Stage Select

The NRS Thread

22 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I took the time and tried out all the different abilities for Kano...and the preset variations are pretty much the best for me anyway.  🙃

It seems like my game plan has pretty much not changed.

I'm considering a troll build with the molotov cocktail and the eye laser. That should be quite annoying against characters with no teleport.

30 minutes ago, Volta said:

I'm considering a troll build with the molotov cocktail and the eye laser. That should be quite annoying against characters with no teleport.

I was a bit bummed out by his DoT abilities.  They don't seem to hurt that much -- I would much rather go for a command grab mix up instead of building slow flame/poison damage.

19 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I was a bit bummed out by his DoT abilities.  They don't seem to hurt that much -- I would much rather go for a command grab mix up instead of building slow flame/poison damage.

The molotov cocktail does 120 damage if they, for some reason, linger in the fire. I don't think that's too bad for an unblockable, considering it also gives you nice screen control. But yeah, Kano could've used some buffs, and the command grab is mandatory for me.

It is incredibly wack that you have to do the three-match online tutorial if you’ve already played online. Is is very much geared towards kombat league, but you also have to do this before playing friends, so keep this in mind if you’re trying to hop on against someone.

speaking of which, I should be down for matches tomorrow night/weekend if anyone’s around.

also, i gotta say, labbing Mileena has been the most fun I've had since launch. The custom variations help, but she has everything i could ask for. First time I’ve felt like I’ve played a complete character in this game, and her mixups are dirty af

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

I'll have to remember to knock out my Scorp-bot fights then. Would have been a pain in the ass of a surprise.

Yeah, I was just going to wait till the next KL season to do them but went to the online section to see when that would be and it blocked out everything until I did that training.

you fight three Sxorpions which is hilarious though. I was somewhat hoping they’d add in random teabag mashing but they didn’t go quite that far.

I'm pretty sure GBVS also had a 3 game thing before you could generally go online, though I think their games were against actual people. I never even did that so if they magicked rollback or something into that game tomorrow I'd still have lag time on getting online. 🙂

Seems like a thing now, which I can kinda get. Try to curate that very first online experience (or semi-simulate it in MK11) to lessen the odds of someone's first game being a complete shitshow. Of course once you get out of the kiddie pool you get to deal with D4rkL0rd420 and his full screen teleport punches followed by teabagging and RQ'ing if you get ahead.

The SFV experience should just be 3 matches against CPU that error out right before you are about to win.

The more I play this game, the more some of the design choices get on my nerves. What is the point of the stance switch button when it serves absolutely no purpose? If it were just a harmless gimmick, fine.

BUT WHY IS IT THE ONLY GODDAMN BUTTON IN THE GAME TO OVERRIDE THE BLOCK COMMAND!?

Sometimes I'll time the wakeup roll slightly too late (btw thanks NRS for messing with the wakeup frames) while holding block in case I mistime it, and I'll get the switch stance on wakeup and get combo'd into oblivion. Why is the timing for a simple backroll so strict anyway in a game where even a Smasher can pull off a 400 damage dial-a-combo?

As much as i love Mileena (and i really do) it irks me that i’m not playing Sub. He’s been my main in every game since MK1.

I really didn’t like his tournament variations though, and thought his combos were really boring, which was a huge change from his MKX Cryomancer variation.

Anyways, I’m going to play around with Rising Ice a bit and see if I can have fun playing him again.

Edited by Mattatsu
5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

As much as i love Mileena (and i really do) it irks me that i’m not playing Sub. He’s been my main in every game since MK1.

I really didn’t like his tournament variations though, and thought his combos were really boring, which was a huge change from his MKX Cryomancer variation.

Anyways, I’m going to play around with Rising Ice a bit and see if I can have fun playing him again.

With Geras I can't decide which move to use in my kustom variation, as he's got such a plethora of great moves. With Sub, his only good move (except Polar Axe) is banned.

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Play my Kano and I'll show you what fun is. 🙃

22 minutes ago, Volta said:

With Geras I can't decide which move to use in my kustom variation, as he's got such a plethora of great moves. With Sub, his only good move (except Polar Axe) is banned.

Yeah, i was expecting his ground freeze to be nerfed but not banned. Its a shame. I was really looking forward to equipping it and getting closer to an MK2 Sub (which would have made me care less about big combos). Oh well.

39 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, i was expecting his ground freeze to be nerfed but not banned. Its a shame. I was really looking forward to equipping it and getting closer to an MK2 Sub (which would have made me care less about big combos). Oh well.

Is Ground Ice his ghetto Ice Clone move?

I saw a video of super damaging Rising Ice combos and they are hard af, but honestly i like that. He has a lot of options off of it (which I love) and even some combos (super situational) where he’s doing over 50%!

will take some time to get these under my fingers though, but I finally like his kit, which is great.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I saw a video of super damaging Rising Ice combos and they are hard af, but honestly i like that. He has a lot of options off of it (which I love) and even some combos (super situational) where he’s doing over 50%!

will take some time to get these under my fingers though, but I finally like his kit, which is great.

The timing on that stupid punch during Rising Ice makes me want to pull my hair out. I can get it about one in five tries. 

30 minutes ago, Volta said:

The timing on that stupid punch during Rising Ice makes me want to pull my hair out. I can get it about one in five tries. 

I hear you.

one thing that messes me up about the rising ice itself, is depending on the string/move you cancel from, it varies when you press the amplify button after doing the special input, so you can’t use the button taps to get a rhythm for the mid-air 2. I’m trying to figure out when you have to press the button and it seems like it’s right before the peak of the jump, but still trying to figure that out.

there are less damaging options though, that are apparently easier (like dash 2, or B321 xx slide x depending in the combo), but I’m trying to get that mid-air 2 solidified

32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I hear you.

one thing that messes me up about the rising ice itself, is depending on the string/move you cancel from, it varies when you press the amplify button after doing the special input, so you can’t use the button taps to get a rhythm for the mid-air 2. I’m trying to figure out when you have to press the button and it seems like it’s right before the peak of the jump, but still trying to figure that out.

there are less damaging options though, that are apparently easier (like dash 2, or B321 xx slide x depending in the combo), but I’m trying to get that mid-air 2 solidified

What annoys me is that if you press it a millisecond too early it won't come out. 

I get about 300 with one bar after B3, 2, Rising Ice amp (no mid-air punch), B2 xx Ice Ball, Jump 2, B1, 4, 3 xx slide. You can amplify the slide for another 30 damage. Pretty puny damage for two bars, actually.

36 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Also, i’m shocked they haven't fixed the issue with sub using his default axe during fatal blow and fatality animations yet. It’s been like that since launch and i’m pretty aure he’s the only character with this issue.

Huh, I've seen them hundreds of times and I never noticed that.

7 hours ago, Volta said:

Huh, I've seen them hundreds of times and I never noticed that.

Yeah, i saw someone mention it back at launch and it always bugged me - so much so that i used his default axe at the time so it would be consistent.

when making my custom loadout yesterday, i equipped a different axe, figuring it’s been corrected by now, but nope.

Yeah I sometimes get overwhelmed with chars like that too. I find it helps a lot to break it down to a binary, maybe trinary mix up that seems strong and just get used to that. Like building any other set of skills it can help to "chunk" it and learn it piecemeal. 

Also, general question: I have zero clue about the meta of this game but when watching Rooflemonger's "winners + loser" vid for Ultimate recently he mentioned that Robocop's big goofy metal ass is hanging out at the bottom of the barrel. What puts him in the basement? Not contentious just curious.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah I sometimes get overwhelmed with chars like that too. I find it helps a lot to break it down to a binary, maybe trinary mix up that seems strong and just get used to that. Like building any other set of skills it can help to "chunk" it and learn it piecemeal. 

Yeah. I’ve been doing this with most of the characters I’ve learned in the last year or so in any game...

I didn’t really do this with Mileena though because she has so many mix options that it was hard to take them out of my mind and not think of them while I was in combos... in hindsight, it would have been best to work on one string at a time (with its varying mixes) than allowing for multiple strings but limiting my routes.

tbh though, I think I’m pretty happy in my swap to sub. I like him better as a character and am just happy being able to have fun with him again... he’s been my main for basically 25 years across various games lol, so this feels right. Also, he has some great mixes too (that are probably even stronger, and are easier for me to handle).

also, regarding Robocop, I have no clue. His zoning variation always messed my Fan-Fare Kitana up really hard. It always surprises me when I see him at the bottom of the list.

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

you're usually a more measured player. Or at least you pretend to be. 😉

That’s very true lol, you know me well... But i guess picking Sagat and constantly trying to land j.HKs is a dead give-away 🤣

3S Ken did a great job of teaching  me exactly what i want from a character. He’s fairly balanced in all areas, but has some great whiff punishes, mix-ups, and practically safe ways to get in from full screen with just a little bit of meter. He can rush you down and mix you up, or play patiently (or safe) in neutral while still being strong.

i constantly go through different emotions in a match, from being over-confident to scared shitless. I need a character that allows me to be both...

Mileena does have some great mixups, but she also has great zoning, and counter-zoning options. She has has godlike dashes and F1 is a goat whiff-punisher (if they're standing as its a high). She actually has everything i like in a character and does it very well, but i’ve been side-eyeing Sub the whole time, who really plays well in all of these areas too, but just a little less savage, but maybe better (and steady) in neutral.

I cant wait for these skins. According to leaks, they’re suppose to come with new voiceovers by these actors too. It’ll be awesome.

on a side note, NRS is really putting all of their MK eggs into this basket. I’m curious if this is going to be the last MK for a while.

Edited by Mattatsu

Good to see Chris Lambert still getting work.

Given the storyline of this game and how it builds on the previous 2, it wouldn't surprise me if NRS wasn't looking to cap off this cycle of MK. Let whatever comes next rock for a bit (has to be Injustice 3 right?) and then when MK comes back, let it be another revision/revitalization of the series.

If they have balls they'll go back to digitized actors. Just imagine shitty Halloween quality costumes being realized in glorious 4K.

9 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Good to see Chris Lambert still getting work.

Given the storyline of this game and how it builds on the previous 2, it wouldn't surprise me if NRS wasn't looking to cap off this cycle of MK. Let whatever comes next rock for a bit (has to be Injustice 3 right?) and then when MK comes back, let it be another revision/revitalization of the series.

If they have balls they'll go back to digitized actors. Just imagine shitty Halloween quality costumes being realized in glorious 4K.

All jokes aside, when there is another MK game (which yeah, you’re right, is probably a ways away), I think they’ll need to switch it up pretty drastically... I can’t imagine them having a similar art style to this, but not using Cary for Shang Tsung anymore, maybe even the same with Lambert as Raiden.

Edited by Mattatsu

Its a weird thing that. NRS is pushing realism with their aesthetics, and honestly doing a pretty damn good job of it. I don't see that changing anytime soon if for no other reason than they seem to be really invested in it. Sort of how all ArcSys games now share that same look; once you've put the money into that kind of visual engine, you want to get a return on it.

MK is theoretically very exciting because they could take another storyline in any number of directions. Imagine a game set entirely from the Outworld perspective from the start, rather than having it kind of grow in that direction. Or go God of War lite and lean into pantheon bullshittery. Or make up some completely new thing - the world is already full of portals and plot macguffins so you can kind of do whatever you want.

In reality we are probably going to get the same stuff rinsed and repeated again in higher fidelity because fandom. But it is certainly a fun thing to kick around.

Yeah, after the Aftermath story (which according to leaks may be redundant), I was hoping the next game would start with the Great Kung Lao 500 years (or 550 years) before the MK1 tournament/story. It would have to have all new human/Earthrealm characters though, which would mean no Scorpion or Sub-Zero, so that’s not happening... At least without retcons up the wazoo.

Ignore everything i said over the last two days... Mileena’s my girl 🤣

Sub felt right (because he’s been my MK main so long), but i wanted to hop on to quickly knock off those Mileena premiere towers that are up, and holy hell, she’s just so fun to play. It really makes the game a lot more enjoyable to me

also bought those movie skins while i was at it 👍

Edited by Mattatsu
23 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, after the Aftermath story (which according to leaks may be redundant), I was hoping the next game would start with the Great Kung Lao 500 years (or 550 years) before the MK1 tournament/story. It would have to have all new human/Earthrealm characters though, which would mean no Scorpion or Sub-Zero, so that’s not happening... At least without retcons up the wazoo.

Can’t you just hand wave it as being their ancient ancestors? Sub-Zero is like a title right? Pretty sure the Edenian characters are all like 900 too. 

I feel like it could work with a couple tweaks, though some characters will take more work to justify than others. As much as I hate it MK already (ab)uses time travel. Liu can used to justify anyone *really* out of place lol. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Can’t you just hand wave it as being their ancient ancestors? Sub-Zero is like a title right? Pretty sure the Edenian characters are all like 900 too. 

I feel like it could work with a couple tweaks, though some characters will take more work to justify than others. As much as I hate it MK already (ab)uses time travel. Liu can used to justify anyone *really* out of place lol. 

You’re right with pretty much everything lol.

Sub-Zero is more of a title, but I do know how he doesn’t know much of his cryomanci ancestors. I am not sure if a lot of the Lin Kuei are cryomancers, I think just the two Sub-Zeros and Frost were, but I could be wrong, but yeah they could always add Sub’s ancestors or whatever (which I would be okay with).

Scorpion may be a different matter though.

and yeah, Kitana, Shao Kahn, Sindel, and Jade, and Shang Tsung (of course) will still be around.

But ultimately, with Liu changing the timeline, he could bring back anybody he wants.

that is as of what we know now though. There was a story leak about two months ago, which seemed like it could be legit based on WB claiming copyright strikes (or whatever) and taking it down. I read a bit of it, but it looked like they had to add a bunch of characters to make it work so I waved it off as BS and didn’t read the vast majority of it. Well, Mileena and Rain were some of the characters in it, and there is still room on the character select screen to add five characters, so we could have another Aftermath style update in the future, but with maybe 5 Characters instead of 3.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

You’re right with pretty much everything lol.

Sub-Zero is more of a title, but I do know how he doesn’t know much of his cryomanci ancestors. I am not sure if a lot of the Lin Kuei are cryomancers, I think just the two Sub-Zeros and Frost were, but I could be wrong, but yeah they could always add Sub’s ancestors or whatever (which I would be okay with).

Scorpion may be a different matter though.

and yeah, Kitana, Shao Kahn, Sindel, and Jade, and Shang Tsung (of course) will still be around.

But ultimately, with Liu changing the timeline, he could bring back anybody he wants.

that is as of what we know now though. There was a story leak about two months ago, which seemed like it could be legit based on WB claiming copyright strikes (or whatever) and taking it down. I read a bit of it, but it looked like they had to add a bunch of characters to make it work so I waved it off as BS and didn’t read the vast majority of it. Well, Mileena and Rain were some of the characters in it, and there is still room on the character select screen to add five characters, so we could have another Aftermath style update in the future, but with maybe 5 Characters instead of 3.

Yeah Scorpion is one of the characters I’m struggling to find a good reason for, or even a suitable replacement. Obviously any of his clan/ancestors could use his weapons, but they wouldn’t have his revenant powers or or his motives.

Him and the Special Forces characters are the ones I’m having the biggest issues justifying. I will say that it would be interesting to see Cage’s god slaying ancestors or whoever the fuck was using the green glow before him. 

Idk anything about the story leaks tbh. I don’t follow MK’s plot that closely that I want to a see anything before it’s official. 

So, a dataminer (TheThiny) found out there was a secret TOT Tower.

Every two hours, at 10 minutes past the hour, a meteor flies across the background while you’re in the TOT main area (with the various different towers).

while it’s on the screen, if you input the following code, a new tower will appear:

Left, Up, Left, Right, Left, Up, Up

it costs a pretty penny to do the fight, but the reward is a random KL skin for the random character you fight. Some people have even won current KL skins. You’ll see the skin before having to pay for the fight. Also, apparently if you keep replaying the fight, you can earn some KL gear as well.

For me (eastern time), this occurs every odd-number hour and I tested it and it works (though I haven’t tested replaying it to earn more KL gear).

also, some of you may recognize the structure of that code (LULRLUU) as the same structure as the MK1 blood code (ABACABB)...

basically, NRS is cool as shit guys.

and @Vhozite that’s a good idea about Cage’s god ancestor. I’m not a huge Cage fan tbh (though I do like him in this game), but I’d be interested in seeing that.

Edited by Mattatsu
On 11/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, misterBee said:

They do, but they're supposed to be used side by side with other attacks. If you use molotov+acid, any combo you do after that will melt their life bar as long as it's a ground combo. Dirtbag is his best variation imo.