Stage Select

To Boldly Go, The Star Trek Thread

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I am paying for Paramount Plus and trying to power my way though Discovery but this first season ain't easy.

Doesn't get easier, at least for me it hasn't and I'm masochistic enough to get thru season 3. Think I'm done with discovery. Just not my kinda show and I love TNG and DS9, guess im just an old man haha

On 5/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, DarkSakul said:

People felt the same way about The Next Generation. 

Now Voyager and Enterprise was garbage shows. 

TNG, like DS9 took a couple seasons to gain their footing. TNG's first season was basically ToS with an new cast and new effects. Hell the original series didn't garner appreciation until it was in reruns. Discovery has been around for few seasons. By now TNG and ToS had gained acceptance. Discovery is just another modern take on a classic property by someone that has no business stewarding the ship. So many of these modern showrunners have no respect for the IPs they handle. They lack the creativity to come with their own IP so they take an older and try to ride it's coattails to success.

I won't stan for Voyager or Enterprise. Voyager was great concept that was horribly executed. It took one of the most imposing antagonist in the franchise and turned them into a joke.

Voyager Writer A: "Shit, we need to boost ratings. Why don't we do write an interesting story to draw fans in?:

Voyager Write B: "How about we bring back the Borg?"

Enterprise has the worst series finale in Trek history. Hell, that's too kind in TV history.  It was damned TNG holodeck episode with one of the most pointless deaths in franchise history. How are you going to conclude a show, any show, by having the last episode not really be an episode for said show.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think the continual "prequel" additions to Star Trek are huge mistake. In addition to having to come with a well written show, there is the added difficulty of taking what has already happened into consideration. You are making a difficult task even harder.  When you start messing with future events, the show is instantly going to alienate part of the fan base. And that's if you write something interesting. If you write something mediocre it's just compounds the negative reaction.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 5/14/2021 at 6:09 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, I rather an IP sit on the shelf than have someone putting out subpar content that tarnishes it's reputation.

In most cases I agree but there's some hope in me that kurtzman will decide to move onto a different project and they give someone else a chance to put their spin on the show, at least someone that is a fan and knows more than the bare minimum of the lore and tone of the older series.

My wife is a big trekkie and I've only experienced the series that she exposes me to and through her own excitement of stuff involving the franchise.  That being said she has made me sit down and watch DS9 with her and some years afterwards Voyager.  I enjoyed the reboot movies I'm aware of the various other shows in the franchise but haven't really watched them.  My wife loves DS9 above all else and she's watched it so much around me these years that I've started impersonating Avery Brooks around her.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Zx-Tole said:

, at least someone that is a fan and knows more than the bare minimum of the lore and tone of the older series.

🤣

Oh Wait you are serious, laughers harder. 

Look the canon lore of Star Trek was absolutely fucked from Season one of the TOS. 
Even that no talent hack Roddenberry can't get the shit right. 

There a long, long list how the writers forgot the lore or even the plot of Trek. 
Klingons, Trills, Romulans Home planet(s),  Kirk's middle name, O'Brien's actual rank (TNG fucked this one alot), Spock's species (it actually changed over the course of the show), Scotty misremembering Kirk (that he died or not) in his TNG appearance. And that just the tip. 

The Lore in Trek is more BS than Dr Who, and at least Dr Who has a self retconning rule, shit breaks lore in Dr Who, oh it must be time travel with a event getting rewritten. 
Trek is so full of inconsistences by the time of Discovery we should stop caring about it it violates old lore or not. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, Wellman said:

I am paying for Paramount Plus and trying to power my way though Discovery but this first season ain't easy.

I stopped like after episode 4.

Tried to watch Picard, but that after 2 episodes i saw it was garbage as well.

Then add the usual fan hating antics of the people involved and i simply don't bother with anything they touch.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, Zx-Tole said:

Wish kurtzman wasn't at the helm for the new generation of trek, but it keeps trek alive in some way.

Issues with Discovery wasn't Kurtzman, time he took over Discovery was filming it's 2nd episode and Picard was too far in development 
Lorca was the only real thing good in Discovery season 1. 

So, whenever someone gets beamed up, the transformer basically just zaps an energy pattern, or blueprint, of the person to the other transporter and then reasembles them at the destination, yeah?

Like, it doesn't send the actual atoms across space, otherwise it would have been impossible to get two Captain Kirks in that one episode. Because that would have been twice as many atoms sent, which is impossible. Instead, it works more like a fax machine. It sends the pattern of the person and reassembles them from different atoms at the destination.

So, does that mean the original person just fucking dies, and then there's an exact copy of them running around after that? And if they keep getting beamed up, are those then just copies of copies of copies?

Star Trek is fucked up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The more time that passes by the more I dislike Abrams Trek. Just little things like them building the Enterprise on Earth just don't add up. Starships are built in space for a reason and its worse because the Abrams'  Enterprise is so much bigger than the original TOS ship.  I have nothing against the cast, they are great. Karl Urban is just one of my favorite actors period.

I know some people will say "what does it matter" but that was Star Trek's thing.  I still remembering marveling at my friends technical manual of the Enterprise D back in the day. I am starting to truly know how Star Wars diehards felt about now. The Star Trek novels, that continued the original timeline, are basically being de-canonized because shows like Picard didn't take them into account. At least they are letting some of the best writers from books tie it off in a three part series. That's more than Star Wars fans got.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Star Trek novels, that continued the original timeline, are basically being de-canonized because shows like Picard didn't take them into account

Novels were never canon, Paramount/CBS made that a rule long ago. They are pretty much licensed to sell/profit Fanfics.
Even the official Novel adaptions of the films aren't canon. 

Also the shows themselves were never good about keeping continuity, even  Roddenberry himself screw up the details quite a few times.
The 2nd pilot episode had Kirk's Middle initial as R (for Robert), but it got later changed to T, and in the films they said the T stood for Tiberious. 
The number of Decks the Enterprise-A had in Star Trek V, Spock having emotions in the TOS pilot The Cage, Uhura losing all here memories tot he point she had to relearn how to read and write, just to be perfectly fine the next episode like nothing happened. 

The very last episode they filmed for the TOS was stricken from canon as its now considered Sexist as in that episode they state Female officers can't become captains.

TNG made a number of canon errors though out their 7 year run. 

Picard and Discovery chaining up canon is very much Trek tradition 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as I understand it. If lore and this stuff is all canon then the original Next Generation timeline should have not happened. In other words, Q screwed up the timeline by making a Flashpoint; a Qpoint, by introducing the Borg too soon in the Next Generation? Supposedly the Federation was not supposed to encounter the Borg until later in the future. What we see now is the real timeline in Picard if Q had not interfered and introduced the Borg too early. Hope we Sisko and Janeway in this. Epic! Picard giving some Shao Kahn vibes with the federation/confederation conquers and never be the conquered (MK11 lore reference)!

26 minutes ago, Jion_Wansu said:

As far as I understand it. If lore and this stuff is all canon then the original Next Generation timeline should have not happened. In other words, Q screwed up the timeline by making a Flashpoint; a Qpoint, by introducing the Borg too soon in the Next Generation? Supposedly the Federation was not supposed to encounter the Borg until later in the future. What we see now is the real timeline in Picard if Q had not interfered and introduced the Borg too early. Hope we Sisko and Janeway in this. Epic! Picard giving some Shao Kahn vibes with the federation/confederation conquers and never be the conquered (MK11 lore reference)!

WAIT...WHAT THE FUCK LMFAOOOOOOOO