.  The industry does NOT always wait for the latest console to get something before pushing things forward.  PC hardware absolutely does get taken advantage of, and software that demands high-spec parts DOES exist.

Most next-gen games will be pretty similar to what already exists, just with better graphics and load times.  When cross-gen games get phased out there will be some outliers like Ratchet, but overall you're not going to see a sudden wave of innovation -- things will largely be the same.

Also - why are we talking about cross-gen again?  The whole point of this convo was that you said you disliked Microsoft's approach and I wanted to know why. Microsoft's approach is just GamePass.  GamePass doesn't have anything to do with hardware.  Cross-gen is a thing that exists but will soon go away as soon as more console sales happen, and isn't unique to MS.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Smash people...I need you guys to be atleast aware of other games...that's all I ask.

You better off asking the water to flow back up stream. 
While they are at it, they need to take a shower too. 

24 minutes ago, Volt said:

Nintendo dropped so much fire it saved E3

I would not be too hasty there.