Stage Select

The E3 Thread!: Hype, surprises, empty promises and disappointment galore!

hahaha I was just coming in here to post that....it's hilarious

check out that like/dislike ratio 🤣

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

hahahaha this dude speaking right now looks kinda like Baron Greenback from the Dangermouse cartoon...not as fat, but his face reminds me of that character

Edited by MillionX

I'm all for inclusion but...this isn't really the right place to get on the soapbox.   They could have I da know...had this panel at GDC and it would have made more sense.  People who are watching E3 are here for games so this message is mostly falling on deaf ears. (put mostly cause I'm sure there's a small group that's listening....maybe...)

Edited by Sonichuman
31 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

A moment of silence for the losers' harem of waifus  as they shall go unintended!!

Spoiler

Well unless its mainline BoTW Link, then he has Spirit Urbosa and Mipha!!
🤣

Edited by CDB2k20

Mythical games is on now...Don't know what to expect from this either.

Apparently they're coming out with some sort of NFT game thing using figurines and it's on PC....yeah...I'm good on this...

So the only thing note worthy today is more than likely just Capcom's stream.  I'm realizing that a big part of E3 that's missing this year is the hands on impressions and streams from the various outlets.  Used to be always something on and new while waiting but everything is tuning in to the same stream for the most part.    This is still better than whatever we got last year but I'm hoping next year that E3 is back to 100%.

Edited by Sonichuman

Switch Pro (New Nintendo Switch) rumors are killing me right now.   We are now on the capitalized "N" controversy on Gamestop's weekly ad.  So...on Gamestop's weekly ad that got leaked you can trade in towards systems for extra credit and normally when you're buying just a new system from them the "n" in new is not capitalized but apparently the "N" in the New Nintendo Switch on their ad is.  Previous evidence with this is how they handled the New Nintendo 3DS.

RGT talks about it at the beginning of this vid

Also Indie showcase is on right now.  Probably won't say much unless something grabs me.   aaand speaking of grabbing me this game that's on that's like a detective noir story called Fallen Aces actually looks interesting.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is wild to me...

Especially that FF1 sprite. That PS1 sprite is great, the new one looks super flat in comparison. 

All of them look really flat compared to the originals... 

Wait a sec...there's a limited run stream going on right now?

I'm over here watching this lame ass venn origin stuff on the normal stream...let me find this.

I don't understand why they didn't have this in the schedule.

Castlevania Requiem is getting a physical release for PS4.

Really wish they were streaming this on youtube themselves so I wouldn't have to watch this through someone else's stream.

Contra Anniversary Collection getting a physical release as well.

Edited by Sonichuman

That River City Girls Zero thing is really dumb.

That original SNES game isn't really about the girls and is part of the larger Kunio series.  To rebrand it as River City Girls Zero is really weird tbh.  River City Girls itself doesn't even line up with the canon of the Kunio series to begin with.

Seems like the bad 90s type of localization, where rather than just translate something they try to remake it into something else entirely. =/

38 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Wait a sec...there's a limited run stream going on right now?

Praise the sun!

Firstly, dose abs! I'm sure she's RCG version of Marian. This ends up being the girlfriends of the Dragon Dragon duo I'm down for it. 

RCG Zero is just a port of the SNES Kunio game. That's  disingenuous.

Edited by Hawkingbird

Zombies ate my neighbors and Ghoul Patrol are getting physical releases for switch

Superhot getting a physical release for the Switch

Double Dragon and Kunio Kun retro brawler bundle collection coming for PS4 and Switch, apparently it's available for digital now.

Limited Run games streams are so purposefully awkward but it's still funny.

There's this doomclone game called Strife that's coming Soon.

Trailer for Haven that's available now on PS5, releasing on PS4 later.  looked interesting.  Hopefully they put up trailers for this stuff later.

Skatebird trailer will be getting a physical release.

Huntdown looks cool getting a fullblown collector's edition release for Switch.

Axiom Verge 2 trailer, coming to pc through epic games

Physical edition of The Takeover beatem up game.  Did not know that Takahata voices one of the characters in this game lol.  Coming to Switch and PC

Trailer for another old school doomclone ish game called Dusk.  Pretty sure this was shown before.  Available now.

Republique Trailer.  stealth based game, not date

LOL @ this conference taking a dig at M$ conferences with the cars lol

Going Under Internships are Heck, Available now

Game that seems to take cues from Megaman Starforce, One Step From Eden.  Available Now on Switch.

RWBY Grimm Apocalypse Trailer, available for Switch

Retro Mania Wrestling Trailer,  Can play up to 8 people couch co-op,

And apparently they're releasing Rondo Of Blood in it's original format?  said Turbo grafx CD

Plumbers don't wear ties is getting rereleased.

everything else I already mentioned.

I'll be updating this post for the stream

Ok starting out talking about RE8, talking about Verse.  Verse will go live next month.  And they just announced that they just started making DLC for RE8, more info later.

Moving on to Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin.  Moving on to a trailer with a girl crying and someone saying 'this was his fate'  Soooo....sounds like someone died.  Girl gives a dude Red's kenship stone and a Razewing Ratha egg.  Pits appearing everywhere, strange lights, now showing more of the combat, Can break things off the monsters...don't know if that was a feature in the first game or not.  Some of the attacks are pretty over the top Narcaguga is doing fast ninja shit and one of the monsters just fired off a Nuke.  Riders and Monsties have the power of kinship "I BELIEVE IN THE STRENGTH OF HUMANITY!" 

now showing the free title updates for the game.  07/15 you can get a palaumte,  traial version coming on the 6/25th and your progress will xfer to the full game. 

Moving on to MH Rise now.  Showing what scoming June and July. Collaborations with Stories 2.  Get costumes and a Palico from Ruins.   Event quests  coming along with rewards and paid dlc.   3.1 update coming June 24th

Moving on to Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.  Showing a story trailer for the game.  Team up with Herlock Sholmes.  Use deduction at the scene of the crime and build your case.  battle the prosecution at the trailer just like the previous games.  coming 7/25

showing some gameplay for the game and they warned about spoilers.  Dance of Deduction and Summation Examination.  Dance of Deduction is just the way it sounds.  Herlock will give his take on event that transpired at the scene and you'll have to point out flaws in Herlocks logic.   As you disprove some of this his deduction Herlock will then change his deductions and then you will go back and forth him.

Summation of Examination is essentially just the name for the trial.  6 jurors will need to be swayed over to your side by picking out the problems in their logic.  Provide evidence to point out the contradictions and get them on their side.

And we're closing out with Capcom esports...sooo..this is going to be disappointing then.  Vicious and RobTV now showing up on the  stage...Are we really not about to get like anything on Oro or anything in this stream?  They're just talking about the Capcom Pro Tour 2021.  32 events 19 territories.  Talking about Street Fighter League......zzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzzzz....

......and they're wrapping up....yyyup...not even getting Oro.  Oh man...I kept my expectations pretty reasonable and didn't even reach that.  Wow....Closing the show with SF esports....wow wow wow...

WELP....GUESS NOTHING LEFT TO DO BUT LOOK FORWARD TO NINTY TOMORROW.

Edited by Sonichuman
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If Nintendo doesn't announce some cool shit this E3 will be a total waste.

They will announce some stuff but I say everyone should temper their expectations this is post Iwata Nintendo, if it don't make them money they won't do it. 

But they also don't go for major risks either.

Edited by Wellman
4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Pray Nintendo salvages this absolutely fucking disastrous E3 tomorrow. 

I’m not going in expecting anything but I’m hoping for at least something that gets the hype train out of the station. Cause this is one of the worst E3’s ever 

Microsoft's conference was actually good despite me not caring about most of it...just looking at it objectively.    Probably one of their best conferences they've done in awhile.  Everything else has been pretty underwhelming aside from Digital Devolver still being godlike and the nice surprises with Limited Run.  I'm going to keep my expectations low for Ninty tomorrow but I'm hoping that they at least match M$ in the 40 min they have.  Only thing I truly want right now is BotW2 update and everything else is gravy.  If get Metroid? GREAT...not gonna expect it.  If I get Bayo 3?  AMAZING...not getting my hopes up though.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Microsoft's conference was actually good despite me not caring about most of it...just looking at it objectively.    Probably one of their best conferences they've done in awhile.  Everything else has been pretty underwhelming aside from Digital Devolver still being godlike and the nice surprises with Limited Run.  I'm going to keep my expectations low for Ninty tomorrow but I'm hoping that they at least match M$ in the 40 min they have.  Only thing I truly want right now is BotW2 update and everything else is gravy.  If get Metroid? GREAT...not gonna expect it.  If I get Bayo 3?  AMAZING...not getting my hopes up though.

Microsoft's conference was okay. The best one thus far. It's with their current strategy, it's hard for them to get me hype. They are trying to sell Gamepass not Xboxes and that doesn't work for me personally.

12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Microsoft's conference was okay. The best one thus far. It's with their current strategy, it's hard for them to get me hype. They are trying to sell Gamepass not Xboxes and that doesn't work for me personally.

I don't like their strategy either but it's working for them then *shrugs*  If they want to make it so I don't have to even touch an xbox from them and they're fine with me just buying their games on PC or other platforms then whatever.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

58 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I don't like their strategy either but it's working for them then *shrugs*  If they want to make it so I don't have to even touch an xbox from them and they're fine with me just buying their games on PC or other platforms then whatever.

I don't really get this mindset though.

They showed a ton of games which you can buy separately or get through Game Pass.  Not sure what the downside is?

It's kinda like saying you can't get hype about movie releases because Netflix has a subscription service.

I think GamePass is a great value but it's not like the other option to buy games separately went away.

3 minutes ago, misterBee said:

They showed a ton of games which you can buy separately or get through Game Pass.  Not sure what the downside is?

It's kinda like saying you can't get hype about movie releases because Netflix has a subscription service.

I think GamePass is a great value but it's not like the other option to buy games separately went away.

It's not a downside for me.  I have a pretty powerful PC so like I said if Microsoft has given up on really trying to move xbox's and are fine with me just buying the little games that they have that I do care about on PC then that's whatever.  Gamepass is great...for those who aren't looking to own their games.  I don't deny that's it's an increasingly greater value expecially with them putting new games on it day 1 and with games going up to $70 a pop.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Basically the Xbox is pointless to me. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D on  hardware they won't truly take advantage of. The whole appeal of console hardware for me is that 1st party developers know what hardware everyone has which allows them to truly push it. I've had SSDs on my PCs for years and Cyberpunk 2077 is the first game I've gotten on PC that essentially requires an SSD.  Ratchet & Clank is the first game I can recall that actually leverages the increased SSD speeds to produce a game that can't be done on a mechanical drive. Instead of purely for faster load times. Often the "innovative" technology of  console isn't new, it's just standardized so the developers actually make use of it. I have nothing against Gamepass but it doesn't appeal to me. I have more games than I can play already. I could literally not buy a game for the next 12 months and still have a back log.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Basically the Xbox is pointless to me. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D on a hardware they won't truly take advantage of. The whole appeal of console hardware for me is that 1st party developers know what hardware everyone has which allows them to truly push it. I've had SSDs on my PCs for years and Cyberpunk 2077 is the first game I've gotten on PC that essentially requires an SSD.  Ratchet & Clank is the first game I can recall that actually leverages the increased SSD speeds to produce a game that can't be done on a mechanical drive. Instead of purely for faster load times. Often the "innovative" technology of  console isn't new, it's just standardized so the developers actually make use of it. I have nothing against Gamepass but it doesn't appeal to me. I have more games than I can play already. I could literally not buy a game for the next 12 months and still have a back log.

I'm not sure I understand why you think MS isn't taking advantage of the Xbox hardware, or why GamePass is somehow to blame.

Games like Forza Horizon 5 are showing that they are definitely taking advantage of their console hardware, and there's the added bonus that first party games are also coming to PC.  It's basically a win-win for everybody. It's fine if Xbox is irrelevant for you, because it means you can still enjoy their games without having to buy a dedicated box for it.  Isn't that a plus?

If you only have a console, you can play games there.  If you only have  PC you can also play games there.  If you want to buy every game like you always have, you can do that.  If you can only afford a small monthly subscription, you can play most of your games that way instead.

Basically there's an option for everyone on any platform they wish.  It's a very consumer-friendly approach that covers a wide variety of people. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I can't see how this is anything but good.

26 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'm not sure I understand why you think MS isn't taking advantage of the Xbox hardware, or why GamePass is somehow to blame.

Games like Forza Horizon 5 are showing that they are definitely taking advantage of their console hardware, and there's the added bonus that first party games are also coming to PC.  It's basically a win-win for everybody. It's fine if Xbox is irrelevant for you, because it means you can still enjoy their games without having to buy a dedicated box for it.  Isn't that a plus?

If you only have a console, you can play games there.  If you only have  PC you can also play games there.  If you want to buy every game like you always have, you can do that.  If you can only afford a small monthly subscription, you can play most of your games that way instead.

Basically there's an option for everyone on any platform they wish.  It's a very consumer-friendly approach that covers a wide variety of people. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I can't see how this is anything but good.

@misterBeeThey can't take truly advantage of the hardware when they have multiple performance targets. Halo Infinite has to run on Xbox One. That's a boat anchor on what they can truly do on Series hardware. They can't push the Series X to it's limits because they have to consider the Series S. They can't leverage the SSD to it's full potential because they have to take into account the mechanical drives on Xbox One and PC. It's the same reason I'm not a fan of Sony's cross gen bullshit. People can say taking into lower spec hardware doesn't limit the games all they like but it's nonsense. If Xbox Series games is truly leverage the SSD then it's going to have streaming issues on the Xbox One. Ratchet & Clank can rival the 2016 film because they don't have take into account archaic jaguar cores and 5400rpm mechanical drives. If the consoles games aren't optimized for the hardware you just get the downside of the PC experience with the upsides like the modding community.

TLDR: If the "next gen" game has to be able to run on Xbox One with it's slow 5400rpm mechanical drive and woefully inadequate jaguar cores it's not taking advantage of the hardware.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@misterBeeThey can't take truly advantage of the hardware when they have multiple performance targets. Halo Infinite has to run on Xbox One. That's a boat anchor on what they can truly do on Series hardware. They can't push the Series X to it's limits because they have to consider the Series S. They can't leverage the SSD to it's full potential because they have to take into account the mechanical drives on Xbox One and PC. It's the same reason I'm not a fan of Sony's cross gen bullshit. People can say taking into lower spec hardware doesn't limit the games all they like but it's nonsense. If Xbox Series games is truly leverage the SSD then it's going to have streaming issues on the Xbox One. Ratchet & Clank can rival the 2016 film because they don't have take into account archaic jaguar cores and 5400rpm mechanical drives. If the consoles games aren't optimized for the hardware you just get the downside of the PC experience with the upsides like the modding community.

TLDR: If the "next gen" game has to be able to run on Xbox One with it's slow 5400rpm mechanical drive and woefully inadequate jaguar cores it's not taking advantage of the hardware.

As you have yourself mentioned, Sony is also doing cross-gen with PS4/PS5 titles.  Cross-gen games are not unique to Microsoft and will always exist in the period immediately after a new console gen launch.  After a while they will be phased out just like always.  I also don't know why you think that in the future all games are required to also run on Xbox One -- that's simply not the case.  Xbox One is going to be being phased out just like the PS4 is.

Supporting both Xbox Series S/X is also not an issue, since they both have high-speed nvme SSDs, and games can be graphically scaled depending on the hardware they are being played on, just like with PCs.  Nobody has ever said PCs are holding back games, and graphical scaling on PC has been around forever.

Ratchet was developed on PCs.  There's 0 reason you can't run that game on a system with a very fast pci-e gen 4 SSD.  It doesn't cost anything to list a suitably fast SSD as part of a game's minimum system requirements, so the idea that games will be held back because some people own mechanical hard drives is simply not going to be true.  That's like saying game development is being held back because some people are running outdated graphics cards.

The only thing unique about Microsoft's approach is GamePass, which doesn't really have anything to do with performance targets or platforms -- which is why I was confused that you were hating on their strategy of letting more people play more games for less money.

Microsoft isn't doing anything differently from Sony other than also having a really nice subscription service.  That makes them better in my eyes.